FRINGE

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

FRINGE

Postby Bob Samonkey on Thu May 22, 2008 4:08 pm

Seems like an interesting show. I thought it was funny how a plane is involved in the pilot again.

Here is the trailer. And here is more info from the Wikipedia...

What do you guys think?

It has been a long time since I have created a thread so I am sorry about its lameness...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu May 22, 2008 4:18 pm

It could be pretty cool. Ill check out the first couple episodes for sure.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby travis-dane on Thu May 22, 2008 4:23 pm

Well,JJ has done some great things until now(I Love M:I3)......
Fringe seems to be "vintage" JJ......
And the kid from Dawsons Creek seems to fit in there really good!
Maybe Quentin will show up again?
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby papalazeru on Thu May 22, 2008 4:35 pm

It's Pacy....

Welcome back man....you aint nothing without....
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby The Vicar on Thu May 22, 2008 5:02 pm

Aw geez...when is that kid going to grow a pair?
He's been weeping up Teh Zone for almost three years now......
No one whines that much.... except..... for....
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby papalazeru on Thu May 22, 2008 5:19 pm

The Vicar wrote:Aw geez...when is that kid going to grow a pair?
He's been weeping up Teh Zone for almost three years now......
No one whines that much.... except..... for....

But, what would the zone be without a bit of Dawson?

I think I'm going to cry myself,
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Zarles on Fri May 23, 2008 5:47 pm

This shameless Abrams fanboy will be watching and devoting every joyful moment to our fallen Zoner Chilli.

:: pours some out ::
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby yorrick brown on Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:28 am

review,

MAJOR SPOILERS

Reviewer isn`t a fan.

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/12500
Should I call you Bullet? Tooth?
You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
yorrick brown
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby silentbobafett on Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:16 am

Anyone know when this starts? Is it a summer show or not?

What new am I going to watch over the summer?
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:20 am

silentbobafett wrote:Anyone know when this starts? Is it a summer show or not?

It's a fall show.

Summer shows: Weeds, Entourage, Mad Men, Venture Bros, and Burn Notice. Thats all I can think about thats worthwhile this summer. Or atleast what comes to mind right now.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Evil Hobbit on Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:45 am

stereosforgeeks wrote:
silentbobafett wrote:Anyone know when this starts? Is it a summer show or not?

It's a fall show.

Summer shows: Weeds, Entourage, Mad Men, Venture Bros, and Burn Notice. Thats all I can think about thats worthwhile this summer. Or atleast what comes to mind right now.

When is Entourage returning? Any words yet?
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby hackett on Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:18 pm

weird... the dude who meets Hurley in the mental hospital and pushes Locke around is in the show... JJ is stealing actors from Lost now?
http://vimeo.com/pandachase - now in technicolor
hackett
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Fawst on Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:46 pm

Something tells me the pilot was filmed before he did his scenes for this season of Lost. Or at the very least, before he turned into a recurring character.

This looks pretty slick. The promos are great, and the concept is good stuff: Alias meets X-Files. The leading lady is sexy in a "Jennifer Garner meets Franka Potente meets Peta Wilson" sorta way. I haven't read the review linked above, but I did read the one that Herc posted a while back on Coaxial, and it was generally positive.
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby hackett on Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:01 pm

So the show is about bio terrorism and science?
hackett
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:13 pm

hackett wrote:So the show is about bio terrorism and science?

No that would be ReGenesis.

Fringe can deal with these topics but i think it's got supernatural elements as well.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby hackett on Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:17 pm

the mad scientist character seemed a bit out there... i think Jackson and the new female lead have Mulder and Scully potential.
hackett
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Evil Hobbit on Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:00 pm

hackett wrote:weird... the dude who meets Hurley in the mental hospital and pushes Locke around is in the show... JJ is stealing actors from Lost now?

No he's stealing actors from the Wire.
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby hackett on Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:46 pm

oh , well now i'm cool with that
hackett
MONKEY BUTLER

Re: J.J. Abrams' FRINGE

Postby Xate™ on Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:14 am

Agrees with the review above...

