Doctor Who

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Re: Doctor Who Series 4 (SPOILERS/YOUR REVIEWS)

Postby TonyWilson on Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:36 am

So anyone reckon Donna is a timelord? She definitely heard the sound of drums when she was sitting on the stairs in the Shadow Proclamation base.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:49 am

TonyWilson wrote:So anyone reckon Donna is a timelord? She definitely heard the sound of drums when she was sitting on the stairs in the Shadow Proclamation base.

No, she is 'something new' as the young lady pointed out to her :wink:
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby papalazeru on Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:56 am

Worst Part's Almost Over wrote:
TonyWilson wrote:So anyone reckon Donna is a timelord? She definitely heard the sound of drums when she was sitting on the stairs in the Shadow Proclamation base.

No, she is 'something new' as the young lady pointed out to her :wink:

Timelady?

:lol:
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Bones on Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:51 pm

I am unsure if this is the proper place for this...but it is a spoiler of a Magazine Article about the Doctor...

Who am I kidding....it is a shameless self promotion!
At this year's San Diego ComicCon, the 2008 Tripwire Annual will be out with many cool and interesting articles...including a History of the Doctor, with a 2-page illustration by Jeff Carlisle (yours truly) covering 45 years and 30 series of Doctor Who!

and here are the individual pages:

If this is a flagrent abuse of this space....well, I hope you like it!

Jeff
"Remember: Wherever you go, There you Are..."
Doctor B. Banzai, 1984
Bones
GLIB

Postby ONeillSG1 on Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:52 am

Awesome!
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby ONeillSG1 on Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:47 am

Worst Part's Almost Over wrote:Of course, if you'd like to spoil yourself full of speculation, go to the Doctor Who forums and read this thread which will make clear the theory myself and others have regarding the Daleks and the conlusion of this storyline. It's a good theory I feel, so check it out if you want to know more. Sorry guys, I'm not willing to repost the entire 3 page thread! :-P

Started reading that and my eyes crossed. Jesus. You need a PhD in Who-ology to start reading that.
Last edited by ONeillSG1 on Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby papalazeru on Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:01 am

Shameless promotion room alert!

meh! Well let you off this once.

Looks good.

papalazeru

Postby ONeillSG1 on Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:25 am

I found this post on the Doctor Who forums quite hysterical. Page three. Too bad I can't make it a sig:

Mr Dark wrote:Possibly, or possibly some abstraction taken from Beowulf - the cyclical nature of the sins of the fathers revisiting, destructively on the one hand but yet placing at the same time in the hands of those affected the opportunity to redeem their true selves from the bond of guilt if only they have the courage to actually face the truth. Hwæt!

Lynxpro wrote:I thought the moral of the story was that yes, if Angelina Jolie approaches you, you damn straight give her the sexy time her body deserves, but make sure she's either on birth control or you donkey punch her in the stomach because otherwise, she'll give birth to some beast that will shame the hell out of you and eat the towns people.

ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby Bones on Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:41 pm

Thanks for letting me off the hook. Glad you like it. I have been a huge fan of the Doctor since they started playing them on PBS in the afternoons in 1980. I have seen everything since Tom Baker took over and most of everything that is available before. I am really enjoying the current series...and am very interested in where it will go next...
"Remember: Wherever you go, There you Are..."
Doctor B. Banzai, 1984
Bones
GLIB

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:48 pm

ONeillSG1 wrote:
Worst Part's Almost Over wrote:Of course, if you'd like to spoil yourself full of speculation, go to the Doctor Who forums and read this thread which will make clear the theory myself and others have regarding the Daleks and the conlusion of this storyline. It's a good theory I feel, so check it out if you want to know more. Sorry guys, I'm not willing to repost the entire 3 page thread! :-P

Started reading that and my eyes crossed. Jesus. You need a PhD in Who-ology to start reading that.

Took me a while to get my head around it but once I did it seemed like such an awesome idea for the resolution of this series.

Oh, by the way....

