FRINGE

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Re: J.J. Abrams' FRINGE

Postby TheButcher on Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:16 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:37 pm

Fringe survives the Friday Night Death Slot! w000000oo0o0o!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheButcher on Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:41 pm

Ribbons wrote:

Fringe survives the Friday Night Death Slot! w000000oo0o0o!

From Collider:
FOX RENEWS “FRINGE” FOR FOURTH SEASON – IN BOTH UNIVERSES

FOX has renewed critically acclaimed thrilling drama FRINGE for a fourth season, it was announced today by Kevin Reilly, President, Entertainment for Fox Broadcasting Company.

“FRINGE has truly hit a creative stride and has distinguished itself as one of television’s most original programs. The series’ ingenious producers, amazingly talented cast and crew, as well as some of the most passionate and loyal fans on the planet, made this fourth-season pickup possible,” said Reilly. “When we moved the show to Fridays, we asked the fans to follow and they did. We’re thrilled to bring it back for another full season and keep it part of the FOX family.”

FRINGE co-creator and executive producer J.J. Abrams said, “We could not be happier that the fans of FRINGE (and our most excellent partners at FOX) have allowed us to continue telling stories from the fringe for another season!”

“This early pickup comes at a perfect time as we start production on the Season Three finale,” added FRINGE showrunners and executive producers Jeff Pinkner and J.H. Wyman. “We join the cast and crew in thanking our loyal fans and FOX for allowing us to have this much fun telling stories we love.”

Since moving to Fridays (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) in January, FRINGE is averaging a 2.2/7 among Adults 18-49 and has established itself as Friday’s No. 1 series in the core adult demographic.

The compelling third season continues tonight, Friday, March 25 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT), on FOX. In the “Bloodline” episode, the intensity of life “over there” accelerates as a pregnant OLIVIA (Anna Torv) is kidnapped and finds herself in mortal danger. As the Fringe Division races against time to find her, agent LINCOLN LEE (guest star Seth Gabel) receives some heartbreaking news as WALTER (John Noble) stops at nothing to preserve the new branch of the Bishop family tree.

Created by J.J. Abrams & Alex Kurtzman & Roberto Orci, FRINGE is produced by Bad Robot Productions in association with Warner Bros. Television. Abrams, Bryan Burk, Jeff Pinkner, J.H. Wyman and Joe Chappelle serve as executive producers, while Kurtzman, Orci and Akiva Goldsman are consulting producers. Additionally, Pinkner and Wyman serve as the series’ showrunners. Become a fan of the series on Facebook at www.facebook.com/fringe and follow the series on Twitter at www.twitter.com/fringeonfox (@fringeonfox).
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: FRINGE (Now w/ 100% More LSD)

Postby TheButcher on Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:36 pm

'Fringe' Executive Producer Calls Season 4 Renewal 'Gutsy'
Philiana Ng wrote:Fresh off the fourth season renewal of sci-fi drama "Fringe," which had the Internet buzzing Thursday night, executive producers Jeff Pinkner and Joel Wyman have a lot to be happy about. Despite disappointing ratings in recent Friday airings, the Fox series -- which, until yesterday’s announcement, was widely viewed as a bubble show -- will be back for another round.

With the Season 3 finale right around the corner, Pinkner and Wyman talked to The Hollywood Reporter about the surprising -- though they'd beg to differ -- full-season pickup.

The Hollywood Reporter: How surprised were you by the renewal?

Jeff Pinkner: We might be foolish but no, we were not surprised. [Laughs] Fox has been supportive throughout this process, from the beginning and certainly this season, wall-to-wall. They told us they were thrilled with the show creatively, the number wasn't exactly what they would’ve hoped for but they know the audience is deep and loyal and returns, and that's valuable to them. The critics have been so supportive and they were up front when they were moving us to Friday night that it wasn't one step closer to the door, it was actually a, "Hey, if the audience follows us to Friday night, we're in great shape." And the audience did.

We started to hear word back and forth between Fox and Warner Bros. What would the show look like next year over the past couple of weeks? So when a literal call came in yesterday, we were thrilled, but not necessarily surprised.

THR: How did the cast react when they were told?