The main problem isn't the cast, it's the ridiculousness of the story. They really need to make it believable. This is where it fails. Unlike X-Files, Lost etc. this isn't believable - at all. Unless they fix that, it's gonna be DOA.
Xate™
GLIB

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:51 am

Xate™ wrote:Agrees with the review above...

The main problem isn't the cast, it's the ridiculousness of the story. They really need to make it believable. This is where it fails. Unlike X-Files, Lost etc. this isn't believable - at all. Unless they fix that, it's gonna be DOA.

Im not sure this is supposed to be truly believable. That being said there was only one point in the episode where I was scratching my head in a *SERIOUSLY THEY DID THAT* type of thing. I think Abrams and Co. will find the right tone and level of out there but still quasi possible in future episodes. Anyway the cast all did a good job with the pilot.

It was funny to see Peter Outerbridge show up as Fringe is treading similiar thematic ground to his own show ReGenesis.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby John-Locke on Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:56 pm

Just watched the leaked pilot. First off why didn't anyone tell me this the pilot was online already?

I'm not sure I like the actress who plays the main character, she might be lacking that little 'je ne sais pas' that is required for an actor to carry a show, at first glance anyways. She looks like a mix between Moon Bloodgood and Cate Blanchett, not sure if thats a good thing or a bad thing yet.

I think the show has legs though, it'll be a good mix of Mystery of the week with an over-arching story and it's not afraid to be unconventional. Noble and Jackson played off of each other well and Reddick is always badass so as long as the lead actress can grow on me and the story lines stay fresh and don't dive into ridiculousness, I'm going to be watching. I hope they interject a little more humour though, what they had (Noble pissing himself and the cow watching spongebob with them) worked well.

I want to watch it again with the finished score (assuming that it was temp score), hearing what I now call the Lost homage to Jaws theme and the music from the climax of Aliens pulled me out of the show a little.

Did anyone else think it was stupid how the main character didn't think to question her dead boyfriend? I was glad they didn't treat us the audience like total idiots though and at least the bad guys were on the ball.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:21 pm

John-Locke wrote:Just watched the leaked pilot. First off why didn't anyone tell me this the pilot was online already?

I haven't watched any of them yet but other shows leaked at the same time include:

- Life on Mars US pilot
- Do Not Disturb (Jason Bateman directed comedy, with Jerry O'Connell & Robert Wagner in it)
- Raising the Bar (some Steven Bochco law drama)
- Pretty/Handsome (drama from the creator of Nip/Tuck - "A married father of two tells his wife and teenage sons that he is transsexual" - Joseph Fiennes, Trinity &...Robert Wagner are in it)
- True Blood (supernatural HBO series, based on some book, has Rogue in it as a telepathic waitress)
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DanielSan on Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:40 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
John-Locke wrote:Just watched the leaked pilot. First off why didn't anyone tell me this the pilot was online already?

I haven't watched any of them yet but other shows leaked at the same time include:

- Life on Mars US pilot
- Do Not Disturb (Jason Bateman directed comedy, with Jerry O'Connell & Robert Wagner in it)
- Raising the Bar (some Steven Bochco law drama)
- Pretty/Handsome (drama from the creator of Nip/Tuck - "A married father of two tells his wife and teenage sons that he is transsexual" - Joseph Fiennes, Trinity &...Robert Wagner are in it)
- True Blood (supernatural HBO series, based on some book, has Rogue in it as a telepathic waitress)

Where, where, where, WHERE online?

:twisted:
DanielSan
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:14 am

I liked The Fringe pilot...yet at the same time it didn't feel original or unique in any key way.

The X-Files - yeah - but I was also thinking about things like Torchwood, Threshold...films like Hollow Man and iRobot. It's all seems too familiar, like parts of several other shows smudged into one.

I was just expecting a lot more than it delivered...perhaps too much.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Maui on Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:10 pm

I'll be on board for the premiere of this show on Sept. 9th. From what I've been reading here and there, it looks promising.
Maui
WoWie

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:18 am

Um, yeah... that was awesome. Like X-Files for the Planetary set. Bring it, JJ. Bring it so I can love it at first and then hate you again.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:50 pm

Set your DVR people it's on tonight!
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:17 pm

Set!
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby VegasRon on Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:29 am

Needs more Frank Black.

