Doctor Who

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Re: Doctor Who Series 4 (SPOILERS)

Postby papalazeru on Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:15 am

Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:49 pm

Just started watching this show. Finished the first 2 series and am on series 1 of torchwood. Basically I am hooked ;)
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:20 pm

Hooray!!!

I am an absolute Doctor Who fanboy now. I adore the show. I am ashamed that I do not have a better understanding of the history. But I do have a total man crush on David Tennant. His last episode will be difficult to watch, but I have enormous expectations for Series 5.

Welcome aboard, SFG. And, yes, it is bigger on the inside than on the outside. :wink:
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:12 am

stereosforgeeks wrote:Just started watching this show. Finished the first 2 series and am on series 1 of torchwood. Basically I am hooked ;)

Torchwood gets better.

The first half of series 3 is a bit lame, but the latter half is about as good as Doctor Who gets.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:15 am

Fried Gold wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:Just started watching this show. Finished the first 2 series and am on series 1 of torchwood. Basically I am hooked ;)

Torchwood gets better.

The first half of series 3 is a bit lame, but the latter half is about as good as Doctor Who gets.

Is that right? I stopped after the first season of Torchwood because i just wasn't feeling it. But it gets better, you say?

I may have to revisit it then.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:21 am

Good to know FG. Ive been liking some of the Torchwood stuff but I am more interested in what happens in the 21st century than the actual standalone plot stuff. SHould finish series one within a day or 2 and then onto series 3 of Who.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:32 am

Leckomaniac wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:

Torchwood gets better.

Is that right? I stopped after the first season of Torchwood because i just wasn't feeling it. But it gets better, you say?

The second season of Torchwood was a massive improvement. It was able to run on it's own without being a dangling plot thread left over from Doctor Who (they also managed to better balance the overly flamboyant random bisexuality).

And then with the third series (Children of Earth) they really brought their A-game to the screen.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:35 am

Fried Gold wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:

Torchwood gets better.

The second season of Torchwood was a massive improvement. It was able to run on it's without being a dangling plot thread left over from Doctor Who (they also managed to better balance the overly flamboyant random bisexuality).

And then with the third series (Children of Earth) they really brought their A-game to the screen.

Excellent stuff. IIRC, I still have Series 2 of Torchwood on my computer (I just never bothered watching it). Come to think of it, I also have that Jekyll mini-series on there as well. Maybe I will give them both a look.

Thanks, FG.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:39 am

Just stopped in to say how incredible Blink was. Just finished season 3 of Who and am now starting season 2 of Torchwood. At this rate ill be finished shortly =[.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby The Vicar on Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:32 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:Just stopped in to say how incredible Blink was. Just finished season 3 of Who and am now starting season 2 of Torchwood. At this rate ill be finished shortly =[.

Blink was superb - won an award for being so, I believe. Also loved Silence in the Library, another truly outstanding episode.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:34 pm

The Vicar wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:Just stopped in to say how incredible Blink was. Just finished season 3 of Who and am now starting season 2 of Torchwood. At this rate ill be finished shortly =[.

Blink was superb - won an award for being so, I believe. Also loved Silence in the Library, another truly outstanding episode.

Yup, Moffat is the man. I am also quite fond of Girl in the Fireplace.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:45 pm

There's a Dr. Who marathon all day Sunday on BBC America.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:32 am

Leckomaniac wrote:
The Vicar wrote:

GirlIn the Fireplace was really good too. The way it commented on the Dr and Roses's relationship without being too blunt. Also its awesome just for the character design on those clockwork machines!
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby The Vicar on Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:38 am

Leckomaniac wrote:
The Vicar wrote:

Another fine ep, despite the French. The automontons were quite excellent.
The Vicar

Postby Bob Samonkey on Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:58 am

The Vicar wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote:
The Vicar wrote:

All fantastic eps. I miss Dr. Who. I loved the Torchwood Children of Earth but it was not enough for me. Did not get a good fix. Then Planet of the Dead happened but was far too short. I need more damnit!!
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:57 pm

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:
The Vicar wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote:
The Vicar wrote:

All fantastic eps. I miss Dr. Who. I loved the Torchwood Children of Earth but it was not enough for me. Did not get a good fix. Then Planet of the Dead happened but was far too short. I need more damnit!!

