Real Time With Bill Maher

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Postby Maui on Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:34 am

Hitchens did say some random things and had a very roundabout way of getting to his point. You kinda had to hang in there with him a wee bit.

Yeah, Maher did give him a few glares. I thought it was funny when he said, boy you really are in trouble if you have to get married to get laid.

Savage is always amusing to watch. I found his little clip at the Obama convention a little snoresville though. I preferred his visit to Huckabee's bible belt.

USS Kaopectate :lol:
Maui
WoWie

Postby Fievel on Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:49 pm

Tonight's Episode:

Tonight, Bill welcomes actor Adam Goldberg, journalist Farai Chideya, fmr. Rep. Joe Scarborough, and Real Time correspondent Jeremy Scahill. Plus via satellite, Clinton campaign chairman Terry McAuliffe.

Counting down....
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:19 pm

Scarborough is a total asshole. It was pretty funny seeing him try to spew out his propaganda only to be interrupted by facts.

-durr... Iraq's never been safer. All the war lords have ordered a cease fire.
-yeah, that's because they were bribed into doing so and when the money runs out they'll start killing again.

-durr... If you take a poll of whether Iraquis are happy with the American population...
-we did take a poll and 80 percent of Iraquis want America out.
-but that was last year's poll... durrr...
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:36 pm

Retardo_Montalban wrote:-durr... Iraq's never been safer. All the war lords have ordered a cease fire.
-yeah, that's because they were bribed into doing so and when the money runs out they'll start killing again.

I didn't get it. One minute they were complaining about the move early on in the war where they disbanded the Iraq military instead of absorbing and paying/bribing them and then a minute later they immediately complain about the same tactic but this time because it has been implemented. Huh?

I'd also like to see some better arguments on Bill's show about Iraq but instead Bill seems to continually go back to the same well of complaints (legitimate complaints but mostly complaints about past fuck ups). I'd rather see critical thought about the present rather than dig up the past bullshit over and over.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Zarles on Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:02 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:
Retardo_Montalban wrote:-durr... Iraq's never been safer. All the war lords have ordered a cease fire.

I didn't get it. One minute they were complaining about the move early on in the war where they disbanded the Iraq military instead of absorbing and paying/bribing them and then a minute later they immediately complain about the same tactic but this time because it has been implemented. Huh?

I'd also like to see some better arguments on Bill's show about Iraq but instead Bill seems to continually go back to the same well of complaints (legitimate complaints but mostly complaints about past fuck ups). I'd rather see critical thought about the present rather than dig up the past bullshit over and over.

Right, but that wouldn't get the audience as riled up and noisy as he'd like them to be. I still like Bill, but his show is turning into the male version of 'The View'.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:25 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:

The idea was to allow the low level Iraqi soldiers who had no real pro Saddam agenda to keep their jobs and assist in the security of Iraq. They would be payed to protect people. Paying soldiers to protect is a good idea. What's happening now is all these insurgence groups are being bribed (not payed a wage to do a job) to not kill people. Paying aggressive militias money to not kill is a bad idea. Maybe offering the soldiers of these militia groups who used to be Iraqi soldiers a job protecting civilians would be a better route, but that is not what is happening.

Maher is just as redundant as John Stewart and Stephen Colbert. The difference in his show is that you can say "fuck" and one of his guests is usually a staunch republican.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:29 pm

Retardo_Montalban wrote:
Chairman Kaga wrote:

The idea was to allow the low level Iraqi soldiers who had no real pro Saddam agenda to keep their jobs and assist in the security of Iraq. They would be payed to protect people. Paying soldiers to protect is a good idea. What's happening now is all these insurgence groups are being bribed (not payed a wage to do a job) to not kill people. Paying aggressive militias money to not kill is a bad idea. .

But they are the same people. The militias consist of the same soldiers that were essentially fired. The concept is no different, the US would have been paying people not to kill each other or US service personnel but in one instance it's seen as "bad" and the other as "good". Major hypocrisy.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:43 pm

The U.S. is not paying these guys to patrol streets and keep the peace at all. They are paying these guys to sit around and do nothing. That's the difference to me. If those militias are being payed to patrol the streets and re institute civil services, then I'd see the hypocrisy. It would have also been a good idea to pay these guy 6 years ago when they were legitimately employed by the state and didn't have a hate on for America. I think the problem might be that Maher isn't really illustrating why exactly paying a bunch of militants to postpone killing Americans and Sunnis is a bad idea. It is a band aide solution. It doesn't really solve anything. When the bribes run dry the killing will go back to the status quo.