:mrgreen: 1,000th POST!! :mrgreen:
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby The Vicar on Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:18 am

Bones wrote:Thanks for letting me off the hook. Glad you like it. I have been a huge fan of the Doctor since they started playing them on PBS in the afternoons in 1980. I have seen everything since Tom Baker took over and most of everything that is available before. I am really enjoying the current series...and am very interested in where it will go next...

Looked very good indeed.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby papalazeru on Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:46 pm

Not sure if I really liked tonights ep.

On one side I really enjoyed Davros' performance and the Daleks were fun but the whole thing about revealing the doctors soul - it felt a little hit and miss.

I really didn't take to there being another Doctor which got left in the parallel univserse, all for Rose.

I enjoyed the ending but I didn't like who Donna, who I'd certainly learned to love her performances, had to have her mind wiped.
I was quite looking forward to a Doctor Donna - seems quite funny.

papalazeru

Postby Belac on Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:03 pm

I thought it was okay. Last week's set-up was better than this week's pay off, but Davros' confontation with the doctor and some of the emotional beats were very good.

Some of it was ridiculous though. The Earth gets pulled across the universe and all it causes is a bit of shaking? THE MOON STAYED IN THE SAME ORBIT WITHOUT THE EARTH BEING THERE? Those kind of things really take you out of the story. It's ok every now and then, but there was probably at least 10 similar things in the same episode.
Belac
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby papalazeru on Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:45 pm

Belac wrote:I thought it was okay. Last week's set-up was better than this week's pay off, but Davros' confontation with the doctor and some of the emotional beats were very good.

Some of it was ridiculous though. The Earth gets pulled across the universe and all it causes is a bit of shaking? THE MOON STAYED IN THE SAME ORBIT WITHOUT THE EARTH BEING THERE? Those kind of things really take you out of the story. It's ok every now and then, but there was probably at least 10 similar things in the same episode.

Hell yeah. And towing the earth from 0 to 600 million in 20 seconds was a bit ridiculous but it did give the doctor that 'joie de vivre' feel.

Plus, i thought where they were was 'between worlds' so how could he just tow it back? The doctor that they were 'out of sync' with everything else so shouldn't he have to teleport it?

papalazeru

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:10 pm

As RTD story conclusions go, it wasn't too bad. It felt like a complete story with an ending.

If one thing was great about it - the direction, camera work, visual effects. A lot of TV looks very flat. This was dynamic, it had depth and it had quality. Hopefully Graeme Harper will continue to be given episodes.

As always the acting was to a decent standard - the guy playing Davros was superb - , no particularly over-cheesy moments, and everyone in the story served a purpose...

...except Rose. I cannot figure out what the reason for her inclusion was....other than for RTD to start wiping some of the slate clean.

The extra episode length did tell though, I'm not sure if it justifiably used the extra fifteen minutes. I thought all the character resolutions worked well, with the exception of Donna who seemed a bit short-changed - after developing the character so well, to undo leave her without those memories was a tad disappointing. In the same way pushing the reset switch last year after The Master was disappointing. Although it does ramp up the melodrama, which is needed after all the technobabble. Just felt like they left it on a downer yet again - you need a positive ending at some point.

(The scientific inconsistencies...it's never been steeped in realism, so I'm prepared to see past those things with Doctor Who.)

On it's own - 7/10. Combined with the last episode 9/10.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ONeillSG1 on Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:53 pm

Just wondering:

Staying within the realm of the story: Why couldn't the Doctor use the machine he used in Family of Blood to change his DNA in order to save Donna?

Maybe I missed something there (other than it was her time to leave) but it could have been a way to explain her not having to loose her memories.

I think it could have worked: the Doctor could have re-written her DNA so as to meld the Time Lord and Human aspects and compensate for the memories and such.

Well, I guess anything is possible. In fact, would be a bad idea in case they want to bring her back.

EDIT:

Also thought this was funny, found it over on the former OG forums:

flyboy5287 wrote:One does have to wonder how much the Doctor cares for Rose anyway, judging by the conclusion to the whole shipper saga.

