How I Met Your Mother

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Re: How I Met Your Mother

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:28 pm

This show has been bad for awhile, and is REALLY bad this season. It alternates between cartoonish and sappy. It always has to a degree, but while early Ted, Marshall, and especially Barney were cartoonish characters, at this point only the cartoon remains.

Anyway, as crappy as this show is I'm still watching on DVR, as a number of you have noted, just to see how it ends and for completion's sake.

Spoiler for the last episode: so it's heavily implied that the Mother is dying when they fast forward to 2024, meaning that she's dead when he's talking to the kids in 2030. My guess is that it's a red herring and they wouldn't end the show on such a downer note. It would make me sad because the mother is the only character left in the show that I kinda like.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby so sorry on Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:49 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:Anyway, as crappy as this show is I'm still watching on DVR, as a number of you have noted, just to see how it ends and for completion's sake.

Exactly. Its literally groan-worthy right now, but it wasn't always like that. So its sad to see it decline the way it has.

Lord Voldemoo wrote:Spoiler for the last episode: so it's heavily implied that the Mother is dying when they fast forward to 2024, meaning that she's dead when he's talking to the kids in 2030. My guess is that it's a red herring and they wouldn't end the show on such a downer note. It would make me sad because the mother is the only character left in the show that I kinda like.

Huh? Never heard that angle before!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:37 pm

i've never seen this show, but i read that spoiler and i have to ask: is this show about time travel?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:28 am

Lord Voldemoo wrote:Spoiler for the last episode: so it's heavily implied that the Mother is dying when they fast forward to 2024, meaning that she's dead when he's talking to the kids in 2030. My guess is that it's a red herring and they wouldn't end the show on such a downer note. It would make me sad because the mother is the only character left in the show that I kinda like.

Well, you were right and wrong I guess. It was a downer, but they (attempted) to make the ending cheerful, and give the audience what they always wanted: Ted and Robin together.

SPOILERS BELOW IN CASE YOU DIDN'T WATCH THE FINAL EPISODE:
I'm not sure how I feel about the last episode ever. One the one hand, they did kinda capture those feelings you have when "your gang" grows up and drifts apart. It happens...marraige, kids, jobs...those things eventually split post-college groups up. And you try your best to maintain the group (get together for the big moments!), but ultimately even that starts to fade away...

But having Robin and Barney's marriage fail....seems to me like they wasted my time with their on-again off-again shit over the past few seasons. Seems like all those two really had was amazing and crazy sex. And having Barney fall in love with his oops-daughter was a massive tacked-on plot point, meant to give Barney a happy ending, vs. the reality that he really went back to being a lonely Lothario with nothing to look forward to in his life.

Well, its over, I'm glad I stuck with it. I know this was a particularly challenging show to produce considering the premise, and the fact that they didn't quite know when the show would end, so they needed to keep their options open along the way etc etc.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Peven on Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:20 pm

i tried to watch this once, couldn't stand any of the characters, don't think I even made it through an episode. from what I heard about the finale on the radio this morning they didn't exactly hit a home run with their fans

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby RogueScribner on Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:31 pm

I really liked the finale, but I'm not sure I liked the last scene. Ted and Robin together? I don't know... That implies Ted's heart was always with her and not The Mother and it seems contrary to what this last season was building towards.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby so sorry on Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:11 pm

RogueScribner wrote:I really liked the finale, but I'm not sure I liked the last scene. Ted and Robin together? I don't know... That implies Ted's heart was always with her and not The Mother and it seems contrary to what this last season was building towards.

Agreed. But that's ultimately what they are telling us, right? That Ted was always supposed to be with Robin. So The Mother was merely a baby maker for Ted, then he gets to be with his real true love in the end.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:24 pm

i'm conflicted about the finale. One thing I'll say is that at least it was better written and funnier than the rest of the season had been. But i am still trying to figure out how I feel about the following:

- We spent the better part of 4 seasons and really this entire season on Barney-Robin and they undid all of that in the first 20 minutes of the episode. I get the point in needing to free her up for Ted by the end of the episode and, maybe more importantly, to explore how even the tightest group can splinter when something like this happens (which hit home for me as my group of closest friends split when 2 of my best friends got divorced a couple of years ago), but it still felt like a con.