To be clearer. It's not paying these people that is the problem. It's what you are paying them for. Its like paying me to be either a pharmacist or a drug dealer. Me being a pharmacist is a good idea, but me being a drug dealer is a bad idea (unless its pot, then its still a good idea).
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:18 pm

I don't see the difference because in both instances it's a Band-Aid solution (as you put it)

A. Pay the majority of the military to patrol the streets. Once the US pulls out the money dries up and then what?
B. Pay the militant militias to not kill people but once the uS leaves then what?

To answer your question the militias are patroling areas so in a way they are doing the same thing just not on the same scale.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:03 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:I don't see the difference because in both instances it's a Band-Aid solution (as you put it)

A. Pay the majority of the military to patrol the streets. Once the US pulls out the money dries up and then what?
B. Pay the militant militias to not kill people but once the uS leaves then what?

To answer your question the militias are patroling areas so in a way they are doing the same thing just not on the same scale.

I don't know, man. I just don't see how paying a soldier to police/protect a country is the same as paying a revolutionary to not kill Americans/civilians in said country. These guys are like FARC to me. Iraq is not a poor country. They are rich with oil. They can afford to pay the wages of their own military if they wanted to. Adam Goldberg said it best when he pointed out that the situation is way too complex and grey for anyone to really say what the definite answer to the problem is.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Maui on Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:39 pm

Zarles wrote:I still like Bill, but his show is turning into the male version of 'The View'.

No tamales for YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Maui
WoWie

Postby Chairman Kaga on Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:58 pm

Retardo_Montalban wrote:I don't know, man. I just don't see how paying a soldier to police/protect a country is the same as paying a revolutionary to not kill Americans/civilians in said country.

Both groups are comprised of the same people. They had no more loyalty to Iraq as soldiers than they do now as revolutionaries.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:45 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:I'd also like to see some better arguments on Bill's show about Iraq but instead Bill seems to continually go back to the same well of complaints (legitimate complaints but mostly complaints about past fuck ups). I'd rather see critical thought about the present rather than dig up the past bullshit over and over.

i agree, this has been annoying me for a while. i think the show would be a lot better without an audience (except for the 9/11 conspiracy people, but that's just so maher can go into the audience and beat them up). i think a lot of times certain guests play to the audience, or they have an agenda and pursue it single-mindedly, regardless of what the other people on the panel actually say. like the iraq guy they brought out at the end, when scarborough took issue with calling paul bremer 'little saddam' that guy just went off on him... never mind that scarborough agreed with everything else he was saying and said both bush and bremer had been stupid for disbanding the iraqi army. maybe if they'd shut up and listened to him for a few seconds, they would've realized he was agreeing with them.

but whenever someone on the show says something about iraq that maher or his guests don't agree with, they end up resorting to the whole "we shouldn't have gone in in the first place"... which i totally agree with, but is also irrelevant at this point because we can't go back in our time machines and change history. i'd rather hear them talk about, now that we ARE there, what's the best way to get out of there?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fievel on Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:04 pm

The thing that bugged me the MOST about the journalist that they brought in was that he wrote a book on Blackwater. He was there to plug the book before via satellite, but I wanted more dirt about Blackwater brought up. Maybe I should just read the book.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:19 pm

yeah, other than mentioning a couple times that there are more contractors than soldiers in iraq, there was really nothing else. i don't even think they mentioned the name 'blackwater' once.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Maui on Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:14 pm

So my radio station that I listen to every morning on the way to work was discussing Bill Maher. How they all hated him. As well people were calling in saying the same thing!!

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Maui
WoWie

Postby Zarles on Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:12 pm

Maui wrote:
Zarles wrote:I still like Bill, but his show is turning into the male version of 'The View'.

Fascist! You're voting for Hillary, aren't you? AREN'T YOU!?
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Maui on Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:43 pm

Zarles wrote:
Maui wrote:

Fascist! You're voting for Hillary, aren't you? AREN'T YOU!?

I can't vote. I'm not a US citizen.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Zarles on Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:03 pm

HA HA!

/nelson
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:50 pm

Bill was pretty okay this past week. The actor (forgot his name and the show he's on) was a better panelist than I would have thought. Not the most insightful, but he had a few things to say and I'll give him credit for that.

The minute the woman pulled her Princeton credentials out in an argument I wanted to catch a flight out to LA, find her, and slap her across the face. I honestly didn't care if she would have rattled off the truth behind the Kennedy Assassination after that because I was through with her. Where you work is NOT ammunition in an argument.

