Breaking Bad

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Breaking Bad

Postby The Selecter on Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:01 am

Anybody catching this as part of AMC's effort to become FX jr?

I thought the premiere was a good start, and after watching the 2nd episode, I'm going to put it into the rotation.

Cranston and his partner (Yo!) do a great job, and I love this kind of dark humor.

"What's a MILF?"
The Selecter
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby JpPrewitt789 on Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:44 am

I've seen the previews. All I can think about now is the image of Bryan Cranston standing in the middle of a desert in his underwear...
JpPrewitt789
REAL DRAGON

Postby Vegeta on Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:59 am

The Selecter wrote:
"What's a MILF?"

MILF = Mother I'd Like to F!@#
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby JpPrewitt789 on Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:10 pm

^I think he was quoting the show, not asking.
JpPrewitt789
REAL DRAGON

Postby Peven on Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:36 pm

reposting:

has anyone else caught this? i LOVE it. it is the kind of show you would expect to see on HBO. AMC has really shown some game in bringing quality original programming to to non-pay cable in the last couple years. "Hustle", "Mad Men", and now this show.

here is the official site for the show, you owe it to yourself to check it out

http://www.amctv.com/originals/breakingbad/

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby The Selecter on Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:41 am

Despite being a fine show, BB doesn't seem to have gotten any buzz, even here. I can understand a dark dramedy about a terminally-ill meth-cooking high school teacher might not have mass appeal, but this place isn't afraid of niche shows. Puzzling, because both the cast and writing are sharp.

I'm glad AMC was daring enough to pick it up, even though FX and others wouldn't touch it.

There are only a few new eps left, so they'd better renew it.
The Selecter
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Peven on Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:26 am

The Selecter wrote:Despite being a fine show, BB doesn't seem to have gotten any buzz, even here. I can understand a dark dramedy about a terminally-ill meth-cooking high school teacher might not have mass appeal, but this place isn't afraid of niche shows. Puzzling, because both the cast and writing are sharp.

what, watch a quality original drama when you could be playing the werewolf game??? :-P :wink:

seriously, i am with you. you'd think a show like this would be getting all sorts of love on a site like this

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Brit Pop on Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:50 pm

Breaking Bad is the bomb yo!

No seriously, its like Dexter meets Malcolm In The Middle.

I smell emmy's!! Oh, and crystal meth.
Brit Pop
AIRWOLF

Postby tapehead on Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:58 pm

Fantastic show - I'm just catching up on this now. Bryan Cranston as Walter H White is the best new character I've seen on tv for a long time - a man in a seemingly impossible position with only his pride, his intelligence and a stubborn demeanor on his side, but up against a no-win situation. Makes Weeds look as silly as it is, and while it's not a wholly realistic depiction of the drug trade, the chemistry is fascinating and the meth heads ring fairly true to me. Most importantly, I have very little idea where it's going to go from here (up to ep 5) and there's a lot of story elements that could come into play.

It bugs me that the swearing gets censored.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby RogueScribner on Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:43 pm

I've watched the first four episodes, but I don't think I'm going to continue. It's not bad really, and it does have its moments of coolness, but it's not sucking me in enough and there doesn't seem to be much drive behind the series (i.e. I can't even tell where it's going).
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:34 am

I haven't watched it because it's on AMC and AMC is a terrible channel.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:42 am

IFC aired the first two episodes uncensored. Those are the versions I saw. The subsequent episodes I've seen have been censored.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Peven on Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:04 am

Chairman Kaga wrote:I haven't watched it because it's on AMC and AMC is a terrible channel.

oh please, THIS i gotta hear........

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:59 pm

Peven wrote:
Chairman Kaga wrote:I haven't watched it because it's on AMC and AMC is a terrible channel.

oh please, THIS i gotta hear........

AMC went down the toilet when it.
A. Introduced commercial interruptions/brekas during the film.
B. Started showing movies edited for content.
Previous to this it was like TCM. If TCM ends up going the same way it too will be a terrible station. I haven't watched AMC since.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brit Pop on Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:36 pm

On continued watching... I really am in love with Breaking Bad, I'm a huge Dexter fan and this has the same dark feel about it, delicately interspersed with some hilarious comedy... and the cinematography is awesome to boot!

If you haven't seen this... but have access to it... then it has my two thumbs up, five star, solid gold lock of the week approval.

One of the best sub-characters is Walter's DEA brother-in-law, Hank (played by Dean Norris who was Tony the brain-faced mutant in Total Recall).

If you are familiar with Malcom In Tne Middle, and remember the scene when Hal hired a (steam) roller so he could crush various objects...

