Doctor Who

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Re: Doctor Who Series 4 (SPOILERS/YOUR REVIEWS)

Postby papalazeru on Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:08 pm

What do people think?

Was that his daughter after a few regenerations, or did he actually fall in love and get shacked up because Earth girls are easy?
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:20 pm

Have the names of any timelords been used before, or are they all known as "The..."?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby CeeBeeUK on Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:34 pm

Wasn't Romana a Timelord (lady?)?
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:22 pm

papalazeru wrote:Was that his daughter after a few regenerations, or did he actually fall in love and get shacked up because Earth girls are easy?

Future companion and, presumably, his wife. It would have to be someone he trusts implicitly and cares for like nobody else in order for him to share with her his real name which, for reasons we don't yet know, is a name that holds great pain and guilt for The Doctor. Hopefully, we'll never find out his real name cos that's part of what makes The Doctor a mystery.

Fried Gold wrote:Have the names of any timelords been used before, or are they all known as "The..."?

These are some of the ones I can remember, but I think you'll find there are plenty more:

Susan (The Doctor's granddaughter)
The Rani
Romana
Omega (as in The Hand Of...)
Rassilon
Azmael
Morbius
The Valeyard (a version of The Doctor from between his 12th and 13th regenerations, a weird amalgamation of the bad parts of The Doctor)
Chancellor Flavia
Chancellor Goth
Chancellor Thalia
The Meddling Monk
Jenny (The Doctor's daughter)

CeeBeeUK wrote:Wasn't Romana a Timelord (lady?)?

See above.
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:50 pm

So his name is likely to be something classical sounding yet a bit pompous.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:59 pm

Cunilingus Maximus or possibly Ligadore gladiatorial.

papalazeru

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:23 pm

Fried Gold wrote:So his name is likely to be something classical sounding yet a bit pompous.

A reasonable assumption - I always thought it would be something like Alpha (as we already have Omega) or maybe even The Other, but that only relates to the DW novels. Don't think they are canon.
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby The Vicar on Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:37 am

Lest we forget:
Castellan Kelner
Borusa,
Councillor Hedin
Lord Gomer
Lord Savar
Rodan
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby papalazeru on Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:48 pm

Thanks for the possible names but I don´t think that it matters.

Awesome Ep. Both of them.

Very impressive. I´m suprised that they still call this family entertainment. It´s actually quite dark.

The one problem I do have is the way they escape. It could have been so much darker. I didn´t like Donna´s story. it´s typical BBC; the other universe...It saves money being a childs world.

There were some aweomse moments though.

I´ll go with the NokNok name just because its teh funniest thing in Dr. Who universe.

papalazeru

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:24 am

SERIES FINALE MASSIVE SPOILER IMAGE!!

I'M NOT KIDDING!! DON'T GO ANY FURTHER!! SPOILERS!!!

What's evil, ugly, has three eyes and sits down permanently? :wink:
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby TonyWilson on Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:05 pm

Blimey, Midnight was pretty incredible as it goes. Certainly Tennant's best performance as The Doctor, tight direction, ace concept and really good dialog too.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:37 pm

TonyWilson wrote:Blimey, Midnight was pretty incredible as it goes. Certainly Tennant's best performance as The Doctor, tight direction, ace concept and really good dialog too.

100% agree with you mate. A very cerebral episode, more about the mind and losing control. Loved the whole thing of everyone turning against The Doctor as opposed to turning to him. Russ wrote a bloody strong episode here, good on him.

Got to say, I found it incredibly unecessary and innacurate of Herc to use the phrase 'lame-duck showrunner Russell T. Davies'. RTD gave us back the show and has done some great stories. Yeah, I know 'Love & Monsters' is god damn awful, but Russ has written some greats - tonight's included.
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby CeeBeeUK on Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:32 pm

Worst Part's Almost Over wrote:
TonyWilson wrote:Blimey, Midnight was pretty incredible as it goes. Certainly Tennant's best performance as The Doctor, tight direction, ace concept and really good dialog too.