It's currently looking like we'll get the next special "The Waters of Mars" in November sometime, and the last two specials at Christmas.

And if you like to stay completely spoiler-free, do not look anywhere remotely near the teaser trailers for the Christmas specials.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:11 pm

Thanks for the advice FG! I do, indeed, like to remain spoiler free.

I want Doctor Who to return so badly. I am so anxious to see the new Doctor.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Hermanator X on Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:50 pm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/sep/22/david-tennant-absolute-radio-breakfast-show

Doctor Who actor David Tennant is to guest-host the Absolute Radio breakfast show for a week in November in the run-up to his final appearance as the Time Lord.

Tennant, who will step down from his role as the doctor after three specials that will air towards the end of this year, will co-host the show with his friend and regular frontman Christian O'Connell.

O'Connell said on his Twitter page: "All done deal - David Tennant will be co-hosting the Absolute Radio Breakfast Show with me for a week in November! And i mean in from 6-10am!"

...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:20 am

New logo here
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:55 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:New logo here

And here - for UKers - http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/logo/index.shtml

Not sure why they felt the need to make a new logo...but it does look good.

Merrick's opinion of "...any kid owning a notebook wearing that logo will most likely have the shit beaten out of them for it, so don't expect this fashion trend to last too long." makes him seem quite out of touch. Doctor Who is seen as more than acceptable (and quite possibly "cool") by schoolkids...in this country anyway.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:16 pm

Fried Gold wrote:

Merrick's opinion of "...any kid owning a notebook wearing that logo will most likely have the shit beaten out of them for it, so don't expect this fashion trend to last too long." makes him seem quite out of touch. Doctor Who is seen as more than acceptable (and quite possibly "cool") by schoolkids...in this country anyway.

Merrick is a fool. Such a useless contributor. The moment I see his name I don't even bother to read his editorial asides. I just read the news and move along.

I do like the logo. And I just saw a photo of the new companion filming in short shorts and a police uniform. Holy hell! Hot stuff.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:49 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:

Merrick is a fool. Such a useless contributor. The moment I see his name I don't even bother to read his editorial asides. I just read the news and move along.

That's because you're not cool ;)

Who's that guy?
Where did he come from?
Who's that guy?
Please tell me someone.
I never knew anyone could be so cool.
Whoa oh oh
Who's that guy?
He's just amazin'!
From headlight to tailpipe, his burners are blazin'.
Pink Ladies: Looks to me like he could really fly!

papalazeru

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:00 pm

MATT SMITH IN COSTUME!

Love the tweed and bow tie! And I may end up building idols of Karen Gillan. She has me ensnared.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:30 pm

Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:51 pm

That must be fairly soon after regeneration as he's still wearing David Tennant's costume, not the new tweed outfit.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:56 pm

I absolutely could not be more excited for this. Excellent stuff. Thanks Tyrone!

November is the next special, correct? GRRR! TOO FAR AWAY!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:27 am

Leckomaniac wrote:MATT SMITH IN COSTUME!

Love the tweed and bow tie! And I may end up building idols of Karen Gillan. She has me ensnared.

What, this girl?

I'd like to be locked in a wee blue box with her......
The Vicar

Postby papalazeru on Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:03 pm

Just seen the new Ep of Doctor Who.

I'm a bit perplexed by something, the last time the Doctor messed with time, wings demons came to clean up the mess. Now he can do it himself? What gives?

Still, I thought it was an alright ep, I've seen better but it was still interesting nonetheless. The doctor is at its best when at his darkest.

papalazeru

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:51 pm

papalazeru wrote:Just seen the new Ep of Doctor Who.

