Doctor Who

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Postby Bob Samonkey on Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:45 am

Worst Part's Almost Over wrote:
The Vicar wrote:
Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:
The Vicar wrote:When will BBC America start running it?
Soon, I hope.

They are still finishing up Series 3 so I am guessing no...

But hold!
There were ads on the telly today for D4!
Can't remember if it was Sci-Fi or BBC, though.
I was in the midst of my BSG frenzy last night.

Looking into this for you dude.

Found it! The Christmas episode airs on April 18th on the Sci Fi channel with the 4th season following after that. Starts alot sooner then I thought it would!! I am excited as I am just finishing up the 3rd series right now on BBC America...

Edit: The Sarah Jane Adventures are on just before Dr. Who the same day
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:13 am

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:Found it! The Christmas episode airs on April 18th on the Sci Fi channel with the 4th season following after that. Starts alot sooner then I thought it would!! I am excited as I am just finishing up the 3rd series right now on BBC America...

Edit: The Sarah Jane Adventures are on just before Dr. Who the same day

:shock:

Brain. Exploding.

Life just got a whole bunch better.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby judderman on Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:39 am

You know, you can watch the new eps on BBC IPlayer

Well, annual the RTD Christmas/premiere crapfest is over. Here's waiting for the Stephen Moffat creepshow in episode 8.

And Mega-spoilers!!

It's now pretty obvious that Rose will be coming back in ep 11, but how is she able to move to and from her universe so easily?

And who is the "ancient" enemy that will appear in the final 2-parter (if not Davros)? And, biggest of all, will RTD fuck this one up as badly as he did the last one?
judderman
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:11 am

judderman wrote:And, biggest of all, will RTD fuck this one up as badly as he did the last one?

I'm sure the build up will be better than the pay-off again.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ONeillSG1 on Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:57 am

What a great way to start the series off!!!!

Fun, fun, fun. And Catherine Tate isn't so grating after all. She has a comedic timing which suits DT fine.

So, this is it for DT, I assume? The arc with his version of the Doctor is pretty much at an end.

Shame. He's is such a great actor.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby bluebottle on Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:10 am

Tenant is supposed to do the specials next year, so unless we're being lied to (which is entirely possible) this isn't the end of the 10th doctor.

I didn't love the season opener. I'm starting to lose faith in RTD's writing ability here. I've been an apologist for so long, but I really thing the strain of the show has taken it's tole... Last year (apart from the 2 part Dalek in Manhattan fiasco) his episodes were the worst (imo) and he still hasn't redeemed himself for the shitty season finale last year.

Oh well...

I mean, I keep telling myself that the worst RTD script is still better than anything that came out of the 6th and 7th doctor's eras (not including the virgin na's or the big finish audios...)

but again, i feel like i'm being an apologist.

bring on the moffat episodes!!!
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:35 pm

judderman wrote:
It's now pretty obvious that Rose will be coming back in ep 11, but how is she able to move to and from her universe so easily?

And who is the "ancient" enemy that will appear in the final 2-parter (if not Davros)? And, biggest of all, will RTD fuck this one up as badly as he did the last one?

I'm a little worried since Rose has mysteriously appeared and can jump back and forth. The doctor said that it wouldn't be possible ever again so it's eithe rthe Darleks with a some time shifting or the cybermen.

Or maybe even Tom Baker....:lol:
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Logan5 on Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:51 pm

ROSE!!!!

I wanted to scream it louder but it's kinda spoilerish...
Logan5
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Logan5 on Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:52 pm

papalazeru wrote:
judderman wrote:

I'm a little worried since Rose has mysteriously appeared and can jump back and forth. The doctor said that it wouldn't be possible ever again so it's eithe rthe Darleks with a some time shifting or the cybermen.

Or maybe even Tom Baker....:lol:

Or shitty writing...
Logan5
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:30 pm

Logan5 wrote:ROSE!!!!

I wanted to scream it louder but it's kinda spoilerish...

It's already been unspoilerised so you might as well go ahead.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:08 pm

yeah like, Rose is actually the bad person at the End of series 4.

Oops!

Shouldn't have talked wtih my friends at the Beeb!

papalazeru

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:11 pm

Rose is the new Master.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:21 pm

Fried Gold wrote:Rose is the new Master.

A Rose by any name but smell as sweet.

papalazeru

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:12 pm

Rose is the new Davros.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:45 pm

See...now, I'm not sure if you're being serious there FG.

You think so?

She is from the Cybermen parallel now. Possibly a cylon hybrid considering how well BSG has done

;) but not really.

papalazeru

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:48 pm

In actual fact, I have no idea where they're going with the Rose thread. Like I said above, even though we knew she was returning, I'd no clue a)how they'd do it and b) that they'd spin it from the start.