Re. Barney Frank reminds me of a cartoon character and every time I see him on the show I try to figure it out but can't put my finger on it. He's a good guest. Makes me do everything from laugh, applaud, to roll my eyes. Good for him on the marijuana bill. Too bad it'll fail.

P.J.
The show needs more P.J. O'Rourke.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Zarles on Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:54 pm

Fievel wrote:Re. Barney Frank reminds me of a cartoon character and every time I see him on the show I try to figure it out but can't put my finger on it. He's a good guest. Makes me do everything from laugh, applaud, to roll my eyes. Good for him on the marijuana bill. Too bad it'll fail.

Deputy Dawg?

I swear it was Speech Impediment Night on Bill's show this week. I couldn't understand anyone.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:02 pm

Fievel wrote:P.J.

seconded
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby minstrel on Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:26 pm

Retardo_Montalban wrote:
Fievel wrote:P.J.

seconded

Thirded. And P.J. O'Rourke needs more Bill Maher.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Maui on Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:43 pm

I'm a bit behind on the shows. Last episode I saw was the one with Bob Costas.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Fievel on Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:46 pm

Maui wrote:I'm a bit behind on the shows. Last episode I saw was the one with Bob Costas.

I may have actually missed that one!!! :shock:
It originally aired on Feb 8.
So sad. :P
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Zarles on Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:54 pm

The Costas one was decent, but this week's ep kinda blew. I lost interest about halfway through.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:27 pm

Zarles wrote:I lost interest about halfway through.

That's a funny, eh? I feel a that way about a the Bill Maher's career inna general, no?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby Maui on Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:28 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:

That's a funny, eh? I feel a that way about a the Bill Maher's career inna general, no?

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!
Maui
WoWie

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:45 pm

Maui wrote:
DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:

don't be so hard on him. it was probably just the alzheimer's.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Maui on Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:47 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
Maui wrote:
DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:

don't be so hard on him. it was probably just the alzheimer's.

I will defend BILL!!!!! Stop picking on BILL!!!!!!!!!

;) I do mean it though!!!! Or I'll send some nasty PMs.
Maui
WoWie

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:51 pm

Paisans... please, eh? The putz, he has a not a been socially (let alone a comedically) relevant for a the for a the last 7 years, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby Maui on Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:55 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:Paisans... please, eh? The putz, he has a not a been socially (let alone a comedically) relevant for a the for a the last 7 years, eh?

Dino, I haven't typed this in quite some time, but now, more than ever, I feel it's very relevant.

GO TO THE CORNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Maui
WoWie

Postby Fievel on Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:57 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:Paisans... please, eh? The putz, he has a not a been socially (let alone a comedically) relevant for a the for a the last 7 years, eh?

Bah!!! Just because you find a kindred spirit in McCain doesn't mean that there is no humor or relevance in what Maher has to say. Besides that, when he has a good panel with both sides of the political spectrum well-represented, it's a great show.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:59 pm

Fievel wrote:when he has a good panel with both sides of the political spectrum well-represented, it's a great show.

As opposed a to when he donna have a the good panel anna he has a to carry a the show himself, eh?

Hehehehe...
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby Maui on Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:07 pm

Maher's funny and he has a good dose of political savvy. He usually has guests on his panel that are well informed, intelligent, insightful and funny (excluding Trace Adkins and Merle Haggard). Actually Merle was kinda funny.

I don't find anything on his show irrelevant. He is always discussing today's issues, be it political, environmental or otherwise.

It's just different strokes for different folks I guess.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Fievel on Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:14 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:
Fievel wrote:when he has a good panel with both sides of the political spectrum well-represented, it's a great show.

As opposed a to when he donna have a the good panel anna he has a to carry a the show himself, eh?

As opposed to times when his panelists are just plain stupid or not very good speakers/debaters. Or even worse, when he has a guest that SHOULD be good, but for whatever reason doesn't say anything - i.e. Chris Rock last year, when all he did was say "And why is gas so expensive?" over and over. That just blew my mind. Someone must have pissed him off before the show because I'm pretty sure that's literally all he said the entire show.

Maher's standup is great, too. But a lot of that opinion can depend on one's political/social/religious views.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:24 pm

i'm not sure how anyone can say maher is not relevant. his show is always topical (when it's on, which isn't often enough) and usually has some good guests, though not quite as good or as diverse as politically incorrect. and the audience is a lot more annoying now than it used to be. but the material and the discussions are as relevant as they ever were.

if by relevant, you mean the mainstream pays attention to him and his show influences people's opinions... then he never WAS relevant, not even back on PI.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:26 pm

TheBaxter wrote:if by relevant, you mean the mainstream pays attention to him and his show influences people's opinions

Yes, that's a pretty much a what a the Dino, he was a talking about, eh?