Still, I thought it was an alright ep, I've seen better but it was still interesting nonetheless. The doctor is at its best when at his darkest.

I thought it was brills, and a quite macabre and unkidified story. I did think it was about to go downhill when he decided to save them, but then the ending made it all seem rather profound.

I'm a bit perplexed by something, the last time the Doctor messed with time, wings demons came to clean up the mess. Now he can do it himself? What gives?

The Reapers turned up when a paradox was created - Rose saving her dead father - as the Time Lords weren't around to prevent it.

In this case, I guess no paradox was going to occur. (Yeah, it's inconsistent. But then the Doctor farks about with time, it's kinda the basis of the show.)
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby King Of Nowhere on Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:37 pm

She shot herself in the face, yeah?
Doesn't that mean that the doctor didn't change fuck all?

She's dead either way, so her granddaughter will still go on to do whatever. All that changed was the web pages with news on them.
You've got 2 people running about, possibly telling people they traveled through space in the blink of an eye. They'll probably be institutionalised.

I thought the episode was filler, 55mins of nothing & 5 mins of setting up the Christmas episodes. The doctor just stood about moping for most of the episode. He's done that in pretty much every episode since Rose stopped being a companion.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby judderman on Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:24 pm

Could have been a lot better, but was OK. Shame kiddie constraints forced them to pull their punches. As anyone who's watched Japanese horror movies knows, water can be terrifying if done right. Nice nod to the Ice Warriors (they really didn't have a choice; they HAD to shoehorn them in somehow) but it does raise the question of how they managed to evolve on a planet that was also home to an unstoppable destroyer of worlds. It just made me hunger for next year, when Moffat finally takes over and we get some genuine scifi stories, instead of these glorified kiddie soaps Davies always hands us. One thing to be said about Moffat, he understands that there are things you can do in a scifi narrative that you can't in any other, and he plays them to the hilt.
judderman
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:26 pm

Just finished watching it - one of Tennant's finest episodes, absolutely breathtaking in places and kept me glued to the screen throughout. This is a powerful story and isn't really about the monster in the dark at all - it's the story of a man with god-like influence, who has become drunk on his own power. This is NOT the Doctor of old. He's suffered survivors guilt since the death of his own people, which was partially his doing. He has had to watch so many friends die, had to follow the rules and not always interfere with events. And finally we see him snap and say 'Fuck the rules'. The Waters of Mars is an examination of the power and choices afforded The Doctor and how he chooses to wield them. Tennant totally convinces with his performance that enough is enough and he CAN do something to stop it this time. As a result, he acts out - becoming self absorbed and believing in the idea of being a Lord of Time for the first time really - and almost loses it all in the process. Powerful stuff in my opinion. Roll on Christmas....
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:55 am

Just watched Waters of Mars. I loved it. Was really surprised that Davies had this in him. One of his better eps. Loved Tennant, as usual. It really did a great job of referring back to his first ep when he was deciding what type of man he was. Really solid stuff. The Christmas ep can't arrive quickly enough. I wish I could watch it live. :P
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:08 am

This is the small preview clip of the next episode shown last week - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-AW_IFHyUc
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:30 am

Fried Gold wrote:This is the small preview clip of the next episode shown last week - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-AW_IFHyUc

Very much looking forward to this. Loved John Simms performance before.

papalazeru

Postby thomasgaffney on Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:32 am

Still love John Simm as the Master. Most of "The End of Time Part 1" was okay, but seeing James Bond and the High Council and the rest of the Time Lords scream, "For Gallifrey!" was fucking awesome.
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby ONeillSG1 on Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:51 am

thomasgaffney wrote:Still love John Simm as the Master. Most of "The End of Time Part 1" was okay, but seeing James Bond and the High Council and the rest of the Time Lords scream, "For Gallifrey!" was fucking awesome.