Pinkner: The cast, they were thrilled. Ecstatic.

Joel Wyman: When you get to this point, so many people have been saying since we moved [from Tuesdays] to Thursdays -- the initial move -- "That's the end. That's it. They're done. It's over." Fox kept saying, "Well wait a minute, we're trying some stuff out here. We believe in this show." So every single step along the way, people have been killing the show before it was dead and I think that [the cast] became a little bit immune to those types of things and realized, "OK, we believe in what we're doing and we're going to just consistently do the best work we can and the chips will fall where they may." They're saying, "I would love to not have to give up these characters, but I'm living for today." They were very appreciative.

Pinkner: No matter what, you create a role for a moment in time. That moment in time could be 10 years or it could be three episodes or it could be a stage play or a movie that lasts; the character lives on but the role doesn't. No one was mourning the patient. Everybody had the highest expectation that they were coming back. Yet, the call is still thrilling.

THR: It helps that [Fox entertainment chief] Kevin Reilly is a big supporter of the show ...

Pinkner: It's the Sally Field moment: "They like me!"

Wyman: Kevin has been a supporter and a believer in the program since the get-go. Like Jeff said, they've been completely up front and straight the entire time about what their plans are strategically, what they're trying to do. It's not an easy place to be in their positions. A lot of fans have supported this program, the press has been so incredibly kind. Without that, who knows? I don't think that we wouldn't be here, but the truth is, they did exactly as they said they were going to do and kept us informed the entire way. I'm sure they get tons of phone calls all the time about, "Hey man, you know you did the wrong thing this one time but we believe you did the right thing." People should call them and say, "Nice job!"

THR: The critics love the show and there is a loyal following, as you're well aware.

Pinkner: We were told fans sent buckets and buckets of red licorice to Fox today.

Wyman: Kind of cool right?

THR: Can you talk about the big DVR numbers that the show gets?

Wyman: Jeff and I both felt at the beginning, when we start to see what was happening on Thursday nights, we realized a lot of people want to watch Fringe, they just don’t want to watch on Thursday nights. We start to talk about conceptually what does Thursday night mean to the viewer. We landed sort of on, well, it's sort of a romantic comedy night. People are watching Bones and then they're going over to Grey's [Anatomy]. It's sort of a heavy pill to sit down and watch a science-fiction show in the middle of that. They were watching, they just told us when they wanted to watch it so we were confident that the fans would follow us to Friday.

The DVRs now, we're in a weird evolution when it comes to how are we tracking shows and who's watching them and advertisers, I'm sure they're also asking, "How do we track this? How do we sell now? What does this look like?" I know for sure that the DVRs were definitely a part of the decision, they would have to be.

THR: Did you have to push for a full 22-episode order?

Pinkner: It's not really our job to push. It's our job to tell the best stories we can in the best fashion we can. Trust the marketplace, trust that the fans are there, trust that the studio and the network recognize that. This is such a hard moment in time to get people to commit to anything. We were saying to each other a couple days ago, when you go to a movie, you already know that there's an end. You might not like it, but you know when you leave the theater, you will have seen the end of the story.

So much TV these days doesn't make it to "the end," whatever the storytellers have in mind, or there is no end in place. It's hard to get people to commit and showing loyalty to an audience, which is obviously what Fox is doing here, really gains a lot of value for Fox. It's like, "Watch these shows we're putting on the air because we're going to stand behind as you do."

Wyman: They're saying, "Hey, we believe in this program and we want to be the purveyor of programs that are critically acclaimed and purveyor of programs that people are really responding to and really embracing," which sounds obvious but there's a lot of critically acclaimed shows that have gone by the wayside in the past. There's something to be said about that decision. It's gutsy.

THR: Do you have opinions on lead-ins for next season?

Pinkner: It's like saying, "What song should the next Radiohead album kick off with?" As fans, we can all speculate about that and the game is really fun to play, but as producers, we have no control over that. The network has a lot of people -- we couldn't even begin to understand -- with the years of expertise that we don't have.

THR: How disappointing is it to see these ratings come in each week?