- Barney, within like 30 seconds, going from handing out cigars in hope that the baby will be proven NOT to be his to professing his undying love and devotion to said baby. Look, i'm not a parent so maybe I just don't get it, and I imagine it's incredibly powerful to see your kid for the first time, but that still felt like a pretty extreme shift in no time.

- the ending. I guess now I get why they kept the Ted-Robin relationship still so ambiguous even up to the wedding day (which was starting to get creepy). I was hoping for the two of them to end up together....like 5 years ago. By now I was over it. And I'd grown to like The Mother. They could have renamed the show for the last episode "how your mother got in the way for a while until conveniently dying so I could be with my soulmate."

-post-ending. I wont think about this too deeply, but by the way: the problem between Barney and Robin was that she was never there, constantly traveling, and not available when they traveled together, right? Thank god Ted is far more independent and less needy than Barney. Oh wait, he's not at all and this is going to be a disaster.

So yeah, i'm conflicted. The ending they gave might have been the ending I would have liked 5 years ago, but now I actually kinda liked Robin-Barney, I kinda liked the Mother, so I ended up just feeling like the whole thing was kind of a downer.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby Peven on Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:36 pm

so sorry wrote:
RogueScribner wrote:I really liked the finale, but I'm not sure I liked the last scene. Ted and Robin together? I don't know... That implies Ted's heart was always with her and not The Mother and it seems contrary to what this last season was building towards.

Agreed. But that's ultimately what they are telling us, right? That Ted was always supposed to be with Robin. So The Mother was merely a baby maker for Ted, then he gets to be with his real true love in the end.

so he IS the asshole I perceived him to be from the one episode I saw :-P :wink:

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby so sorry on Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:43 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:i'm conflicted about the finale. One thing I'll say is that at least it was better written and funnier than the rest of the season had been.

Agreed, but that's not saying much!

Lord Voldemoo wrote:Barney, within like 30 seconds, going from handing out cigars in hope that the baby will be proven NOT to be his to professing his undying love and devotion to said baby. Look, i'm not a parent so maybe I just don't get it, and I imagine it's incredibly powerful to see your kid for the first time, but that still felt like a pretty extreme shift in no time.

That was tacked on there to give Barney/Neil Patrick Harris a "happy ending"... the reality was that Barney turned back into a gross man whore, even grosser because of his age.

Lord Voldemoo wrote: They could have renamed the show for the last episode "how your mother got in the way for a while until conveniently dying so I could be with my soulmate."

Right, The Mother was there to give Ted a few babies, since Robin NEVER wanted or could have kids.

Lord Voldemoo wrote:post-ending. I wont think about this too deeply, but by the way: the problem between Barney and Robin was that she was never there, constantly traveling, and not available when they traveled together, right? Thank god Ted is far more independent and less needy than Barney. Oh wait, he's not at all and this is going to be a disaster.

I assumed that her globe-trotting days were behind her, as evidenced by her having 4 or 5 dogs again.

Lord Voldemoo wrote:So yeah, i'm conflicted. The ending they gave might have been the ending I would have liked 5 years ago, but now I actually kinda liked Robin-Barney, I kinda liked the Mother, so I ended up just feeling like the whole thing was kind of a downer.

Exactly.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:51 pm

so sorry wrote:
Lord Voldemoo wrote:post-ending. I wont think about this too deeply, but by the way: the problem between Barney and Robin was that she was never there, constantly traveling, and not available when they traveled together, right? Thank god Ted is far more independent and less needy than Barney. Oh wait, he's not at all and this is going to be a disaster.