One assumes that either the big bad of the series has something to do with or that the Superman ending to the last series has cracked open the spacetime continuum again.

OR...and it's a big OR....Rose has made contact with a time-lord from the parallel universe she's in....

...the possibilities are endless.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:36 pm

Fried Gold wrote:OR...and it's a big OR....Rose has made contact with a time-lord from the parallel universe she's in....

...the possibilities are endless.

There was a theory that reared its head on the Doctor Who forums a while back, suggesting that maybe The Master is the good guy in Rose's universe, and that she will turn up with him in tow. This would certainly explain John Simm doing 2 weeks of shoots for the new series. (see the updated spoilers I posted yesterday on page 1)

Additional Note: Russell confirmed in an interview this month with SFX Magazine that Rose's return was planned back when they shot 'Doomsday' - so he's had the plan all along. This kind of reassures me that they will know what they're doing and won't trample on the emotional strength of Billy's last appearance.
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:48 pm

Well thanks for the John Simm spoiler I didn't really want to be reading about.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:15 am

Fried Gold wrote:Well thanks for the John Simm spoiler I didn't really want to be reading about.

You know what? This thread clearly has the word SPOILERS in the title so if you choose to read it you're letting yourself in for spoilers and taking active part in conversation that will inevitably involve spoilers.

MOD EDIT - Hey, no need to swear! Spoilers are supposed to be tiny texted, everyone else manages on the most part - please be thoughtful of spoiling other zoners enjoyment! Dog.
Last edited by Worst Part's Almost Over on Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby bamf on Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:19 am

I likes me the Piper.
bamf
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby Shan on Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:09 pm

Well, just for me personally the Season Opener of Season 4 was one of the worst things I've ever seen. Not just in the Doctor Who Universe but ever.

Which in a way may be a good thing as the only way now could be up, surely ...

(Still shuddering remembering the vast majority of everything that came out post the brilliant "Caves of Androzani" until cancellation in 1989. Peter Davison timed his exit perfectly).
Shan
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Shan on Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:11 pm

Well, if it is true that The Master is the good guy in Rose's alternate universe that would mean The Doctor's alternate in that universe would be ....

*head explodes* ...
Shan
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:22 pm

Shan wrote:Well, if it is true that The Master is the good guy in Rose's alternate universe that would mean The Doctor's alternate in that universe would be ....

*head explodes* ...

*picks up remains and places them in a tank-like travel machine and affixes a plunger*
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:24 pm

S04E02 - 'THE FIRES OF POMPEII'

WARNING! SPOILERS AHOY!!

An excellent episode tonight, with some interesting ideas being played out. Always good episode fodder to look at the 'can we/can't we' issue of time travel - just how far can The Doctor go with changing things? Not far, as he often reminds us, but here there is change and it's prompted by Donna. Though the epilogue to this episode might not seem important, there were several subtle clues during it that link to confirmed facts about later episodes. The Doctor's decision to save the family who are at the centre of this episode is going to have consequences - can't wait to find out what those are!

As for this episode, some excellent and creepy villains, some of the best CGi ever done in Doctor Who for the Pyrovile rock monsters (so reminded me of Rock Lords from when I was a kid!!) and the high priestess who is basically made out of stone is gruesome to behold - some excellent make-up work there!

This episode also contained one of the creepiest moments in Who for a long time. The seer Lucius (Phil Davis) turns to Donna and says 'There's something on your back'. Absolutely chillingly delivered by Davis, this is also something that's going to come back into play later on in the series.

No sign of ghostly Rose this episode, but keep your eyes peeled - rumours of her presence in next weeks episode. Overall, this was one of the best early season episodes since the show's return and I can't wait to watch it again later tonight.

9/10
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby Shan on Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:46 am

Now that episode was much better.
Shan
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Brit Pop on Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:08 am

In a Dr Who incarnation of many, many years ago - either John Pertwee or Tom Baker I think, there were these invisible spiders that latched onto peoples backs... maybe thats where they're going with that one.
Although the spiders in that story looked like they had been made by 6 year olds in art class.

Thats another thing i used to like about the old Doctor Who - the stories lasted for many episodes, not just all crammed into one with a vague idea of a bigger picture being insinuated over time.

And Donna is most def NOT doing it for me this season.
Brit Pop
AIRWOLF

Postby Shan on Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:26 am

That sounds like Planet of the Spiders, which I guess could technically be both a Jon Pertwee and a Tom Baker adventure since they're both in it.
Shan
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Brit Pop on Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:28 am

I'll bow to your Who-ledge...