Wyman: We have loyal fans and they're watching on DVRs. It would be great to have fantastic ratings, but the quality of our viewer is there. Their commitment to us is there. I think it's only getting harder for people to make appointment television. Families are all over the place, people have to work, they get home, they're exhausted. I'm on the inside and I'm also watching shows on DVR. For a science-fiction program, Jeff always says it's like licorice. There are people who love licorice and then there are people who don't, but the people who love licorice really love licorice.

Pinkner: The number is not our outcome goal; our outcome goal is to tell stories that people connect with. We don't wake up and look at the numbers as an objective thing. For all we know, for every one of those Nielsen boxes, there's 100 people watching the TV next to each other. One TV is on, but who knows how many people are sitting there.

Wyman: I always like to see these Nielsen families. I'd actually like to see them. [Laughs]

THR: Do you know anyone who has a box?

Wyman: I've never met anyone who has a box, have you? But you know what, I think we've just discovered something. I think you're right. I don't even think there are Nielsen boxes. How's that for a conspiracy theory?

THR: Now that the season is wrapping up, what can viewers be expecting leading up to the finale?

Wyman: Consistently, we've tried to have a new chapter begin at the end of the seasons. The first season was the Twin Towers and the second season was Olivia over there. This one will have the same effect that, sort of the beginning of a new understanding of the program.

THR: Has there been a plan in place story-wise for Season 4?

Pinkner: We don't have all the episodes written but we have the framework of a plan for the next series.

THR: Can you tell us anything about what you see happening in Season 4?

Pinkner: [Laughs] We can't, sorry. We have to let Season 3 finish first.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: FRINGE (Now w/ 100% More LSD)

Postby TheButcher on Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:01 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: FRINGE

Postby VegasRon on Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:44 am

This season started pretty strong but has been very hit-and-miss...with this last ep missing for me.
You can't take the sky from me...
VegasRon
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby The Vicar on Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:53 pm

VegasRon wrote:This season started pretty strong but has been very hit-and-miss...with this last ep missing for me.

I'm curious about the major ramping up of drug use in the last two or three episodes. What's THAT all about?
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby TheButcher on Tue May 03, 2011 2:40 am

Fringe - "The Day We Died" Trailer!
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby The Vicar on Tue May 03, 2011 6:52 am

Oh my. I know what I'm doing Friday.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby TheButcher on Fri May 20, 2011 10:45 pm

Writer-Producer David Fury Joins 'Fringe'
Former Lost co-executive producer David Fury is joining the upcoming season of Fox's Fringe as writer/consulting producer, reuniting with Lost creator/executive producer J.J. Abrams, who executive produces Fringe. In addition to his work on the first season of Lost, Fury is also known for his work on Buffy the Vampire Slayer and its spinoff Angel. He most recently served as writing executive producer on the pilot for Fox's Terra Nova until his departure in September over creative differences.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:17 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:08 am

From Deadline:
EMMYS: 'Fringe's Jeff Pinkner & Joel Wyman
Jeff Pinkner and Joel Wyman are more than just co-showrunners of the Fox science fiction hour Fringe. They’re also the gatekeepers of its genre-expanding premise that’s been described as a hybrid of The X-Files, Altered States, and The Twilight Zone. Despite being a critical darling through much of its first 3 seasons, however, the series has come up short with the TV Academy, generating only Emmy nominations in 2009 for special effects and 2010 for sound editing. Its stars Anna Torv and Josh Jackson remain otherwise unrecognized. The pair spoke with Deadline TV Contributor Ray Richmond about the show’s distinct sensibility and its third season:
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:26 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:53 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:09 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:27 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:35 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:41 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby King Psyz on Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:54 pm

King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby Nice Marmot on Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:00 am

Decent premiere. Kind of a dull case by Fringe standards. Hopefully there will be better ones, when they're not dealing w/ missing Peter.

Am I the only one thinking the Observers are too involved?

Not sure if it was just me, but there were some dramatic musical swells in odd places.
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON

Postby DerLanghaarige on Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:25 pm

Okay, the season 3 finale has just aired over here and it lost me as a viewer. Ever since the parallel world was introduced, the show, which started as interesting SciFi crime series, got worse and worse, but now it just became ham fisted bullshit.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Nice Marmot on Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:40 am

You gotta watch the new season premiere. I need to read just how much you hate it . . .
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON

Postby DerLanghaarige on Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:39 pm

I don't have any intention to, but let's see if something else is on when the new season starts here next year.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby papalazeru on Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:02 pm

Fringe is a silly show that just happens to be quite entertaining.