I assumed that her globe-trotting days were behind her, as evidenced by her having 4 or 5 dogs again.

ooh good point, you're probably right about that
Lord Voldemoo

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:02 pm

i didn't watch this show. so, did it turn out that they were all dead after all and living in purgatory the whole time?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:24 pm

TheBaxter wrote:i didn't watch this show. so, did it turn out that they were all dead after all and living in purgatory the whole time?

Something like that, but more legend--------------

-----wait for it------

-----ary.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby RogueScribner on Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:24 pm

So the producers had this ending in mind from at least Season 2 since they filmed the last scene with the kids back in 2006 or so. And I'm thinking if the show ended after season 4 or 5 this ending would have been fine. But Ted and Robin have had so many arcs showing how--despite their obvious affection for one another--they're just not workable as a couple. Barney and Robin fit better and they didn't even make it. Ted finally let Robin go this season and Robin moved on and that was all good. Why undo it? Why all this talk of destiny just to kill the Mother off and go back to Robin? It's just weird. They may have had this ending in mind for a while, but it doesn't seem like they put a lot of thought into it. The show changed over the years. Early Ted and Robin and Barney and Lily and Marshall were nothing like their later-season counterparts. How could they be? They've gone through so much. They evolved; the ending didn't.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby RogueScribner on Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:37 pm

Alt ending

RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:19 pm

RogueScribner wrote:Alt ending

Yup, I like that cut. So much more satisfying. I also like the idea (though others might have bitched) about not ever explaining why Ted is telling his kids this whole story. It's not catalyzed by the mother's death or by Robin (or if it is, we're never told that it is, and we can go on speculating).
Lord Voldemoo

Postby RogueScribner on Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:59 am

I guess the idea is that he's trying to warm them up to the idea of him and Robin together, so he tells this story about how they met and their ups and downs but still tries to shed some good light on their mom out of respect. Still kind of dicky and I'm not sure I buy the kids' enthusiasm at the idea. Maybe if we were told/shown Robin helping Ted out after the Mother passed and that rekindled something, but as is it just seems strange, like he's always been pining for her and the Mother was just a pit stop.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby RogueScribner on Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:40 pm

http://www.tv.com/shows/how-i-met-your-mother/community/post/how-the-how-i-met-your-mother-finale-could-have-worked-better-1396393118/

A few weeks ago, after we watched “Vesuivius,” my boyfriend and I had a debate about whether or not they’d kill the Mother. He thought they were just jerking us around. I firmly believed that the Mother was toast. In the depths of my rage and grief, I had a thought.

“The Mother is dead, and Ted is telling his kids the story because he’s about to get with Robin.”

My boyfriend shook his head. “No way. That’s the worst thing they could possibly do.”

Welp.

I’ve been a rabid, obsessed fan of How I Met Your Mother since I discovered it five years ago. Year after year, even after the quality started to decline, I defended the show. That was in large part because, every time I would start to worry about where it all was going, Carter Bays and Craig Thomas would pull out some amazing episode, some phenomenal plot development, and my faith in their storytelling abilities would be restored. They knew what they were doing.

That is what got me through my worst fear: that after nine years of near perfection, they would completely and utterly destroy the ending. But I had no reason not to trust them.

If I had such confidence in them, then why was I so afraid they’d mess up the ending of my beloved show in the first place? Because I knew that they could have an entirely different idea as to how the show should end than I did. I had some very firm ideas of how I thought the finale should go, but of course, it’s the writers’ decision. They have every right to end their story how they want to. They don’t owe the audience a happy ending. They don’t need to bend to the audience’s will. And that’s fine. As a writer, I wouldn’t want anyone telling me how to end my story. So they really shouldn't care if I think their ending is flawed.

But last night's flawed ending wasn’t even well-executed. Having the Mother die and Ted end up with Robin was always going to be controversial, but after my initial rage subsided enough for me to stop thinking that fans who loved the ending were all mental patients, I started thinking "could that have been a good ending?" I think it probably could have. But "Last Forever" didn't do their vision justice.

