Dollhouse

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Re: Dollhouse (O NOES CANCELLEDOES!)

Postby DennisMM on Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:11 pm

A little bit triumphant but very sad. Despite suggestions, we learned that "Epitaph One" wasn't set in The Attic. They didn't save civilization - yet. Somehow, I think they will - or at least mitigate the effects of the wireless imprinting tech. Surely Whedon wouldn't let things end on such a note.

"There are no happy endings, only hopeful ones." - David Gerrold
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Re: Dollhouse

Postby sonnyboo on Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:14 pm

TonyWilson wrote:Dollhouse will be the best show on network TV by a mile, even Lost struggles to be so audacious and meaningful as "Belonging" and "Epitaph One".

Epitaph One never aired on TV....
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Re: Dollhouse (O NOES CANCELLEDOES!)

Postby Ribbons on Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:48 am

Anyone catch the LAST. SHOW. EVAR!!! tonight?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby DennisMM on Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:12 pm

I liked it, but I don't think this and the previous episode were a worthy finish to what had become an intriguing program.

Even in these last, very significant episodes, Eliza Dushku just couldn't bring the power needed to lead the cast. Her Echo remains that, an echo of a human being. Even loaded with her original Caroline identity, she came off as barely a person and certainly not the dynamic individual who would inspire the cast as the character has. How do you solve the problem of a lead performer who's not a very good actor? As usual, the supporting cast had to pick up the slack. Tahmoh Penikett was passable as Paul Ballard, but he's never been anything but a solid, rather blank face on what could have been a more nuanced character. Olivia Williams was strong, as always, as DeWitt. Dichen Lachman showed some new hints to Priya and played well against Enver Gjokaj's Tony. Alan Tudyk, as Alpha, wasn't given much to do, but it was nice to see him and nice to see him working yet another side of the character. Fran Kranz, who irritated me horribly when the show started, was rather touching as Topher. I realized a while back that Kranz isn't annoying; he's just good at acting annoying; Topher has grown as a character probably more than any other in the series.

I had mixed feelings about the story. Obviously, over the course of ten years society would rearrange itself in new ways based on what was left of the old world order. However, the tech warriors/junkies seemed unlikely. Why is imprinting tech now so easy to use that someone can store his fear on a flash drive? This happened in a half-destroyed world? How could the "butchers" sustain themselves for ten years if they were just marauding killers? Even with cannibalism as a food option, it seems to me they would have fought among themselves and wiped themselves out over the course of years. The biggest stumbling block for me was the core concept of the dystopia. Why did someone (it's never made absolutely clear - the Rossum executives and their cohorts? terrorists? anarchists?) destroy civilization in the first place? Turning the world into stumbling slaves just makes the rulers' work harder. Turning half the world into stumbling slaves and half into crazed killers not only makes their work infinitely harder, it's nonsensical. Why would anyone want to rule a world that can't appreciate being ruled? Isn't that satisfaction what absolute power is all about? Perhaps someone just wanted to burn the world down, like The Joker in The Dark Knight. Didn't make much sense to me there and it doesn't make much sense to me here.

The last scene was a bit too happy-kissy-loveydovey for me. I'd have preferred an open-ended Buffy-style closing, perhaps with Echo lowering herself into the chair and the imprinting process starting, then black. Sometimes, not knowing is better.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby RogueScribner on Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:28 am

I feel in the rush to wrap everything up in these past few episodes, a lot got lost in translation and some important bits were glossed over and not given the necessary weight. I think considering the cirumstances, the show ended probably as well as it could have, but I feel like we lost out on a lot of detail and nuance.

If the series had a full season to wrap everything up it may have been better. But then, we you only get so much notice before the end, does it really matter? I'm just glad some sort of closure was given to the series, unlike Firefly (though the movie did help a bit with that).

This show was perhaps a bit too tricky for people. It really demanded a slow burn approach to put all the pieces in order and then start knocking them down when they were all in place. Instead, some pieces were set up slowly, others pretty quickly, and then they all came crashing down rather clumsily. When it's all done, I'm not sure it provided the proper impact. I don't think this series ever found that balance between mission-of-the-week scenarios and the mythology. That balance was necessary for the show to be successful. Lots of people found the MOTW eps to be dull or trifling. But then the mythology eps relied so much on past information that it was impossible for the series to grow its audience. It basically turned into Angel's fourth season: pretty cool for people watching every week, but confounding for anyone just tuning in. I think the show's ultimate downfall was its failure to find a proper equilibrium and it's message was a little muddled in the beginning too (how many people complained about the dollhouse being full of whores and slaves, yet not getting that that was kinda the point?). In the end, it was okay. I enjoyed it for what it was. But I think it could have been so much more if it just had more time to explore its themes and characters.

Conceptually, I don't think the show was ever going to gain a huge audience. It probably would have played better and lasted longer on cable. Whedon just puts out product that's way too dense for most people to easily digest. He's not a "mass audience" kinda guy.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby papalazeru on Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:27 am

What I don't get is, what if Rossums staff were also working underground?
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby MacCready on Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:28 am

Think Whedon has learned his lesson and will avoid Fox from now on? Please? Joss?
MacCready
MAN IN SUIT

Postby TonyWilson on Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:20 pm

The Global Wipe that turned people to dumbshows and butchers didn't happen 10 years previously to the events of Epitaph One and Two, Meg and Zone were sociology student and landscape architect respectively and the young girl wouldn't have been able to talk had she been wiped at birth and given her memories back 10 years later. The wipe probably happened 12-24 months before the events of E1 which gave various techs plenty of time to evolve.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby TonyWilson on Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:27 pm

sonnyboo wrote:
TonyWilson wrote:Dollhouse will be the best show on network TV by a mile, even Lost struggles to be so audacious and meaningful as "Belonging" and "Epitaph One".

Epitaph One never aired on TV....

That doesn't really matter though.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson

Postby DennisMM on Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:08 pm

TonyWilson wrote:The Global Wipe that turned people to dumbshows and butchers didn't happen 10 years previously to the events of Epitaph One and Two, Meg and Zone were sociology student and landscape architect respectively and the young girl wouldn't have been able to talk had she been wiped at birth and given her memories back 10 years later. The wipe probably happened 12-24 months before the events of E1 which gave various techs plenty of time to evolve.

You're right; obviously it was less than ten years. Not sure where you come up with your figures, though. Guess we'll never know unless someone asks Whedon and Co.
DennisMM

Postby TonyWilson on Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:36 pm

Just a guess based on food/supplies for the butchers and dumbshows being readily available. I loved the character beats in the finale and was astounded at how good Kranz and Williams were but it was so very very rushed it's a shame they couldn't have fleshed out the post apocalyptia a bit more/
TonyWilson

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:47 am

Borrowed "Dollhouse" season one a while back and started watching it tonight. One more episode to go on disc 1. I can see pieces of the puzzle already.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Previous

Return to Coaxial