They've had some wonderful eps in the past so I'm looking forward to the new shows, but it's a throwaway show. It's not changing anything, it's just being a vaguely entertaining sci-fi show (I use the term Sci-fi very loosely).

I'm just very glad it takes itself less seriously than Lost did.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby VegasRon on Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:14 am

Just watched the first two eps of S4. After a disappointing S3, things are looking pretty good. The first ep was just so-so, nothing special, but the second ep is a top three of the series for me. I really enjoyed it, and hope this kind of interaction between the two Olivias and the two worlds continue.

They also need to hurry up and bring Peter back, there's no suspense of IF he's coming back, just WHEN. So get it over already.

Also, OtherBroyles died, how is he back?
VegasRon
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:21 am

VegasRon wrote:Just watched the first two eps of S4. After a disappointing S3, things are looking pretty good. The first ep was just so-so, nothing special, but the second ep is a top three of the series for me. I really enjoyed it, and hope this kind of interaction between the two Olivias and the two worlds continue.

They also need to hurry up and bring Peter back, there's no suspense of IF he's coming back, just WHEN. So get it over already.

when peter ceased to exist... EVERYTHING CHANGED!!!!! (in a deep resonant booming voice with a dramatic music cue behind it)
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby VegasRon on Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:50 am

TheBaxter wrote:
VegasRon wrote:Just watched the first two eps of S4. After a disappointing S3, things are looking pretty good. The first ep was just so-so, nothing special, but the second ep is a top three of the series for me. I really enjoyed it, and hope this kind of interaction between the two Olivias and the two worlds continue.

when peter ceased to exist... EVERYTHING CHANGED!!!!! (in a deep resonant booming voice with a dramatic music cue behind it)

haha fair enough.
VegasRon
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby TheButcher on Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:43 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:30 pm

People seem to think that Fringe has stalled creatively in season 4. I for one couldn't disagree more.

For example, I find it fascinating that in the old timeline they lived in a universe where everybody drove only Fords, and in the new timeline they live in a universe where everybody drives only Nissans.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Al Shut on Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:35 pm

And that is the cause of all other differences.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:40 pm

Ribbons wrote:People seem to think that Fringe has stalled creatively in season 4. I for one couldn't disagree more.

For example, I find it fascinating that in the old timeline they lived in a universe where everybody drove only Fords, and in the new timeline they live in a universe where everybody drives only Nissans.

apparently when peter ceased to exist, so did ford's sponsorship of the show. luckily peter rematerialized, and brought some nissan money back with him.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:22 pm

VegasRon wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:
VegasRon wrote:Also, OtherBroyles died, how is he back?

haha fair enough.

Some of the changes are... confusing, but this one actually seems pretty easy to track. So because Peter ceased to exist (or at least died when he was supposed to), that means he never crossed over with Walternate to be with his real family. Which means Olivia never got stuck over there trying to bring him back, which means OtherBroyles never got killed trying to help her escape.

Also I think this year has been the strongest since season 1, although there's still 2/3 of the episodes left to go. They've broken the formula a little bit, but it seems to have energized the story. Any creative decision that puts the stupid Olivia-Peter romance on the backburner is okay in my book. Don't give me this nü-Alias, 'you're the most special person that has ever lived and our love transcends destiny' bullshit. Plus I think the cases-of-the-week are more interesting.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby King Psyz on Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:27 pm

I am super excited to have a villan back and the reveal that walternate2.0 isn't the douche walternate is.

King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby TheButcher on Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:48 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: FRINGE The Fifth And Final Season

Postby TheButcher on Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:18 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:14 am

'Fringe' Co-Showrunner Jeff Pinkner Exits for [b]Final Season

Philiana Ng wrote:As Fringe approaches its fifth and final season, it will be without one of its top bosses.

Jeff Pinkner, who has served as co-showrunner of Fox's cult series with J.H. Wyman since season two, will not be returning next year in order to pursue new projects, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.