Before I get into how they could have made that ending work, I would like to stress that I still think the creative decision to have the Mother be dead was ENTIRELY WRONG. Here’s why:

My fellow fans and I have known for years that HIMYM isn't really about how Ted meets the Mother (I'm going to start calling her Tracy now, because fewer letters). It's the story of the gang as they went through the trying moments of being adults. It's the story of Ted's journey -- which is more important than the destination, yes. But they didn't need to kill Tracy to get that point across. The fans were already in on it.

Besides all of that, though, the show has always had destiny as a recurring theme. I mean, it even came up last night. The universe has a plan and it’s always working towards that plan, so even in the darkest moments of your life, you know everything is going to be OK. All of the gang experienced this, but the theme was really represented with Ted’s search for his future wife. He went through heartbreak after heartbreak, setbacks in his job, moments where he lacked faith. But while Ted was at his lowest points, we knew things were going to end up ok for him. He had to go through all of that grief in order to meet his destiny: Tracy.

I think that’s a comforting thought for real life. HIMYM’s message was always a hopeful one. Killing off the Mother completely negates that. I get that life doesn’t always have a happy ending, and it’s one big carousel of good times followed by bad times, but that wasn’t what this show was about. There are plenty of shows with bleak messages. I watched “How I Met Your Mother” because it wasn’t one of them.

With that said, if Bays and Thomas has absolutely, unwaveringly wanted Ted to end up with Robin in the end, fine. Here's how they could have pulled it off without alienating half their fan base:

1. Possibly the most important: DO NOT SPEND NINE YEARS TELLING US WHY ROBIN AND TED WOULDN'T WORK AS A COUPLE. Come on. From the time they met, it was hammered into our heads that they just weren't right for each other. They wanted different things. Even years later when Ted realized he was still in love with Robin, they still wanted different things. Adding to that was that Robin didn't feel the same about him. And then when she changed her mind at the 11th hour at her wedding, Ted didn't feel the same about her. It makes it really hard to root for two people to be together if we see repeatedly how they just don't work.

2. They should not have shown Tracy in the final season. I hate to say that because I love Tracy as a character, but they did Robin a disservice by letting us get to know her. We just saw how much more compatible she was with Ted compared to Robin, how happy she made him, and how much he loved her. That made it hard for me to want to see him with anyone else, especially Robin. If they were set on this ending, I think they should have had us meet her for the first time at the train station. That also makes it more plausible for Penny to say, "Dad, what the crap, you've been telling us this story for x hours and Mom's been in it once." Segue into "are you into Aunt Robin?"

3. They really, really needed to devote some more time to Tracy's death and the aftermath. In the world of the show, it's been six years, so it has perhaps been enough time for Ted to move on. But for the audience, it was six seconds. We went straight from learning she died to Penny wanting to hook Ted up with Robin. That made it seem to us like Ted was rushing straight from his dead wife back to Robin, and made it seem like Tracy was just a little side trip he took before he could be with the woman he really loved. They should have let us see Ted's grief. That would have given us time to process our own emotions. Then show Ted and Robin's new relationship, how they'd changed as people, and why they might actually have a shot at working now.

Writers need to keep their audience in mind. This doesn't mean that they should let the audience tell them how to tell their story. But you do have to keep in mind how the audience is going to process the story that you're telling. Thomas and Bays have known that this was the ending for years. They had plenty of time to decide the best way to show it to their audience. Since the ending left half the fan base infuriated, I'd say they failed.

What she said.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:01 pm

i heard the ending of this show was so bad, that ridley scott is now considering hiring these guys to write the sequel to prometheus.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Ribbons on Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:39 pm

I liked the ending in theory, but the way they handled it was weird. For one thing, they probably shouldn't have spent the whole season on Barney and Robin's wedding, and they should have probably devoted more time to Ted's relationship with "the mother." But it was okay. Clever and schmaltzy, just like the series.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Previous

Return to Coaxial