100% agree with you mate. A very cerebral episode, more about the mind and losing control. Loved the whole thing of everyone turning against The Doctor as opposed to turning to him. Russ wrote a bloody strong episode here, good on him.

Got to say, I found it incredibly unecessary and innacurate of Herc to use the phrase 'lame-duck showrunner Russell T. Davies'. RTD gave us back the show and has done some great stories. Yeah, I know 'Love & Monsters' is god damn awful, but Russ has written some greats - tonight's included.

I think that's a political term (thanks West Wing!) for a person in power whose days are numbered. Bush will be (more of) a Lame Duck President after the polls close in November, until the inauguration in January.

Edit: and I liked the episode. It built tension quite nicely and didn't feel the need to explain the minutiae of the alien/spirit/whatever!
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:36 pm

CeeBeeUK wrote:I think that's a political term (thanks West Wing!) for a person in power whose days are numbered. Bush will be (more of) a Lame Duck President after the polls close in November, until the inauguration in January.

Gotcha. I retract my annoyance with The Herc.

CeeBeeUK wrote:I liked the episode. It built tension quite nicely and didn't feel the need to explain the minutiae of the alien/spirit/whatever!

There's always something great about seeing situations where The Doctor has no idea what happened, even by the end of the story.
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:45 pm

I just watched 'Midnight' again and it really is excellent. The Doctor in a situation where he is not only powerless and clueless to what is actually going on, but he can't even 'rally the troops'. Instead, everyone he's trapped with is against him and paranoid about his intentions. It shows the flipside of human nature which we don't often get with Doctor Who. RTD himself says he wrote this episode as a direct opposite to 'Voyage Of The Damned'. In that episode, we have lots of people trapped together and The Doctor is able to bring out the best in them all. With 'Midnight', RTD wanted to give us the exact opposite and show people turning on each other and paranoia running wild. And look at the expression on The Doctor's face in the scene where they're just sat waiting for the rescue team to pull up alongside them - he looks like his faith in humanity has taken a major blow.

It's a great concept and I think RTD executed it well. Tennant was on top form, he was stunning in the scenes where he is possessed - the fear and sadness in his eyes....the supporting cast were largely enjoyable and it was a psychologically frightening episode - no monsters or obvious scares, just creepy atmosphere to freak out the audience. And the lack of resolution at the end of the story just added to the overall feeling of the episode. There are no obvious answers, things aren't neatly wrapped up until next week. Instead, it's a frightening and tense experience from which The Doctor derives no greater knowledge than what he had at the start of the episode.

Go watch this week's Doctor Who Confidential too, cos hearing them talk about the themes of the episode really shows just how much thought went into this one.
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby papalazeru on Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:33 pm

I don't think anyone here mentioned that in Midnight.

David Troughton was in this ep, son of Patrick Troughton, the second Doctor.

Interesting little fact that.

WPAO and FG probably already know that though but forgot to post it.

papalazeru

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:10 am

The Directors name is Troughton too; just a coincidence?
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby papalazeru on Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:28 am

Retardo_Montalban wrote:The Directors name is Troughton too; just a coincidence?

Probably not :D

I'm sure the officianado's FG and WPAO will know whether that's a coincidence or not.

Typical, you get to be a Director in TV because of your name. I'm changing mine to Verhoeven.

papalazeru

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:44 am

Spoiler.

The new Red Dalek (although I'm sure red Daleks have been used before...or perhaps that was The Dumbledore Daleks.)

Mod edit.

TW.

FG edit.

Fine.
Last edited by Fried Gold on Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:20 am

They hardly changed him at all....awesome.

papalazeru

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:08 pm

Thanks FG for providing the Davros pic - didn't realise my link had gone down.