Wyman will take on sole showrunning duties, while Pinkner will no longer keep his executive producer title on the show.

“We’re so excited to begin work on a fifth season of Fringe and to be able to deliver the 13 final episodes to our passionate and devoted fans,” said Fringe co-creator J.J. Abrams in a statement. “For four years, J.H. Wyman and Jeff Pinkner have worked tirelessly as a team to keep all the worlds in order on Fringe. We’re thankful for the invaluable contributions Jeff has made to the show and of course wish him well and look forward to working together in the future. J.H. Wyman’s importance to Fringe cannot be overstated, however, and I'm thrilled that he will continue as showrunner for the concluding chapters of our story. We can’t wait for our fans to see what we have in store for them in the wild conclusion of Fringe.”

Wyman took to Twitter on Tuesday afternoon, writing: "I will be here until the last frame. We always encourage everyone to pursue their creative paths." He also revealed the title of the fifth season premiere, "Transilience Thought Unifier Model-11," tweeting a photo of the script.

Co-created by Abrams, Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman, Fox greenlighted 13 more episodes of Fringe in late April, bringing the series to an end after 100 episodes, a critical syndication threshold for studio Warner Bros. TV. Fringe was also acquired by the Science Channel in an off-network syndication deal.

TV Guide first reported the news.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:05 am

Hmm... :?

Considering they're already in pre-production on the final half-season, the timing of the exit is a little odd. But who knows? I guess it's not like the show's going to be ruined, since it's cancelled either way.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheButcher on Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:13 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:10 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:49 pm

J.J. Abrams Talks STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS, 3D, MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE 5, the FRINGE Finale, Future Projects, Maintaining Secrecy and More
Christina Radish wrote:Have you seen the Fringe finale?

ABRAMS:
I have not seen it. But, the cut has just come in, apparently. I could go watch it right now. Joel [Wyman] is also furiously working on his pilot and splitting his time between that and the new show, which I also can’t wait to talk to you about. But, it will be great. The script was unbelievable. I think it’s going to be incredibly emotional.

Is it satisfying?

ABRAMS:
If it’s not satisfying, I don’t know what satisfying is. Yes, I think it will be satisfying.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:56 pm

The last Fringe EVAR is this Friday, peoples. I'm behind schedule, as usual, but I watched the first two episodes over the weekend and can say that it's off to a pretty strong start. Although I do wish that we had gotten more time with smart, badass Walter before they turned him back into lovable addled coot Walter.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:32 pm

it was a good finale. not quite as "crazy" as i expected or maybe hoped. i think the emotional parts would have been more affecting if i could've kept track over the past couple seasons of which of the various alt-universe/alt-timeline versions of peter, olivia and walter we were dealing with. i did like the way they incorporated the white tulip into the end, even if i saw it coming a mile away.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheButcher on Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:19 am

Fringe: Answering The Unanswered: An SFX#234 Preview
In the latest issue of SFX (#234, in the shops now) Fringe co-executive producer David Fury tries to answer some of the questions left dangling after the show’s final episode.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:01 am

looks like i was the only one to even comment on the finale. i think that goes to show just how little impact that finale had. say what you will about the Lost finale, love it or hate it, at least it had an impact. this finale was just kinda.... there. i'd pretty much forgotten it (and the rest of the show) entirely within a week.

TheButcher wrote:Fringe: Answering The Unanswered: An SFX#234 Preview
In the latest issue of SFX (#234, in the shops now) Fringe co-executive producer David Fury tries to answer some of the questions left dangling after the show’s final episode.

that excerpt pretty much sums up why this show went off the rails. too much time and effort trying to figure out what had or hadn't happened, which alternate timeline or universe or reality had or hadn't been erased or negated or whatever.... it's hard to care about characters when you don't even know which version of those characters you're watching any more.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:00 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:18 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

FRINGE: Delicious Strawberry Flavored Death!

Postby TheButcher on Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:34 am

Delicious Strawberry Flavored Death!

TIME Dec. 15, 2010:
James Poniewozik wrote:Fringe is not going gentle into that good Friday night. As this promo clip indicates, the show’s January move to Friday is often considered a mark of doom for a series. But the show is looking to make the best of the situation, and—like any good mad-scientist drama—trying to conquer death.