Why were they both in it? was it a regeneration storyline? how did he get it?!?
Brit Pop
AIRWOLF

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:49 am

Brit Pop wrote:I'll bow to your Who-ledge...

SPOILERSThe story involves the leader of the spiders trying to get hold of some blue crystal dealy that will give them Akira powers. Eventually the Doctor beats the spiders, gets the crystal and, knowing what will happen, takes it to the planet with the spider leader and gives it to them. They destroy themselves with the new Akira powers, but the Doctor gets hit by a radiation wave. He gets back to Earth, only to collapse in the Brigadier's arms for a final embrace. He then regenerated into Tom Baker with the help of some other time lord character who wasn't mentioned again. I think this was the first time "regeneration" was explicitly mentioned.END SPOILERS

I didn't really think much of this Pompeii episode, other than the volcano looked good. Outside of the two regulars, the acting was pretty dodgy for the most part. I know it's being broadcast earlier this year, but there's no need for CBBC levels of thespianism. Fairly forgettable, I enjoyed the opening episode much more.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:06 am

Fried Gold wrote:
Brit Pop wrote:I'll bow to your Who-ledge...

SPOILERSThe story involves the leader of the spiders trying to get hold of some blue crystal dealy that will give them Akira powers. Eventually the Doctor beats the spiders, gets the crystal and, knowing what will happen, takes it to the planet with the spider leader and gives it to them. They destroy themselves with the new Akira powers, but the Doctor gets hit by a radiation wave. He gets back to Earth, only to collapse in the Brigadier's arms for a final embrace. He then regenerated into Tom Baker with the help of some other time lord character who wasn't mentioned again. I think this was the first time "regeneration" was explicitly mentioned.END SPOILERS

I didn't really think much of this Pompeii episode, other than the volcano looked good. Outside of the two regulars, the acting was pretty dodgy for the most part. I know it's being broadcast earlier this year, but there's no need for CBBC levels of thespianism. Fairly forgettable, I enjoyed the opening episode much more.

I'd agree. It did look like they were going over old ground with the 'changing the past' routine but it's understandable with a new companion, somewhat.

I thought the interaction at the end between The doc and side kick was cool. She gains further understanding of the Doctor.

What I don't get is that existing longer than everything, the Doctor seems to learn such simple human traits after years of being exposed to humans. You would have thought he'd know 'compassion' now.

papalazeru

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:23 am

Having gone through similar circumstances several times before, you would think he'd have learnt something other than saying "OH YES" or "OH INSERT SIDEKICK NAME HERE THAT'S BRILLIANT".
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Shan on Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:51 am

An even more fundamental point than the one you bring up that the Doctor should have learnt more about human behaviour by now is:

Shouldn't he finally have a solution to the problem of people continually stealing his Tardis?
Shan
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby papalazeru on Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:12 am

Shan wrote:An even more fundamental point than the one you bring up that the Doctor should have learnt more about human behaviour by now is:

Shouldn't he finally have a solution to the problem of people continually stealing his Tardis?

Ha! Oh so true.

But then again, he does say that some points in time are fixed and others fluctuate.

So maybe all those points in flux can only be fixed by the Doctor himself.

Which would mean that the Doctor himself is *shock* Sam Beckett from Quantum leap.

papalazeru

Postby ONeillSG1 on Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:11 pm

Shan wrote:An even more fundamental point than the one you bring up that the Doctor should have learnt more about human behaviour by now is:

Can't he make some sort of recall system for the Tardis using an auto-pilot program? Sort of like the Batmobile in Burton's Batman.

Call it the Boomerang Protocol or something.

BTW: 9/10
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:15 pm

In most cases a bicycle chain or U-lock would have sufficed.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby ONeillSG1 on Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:49 pm

Retardo_Montalban wrote:In most cases a bicycle chain or U-lock would have sufficed.

Yeah, sure, but nothing says "Time Lord" like calling the TARDIS to you like a dog fetching a stick.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Doctor Who Series 4 (SPOILERS/YOUR REVIEWS)

Postby bastard_robo on Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:07 am

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Shan on Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:16 pm

papalazeru wrote:

Ha! Oh so true.

But then again, he does say that some points in time are fixed and others fluctuate.

So maybe all those points in flux can only be fixed by the Doctor himself.

Which would mean that the Doctor himself is *shock* Sam Beckett from Quantum leap.

I always imagine that secretly, behing the scenes the Time Lords have this massive control room full of computers and technicians with a big screen (like any you see in the space programme) where they're quietly manipulating the Doctor and his Tardis without him knowing. This is so they can get him to land and solve various problems all over the time stream but they can deny any direct involvement.

