The Boys

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

The Boys

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:45 pm

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117981219.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

Good news. Columbia Pictures have to rights to make a film adaptation of Garth Ennis & Darick Robertson's excellent comic - which from the start looked like a good candidate for a movie version. (in fact I was surprised DC dumped it, as I assume the WB would've kept film rights)

Since my comics buying purge, The Boys is the only title I've kept wanting to buy and read - so I am quite enthusiastic about seeing a film of it.

Simon Pegg likely has new role ready for him.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: The Boys

Postby TheButcher on Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:26 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:19 pm

A couple of trailers dropped for this recently, which has followed the lead of approximately 97% of all books and gone the big-budget Amazon TV series route. I know very little about the comic and it pretty much just looks like Watchmen With A Pottymouth to me, but it's being adapted by the Preacher team of Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg, which is enough to pique my interest. Have a look:

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby so sorry on Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:21 pm

Superhero Saturation Level is about up to my chin... but since Amazon Prime is the only streaming service I have, I'll probably check this out.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:24 am

those look like two trailers for two completely different shows. i get the first one is an in-jokey fake ad trailer, but still... i am not familiar with this property and have no idea what kind of show this is supposed to be.

but, it does have Shue-power, so that's something.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Random Coaxial

Postby Peven on Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:28 pm

https://www.comingsoon.net/tv/trailers/1076249-karl-urbans-putting-together-a-team-of-super-killers-in-the-boys-trailer

can't. fucking. wait

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Re: Random Coaxial

Postby Fievel on Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:26 pm

I seriously thought that was Angus MacFayden in the video thumbnail.

This will be a Day 1 watch for sure.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Wolfpack on Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:26 am

Over 11 years in the making. It had better be good!
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby so sorry on Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:04 am

I started binging this over the weekend, I think I'm on episode 5.

Hard to say that I "like it", considering its full of pretty despicable people. Some pretty formulaic plot lines going on, but with enough interesting twists it kept my interest.

The dude who plays Homelander is top notch, that is one scary ass superhero.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Peven on Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:19 pm

am at the same spot in the series and I fucking love it. :D

if it was just empty graphic violence and profane content it would get boring fast, but it isn't and it doesn't. production quality is good and there aren't any performances that stand out as bad, while Karl is channeling Johhny Depp playing a rogue british ex-FBI agent. fun stuff.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby so sorry on Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:10 pm

Finished season 1.

Worth the watch, I liked it. Looking forward to more.

That said, I think there were some gaping plot errors, some really stupid side stories, and not sure if it was trying to be a drama, or comedy, or both?

Spoilery-ness coming:

The sub plot with The Deep... where he gets date-raped, and subsequently goes into full on depression mode was over-the-top to the extreme. So bad that they even used Everybody Hurts song as he shaves his body? Maybe they were making fun of the situation??? To have me believe that a superhero couldn't stop a girl sitting on top of him from sticking her fingers in his gills is preposterous.

The gaping plot mistake as far as I'm concerned: when ATrain is in Hughie's house, with his dad, clearly ATrain is there to kill Hughie. Then somehow they manage to overpower ATrain, they break his freaking FEMUR for Jeebus's-sake. And then leave him there to get away? WTF? Did I miss a scene where they decide to just let this Supe go? I thought the whole point of The Boys was to take down and kill the bad Supes? They had one right there in front of them, one who was there to actually kill one of there own, and they just walk away? In the last episode Hughie is faced with the exact same scenario, does he let Atrain die, or help him, knowing that ATrain may come after him again. I feel like this was a different situation for Hughie.... ATrain confesses to killing his girlfriend and shows signs of "humanity", which leads Hughie to helping him.

I still maintain that Homelander is the most interesting and charismatic Supe, and the ultimate Big Bad posing as the Big Good!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Ribbons on Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:33 am

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Ribbons on Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:16 pm

Wolfpack wrote:Over 11 years in the making. It had better be good!

The prolonged development process has only improved the story. It's aged like a fine wine, or perhaps a box of Franzia.

It's hard to disagree with those calling The Boys a louder, more obvious version Watchmen, but it's also pretty great, and completely of-the-moment in a way that other superhero satires (like, say, the Watchmen movie) were not. I think this is down to two reasons related to timing:

1) Watchmen came out in 2009, back when the MCU was barely a twinkle in Disney's eye. Back then, the facts that Nite-Owl's suit looked like Batman's or that The Comedian was kind of an asshole weren't really all that interesting to the average audience member. Now, 10 years and probably 100 films later, our culture has absorbed more than enough spandex adventures to know when they're being mocked. Not only can we identify what's problematic about the genre, genre movies themselves have come out and addressed those problems (see: Batman v. Superman, Civil War, Deadpool, Logan). The Boys just takes it to another level.

2) It's probably fair to say that the world feels a little, well, crazier than it did 10 years ago. Even though the comic on which The Boys is based was created back in 2006, certain events -- a plane that crashes into the ocean mysteriously, a disgraced public figure who pressures women into sex -- feel like they were ripped from the headlines. And when reality often seems stranger than fiction, sometimes the best way to reflect reality is to make your fiction as strange as possible. I'm not going to say that we're all mercy to the whims of a bunch of powerful, politically incestuous, brand-obsessed sociopaths who are owned by ruthless corporate overlords, but I'm also not going to say I don't feel like I know what that feels like.

Anyway, regardless of its timeliness, The Boys is just really well-made. I don't often binge shows, but this one in particular I couldn't stop watching. Its tone turns on a dime from hilarious to horrifying with expert precision, and it's led by a few really strong performances, especially Karl Urban as a cockney "supe" assassin and Anthony Starr as the scariest fucking Superman ever.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:16 pm

this is a close second to Umbrella Academy for my favorite new streaming series this year

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Return to Coaxial