Just saying.
You can't take the sky from me...
VegasRon
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby BuckyO'harre on Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:31 am

Mostly liked what I saw.

The serious dialogue needs polishing, but I liked the humorous bits.

"Only thing better than a cow is a human...unless you need milk. Then you really need a cow."

Yay for John Noble!
Thank you, Zoners, for the kindness, tolerance, and enlightenment you've shared with me. It may not have been deserved, but it was greatly appreciated nonetheless. Soupy twist.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DanielSan on Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:19 am

Am I the only one who was disappointed by this pilot? The series has great potential - and a limitless supply of plots and "scientific monsters of the week". But it dragged at several points, and that FBI agent was a fool. Even though the doctor ended up being correct, is it really believable that she would agree to be given LSD, have a shunt put in her brain, and thrown into a sensory deprivation chamber? With no other evidence than a crazy scientist's ramblings? In a nasty old lab that hadn't seen the light of day for 17 years?

That was my biggest problem with the pilot. She did certain things with no reason whatsoever other than that was what the script called for. Sure, they had Pacey standing there saying what everyone else in the audience was thinking, but that was small comfort. It just seemed SO preposterous.

Now, all that being said, I enjoyed the opening plane sequence (Jesus, that was graphic!); and the "resolution" of the FBI agents' romance. And I'm sure that, now that the characters have been established, the episodes will flow better. I just hope they don't keep having the FBI agent act like a 'tard the whole series.
DanielSan
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:34 am

I think, on the whole, it's kinda bland. There've been a few shows with fringe science plots, lots with FBI agents/criminal investigations, and many with secret organisations backstories....so it didn't seem anything more than ordinary.

Not bad...just not particularly unique or exciting.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:58 pm

I actually bought into her doing the experiment, but I may be reading too much into the scenes of her researching the doc. Add that to the fact that she was desperate for clues in a crime that seemed unsolvable. The only thing I didn't get was why that dude committed such a horrendous act of terrorism in the first place. If it was explained, could someone fill me in?
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby VegasRon on Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:39 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:I actually bought into her doing the experiment, but I may be reading too much into the scenes of her researching the doc. Add that to the fact that she was desperate for clues in a crime that seemed unsolvable. The only thing I didn't get was why that dude committed such a horrendous act of terrorism in the first place. If it was explained, could someone fill me in?

Wasn't it a "dry run" for whoever is behind the rogue FBI guy?

I enjoyed it, I'm in love with Anna Torv and like the dyfunctional group dynamic. Nothing amazingly new, but I'll definitely watch it to see if it develops.
VegasRon
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:31 am

So is JJ now going to open every new pilot of his with something horrible happening on an airliner? Can't wait to see that sitcom he's been talking about.

I bought into her doing the experiment because she quite clearly was desperate to help the man she loves. The problem I have is with the depiction of Massive Dynamic. The world looks just like ours and then she steps into the MD building which appears to have been designed and built by Starfleet. There's just a bunch of technology that apparently exists nowhere outside of that building. Robot arms? I had to laugh a little bit when the MD woman said to interrogate the dead guy because I used to have a comic book that had almost that exact dialog on the cover; can't remember the name of it.

No, its not especially ground breaking but I think it has room to grow so I'll stick with it for a while and see what happens.

And me likey Anna Torv.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DanielSan on Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:52 am

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:The world looks just like ours and then she steps into the MD building which appears to have been designed and built by Starfleet.

Ha! You're exactly right!

Don't get me wrong - I'm certainly going to keep watching the show, and am looking forward to see where it heads. I was just flummoxed by her rather insane reliance on a very insane man.
DanielSan
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby Evil Hobbit on Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:57 pm

LOVED the opening on the airplane, that was more graphic then most Masters of Horror episodes. Bit disappointed that everything afterwards was so toned down and safe. Some nice Foxish chase scenes though and add to that some JJ touches like an Alias twist or Lostish music and some long dynamic circle around the main characters ER style steadycamshot discussions, and you got at least an interesting show. Storywise it was indeed a bit far fetched, with her jumping into this experiment thing. Curious where the show's going.
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby bastard_robo on Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:31 am

Opening was, well, fucked for Prime time network TV..