TheBaxter wrote:then he never WAS relevant, not even back on PI.

Ah, but iffa that's a true, then a he never would have a hadda to go "unna'derground" after a the 9/11 snafu, no?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby Maui on Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:27 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
if by relevant, you mean the mainstream pays attention to him and his show influences people's opinions... then he never WAS relevant, not even back on PI.

True, which is another good quality. Bill doesn't care - he doesn't throw himself about in everybody's face *ahem* Dr. Phil, Oprah, etc.

He has his show, he writes his books, he does his comedy bits and maintains a low profile, imo.
Maui
WoWie

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:30 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:
if by relevant, you mean the mainstream pays attention to him and his show influences people's opinions

Yes, that's a pretty much a what a the Dino, he was a talking about, eh?

TheBaxter wrote:then he never WAS relevant, not even back on PI.

Ah, but iffa that's a true, then a he never would have a hadda to go "unna'derground" after a the 9/11 snafu, no?

no, he only went from being irrelevant and obscure, to being irrelevant and MORE obscure.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Maui on Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:34 pm

But then we wouldn't get to see shows with truthers in the audience and Bill chasing them out of the building!!!
Maui
WoWie

Postby Fievel on Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:56 pm

Maui wrote:But then we wouldn't get to see shows with truthers in the audience and Bill chasing them out of the building!!!

That was truly a great moment, but I'll be quick to admit - the audience gets on my nerves. They're becoming more and more fanatical. Almost like they're worshiping in the House Of Maher. There used to be some conservative folks in the audience, but it seems that they've either been banished or have just given up.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Maui on Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:58 pm

Fievel wrote:
Maui wrote:But then we wouldn't get to see shows with truthers in the audience and Bill chasing them out of the building!!!

That was truly a great moment, but I'll be quick to admit - the audience gets on my nerves. They're becoming more and more fanatical. Almost like they're worshiping in the House Of Maher. There used to be some conservative folks in the audience, but it seems that they've either been banished or have just given up.

Yeah, the audience is a pain in the a**. I especially hate when the panel looks out to them for approval or a chuckle! Get over yourself. Bill does this too - but in all honesty, I don't need the audience's cue to laugh.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Zarles on Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:57 pm

Maui wrote:
Fievel wrote:

Yeah, the audience is a pain in the a**. I especially hate when the panel looks out to them for approval or a chuckle! Get over yourself. Bill does this too - but in all honesty, I don't need the audience's cue to laugh.

Bill does this the most of all, and it's what irritates me the most about his show. He panders to the crowd when he doesn't need to - say what you want and let the audience decide if it's worth applauding for or not. Once again, I do like Bill, but he's like a leftie version of Steven Colbert that takes himself entirely too seriously.

Oh, and I would like some nasty PMs from Maui. Extra filth, please. :twisted:
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby minstrel on Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:20 pm

I like Bill Maher, even though I have to wash the smug off after watching him. I need a TV with a smug filter.

I don't much care about his relevance. He usually has interesting guests, and that's enough for me.

My main problem with him is his persistent PETA love. I don't need a comedian telling me I shouldn't be eating meat. Thanks very much, Bill, but STFU.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Maui on Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:34 pm

He's on the PETA board, that is why he drills it home on the show about all things PETA.

Not saying it's right or wrong - just his thing.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Maui on Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:37 pm

Zarles wrote:
Oh, and I would like some nasty PMs from Maui. Extra filth, please. :twisted:

Ok, I'll try to find some pics of moldy Tamales. That nasty enough for ya?
Maui
WoWie

Postby Zarles on Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:47 pm

Almost.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:14 am

I want to see John Cusack on the panel. I thoroughly enjoyed his brief interview. It does bother me that nothing will likely be done about the amount of private contracts being thrown around in Iraq. And it bothers me even more than none of the candidates will EVER be asked about that.

Tavis Smiley was good. I'd like to see him on there again soon.

Robin Wright - no wonder Sean Penn's getting a divorce. She looks tired and haggard.... oh wait... nevermind.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:26 am

To play devil's advocate without the private contractors the military would reinstate the draft if just to handle boring logistics like laundry service that's now handled privately. Otherwise they would have nowhere near the personnel necessary. One of the modern prices of an all volunteer service. That said I definitely am no fan of the private armies of mercs like Blackwater but they don't comprise the majority of private contractors over there anyway.

To play contrarian I don't think John was all that comfortable looking or impressive though perhaps on the panel he would be better.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

PreviousNext

Return to Coaxial