As for the Red Daleks - yeah, they were in the movies. But this is not the same, this Dalek is special :wink:

Oh, and over at the DW forums earlier today someone leaked promo pics from 'The Stolen Earth' - BBC took them down now cos they're still under the embargo until next week. But one of them was an image of Dalek Caan all busted up and chained!
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:30 pm

Worst Part's Almost Over wrote: But one of them was an image of Dalek Caan all busted up and chained!

Back to the old Dalek Civil War from "Remembrance of the Daleks"....?

If you've read anything spoilerish about the next three episodes, it does seem like they've, at least, built up another excellent premise for the finale (even if they end up unsatisfactorily resolving the story again).

Pretty much every major character from the past four years appears in some way.

All those "leaked" pics are here here. Although it seems like the BBC are being a bit lax about stuff getting released. Uncharacteristically, a lot of major plot points are already out there. (whereas the past three finales have been kept under wraps for the most part)
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:29 pm

Damn fine episode I thought, consider I didn't like the premise when I first heard it.
I must admit, that I think I'd rather stay in London than end up in Leeds ;)

Certainly solid performances by Catherine Tate and Billy Piper.

I'm really looking forward to the final episodes, looks like everything's in there.

papalazeru

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:03 pm

It ranks in at #2 in Doctor Lite episodes.

I still think that the BBC/Who showrunner should've done a better job at hiding the premise of the finale. I know they've likely got stuff in store that we don't know about, but I reckon the whole thing would have had more impact without this amount of pre-release.

That they're making efforts to include more explicit references between the three Who shows now could be interesting. Torchwood took a year to shed it's tether to Doctor Who, and became much better for it. Sarah-Jayne adventures, on the other hand, seemed to improve the more it linked itself in. Will an all-emcompassing finale work, or will it be detrimental to the individual components. We shall see - it does seem that they're going balls to the wall this time.

Just look at this trailer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MR9EZhYzxr4 (spoilerish)
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bob Samonkey on Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:37 pm

Fried Gold wrote:FG edit. Besides, only three people read this thread and they already knew about it. So there.

We Americans are just behind and don't always post cause we don't wanna muck up the system...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:57 pm

Well, Catherine Tate showed all naysayers who the boss is in 'Turn Left' - her acting was astounding. And my god, my heart nearly broke when Wilf said 'Labour camps - that's what they called them last time.' And RTD killed fucking everyone! :D

FG - if you want to chat about a possible theory regarding the finale (specifically Bad Wolf and the possible Resolution of the Daleks) that me and some DW Forum members have come up with, I'd be interested to hear your opinions on it.
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby TonyWilson on Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:27 pm

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:FG edit. Besides, only three people read this thread and they already knew about it. So there.

We Americans are just behind and don't always post cause we don't wanna muck up the system...

Exactly, Bob. Thank you for illustrating why we have specific spoiler rules in the Zone.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:33 pm

I will concede the point.

But to be fair, the thread is called "Doctor Who Series 4 (Spoilers/Your Reviews)". Isn't the warning inherent to the thread itself?

Worst Part's Almost Over wrote:FG - if you want to chat about a possible theory regarding the finale (specifically Bad Wolf and the possible Resolution of the Daleks) that me and some DW Forum members have come up with, I'd be interested to hear your opinions on it.

I can start a thread for it in The Havocroom...or potentially use this "messenger" thing all the kids talk about these days.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:35 pm

SPOILER IMAGES BELOW!!! YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!!

Here's our first look at the exterior AND interior of The Crucible, shown earlier on Blue Peter!

Man, they've really kicked the budget through the window on this one!!! Seems that Davros' plan from years back to turn planets into weapons has been a success then. So so so excited!!! :mrgreen:
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:43 pm

Official Site preview clip for The Stolen Earth is up!!

(UK only, as per usual).

Damn, this is going to be amazing. Sarah Jane nearly broke my heart in this clip. And Jack....you can see how much he wants to protect the ones he loves, even though he knows it's hopeless.
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:59 pm

Holy. Shit. Batman.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:00 pm

It all was a bit Meh!

