Summer Heights High

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Summer Heights High

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:22 am

An ozzie mate lent me the DVD, it's sheer frigging class. As good as if not better than The Office, imo...

Anyone else seen it?
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:24 am

I have - it's merely ok. Chris Lilley's earlier series 'We Can Be Heroes' was better.
Last edited by tapehead on Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby silentbobafett on Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:24 am

Explain more... what is it exactly... I'll check it out if it sounds cool...
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:23 pm

I want to check out We Can Be Heroes, but I'll have to disagree that it's merely "ok". My flatmate and I have been really entertained and ploughed our way through the DVD, it's dark but touching. Some of the humour is reaaaalllyy close to crossing the line but somehow Chris Lilley gets away with it. The guy is a total genius at inhabiting characters.

If this is only OK compared to We Can Be Heroes then I have to check that one out ASAP.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:27 pm

silentbobafett wrote:Explain more... what is it exactly... I'll check it out if it sounds cool...

It's a mockumentary following a term or so of three characters - Mr G, an effete drama teacher with aspirations above his station and a neat line in self-obsession, Jonah, an islander kid who's his own worst enemy and constantly in trouble with staff and gruff father ("if you fuck up at school, that's fucked"), and Ja'mie, an exchange student from a private school whose an avid social climber and subtle racist. Essentially the main plotline seems to be Mr G putting on a show aided by his humble manservant science teacher, which is well worth the wait by the final episode. The other two plots aren't quite as simple but both have their payoffs.

It's well worth picking up if you can find it, or wait for it cos it's coming to the beeb and HBO as I just found out.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:35 pm

My curiosity is piqued.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:45 pm

It's worth it for the quote "I'd rather be a paedo than a lesbian".

Just a taster. There's more on Youtube but I suggest saving for seeing the whole eps. This clip's pretty dark...
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: Summer Heights High

Postby Ribbons on Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:03 am

Moriarty checks out Summer Heights High:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/39087
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Re: Summer Heights High - why is this not outside of oz yet?

Postby Fanboy on Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:52 pm

I watched the first episode this past Sunday and yea....

What's with this wave of foreign comedy coming to HBO? I'm sorry but Little Britain USA and Summer Heights High are just..not funny. I'm ashamed to say when I saw Summer Heights High it took me a few minutes to realize each "sketch" had the same guy playing the main character.
Fanboy
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:00 am

I caught the first episode of "Summer Heights High" last night and thought it was funny. The problem is the humor is so low-key that it moves past deadpan into dead which I'm sure will lead many to dismiss it. I'll be watching to see where this goes.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:22 am

For a much funnier Australian comedy try Wilfred
Wilfred has already gained deserved cult status in Australia. It's a unique comedic vision of slightly ageing single life on the verge of 'coupledom'; of rent and girlfriends, of being 'in between' jobs, smoking pot, and digging holes in the backyard. It's a look through dark suburbia at the modern male as a dirty dog.
Wilfred is the dog who thinks he's a human. Sarah is Wilfred's owner, and both of them are still grieving the old boyfriend. Adam is the new guy, the one that mothers like, eager to please, aware that maybe Sarah's just a little too good for him. A Bizarre Love Triangle? Adam seems to be the only human who can understand Sarah's 'little man' Wilfred when he talks... and Wilfred's dead against Adam doing the 'naughty boy' with Sarah.
Low Budget, live action (it's not a cartoon) black comedy - gold.

Fanboy will probably hate it.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Ribbons on Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:53 am

I was wondering if anybody knows whether the episodes they're airing on HBO now are the same that were produced however long ago that AH caught them, because the plot seems to be more or less the same.

I personally like it, I like that description of "dead" humor by Tyrone because a lot of it seems like it could actually happen besides for the fact that it's being acted out by a 30 year old man. But Lilley(?) is a genius; it's almost a little unnerving how much he acts and sounds like a high school girl. I don't know where it's going, but I'm down so far.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby tapehead on Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:47 am

Pretty sure there is only one series - Lilley is really talented and funny, I rekon he would be great in movies if he ever gets the chance. If he doesn't get to do another season of the show it might be because of the controversy he courted here with the storyline about the girl who died in the ecstasy-related mishap; some of the details were pretty close to a real-life incident that occured a few years ago in Oz.
Lilley produced another series a couple of years ago called We Can Be Heroes in which he plays almost the entire cast too, including a chinese student fascinated with aboriginal art and dance culture, and two twin brothers who are intent upon injuring each other violently. I know they don't really sound that funny in theory but His knack for disappearing into characters and creating unique personas makes for some hi-larious scenarios. It's probably funnier than Summer Heights for my money, but it's also what you might call a bit parochial or Australian-centric as it centers around contenders for the Australian of the Year award, so I'm not sure how well it would come across to Americans or Brits.

Wilfred is the shit though, I'm telling you.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Re: Summer Heights High (Now w/ 100% More HBO)

Postby Ribbons on Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:23 pm

tapehead wrote:If he doesn't get to do another season of the show it might be because of the controversy he courted here with the storyline about the girl who died in the ecstasy-related mishap; some of the details were pretty close to a real-life incident that occured a few years ago in Oz.

Yeah, I just saw that one. It is kind of messed up, but it's funny to me because there are certain boundaries between celebrity and reality that we don't cross. For example making a play about a normal girl who died from taking ecstasy (or a TV show about a play about said girl) is wrong, but if Britney Spears were to die of an overdose tomorrow there'd probably be a movie called Baby One More Time: The Britney Spears Story within 5 years, and barely anybody would bat an eyelash. And the drama teacher (whose name I can't remember right now) sort of lacks the ability to distinguish between celebrity and reality, so it seems appropriate to me that he would so something so, well, inappropriate.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Snow Apple on Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:14 am

I love the inappropriateness of it, it makes it better knowing it's based on reality. I can't wait to tell my mom because she cracks up over that musical.

I'm really enjoying the show. I'm still laughing from the first episode when Jonah said, "I'm sorry I'm allergic to your farts miss."
Snow Apple
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby Ribbons on Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:14 pm

So they just showed the series finale of this last night on HBO. Anybody else watch it?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Snow Apple on Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:45 am

I watched it a week late, but I watched it. I hope a new season, if there is one, doesn't mean new characters. Actually, new one's would be okay if Jonah came back. I could live without Mr. G and Ja'mai or however her stupid name is spelled.
Snow Apple
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby TheButcher on Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:39 pm

Jonah Takalua Montage Ep 1 - Summer Heights High
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:43 pm

PUCK YOU - Jonah - Summer Heights High
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:53 pm

TheButcher's a fan of Summer Heights High!

Thanks for the clips. They played a couple episodes on HBO last weekend, I forgot how much I liked this show.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby tapehead on Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:57 pm

For Chis Lilley fans, he has a new series on the way, which features a few familiar faces from his first series 'We can be Heroes'

http://www.watchangryboys.com/ Angry Boys.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Return to Coaxial