"Rose, I don't like you enough to stay, but here, have my genocidal clone."
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby Shan on Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:33 am

Don't overthink Doctor Who too much or you might find yourself asking the question as to why the Doctor has on average been getting younger in appearance after each regeneration (until he couldn't realistically get a much younger actor than Peter Davison playing him) as he gets older while all the other Time Lords (eg Borusa as just one example) seemed to tend towards getting older in appearance after each successive regeneration.
Shan
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby papalazeru on Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:07 am

Shan wrote:Don't overthink Doctor Who too much or you might find yourself asking the question as to why the Doctor has on average been getting younger in appearance after each regeneration (until he couldn't realistically get a much younger actor than Peter Davison playing him) as he gets older while all the other Time Lords (eg Borusa as just one example) seemed to tend towards getting older in appearance after each successive regeneration.

It's the fashion. Everybody's doing it nowadays.

Don't be so gauche.

papalazeru

Postby Simon Quinlank on Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:29 pm

Shan wrote:Don't overthink Doctor Who too much or you might find yourself asking the question as to why the Doctor has on average been getting younger in appearance after each regeneration (until he couldn't realistically get a much younger actor than Peter Davison playing him) as he gets older while all the other Time Lords (eg Borusa as just one example) seemed to tend towards getting older in appearance after each successive regeneration.

There is a whole load of dodgy storytelling and plot devices from the annals of Doctor Who. Most of it is contradictory and inconsistent, a lot of it doesn't make sense, and lot of it is on par with Voyager technobabble.

The current showrunners have done the right thing in keeping mostly clear of the old ways and creating it's own mythology.

As for the finale, twas okay considering it had plot holes you could drive a bus through. The regeneration things ended up looking like a botched wrestling storyline with "SWERVE!!! THE UNDERTAK...THE DOCTOR'S NOT DEAD!!!". I expected Dalek Caan to end up starting a Nu Dalek stable and cut promos against Dalek Supreme.

...also..the whole "there just happens to be a big keyboard thing that controls all the Daleks in the corner of Davros' lab...which a) the Daleks didn't seem to think about before and b) Davros never decided to use it to take control. It seemed like they built it up and built it up and wrote themselves into a hole. They could have had Donna just unplug the thing and go the same result.

The Daleks also seemed to miss Micky & Sarah-Jayne running away AND Jackie teleporting...

Ultimately, the revelation that it's been Dalek Caan tweaking the course of event didn't have much impact - "oh by the way it was this blob of Dalek boogie that's been manipulating the timeline...next.

Rose was in the story for no discernable reason. RTD gave her a less satisfying conclusion than the one she got in Doomsday...but ended up getting her own version of the Doctor, meaning fan fic writers now have material for years to come. (why didn't Rose use her multiverse-travelling capabilities to try and find some other alternate universe Time Lords?

Micky and Martha, probably will do alright moving to the now primetime BBC1 Torchwood.

Donna's ending seemed to just be thrown in there to balance out all the happy endings, so as to not completely copy Return of the King.
I AM THE KING OF ALL HOBBIES
Simon Quinlank
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby papalazeru on Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:47 pm

Simon Quinlank wrote:Ultimately, the revelation that it's been Dalek Caan tweaking the course of event didn't have much impact - "oh by the way it was this blob of Dalek boogie that's been manipulating the timeline...next.

I think it's quite easy to buy into the fact that Caan could convince the Daleks of his way being right because he could predict the future so he could convince the Daleks.

papalazeru

Postby ONeillSG1 on Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:08 pm

Regarding the regeneration thing, did the Doctor tell Davison's doctor in Time Crash that "when your young, you want to look older, and when you're older you want to look young" in order to sort of explain away the anti-aging look of the Doctor?