The whole thing with Massive Dynamic and their world as the lab experiments seems to be what SURFACE was aiming for towards the end of the show.

I'll say, they got me hooked, I'll be hanging around..
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Nick on Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:56 am

I liked it

Then again, I usually like JJ stuff

I'm already assuming that it is going to get really freaking weird and go off on all directions and then JJ will give the show to someone else while keeping his name on it... like that other show he made and now keeps his name on but has written all of one episode in the past few seasons
-nick
Nick
AICN Crew

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:21 am

Maybe the robot arm isn't so far-fetched.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:12 am

I haven't seen the first episode of the show, but I was on the subway this afternoon and I saw a poster for the show that I thought looked pretty cool (took me a surprisingly long time to find on teh Internetz):

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Evil Hobbit on Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:36 pm

Amazing how JJ manages to make these Word Art'ish titles look cool...
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby Squashua on Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:28 am

Man, last night's episode was lousy.

They need to make fun of this show on, say, MadTV or SNL and "transition" somewhere so the name of the place appears in the air, and someone walking by just fucking whacks their head on it.
Squashua
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:35 am

Squashua wrote:Man, last night's episode was lousy.

They need to make fun of this show on, say, MadTV or SNL and "transition" somewhere so the name of the place appears in the air, and someone walking by just fucking whacks their head on it.

:roll:

that is all.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:04 pm

Squashua wrote:Man, last night's episode was lousy.

LOL YOU SHOUDL WRIT 4 ONE THOSE SCARY MOVIE MOVIES LOL THE JJ ABRAMS MOVIE LOL
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby TonyWilson on Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:57 pm

Well I really like this show, it's had a better first two episodes than Lost did. Joshua Jackson (by far the only good thing about Dawson's Creek so I'm glad he's doing well for himself) and John Noble are good apart and great together, Anna Torv is lovely if a little stilted and Lance Reddick is awesome as usual. The writing is almost entirely exposition but the show moves at such a fast pace it's doesn't matter. I love the crazy faux-science but I fear it will have problems sustaining a different weird scientific event each week for 22 weeks or beyond, which means the "Pattern" needs to have a solid conspiracy/story behind it rather than anything as amorphous as Lost's (current) mythology.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Ribbons on Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:03 pm

TonyWilson wrote:Joshua Jackson (by far the only good thing about Dawson's Creek so I'm glad he's doing well for himself)

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Evil Hobbit on Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:52 pm

Ribbons wrote:
TonyWilson wrote:Joshua Jackson (by far the only good thing about Dawson's Creek so I'm glad he's doing well for himself)

Aaaaaah, so THAT is where he's from. I was wondering all the episode; where the hell is that dude from? He looks like the Early Edition now Bruce Baxter King Kong dude but yet, he most definately ain't that one. It's mister cry baby, tx guys, my mind is clear now.
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby VegasRon on Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:56 pm

TonyWilson wrote:Well I really like this show, it's had a better first two episodes than Lost did. Joshua Jackson (by far the only good thing about Dawson's Creek so I'm glad he's doing well for himself) and John Noble are good apart and great together, Anna Torv is lovely if a little stilted and Lance Reddick is awesome as usual. The writing is almost entirely exposition but the show moves at such a fast pace it's doesn't matter. I love the crazy faux-science but I fear it will have problems sustaining a different weird scientific event each week for 22 weeks or beyond, which means the "Pattern" needs to have a solid conspiracy/story behind it rather than anything as amorphous as Lost's (current) mythology.

The first two eps are better than the first two of Lost? Look, I'm no Lost fanboy, but that statement is ridiculous on every level. The only thing this pretty derivative show has done better is the gore. The MOTW story for ep 2 was downright bad.

And we're 2 for 2 on fire escape chase scenes. Let's hope they mix one in every week.
VegasRon
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby TonyWilson on Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:08 pm

I thought the first two eps of lost were a fairly standard if high budget pilot for a show, the same as Fringe really but I was more entertained by Fringe's first two eps than I was Lost's. Lost went on to be a brilliant, epic original show and I can't see this doing the same but so far it's pretty good.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Next

Return to Coaxial