Dollhouse

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Re: Dollhouse (WHEDON'S RETURN TO TV!)

Postby RogueScribner on Sun May 10, 2009 1:50 am

I'm tired, so this'll be short and sweet.

I dig Alpha. I hope he returns (assuming the show does).

I liked Ballard's kind gesture at the end. Especially considering his m.o. all season.

Whiskey.

I have no idea where the show goes from here, but I hope we get to find out.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby swoop91 on Sun May 10, 2009 4:43 am

I liked gfx when Alpha weretalking, and all the screen blinking and stuff, made me feel like
we're in his head.

Echo in the pod was the most awsome ending possible, so she is she in her head after all, even though her soul is
"stored".
Alpha is on the other hand, a typical bad guy, where his evilness is stored deep in his subconscious and he didn't get rid of it
even when he was in his wiped out state. I'd love more of him.

Btw, it could be good, to start from some other dollhouse in some other city, where nathan fillion is the head master :D
swoop91
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Maui on Tue May 12, 2009 7:22 pm

RogueScribner wrote:I dig Alpha. I hope he returns (assuming the show does).

Well he's still out there with his 48 imprints.

I don't think we'll be seeing a second season of Dollhouse - the ratings just weren't there. It's too bad as the show was really starting to show promise.
Maui
WoWie

Postby tapehead on Sat May 16, 2009 2:08 am

Dollhouse gets renewed - Take that, Cynics and Naysayers!
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby tapehead on Sat May 16, 2009 2:12 am

YEEEAAAAAHHHHHHHRRRR! That's right - SUCK IT!
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby BuckyO'harre on Sat May 16, 2009 2:23 am

Time to give credit where credit is due.
We all know who's to thank for this...

Mr. Burl Ives and his petition.

Bravo,sir.
I'm sure Eliza will be sending along a thank you card very soon.
Thank you, Zoners, for the kindness, tolerance, and enlightenment you've shared with me. It may not have been deserved, but it was greatly appreciated nonetheless. Soupy twist.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Sat May 16, 2009 4:14 am

AAAAAAAhahahahahaha. AWESOME.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Maui on Sat May 16, 2009 10:28 am

Who'da thunk it?

This is certainly a pleasant surprise. 13 more episodes!

Thank you Burl!
Maui
WoWie

Postby papalazeru on Sat May 16, 2009 11:14 am

Brilliant news. Absolutely Brilliant.

I like the way Whedon made stuff on the cheap just to show them he can. Excellent.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby darkjedijaina on Sat May 16, 2009 1:31 pm

oh goody! i was a bit upset at the thought that it was over. it has been very enjoyable, minus a few episodes. it did seem to get better as it went along. can't wait for more!
darkjedijaina
BAD ASH

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun May 17, 2009 2:52 am

You're welcome.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby RogueScribner on Sun May 17, 2009 12:18 pm

Just wait until tomorrow when Fox neglects to mention it . . . :twisted:
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby DanielSan on Mon May 18, 2009 10:57 am

It's just a great surprise that Dollhouse is back - even if only for 13 episodes. Let's hope the second season kicks enough ass to warrant FOX picking up the back nine episodes....
DanielSan
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon May 18, 2009 9:17 pm

Yeah I am glad it's back, but it better up its game some. Whedon needs to deliver a solid 13. No time wasters. No filler. Just good fucking adventure. And now that Ballard is a part of things we can lose the subplot where people make him looks stupid week in and week out!
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby papalazeru on Mon May 18, 2009 10:18 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:Yeah I am glad it's back, but it better up its game some. Whedon needs to deliver a solid 13. No time wasters. No filler. Just good fucking adventure. And now that Ballard is a part of things we can lose the subplot where people make him looks stupid week in and week out!

:lol:

I'll agree wtih that. I just hope it doesn't end up being another big company conspiracy saga.

papalazeru

Postby DanielSan on Tue May 19, 2009 11:28 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:Yeah I am glad it's back, but it better up its game some. Whedon needs to deliver a solid 13. No time wasters. No filler. Just good fucking adventure. And now that Ballard is a part of things we can lose the subplot where people make him looks stupid week in and week out!

Word is that's what FOX told Joss. I'm very excited about a second season. Joss's shows get better with age - Just look at Season 1 of Buffy which, while good, is the weakest link in an amazing seven season run.