Naturally, that bit of Who made sense. Why? Because Steven Moffat wrote it.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby Shan on Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:12 am

Actually, what happened in Time Crash was to explain why Peter Davison didn't look his youthful late twenties, early thirties self when he met David Tennant. Being a 'younger' version of the Doctor, the 'older' the future version he met, the 'older' that particular younger version looked physically aka a time differential. The effects of which would disappear when the 5th Doctor returned to his own time stream. Peter Davison has aged very well but not completely unnoticeably in the intervening years.

As for the other thing David Tennant said about trying to act all old and serious when you're younger as a Time Lord, well - that was to cover the fact that the early incarnations were in fact played by people upto several decades older than Tennant is now. As opposed to just about every other Time Lord who is played by young people in their early incarnations and older people in their older incarnations back in the day of the original series.
Shan
MONKEY BUTLER

Re: Doctor Who Series 4 (SPOILERS)

Postby ONeillSG1 on Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:57 am

Just wondering: When is Torchwood coming back with Mickey and Martha in tow?

And it's moving to BBC1? Does that mean no cursing or Dumbledore/straight sex scenes?
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby papalazeru on Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:26 am

ONeillSG1 wrote:Just wondering: When is Torchwood coming back with Mickey and Martha in tow?

And it's moving to BBC1? Does that mean no cursing or Dumbledore/straight sex scenes?

Oh god. I hate that show.

How can you do gritty drama with a Welsh lead. It's awful.

papalazeru

Postby CeeBeeUK on Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:49 am

papalazeru wrote:
ONeillSG1 wrote:Just wondering: When is Torchwood coming back with Mickey and Martha in tow?

Oh god. I hate that show.

How can you do gritty drama with a Welsh lead. It's awful.

The second series was a vast improvement over the first though.

The first series was so up itself, trying to be 'serious' sci-fi and ignoring it's cheesy Dr Who roots. The second series starts with a fish(!) driving a sports car, narrowly missing a little old lady who cusses out the "Bloody Torchwood" crew as they chase him down.

The writers (/creator) realised that humour doesn't always equal childish. Not taking itself definitely made the second series more watchable, while still managing to sneak in some very dark episodes, such as the 'returned' storyline. Ham fisted though it was ;).
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby papalazeru on Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:53 am

It's still got a Welsh lead.

papalazeru

Postby CeeBeeUK on Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:03 am

papalazeru wrote:It's still got a Welsh lead.

You have a problem with the valleys, boyo?! ;)
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:28 am

Go here for more information.

And having Welsh, cursing, ghey sex having scifi characters on BBC1 means the Big British Castle can tick any number of minority interest boxes!!!
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:30 am

Fried Gold wrote:

And having Welsh, cursing, ghey sex having scifi characters on BBC1 means the Big British Castle can tick any number of minority interest boxes!!!

It also means they can do everything on the cheap in Cardiff.

If they ever need a set where they don't have to pay for trolls and monsters...there you go. Friday night filming.

papalazeru

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:38 am

I thought the first series of Torchwood was a big disappointment, lacked the integrity it needed and had wasted the potential to be something better.

I thought the second series, having been away to backed away from just being a Who spin-off. It has intelligent and exciting storylines and presented them well.

That the Beeb are switching to this new format suggests they're treating it the same way as they do "respectable" stuff like Dalziel & Pascoe, Waking The Dead etc etc
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:40 am

Fried Gold wrote:I thought the first series of Torchwood was a big disappointment, lacked the integrity it needed and had wasted the potential to be something better.

I thought the second series, having been away to backed away from just being a Who spin-off. It has intelligent and exciting storylines and presented them well.

That the Beeb are switching to this new format suggests they're treating it the same way as they do "respectable" stuff like Dalziel & Pascoe, Waking The Dead etc etc

...and Bonekickers. :lol:

The new word for 'fucking shit'

papalazeru

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:45 am

"Stay tuned for more "bonekicking" action over the summer...on BBC ONE....and now The One Show".....
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ONeillSG1 on Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:02 pm

Fried Gold wrote:

First of all, screw word filters.

Second of all, HUH? Five episodes? That's it? Or did I miss something?