... Walter is Hal, the steam roller is cancer, and the wedding cake is loss!

oh, and Dewey is a mobile meth lab.
Brit Pop
AIRWOLF

Postby Brit Pop on Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:43 pm

Bump! Just finished watching BB with a friend of mine who I recommended it to - Breaking Bad is a great show... dont know if it has enough material to last in the long run - Dexter did... Jericho didn't. But it's definitly worth an Emmy for best mini series.
Brit Pop
AIRWOLF

Postby inwosuxred on Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:41 am

First season was great and they really need a second season, since the show didn't end at all. Herc posts multiple times a week for a Whendon show that hasn't even started filming, but pretty ignored Breaking Bad with the exception of a post before anyone saw it. He did that to Mad Men too, and then used the fact that a post about a show nobody had seen didn't get enough responses to merit additional talkbacks.
inwosuxred
GLIB

Postby Dee E. Goppstober on Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:37 am

It hurts me a little that there is no more of this yet. I dilligently keep checking their site on a weekly basis.

There is so much yet unresolved!

But I am getting a bit of a Firefly feeling here... :(
Dee E. Goppstober
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Peven on Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:40 am

inwosuxred wrote:First season was great and they really need a second season, since the show didn't end at all. Herc posts multiple times a week for a Whendon show that hasn't even started filming, but pretty ignored Breaking Bad with the exception of a post before anyone saw it. He did that to Mad Men too, and then used the fact that a post about a show nobody had seen didn't get enough responses to merit additional talkbacks.

that is because Herc is a 14 yr old girl, which puts him squarely in the Whedon demographic.....

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Re: Breaking Bad

Postby tapehead on Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:01 pm

Really great to see Cranston get the Emmy for best actor in a drama for this show.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:50 pm

tapehead wrote:Really great to see Cranston get the Emmy for best actor in a drama for this show.

yeah definitely deserved.

Cant wait for a new season.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby DerLanghaarige on Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:06 pm

Damn, this one flew absolutely under my radar. I didn't hear ANYTHING about the show until I saw Bryan Cranston at the Emmys! Now I tracked down some clips on YouTube and I think that this looks great! I definitely gotta check this show out!
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby The Vicar on Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:35 pm

tapehead wrote:Really great to see Cranston get the Emmy for best actor in a drama for this show.

Justice at last.
Guy got jobbed during Malcolm in the Middle,
but winning a drama Emmy....sting, begone.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby tapehead on Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:42 am

tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby DerLanghaarige on Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:31 am

This week, the show arrived at German Pay TV and I just watched the first episode. It took a while till it really got going, but damn, I seriously can't wait till the next episode!
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby John-Locke on Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:43 pm

I watched season 1 over a few days about six weeks ago, it took so long as it totally flew under my radar. Thought it started strong, dragged a little before picking up again towards the end. None of it was poor but I craved a little more thrills in places.

Well I just watched the season 2 opener, damn, this shit is tight (Yo!). I think this show has potential to be one of the all time greats, it's thrilling, tense, funny, has great complex human drama and a brilliant cast, not to mention a MILF.

Anyone else watched the Season 2 opener yet?

Damn that Tuco is one Crazy Mutherfucker (Yo!)
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby tapehead on Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:57 am

Really had the feeling that things were escalating, getting more desperate, weird and sometimes funny - although it served as a re-cap mostly, I was dragged right back into Walter H. White's fucked up situation.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:35 pm

This is definitely one of the best things on at the moment. I'm glad AMC is putting them online as well because my DVR is full at 10.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby DerLanghaarige on Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:49 pm

These bastards over here skipped at least one episode! Can you believe that!? Season 1 has only 7 or so episodes and they manage to "forget" one!
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Maui on Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:35 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:This is definitely one of the best things on at the moment.

yo, yo, yo, 1 4 8 3 to the 3 to the 6 to the 9, represented the ABQ, what up bitch?!

Best damn show on TV right now. Incredible acting. I'm hooked!
Maui
WoWie

Postby DerLanghaarige on Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:04 am

Yes, I checked it yesterday. "My" channel skipped episode 6 and went straight to the season finale instead. But since the DVD comes out next week and I wanted to get it anyway, it's not THAT bad. (Still, an unforgivable mistake.)
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Maui on Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:18 pm

Maui
WoWie

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:26 pm

Maui wrote:Image

Hahaha, a thousand words.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Maui on Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:50 pm

So we have Tio left at the house with his bell.
Walt and Jesse running for cover.
A charred teddy bear missing one eyeball.
No doubt the cartel that Tuco is connected to will be looking for Walt and Jesse.

Love this show!!! and Hank is teh man.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:33 am

Does Tuco still have Walt's ID on his bullet riddled remains?
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Maui on Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:02 am

Retardo_Montalban wrote:Does Tuco still have Walt's ID on his bullet riddled remains?

