John Adams [HBO]

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

John Adams [HBO]

Postby Evil Hobbit on Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:08 am

Didn't find any topic for this new Hanks/HBO gem based on the book by David McCullough.

I love it! Paul Giamatti is GODlike in his portrayal as Adams. Can't wait for the new episodes.

Trailer
Tom Hanks interview
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby Cha-Ka Khan on Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:37 am

Yeah, I hear this is very good. It's on my radar but I haven't watched the first episode yet. I'll probably catch up with it later this week.

HBO really promoted the heck out of this too. I even saw posters in the movie theater for it!
Cha-Ka Khan
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby Nordling on Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:39 am

It's a terrific show, destined for awards. My favorite scene would have to be Adams and Ben Franklin (a terrific Tom Wilkinson) editing Thomas Jefferson's (Stephen Dillane) Declaration of Independence and the look of horror on his face as they change word after word.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Fawst on Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:54 am

I only saw a brief portion of the first episode, where he was defending the Brits on trial for the Boston Massacre. I have to say, that looked like the most unsafe courthouse in history. Anyone could walk in and stab/shoot people, easily, since their backs were all to the damn doors.
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby minstrel on Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:16 pm

I'm finding it fascinating. And Giamatti is proving again what a versatile actor he is.

Hanks is a great producer. So far, this series has the kind of class and quality he brought to "From The Earth To The Moon", and that's high praise from me.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby buster00 on Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:19 pm

I like this show too. It truly shines a light on the depth and width of Paul Giamatti's range.

I'd like to see how it would've turned out if he had portrayed John Adams as Harvey Pekar.

Plus, I'm always fascinated by American Revolution type stuff.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:09 am

Production values are top notch (they should be with a budget of $100 million), the acting is superb, the story is dynamic, to say the least. I have just recently begun reading the journals of the continental congress so this mini-series couldn't have come at a better time.

Good stuff all around.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Evil Hobbit on Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:19 pm

Just finished with episode 3, remarkable. It was so weird to see Dutch actors talk in Dutch on an HBO show. The last time that happened was in Band of Brothers, during Market Garden, with the farmer. Great episode nonetheless, my favorite scene was when the French lady connect John with Adam and Eve. John's frustration was so great and he turned it so well by starting about him studying war and politics so that his children's children's generation could study the leisure's the French where currently enjoying.
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby minstrel on Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:29 pm

Evil Hobbit wrote:Just finished with episode 3, remarkable. It was so weird to see Dutch actors talk in Dutch on an HBO show. The last time that happened was in Band of Brothers, during Market Garden, with the farmer. Great episode nonetheless, my favorite scene was when the French lady connect John with Adam and Eve. John's frustration was so great and he turned it so well by starting about him studying war and politics so that his children's children's generation could study the leisure's the French where currently enjoying.

I thought that scene was wonderful also. This is turning into a great series.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby buster00 on Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:54 am

minstrel wrote:
Evil Hobbit wrote:Just finished with episode 3, remarkable. It was so weird to see Dutch actors talk in Dutch on an HBO show. The last time that happened was in Band of Brothers, during Market Garden, with the farmer. Great episode nonetheless, my favorite scene was when the French lady connect John with Adam and Eve. John's frustration was so great and he turned it so well by starting about him studying war and politics so that his children's children's generation could study the leisure's the French where currently enjoying.

I thought that scene was wonderful also. This is turning into a great series.

Count me in on this notion. Just watched it earlier.

Also, Carmine Falcone...er, Tom Wilkinson, makes an ideal Ben Franklin in this series.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:10 am

HOLY SHIT!!!

Just caught up to the first three episodes.
This project is AMAZING!!!!!

First of all, I can't believe how much emotion there is in this series so far. The courtroom scene in the first episode, The Continental Congress scenes, the inoculation scenes... so freaking TENSE!!! There is so much pain, pride, and sorrow leading up to the Declaration, and they did a great job in portraying that.

Abagail Adams.... so respected, so powerful in her own unassuming way, so funny when she picked on John's summary in the first episode. Laura Linney is doing a great job in this role.

George Washington.... so unbelievably MODEST!!! I'd love to see a companion piece on him from the same company. David Morse as George Washington for the motherfucking WIN!

Ben Franklin.... interesting. After seeing the clips for next week's episode, I don't want to totally hate on him, but man..... what a dick!!! What an almost-octogenarian playboy dick!!! So he may have had a point regarding Adams skills as an ambassador, but why didn't he just TALK TO HIM?!?! Wilkinson is fun to watch, and the physical resemblance to Franklin is uncanny at times.

Paul Giamatti as Adams is just perfect.

Thank you so far HBO.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:27 pm

Saw a preview for this. I might see if I can catch up with this. When does it air?
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby John-Locke on Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:31 pm

I wish this was a full blown series and not a Mini, only one more episode left of what can only be described as a most excellent Televisual experience because it's so interesting, educational and insightful, not to mention the greatness of the performances.

Pity we wont get to see a continuation with Jefferson in office.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby dablunt89 on Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:56 pm

Yea wouldn't it be great if they just kept going? Just straight up called it 'The American History' and continued with the story. Older characters die off, new characters come in, all played by new actors. Completely improbable and financially disastrous but we can dream can't we. Though if my memory serves there is a good chunk of time where nothing really happens except tariffs and rail road construction.
It doesn't have to make sense to be intense.
dablunt89
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Maui on Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:30 pm

I'm pretty certain they are airing ALL the episodes this Sunday on HBO, with the finale being the last show in the evening.

Good chance to catch this show in it's entirety, if you haven't already.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Evil Hobbit on Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:04 pm

And so another great mini ends. Thought provoking and highly emotional final episode. What can I say, it was a great series. Can't wait for the blu-ray :)
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Re: John Adams [HBO]

Postby TheButcher on Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:48 am

Damn good show!
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: John Adams [HBO]

Postby so sorry on Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:15 am

In my quest to catch up with great shows (years later), I'm a few episodes into this series. I was not expecting this at all, I heard great things, but damn this show (so far) is fantastic. Chill-worthy when certain speeches are given.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Return to Coaxial