I don't foresee much Alpha next season - Alan Tudyk is a regular on the new series "V," so I suspect he may be kinda busy...

I do hope we find out why Topher programmed the Doctor to hate him. That's an interesting back-story waiting for more exposition.
DanielSan
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby Maui on Tue May 19, 2009 11:45 am

DanielSan wrote:
I do hope we find out why Topher programmed the Doctor to hate him. That's an interesting back-story waiting for more exposition.

Definitely. An ex girlfriend? There's possibly a connection here too with Topher's play date with Sierra. Did he grab an imprint from Whiskey and program it into Sierra?
Maui
WoWie

Postby DanielSan on Tue May 19, 2009 11:50 am

Maui wrote:
DanielSan wrote:

Definitely. An ex girlfriend? There's possibly a connection here too with Topher's play date with Sierra. Did he grab an imprint from Whiskey and program it into Sierra?

That's an interesting thought. I think there's a possibility that he programmed the Doll with his OWN imprint!
DanielSan
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby Maui on Tue May 19, 2009 1:10 pm

DanielSan wrote:
That's an interesting thought. I think there's a possibility that he programmed the Doll with his OWN imprint!

Programming himself is definitely what it appeared to be - I just think there may be more to it. His play date certainly wasn't dripping with any sexual overtones but then I don't think Topher would do that. He has too much respect for his work to fall into that trap (unlike Dewitt). However, it's probably just Topher being lonely and bored, it's his birthday and he's allowed this geek fun once a year! :D
Maui
WoWie

Postby DanielSan on Tue May 19, 2009 1:41 pm

I must admit that it's enjoyable to ponder such questions with the knowledge that there may actually be answers forthcoming due to the second season!
DanielSan
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby fangeek on Tue May 26, 2009 10:56 pm

I admit it I watched the show randomly. I liked it but it wasnt on my Must See list. Than was until Alpha and Alan Tudyk. By the time the season finale was over I was hooked and all because I wanted to see more Alpha. Hopefully we will be able to even though Tudyk will also be appearing in the new show V. Which I am also looking forward to if only because I lover the original. Hopefully Fox will allow Joss to do what he does best and that is to create great characters and great stories.
fangeek
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby DanielSan on Thu May 28, 2009 3:01 pm

Michael Ausiello wrote:Question: With “Sarah Connor Chronicles” canceled, please tell me there is a possibility of Summer Glau making an appearance on “Dollhouse”! --Jenn

Ausiello: The noise you’re about to hear is the sound of the Whedonverse exploding. Joss confirms to me exclusively that, well, he’s one step ahead of you. “If anybody thinks (bringing Summer onto ‘Dollhouse’) hasn’t occurred to me already then they have not met me,” he says. “I mentioned it to her before (‘SCC’) was canceled. I was like, ‘You know, we should get you in the ‘house.’ But first we have to come up with something that works.” And casting her as a doll would not work, insists Whedon. “Summer would be perfect to play an active, but she’s done that (type of role) a lot,” he says. “I’d rather see her play someone who talks too much. The most fun I have is when I get somebody who’s good and comfortable at doing something, and then I make them do something else. Summer said to me, ‘I would like to play a normal girl before I die of extreme old age.’”

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30984846/

Very cool news, indeed...
DanielSan
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu May 28, 2009 4:01 pm

As much of a Joss-ophile as I am, I admit that i have pretty much the whole season sitting on my DVR, currently unwatched.

Should I watch them?
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby DanielSan on Thu May 28, 2009 4:08 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:As much of a Joss-ophile as I am, I admit that i have pretty much the whole season sitting on my DVR, currently unwatched.

Should I watch them?

Yes. The episodes get better and better as the season progresses. Some really great surprises, and the season finale is fantastic. I can't wait to watch next season!
DanielSan
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu May 28, 2009 4:15 pm

DanielSan wrote:
Lord Voldemoo wrote:As much of a Joss-ophile as I am, I admit that i have pretty much the whole season sitting on my DVR, currently unwatched.

Should I watch them?

Yes. The episodes get better and better as the season progresses. Some really great surprises, and the season finale is fantastic. I can't wait to watch next season!