The funny thing is that Fringe is only getting better as its prognosis seemingly gets worse. The sad thing is my worry that, somehow, its prognosis is getting worse because the show is getting better. Can Fringe stay true to its delightful freakiness and un-die?

(Hat tip Ken Tucker.)

FRINGE: The Infamous Friday Night Death Slot
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:17 am

What's Anna Torv been up to?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheButcher on Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:38 am

THR MARCH 08, 2016:
Anna Torv Boards David Fincher's Netflix Drama 'Mind Hunter'
Lesley Goldberg wrote:Anna Torv is plotting her small-screen return.

The Fringe star has signed on to David Fincher's upcoming Netflix drama Mind Hunter, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

The project is based on the 1996 book Mind Hunter: Inside the FBI's Elite Serial Crime Unit by John Douglas and Mark Olshanker. While specific details about the drama are being kept under wraps in typical Fincher fashion, the series is said to revolve around two FBI agents in 1979 who interview serial killers in an effort to help them solve current murders. Torv will play Wendy, a psychologist. She joins previously cast Jonathan Groff (Looking), who will play Holden, one of the special agents.

Originally developed at HBO via Fox 21, Mind Hunter hails from Fincher as well as Charlize Theron's Denver and Delilah banner. Joe Penhall (The Road) will pen the script for Netflix, with Fincher and Theron on board to executive produce.

For Torv, the role marks her stateside TV return following her starring role in HBO's Ryan Murphy sexuality drama Open. The actress, best known for Fox's cult sci-fi drama Fringe, most recently filmed Australian dramas Deadline Gallipoli and Secret City. She is repped by WME and United Management in Australia.

Reps for Netflix and Torv declined comment.

BMD Oct. 16, 2017:
Why Now Is The Perfect Time To Re-Visit FRINGE
LINDSEY ROMAIN wrote:I miss Olivia Dunham.

I think about her all the time. As workplace assault cycles through the news, week after week. As women in positions of power are publicly tried for not doing enough, saying enough, being enough. As the world slips like sheets of ice into an endless void of destruction: the hurricanes, the fires, the threat of nuclear destruction. I think of her most of all when I consider our president, and the annihilation of truth, the fabric of our perceived reality folding into itself at warp speed.

Fringe is about all of these things, and it’s alarming how even the genre dressing doesn’t distance it from the actuality of our present.

I thought of Fringe and Olivia a lot this weekend as I watched Netflix’s Mindhunter. It’s hard not to: Both star Anna Torv as a slick, smart, FBI-affiliated badass. Both involve underfunded, top-secret government side projects overseen by an unconvinced official. Both dig into the psychology of psychopaths, probing at universal questions that have no answers but court them anyway. And though they diverge wildly in tone and circumstance, there was a familiarity in the whiskey-sipping, retro-drenched aesthetics of long, flickering hallways and noir-ish winks and nods. I love both shows, but the dreariness of Mindhunter made me crave the vibrant optimism of Fringe, a series that – as the world spins madly off the wheels – I suddenly, voraciously crave.

For the uninitiated, Fringe – Fox’s little-seen but much-loved sci-fi drama – follows FBI agent Olivia Dunham (Torv) and the Fringe Division, a ragtag team of investigators who use fringe science and other unorthodox methods to study a series of unexplained, seemingly natural occurrences tied to the existence of a parallel universe. The division is comprised of Dunham, junior FBI agent Astrid Farnsworth (Jasika Nicole), the formerly institutionalized mad scientist Walter Bishop (John Noble), and his ex-con son Peter (Josh Jackson), whose mysterious origins anchor the show’s central mystery. Lance Reddick, Seth Gabel, Michael Cerveris, Kirk Acevedo, Altered States’ Blair Brown, and Leonard Nimoy all play notable supporting roles.