Davros was amazing but I just thought the cliffhanger was really poor.
I also wish they wouldn't do so many outdoor scenes (the streets at night) in the studio.

And how come, with all this Alien technology and all the experience they have with the Daleks, they still think they can kill them with FUCKING STUPID BULLETS!!!!!

Obviously what's going to happen is the doctors regeneration causes the Darleks to stop and head for the TARDIS

When are they NOT going to use the Daleks for the end of series.

Last weeks was better.

papalazeru

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:35 pm

Are you ever pleased by anything....?

If it had one fault, it's that dialling 07700900461 doesn't do anything..even though they went to great trouble showing us what the number was. If this was a US show, you'd ring the number and Dalek Caan would pick up.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby judderman on Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:48 pm

Not bad, though I wish they had updated Davros a bit. 20 years of prosthetics technology and he looks.. exactly the same.

Since Tennant is going to be in next year's specials, it seems unlikely that this regeneration is "real", unless the Doctor has wasted a regeneration and is now on life 11.

I loved how all the recurring characters reacted to "EXTERMINATE!!", especially Sarah-Jane and Jack.
judderman
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:02 pm

I don't think the limited number of regenerations things is considered legit anymore.

I too don't think he's going to fully regenerate...not yet anyway.

I thought it had the impact that the previous Dalek stories had been lacking since "The Parting of the Ways". Even though we know the eventual outcome, they actually have some threat to them again.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:08 pm

There was a blatant shot of The Doctor's severed hand at the beginning of the episode, I'd guess it will play some part in keeping Tennant Tennant, as it were.
I also thought it was a great episode. I know I've dissed RTD on here but he does pull out some big ideas and cool moments, I just hope his problem with endings has been addressed.
TonyWilson

Postby papalazeru on Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:10 pm

Why do the Daleks say, 'Maximum extermination'?

Do they have a light extermination setting which does't kill you, only murders you?

I did enjoy and it's nice to see everyone back in one ep...I just can't get over the studio sets, it looks so fake.

papalazeru

Postby darthevilbob on Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:28 pm

I really enjoyed it, the production seemed much more in keeping with an american show - it was almost like watching a film version.

Lots of good stuff here, but as we know RTD will fluff up the ending.. and who is inside the Red Dalek suit, is it still Harriet Jonesor someone else (since mrs Prime minister was apparently killed - offscreen)

I would like it if he backward regenerated to Mr eccleston or Mr Mcgann (becuase their out of sync with the universe?- how good would that be? so when he gets killed again it goes back to david Tennant etc..? (seems something that RTD would do?)

also on the bbc site it says Doctor who will be a 65 mins next week (woohoo) http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho

I enjoyed this far more than any other cliffhanger end of series episode...
darthevilbob
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby papalazeru on Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:33 pm

darthevilbob wrote:also on the bbc site it says Doctor who will be a 65 mins next week (woohoo)

I enjoyed this far more than any other cliffhanger end of series episode...

I'm all for that.

I second that Woohoo!

Damn good to have a full sized meatier episode and a half.

Maybe he turns into John Simm :D

papalazeru

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:49 pm

papalazeru wrote:I just can't get over the studio sets, it looks so fake.

Which sets in particular?

The specials next year were created so that David Tennant could appear in both Who and Hamlet in 2009...thus one must assume he's not going yet, otherwise the specials next year have no point. So something must stop or change the circumstances of the regeneration:

- Captain Jack does old energy absorbing party trick
- The Hand in the Jar comes into play
- the 1-second delay thing of the Medusa Cascade has an effect.

I've also wondered where the Time Lords are in the parallel universe...
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:53 pm

Fried Gold wrote:Which sets in particular?

The night shots on the streets, they look so fake. The reason it sticks in memory is because it's the first thing I noticed and it wouldn't let go.