I believe he does have his wallet.
Maui
WoWie

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:13 am

Maui wrote:
Retardo_Montalban wrote:Does Tuco still have Walt's ID on his bullet riddled remains?

I believe he does have his wallet.

Maybe Hank will start protecting Walt.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Brit Pop on Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:57 pm

Its getting too difficult now for Walter to just walk back into his house and say... "Oh, I went for a walk!"

Dunno about Walters wallet, but there will be tons of physical evidence of him around the house... Tio will tell them Jesse was with another guy (ding ding).

Walt will have to say he and Jesse went out to smoke some pot and got kidnapped by Tuco!!

Or, as stated above, Hank will help him - Walter is now directly and indirectly responsible for the toppling of two major drug operations - although he is producing a deadly narcotic which is probably addicting hundreds of kids around the city.

I'm hooked on this series now (no pun intended, well maybe), and cant wait to see how the hell he gets out of this one.

It had better not have all been a dream!
Brit Pop
AIRWOLF

Postby Maui on Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:14 am

I think you guys might be right re. Hank helping out Walt. If so, then who's going to be the DEA that will bust his ass then?
Maui
WoWie

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:16 am

Maui wrote:I think you guys might be right re. Hank helping out Walt. If so, then who's going to be the DEA that will bust his ass then?

The partner? Or a young up and comer?
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Maui on Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:17 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
Maui wrote:I think you guys might be right re. Hank helping out Walt. If so, then who's going to be the DEA that will bust his ass then?

The partner? Or a young up and comer?

Hank's partner is too meek unless he grows some balls all of a sudden. Perhaps someone new.
I'd still like to see Hank on the trail for a few more episodes before and IF he helps out Walt.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:02 pm

It's going to be Hank's wife who foils Walt. She has been set up to tear shit up from episode 1.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Maui on Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:42 pm

Retardo_Montalban wrote:It's going to be Hank's wife who foils Walt. She has been set up to tear shit up from episode 1.

Nah, she'll just continue to steal more stuff and be incredibly loopy. I think Walt's undoing will be Walt himself.
Maui
WoWie

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:40 pm

I just bought this on DVD the other night and Im half way though it.. Aces I say, This show is ACES!

I'll finish up hopefully in time to catch the beggining of the second season..
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Maui on Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:29 am

bastard_robo wrote:I just bought this on DVD the other night and Im half way though it.. Aces I say, This show is ACES!

I'll finish up hopefully in time to catch the beggining of the second season..

YO! Second season has already started, 3rd episode airs tonight. You can view the shows online at AMC's website to get caught up.

I managed to catch the season 1 marathon a few weeks back and was absolutely hooked. It's on par with Dexter and Big Love, ...a bit better I think.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:36 pm

My opinion on Hank has taken a 180 since the beginning of this show. I would have hung myself by my own shoe strings if I had his wife.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:56 pm

Retardo_Montalban wrote:My opinion on Hank has taken a 180 since the beginning of this show. I would have hung myself by my own shoe strings if I had his wife.

Hes got infinitely more complex and interesting since the show started. I love the ways he dealt with his promotion this episode.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby John-Locke on Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:03 pm

Hank has become the most interesting and likeable character this season whereas Walt has become quite unlikeable. Hopefully Hank throwing away Tuco's grill will be the end of his shooters anxiety but I don't think it will be.

This really is some pretty much perfect TV drama right here, I just hope they don't drag it out past the third season unless they are sure the quality wont suffer.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:19 pm

John-Locke wrote:Hank has become the most interesting and likeable character this season whereas Walt has become quite unlikeable. Hopefully Hank throwing away Tuco's grill will be the end of his shooters anxiety but I don't think it will be.

This really is some pretty much perfect TV drama right here, I just hope they don't drag it out past the third season unless they are sure the quality wont suffer.

Im imagining 4 top notch seasons before walt kicks it.

Yeah Hank has that whole I know everything asshole demeanor but hes really unsure of himself despite appearances. Walt on the other hand is becoming more cocksure as things go along.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:20 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
Retardo_Montalban wrote:My opinion on Hank has taken a 180 since the beginning of this show. I would have hung myself by my own shoe strings if I had his wife.

Hes got infinitely more complex and interesting since the show started. I love the ways he dealt with his promotion this episode.

Yes, seeing the level of anxiety he has and the way he deals with it was awesome. I always figured he was a dick for his own benefit, but it's becoming more apparent that he does it to keep those around him at ease. Like when Walter Jr. was discussing the shooting that Hank was obviously uncomfortable with from earlier scenes. Hank just continued to talk shit about this traumatic event to keep Walter Jr. from being uncomfortable. He does the same with his asshole wife. I sort of want Hank to be the one who breaks the Heizenberg case wide open.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Next

Return to Coaxial