Wholeheartedly agree.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby The Vicar on Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:25 am

Fuck living in the USA - BBC America will get this I don't know when, but right now I don't get BBC America so it doesn't matter anyway.
Shitbiscuits. Want to see. Now. Sims was so damned good as The Master. Crap on a stick.
The Vicar

Postby papalazeru on Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:06 pm

As it's a 2 parter, I'm undecided until the outcome of the show. There's lots going on.

If the device was supposed to mend people, how come it didn't fix the Masters drumming?

For the rest of us who read spoilers or have seen it, ignore the next bit of text...
the doctor with a melon.

Good stuff. Great performance by Simm but he had fun with the Master last time, I wouldn't expect anything less.

papalazeru

Postby thomasgaffney on Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:44 pm

The Vicar wrote:Fuck living in the USA - BBC America will get this I don't know when, but right now I don't get BBC America so it doesn't matter anyway.
Shitbiscuits. Want to see. Now. Sims was so damned good as The Master. Crap on a stick.

I'm also in the USA, Vic. BBC America got End of Time: Part One on the air on December 26th. The day after it debuted on BBC One. They're going to have the same turnaround with Part Two and air it on January 2nd (BBC One on Jan 1st) AFTER a 46-hour David Tennant Doctor Who marathon. GET YOURSELF TO A TV WITH THE CHANNEL, Vicar!
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:15 pm

I watched it on Christmas Day and I thought it was part of a good evening of television from the Beeb - The Incredibles, Dr Who, James May, Dad's Army.

I saw it again today and:

Good Things
- The main three of Tennant, Simms and Cribbins.
- Those one-on-one dialoguey bits were rather brills - Bernard Cribbins & Tennant in the cafe. Simms & Tennant in the dust (although a bit reminiscent of Batty & Deckard at the end of Brade Wunner)
- Timothy Dalton, Galifrey & The Time Lords (Yeah cuss you Americans, suck on that spoiler)

Somewhere in between things
- June Whitfield's OAP Gang

Bad Things
- The Master's ressurrection was so clumsily dealt with and raises lots of continuity questions. That was the best idea they had?
- That shaky head effect when The Master replicates himself. Again...That was the best idea they had?
- The new characters associated with Naismith and his gate were so poorly acted and so paper thin.

Overall I could see the potential for entirely awesome and great episode, but it was missing something to pull it all together. I wasn't getting any particular sense of threat and, as with the last appearance of The Master, any possible horror or scare was neutralised with an overly comedic nature.

Telling us that Tennant was leaving was probably a mistake. Knowing the outcome is fine as long as the journey to that outcome is interesting. RTD has had three specials leading to this and hasn't as effectively built up enough of an arc.

....unless, there is a cussing great big payoff of epic proportions next Friday.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby King Of Nowhere on Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:03 am

Fucking shit. I wasn't gonna say anything, but that's what it was.

The resurrection was a joke. He's not a fucking witch ffs. I thought we were going to get a bit with Simm walking into a pub & saying "i need your clothes, your boots & your motorcycle" as well. I'm guessing the black hoodie & flashes of his skull are references to the last time he was rotting away & out of regenerations, i could be wrong though, it's not like Russel bothers much with the past. Why the fuck is he Raiden now anyway? If he knows he's unstable & needs to eat all the time because he's constantly fading back into nothingness, shouldn't he be conserving energy? Fuck Matt Smith, I want the first episode of the new Dr. Who to be Simm running about with a battery pack wired up to his hearts, fucking Amy Smart & trying to survive Power Rangers type battles with Dalton.
If the machine heals, his hair should've went back to normal. Instead, it looks like you're meant to run a healthy specimen through it & it'll heal the rest of the world. That's botched story telling, but i'm sure they'll write it off as The Master programming it to do what he wants. Anything with even a mention of Obama became classic beeb. The shaking face, the lens flare, the facepalm... it was hilarious. The "TPM Senate" bit at the end would have been good if they spent more than £2.50 on it as well. The best part of the episode was when Simm was the audience for the speech & one of him is in a suit with arms that are too long, clapping & laughing. He needs to go back to comedy.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:11 am

Must. Avoid. Spoilers.