Excellent, that's what I was hoping to hear.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Ribbons on Thu May 28, 2009 5:43 pm

I just watched the last three episodes yesterday, actually. I'm not a huge huge fan of the show, but it is surprisingly well-done considering all the controversy about possibly getting axed and entire episodes being left off the air. The season finale especially has some really good writing, although I wouldn't go in expecting anything epic on the scale of most Mutant Enemy season finales.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu May 28, 2009 9:20 pm

Moo, it's worth a watch. The show definitely gets better and better, and the final resolution allows next season to be even better.

And hell yeah, bring on Summer.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby BuckyO'harre on Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:41 am

EW interview with Whedon.

Joss Whedon is two weeks into breaking stories for Dollhouse's second season, and we're happy to report that he sounds like a happy man even without that season 1 budget. Whedon wrapped his top-secret horror film The Cabin in the Woods on May 29 and hit the Dollhouse writers' room on June 1. "I just wanted to die of tiredness," he tells EW.com exclusively. "About two hours after starting to talk to the writers about story, I was back with such a vengeance, and so energized and so pumped because we really understand the show now. We understand what works, and what didn't work so well or what we weren't so thrilled about. We don't have the onus of trying to be a big hit sitting on our shoulders. We can just be ourselves. And so the stories we're breaking are pure, and exciting, and everybody's on-board in the room, and it's never flowed better."

What does that mean for Season 2? "I'm really proud of the second half of season 1, and we're just expanding on that in a huge way: Finding out the different things that Eliza [Dushku] can be, at the same time as extending our mythology," Whedon says. "Really, just every meeting is like, 'What's the most fun we can have with this actor?' about the whole cast. All I can say -- 'cause I'm gonna be Mr. Un-Spoiler -- is that we're having a crazy amount of fun, and usually, that tends to translate onto the screen."

Speaking slightly spoilery, Whedon tells us that season 2 won't pick up right with "We've got to find Alpha!" but a little bit later. Alan Tudyk has a role on ABC's midseason series V, but Whedon hopes he'll be able to use the character sparingly: "Alpha will always be a part of the equation." Whedon's also hoping to work out a similar loan with the producers of ABC's Happy Town, who nabbed Amy Acker, aka Dr. Saunders/Whiskey. For more insider scoops, keep reading after the jump.

More scoop: Whedon says that Echo's last word in the finale, "Caroline," was the beginning of her season 2 quest. "Echo wants to find not just Caroline, but what's going on behind everything. She doesn't have all of the skills. [Laughs] But she does have this weird super power of becoming a different person all the time, so she might start using that more specifically to find out who Caroline was and what happened to her and why this place exists." So she still has all those past imprints in her? "Well, they're supposed to have wiped them out of there. But we'll see how well that went..."

Other burning questions: Summer Glau hasn't signed on for any episodes of Dollhouse yet. "We're still breaking the episodes," Whedon says, "but we didn't honestly go into the season going, 'Now how can we figure out how to service Summer?' when we already have a huge ensemble. I adore Summer and she's phenomenal, but I have to service the cast I have first. If something comes up that's good enough, my God, I'd hound her. But the rumors of her becoming a big part of the show are greatly exaggerated."
Thank you, Zoners, for the kindness, tolerance, and enlightenment you've shared with me. It may not have been deserved, but it was greatly appreciated nonetheless. Soupy twist.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:18 pm

Epitaph One

(mild spoilers)

45 minutes of excellent TV that I think proves Whedon is probably more than the equal of Cuse and Lindelof or JJ Abrams. It does resemble Lost a little in it's headfucks and that strange and creepy atmosphere of dread but there's a richer underlying sorta human-ness that Whedon does better than nearly anyone else. You can see why the Fox execs (spits) greenlighted a season 2 of the show after seeing Epitaph One and what Whedon does with his nearly halved budget - he sketches an apocalyptic future in about 3 minutes flat! The focus is on another one of his tightly knit groups, there's still the familiar Whedonesque rhythm to much of the dialogue but it's not cutesy or snarky just a realistic portrayal of people who've been through hell together and have a close bond. There are flashbacks to the characters we know and again Whedon nails the emotional realism, one or two scenes with Topher of all people being upsetting and disturbing. All the criticism the show has come under for being about glorified prostitution and that the main non Active characters all being horrible people is shown to be such a shallow assesment of what was really going on, Whedon has made the subtext the text with Epitaph One and it's damn exciting.