Alternatively, it'd be funny to see the Doctor start off an adventure like a Mission Impossible Adventure complete with exploding message in the Tardis console. "Your mission, should you choose to accept it ...".
Shan
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby papalazeru on Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:26 pm

This weeks Ep. with the Ood....boring.

It's just covering the same ground as before with the whole 'slaves' theme.

Try HARDER RUSS.

papalazeru

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:31 pm

S04E03: "Planet Of The Ood"

WARNING: SPOILERS AHOY!

I'm happy to say that this ranks amongst my favourite stories since the shows return. POTO was an excellent episode, with some fine supporting actors (take a bow, Mr McInnerny) and some mature content that didn't feel out of place (he's an Ood!). The Ood really feel like the classic 'monster's of New Who because there is something so much more to them and this was explored wonderfully in this week's episode - I especially loved the explanation of the translation ball and what it is actually a replacement for.

Donna is really becoming a great companion - her compassion towards the Ood that died from the gunshot wound was a touching moment that showed something of her true character behind the bolshy shouty Donna - loved the moment she heard the Ood Song too. After initial doubts ('The Runaway Bride') and then the feeling she could work ('The Fires Of Pompeii'), I'm now sure that she is going to be a much loved companion by the end of her run.

Next week: SONTARAN'S RETURN!!

9/10
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:09 pm

It was the best version of Conquest of the Planet of the Apes I've seen since I last watched Conquest of the Planet of the Apes.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

What probably wont happen in series 4

Postby darthevilbob on Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:56 pm

Part of an article im writing for my site :

10 Things the Dalek's wont be doing in series 4:

Snogging Captain Jack:

Edit: taglin "Exterminate! Exterminate! Extermmmmmmmph ......... Experimentation! Experimentation!
darthevilbob
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Re: What probably wont happen in series 4

Postby papalazeru on Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:18 pm

darthevilbob wrote:Part of an article im writing for my site :

10 Things the Dalek's wont be doing in series 4:

Snogging Captain Jack:

Edit: taglin "Exterminate! Exterminate! Extermmmmmmmph ......... Experimentation! Experimentation!

No, they'll be fisting him with their plungers.

"Experminate!"

papalazeru

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:22 pm

Victor Lewis Smith was ahead of his time.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bob Samonkey on Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:33 pm

I am so happy that Sci Fi has started running these so soon. Usually I have to wait a half a year before I get to see new ones. I just finished series 3 and am watching the Christmas eps right now. Glad I will just be a few behind.
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby judderman on Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:00 am

papalazeru wrote:This weeks Ep. with the Ood....boring.

Try HARDER RUSS.

Well they kinda had to cover that. The Ood were physically incapable of being anything else. Now that the Ood are free, I'd like to see how they could be developed.
judderman
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby papalazeru on Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:43 am

judderman wrote:
papalazeru wrote:This weeks Ep. with the Ood....boring.

Try HARDER RUSS.

Well they kinda had to cover that. The Ood were physically incapable of being anything else. Now that the Ood are free, I'd like to see how they could be developed.

I'm just saying that they've taken a very basic story which has been done and dusted so many times and they didn't put much of a fresh spin on it.

papalazeru

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:53 pm

That might be the best episode so far. A perfect fusion of the new and the old, with good villains, character work and visual effects.

If the second part holds out (not likely given the track record) it'll be a classic story.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:38 pm

Fried Gold wrote:That might be the best episode so far. A perfect fusion of the new and the old, with good villains, character work and visual effects.

If the second part holds out (not likely given the track record) it'll be a classic story.

I'd agree. Really enjoyed it.

I liked the development of the story between Martha and Donna.

There were a couple of problems, miniscule in fact, how come those two soldiers didn't wait for back up before entering the room and why did they leave 2 workers on their own after initially, they stormed through with guns to restrain the workers. It just made them look like dumbling fools.

Also, what is so difficult about putting your elbow or a brick through a car frickin' window?

The would have solved that problem without a hitch. If my car started driving itself into a lake or filling up with smoke, I would have put my boot through the window.

Apart from those minor flaws, I really enjoyed it. As FG said, it's a good mix of the old with the new.

I'm also really warming to Donna, she's not as annoying as I thought she'd be.

papalazeru

Postby Brit Pop on Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:32 pm

Sontarans are the Klingons of the Doctor Whoniverse... awesome shit kickers.

There no nonsense badassery makes them fucking brilliant to watch.

SONTAR-A SONTAR-A!!
Brit Pop
AIRWOLF

PreviousNext

Return to Coaxial