There was something about it which seemed false.
Last edited by papalazeru on Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

papalazeru

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:55 pm

papalazeru wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:Which sets in particular?

The night shots on the streets, they look so fake. The reason it sticks in memory is because it's the first thing I noticed and it wouldn't let go.

They weren't sets. The Confidential episode showed them being filmed in Caerphilly or somewhere.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:57 pm

There's just something about them which feels wrong. I'm trying to watch it back on Iplayer but it's difficult to tell on such low resolution.

papalazeru

Postby darthevilbob on Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:16 pm

They were actually film round the corner from me in Pontypridd, although I missed it goddamn it! I recognise the shops
darthevilbob
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:38 pm

papalazeru wrote:There's just something about them which feels wrong. I'm trying to watch it back on Iplayer but it's difficult to tell on such low resolution.

They do seem to use a lot of bright white lighting in them, which perhaps makes the night time street scenes look a little odd sometimes.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:46 pm

That was a fucking awesome episode!! Excellent. Just excellent. Julian Bleach nailed Davros and was more unsettling and creepy than any of his predeccesors. The tension throughout was incredible and it was just such an insane and utterly brilliant episode. I honestly don't think I've ever been more excited about seeing a conclusion to a series finale of any show more than I am about this one. 5/5

As for the regeneration - there is a theory that's been knocking around for months now and it's looking pretty much 100% accurate at this point. The Doctor's regeneration is a botched one (this wouldn't be the first time - Baker to Davison and Davison to C. Baker). If you noticed, his right hand is the first point the regeneration appears to begin. Remember the old hand in a jar? The right hand? Well, let's just say there may be 2 Doctors in next week's episode, both played by one actor :wink:

As for the complaint about the Daleks coming back yet again - they were in the classic series all the time for the first few years and the whole story is building to something of a 'resolution of the Daleks'. Think about why the Daleks still keep coming back after the Time War. Think about the reason that the universe seems to keep them around. I will say no more :wink:

Of course, if you'd like to spoil yourself full of speculation, go to the Doctor Who forums and read this thread which will make clear the theory myself and others have regarding the Daleks and the conlusion of this storyline. It's a good theory I feel, so check it out if you want to know more. Sorry guys, I'm not willing to repost the entire 3 page thread! :-P
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:34 pm

Worst Part's Almost Over wrote:
As for the regeneration - there is a theory that's been knocking around for months now and it's looking pretty much 100% accurate at this point. The Doctor's regeneration is a botched one (this wouldn't be the first time - Baker to Davison and Davison to C. Baker). If you noticed, his right hand is the first point the regeneration appears to begin. Remember the old hand in a jar? The right hand? Well, let's just say there may be 2 Doctors in next week's episode, both played by one actor :wink:

Bare in mind that the two doctors theory only came about because someone had taken snaps of Tennant wearing two different suits during filming...and they made the giant leap to that...

Also bare in the mind the giant number of supposed concrete spoilers that existed before this episode showed...like:

- The Eighth-Ninth Doctor Regeneration being explained
- The Torchwood Pterodactyl and a Dalek fight
- Harriet Jones appears when the Red Dalek opens up it's case.
- Adam Mitchell is linked to Davros
- The Doctor will fall into the Medusa Cascade and become trapped.
- Jenny Who and K9 team up
- Jenny Who dies
- Donna is revealed to be a Time Lady
- Davros built the new Daleks using Earth's bees...

(all that taken from supposedly reputable spoiler sources for that episode)
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby judderman on Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:48 am

Stephen Fry says his brother was turned into a psychopathic serial killer by missing the second ever episode of Doctor Who.

Podgram #4
judderman
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby Al Shut on Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:28 am

As usual Germany is behind several years/seasons.

I hate David Tennant enough to stop watching the show.

That is all.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:28 am

Journey's End trailer!!

Squuueeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!! :mrgreen:
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

PreviousNext

Return to Coaxial