If you've seen the 30 second clip of a bunch of people surrounding Whisky (Amy Acker) with guns drawn then you might have guessed it's set at some point in the future - well some bad bad shit has gone down all related to the Dollhouse technology, with L.A's populace reduced to "dumbshows" or "butchers" there's only a few normal people left and while hiding in the sewers they come across the abandoned Dollhouse and start to piece together various memories that give us a outline of how nefarious the backers of the Dollhouses really are and the beginning of the end for the L.A branch. Whedon tells us just enough to really set our imaginations working and leaves tonnes of great avenues to explore in the second season. It's tense, twisted and frames the rest of the show in a deeper context than it's been given credit for in the past. I should never underestimate Joss Whedon.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson

Postby papalazeru on Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:49 pm

I really want to shout F4NBOY at you, but I can't. You're right.

And it's damned good. I'm interested to see what they make of if memories are interchangable, what about the soul? There's some meat there to be had.

papalazeru

Postby RogueScribner on Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:37 am

Is the DVD out now? Or where did you see it?
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby TonyWilson on Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:01 am

unlegally!
TonyWilson

Postby RogueScribner on Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:50 pm

Got it. :wink:
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby CeeBeeUK on Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:47 pm

Thanks for the heads up on this...

Copy obtained, not sure when I'll get a chance to watch it though. :(
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby RogueScribner on Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:19 am

So I watched it and I think I have to watch it again. It's not action-packed. It's an onion of mystery and morality the layers of which get peeled further and further back in each act. It was pretty dense for 50 odd minutes of film. I could understand why Fox wouldn't want to pay to air it: I doubt it would have done anything to promote the series to n00bs. But for a fan, it was well worth the watch.

So I guess we know everyone survives (to a point) huh? Think that'll deflate from suspense from the series?
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:21 am

Are you guys talking about some un-aired episode?
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby RogueScribner on Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:01 am

Yeah, the episode Joss shot for the DVD to fulfill his 13 episode commitment. Fox chose not to air it. It's called "Epitaph One" and it takes place 10 years in the future.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Maui on Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:33 am

Sweet, this episode is finally available.

Thanks for the 411!
Maui
WoWie

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:23 pm

Well I liked the ramifications of the dollhouse tech, but that episode was boring. Good ideas, but bad execution. That little girl was a shit actor.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby swoop91 on Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:03 pm

That little girl was a little girl.

And the episode was one of the best I've watched, and Tony Wilson wrote
basically everything down already.

Whedon is showing once again he's a showmaker en par JJ or Ldude. Or even above them,
he makes miracles without budget, we basically see one scenery and abit of static CGI.
He makes his show about people, his characters, and evokes lots of feelings by showing us
flashbacks a la Lost, just more intense, shorter and a lot more spread across the character base.

He makes fans feel good about watching Dollhouse, in a manner we came to love cast of Firefly, or Angel or even Buffy.
swoop91
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby RogueScribner on Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:49 pm

RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:17 pm

RogueScribner wrote:Apollo to reunite with Helo!

Sounds like a guest star spot, but fun!
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby DanielSan on Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:30 pm

Just got Season 1 on DVD. Loved the unaired episode. Can't wait to see where Joss takes us. He said he has a 5 year plan in his head for the series - let's hope we get to see them all!!
DanielSan
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby papalazeru on Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:17 pm

Can anyone believe it's back soon?

2009-09-17

In a months time, one of the most refreshing TV shows is back. I really hope it follows what was left on the 'extra' ep. Great design, great show.

papalazeru

Postby DanielSan on Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:55 am

DanielSan
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby swoop91 on Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:19 pm

OH boy OH BOY!

fuck me I want that s2 now!
swoop91
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby papalazeru on Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:56 pm

swoop91 wrote:OH boy OH BOY!

fuck me I want that s2 now!

Agreed Swoop. Only a few more weeks to go.

papalazeru

Postby Stainless on Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:48 pm

omg somebody please post that bad ass summer glau pic <3
I'd like to offer moral support, but I have questionable morals.
Stainless
GLIB

Postby DanielSan on Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:19 pm

Stainless wrote:omg somebody please post that bad ass summer glau pic <3

It's called Google.
DanielSan
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby TonyWilson on Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:13 pm

Do you mean the one of her with the umbrella (not like that Kirk)? Because it is kinda awesome.
TonyWilson

PreviousNext

Return to Coaxial