The through-the-roof excellent cast is just part of the alchemy that makes Fringe so special. It’s the beautiful, zany way the actors are characterized that makes all the horrific shit they investigate – from fused inter-dimensional corpses to shape-shifting government soldiers to time-traveling train riders – understandable, almost quaint. Noble’s Walter is a standout, a man so ravaged by the demons of his diabolical past that he’s turned grandfatherly by the trauma, his love of pastries and recreational drugs as pronounced as his knowledge of quantum physics. Who can forget the image of Walter, elbow-deep in autopsy blood, chomping away at Red Vines while he marvels at human anatomy? It’s hard to reconcile that Walter with the destroyer of worlds he once was. But it’s that exact moral dichotomy – one that mines the good and evil that exist in a single person – that keeps Fringe from feeling like other run-of-the-mill genre fare. In Fringe, the heroes are the villains are the heroes.

That notion is pushed even further as the show moves into parallel universe and time travel territory, and we’re introduced to the many alternate versions of the Fringe Division team. It’s a literal confrontation of id, with characters encountering the visage of what they might have been, or what they could still be with a little twist of fate. The once-bad, now-good Walter of our side meets the once-good, now-bad Walter of Over There. Similarly, the hardened Olivia of our side meets her sprightly other universe döppleganger, a woman who looks the same but suffered less – no abuse at the hands of men, no divorce, no treacherous lovers.

Walter may be the show’s lovable brute, and Peter the de-facto “chosen one” – or as close as Fringe gets to that sort of archetype – but Olivia is its gravitational force, the character I connected with immediately and still, all these years later, can’t seem to shake. Torv was initially criticized for her “wooden” performance, cited in the first season as the show’s weak link. But, as we learned with each shed layer, with each prying storyline, with each other-Olivia reveal, those hollow eyes were merely an affectation. Torv’s Olivia is, actually, magnificent and complex, a field agent battered but not broken by child abuse and experimentation, the psycho-sexual duplicity of a former partner, and all the battering that comes with being a woman in a field occupied largely, and boastfully, by men. In Season 1, she is begrudgingly hired by Reddick’s Broyles, who spends much of the season downplaying her achievements, rolling his eyes in her general direction. That same season, she is taunted by a male colleague who she’d formerly reported for sexual assault, a man protected by her department and boss, who grows more dangerous in their ignorance.

Olivia’s body is also a tool for the show to examine matters of female autonomy, sexuality, and reproductivity. She floats in deprivation tanks, is probed with needles and experimental drugs, is possessed by a male scientist, nearly ployed into with a brain saw while her other-world alternate fucks her boyfriend in her own bed. Science fiction loves using heroines as springboards for horrific ideas of grandeur, and Fringe is as guilty as this of anything. When I say I miss Olivia, I don’t miss bearing witness to her various tortures. What I miss is her perseverance, and absolute refusal to sink as her body is stripped from her, figment by figment. In the final season – a gloriously whacky and experimental coda that I love as much as I hate – she is punted 20-something years into the future, an incident that, after a few heavy breaths and eye flicks, she blinks away like it’s nothing. Years of being a woman in this world makes reorientation a casual affair for Olivia Dunham.

Another thing I love about Olivia: She absolutely refuses to accept the apocalypse. Not in any universe. In Season 3’s “Entrada,” as she’s trapped in the depths of a government facility in the parallel universe, she vows to find a cure for the anomalies plaguing that world. “Both universes can survive. There must be another way, and I promise you I will find it,” she says, her face covered in Sharpie markings that point to where scientists will soon cut into her brain. Minutes from her own death, and she’s plotting for global survival. I am woman, hear me roar.

Olivia’s spirit seeps into the soul and fabric of Fringe, and that’s exactly what makes it such a rewarding, comforting series to revisit right now. As our own world inches closer to what feels like total chaos, Fringe is a happy reminder that perseverance, optimism, family, friends, and Red Vines are a remedy for those larger, darker, all-consuming thoughts. I breathed a sigh of relief as I cued up my Blu-rays, floating back into a world where a father’s love for his son breaks and mends a universal divide, where a woman’s unbreakable spirit leads to the manifestation of literal super powers, and where a strain of marijuana called Brown Betty causes a mad scientist to hallucinate a retro-noir scenario where corpses sing like Willy Wonka. Fringe, you soon discover, is attuned that great, cosmic joke: That there’s no real difference between reality and surreality, that everything is absurd, so let’s hang on tight, fight for what’s right, and enjoy the ride.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Previous

Return to Coaxial