Must. Avoid. Spoilers.

I want to click this thread, but I haven't seen part one yet. STOP BRINGING THIS THREAD UP AND TEMPTING ME YOU BRITISH DEMONS! A MAN CAN ONLY TAKE SO MUCH!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:17 pm

That was full on epic and rather brilliant, loved the final scenes with the companions and the hints that the Doctor's mum might just be one of the Weeping Angels from Blink!!! What a way to set it up for Moffat and Matt Smith.

"On your knees, Mankind"
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby The Vicar on Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:08 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:Must. Avoid. Spoilers.

Must. Avoid. Spoilers.

I want to click this thread, but I haven't seen part one yet. STOP BRINGING THIS THREAD UP AND TEMPTING ME YOU BRITISH DEMONS! A MAN CAN ONLY TAKE SO MUCH!

C'mon, kid. Peek. Look upon the spoilers and despair! You know you want to . Why not read - just a little. Go on. Go on. DO IT!!!
The Vicar

Postby The Todd on Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:38 pm

The Todd cried.

Adios, David Tennant.
i reject your reality and substitute my own
The Todd
AIRWOLF

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:24 am

Lecko has seen it! Rejoice!

Ok, so the first half was so disappointing. I just kept watching hoping something good would happen. UGH! It was all the worst of RTD. Plus, I wish The Master would have remained dead. His refusal to regenerate was so awesome! Why soil that with a shoddy resurrection? BOO! Wasn't there some other way to achieve the goal of bringing back Galifrey? Lame sauce.

Which, of course, brings me to the closing seconds and the reveal and HOLY SHIT BALLS! was I excited to watch part 2. It did seem like a whole bunch of work just to get us there. And why the shit is The Master shooting lightning bolts and jumping around like Clark from SMALLVILLE because he hasn't learned to fly? Plus the eating thing was just silly. I mean, is this at all a befitting send off for such a brilliant Doctor?

Part two was such an improvement, thankfully. But really, it was all build up for that great, great, great moment. Oh my, was Tennant in fine form. The annoyance! The petulant child! The "I've lived too long." The "it's would be an honor." Oh my, what a moment. Lecko cried. Oh yes, he did. And the reward! It was like a leaky faucet in Lecko's apartment.

It wasn't all perfect, but when we got to where we all knew we were headed...well that was why I tuned in and it didn't disappoint. You will be missed, Mr. Tennant.

"Allons-y!"
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bastard_robo on Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:23 am

So sad to see them go...That last 10 minutes was just magic...

The Preview for the next season.. Totally different, tone and style... I love Moffets eps, but I'm at odds to see what he dose with the show, mostly because I enjoyed the Tennant/Davis run so much...

We'll see come spring time.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby papalazeru on Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:29 am

I don't like the look of the new Doctor.

There's something Comagnon about him. That protruding skeletal brow - just put some horns on him and make him a demon.

papalazeru

Postby The Vicar on Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:35 am

papalazeru wrote:I don't like the look of the new Doctor.

There's something Cromagnon about him. That protruding skeletal brow - just put some horns on him and make him a demon.

Put me a bit in mind of Patrick Troughton.
I've two questions - after The Timelords and The Master were thrown back into the "bubble", and Gallifrey is shown receding from Earth, what in hell was that woman yelling? Sounded like "Gallifrey Boy" or something. And are we to assume that the woman who kept appearing to Wilf was The Doctor's mum?

Best parts? "I borrowed a quid from....." That was sweet. And solving the riddle of why The Master was such an asshat,along with his quasi-redemption ( ei farking up Rassilon) - also the source of the deadly four knocks.

Starts up again this spring? Good.
The Vicar

PreviousNext

Return to Coaxial