How long will this episodes be?

Also I love how the site referred to Owen as "Doctor Misery"!!! That is the perfect name for a villan of some kind.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:16 pm

ONeillSG1 wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:

Also I love how the site referred to Owen as "Doctor Misery"!!! That is the perfect name for a villan of some kind.

I love how I wrote that too.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:14 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
ONeillSG1 wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:Go here for more information.

I love how I wrote that too.

I love how you drop that in there, all subtle like.

papalazeru

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:39 pm

papalazeru wrote:...and Bonekickers. :lol:

The new word for 'fucking shit'

In all honesty Paps, did you not piss yourself laughing when you first saw that advert? Old lady version of Indiana Jones and then the title comes up, I fucking howled myself stupid :lol:
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby ONeillSG1 on Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:33 pm

Fried Gold wrote:I love how I wrote that too.

Oh crap, that's your site!?!? AWESOME!!!! Hey, if you ever need someone to freelance for you, let me know. I could use some online clips from a reputable website. And to do it on Sci-Fi news would be a bonus!

Also, you can only embed three quotes within each other now? Boy, this new Zone is going to be loads of fun. Le sigh.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby ONeillSG1 on Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:16 pm

Just wondering: Was Donna from London or somewhere else? Having a brain fart of a moment here and Wikipedia is no help.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby CeeBeeUK on Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:31 am

ONeillSG1 wrote:Just wondering: Was Donna from London or somewhere else? Having a brain fart of a moment here and Wikipedia is no help.

Off the top of my head I want to say Chiswick, so yes! (it may have been Ealing, my memory ain't what it used to be.)
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby papalazeru on Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:35 am

ONeillSG1 wrote:

Oh crap, that's your site!?!? AWESOME!!!!

Too frickin right it's awesome.

papalazeru

Postby ONeillSG1 on Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:14 pm

papalazeru wrote:
ONeillSG1 wrote:

Oh crap, that's your site!?!? AWESOME!!!!

Are you involved in the site too or are you just happy for FG?
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby MacCready on Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:51 pm

Torchwood has seemed consistantly better than Who, at least for me.
And I'll miss Sato.
The Doctor needs to dial down the over-earnestness a few notches.
That would improve things.
But there's not much left of Tennant's Doctor. is there?
MacCready
MAN IN SUIT

Postby papalazeru on Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:09 pm

ONeillSG1 wrote:
papalazeru wrote:
ONeillSG1 wrote:Oh crap, that's your site!?!? AWESOME!!!!

Are you involved in the site too or are you just happy for FG?

B4NNED!!!

:wink:

NO, it's just a good site with lots of info.

papalazeru

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:26 pm

MacCready wrote:The Doctor needs to dial down the over-earnestness a few notches.

...but....HE'S SORRY...HE'S SO SORRY....AGAIN...
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MacCready on Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:51 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
MacCready wrote:The Doctor needs to dial down the over-earnestness a few notches.

Oh yeah, you know what I'm talking about.
Emoting to the "back of the house".
MacCready
MAN IN SUIT

Postby papalazeru on Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:00 pm

MacCready wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:

Oh if only you knew what that meant, consider you're use to dealing with a paranoid crowd of blood infected aliens ;)

even though I wasn't the greatest fan of the finale (last ep, the penultimate was great), I still felt that Tennant's performance was spot on for his Doctor and the character.

You leave him alone before I test your blood.

papalazeru

Postby ONeillSG1 on Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:38 pm

MacCready wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:

Leave him be. He's going to Hamlet you know. He needs the practice.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby The Vicar on Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:58 pm

If he tells Yorrick he's "so very sorry....",
it'll be a short run.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby ONeillSG1 on Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:29 pm

The Vicar wrote:If he tells Yorrick he's "so very sorry....",
it'll be a short run.

No, I'd think he'd probably smile him off and then run off stage whilst in trainers.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:10 pm

Ah Hamlet....always running...
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

PreviousNext

Return to Coaxial