FRINGE

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Re: J.J. Abrams' FRINGE

Postby Jabbadonut on Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:04 am

Another top 5 show for me. John Noble is absolutely incredible as Walter Bishop.
Look! Even Steve is throwing chocolate snowballs . . . oh . . .
Jabbadonut
REAL DRAGON

Postby Ribbons on Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:34 am

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby John-Locke on Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:16 pm

Did no one else watch Thursdays new episode? Pretty much explained all of Walters/Peters history and a hell of a lot else too if you did miss it. It wasn't particularly exciting but it was well done and the 1980's style retro credits were very cool indeed.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby BuckyO'harre on Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:09 am

I did! Wonderful episode.

Hopefully Walter didn't kill Walternate,and we'll see one majorly pissed off mad scientist down the line.I assume the writers wouldn't waste an opportunity like that,but I'm concerned that it may be a part of Walter's guilt.Not that he didn't cause enough trouble,but it's just a feeling I have.I'd be happy if I'm wrong.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:28 am

I missed it. To Hulu!
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:09 am

Very good ep, and I'm glad they're getting a third season.
Can the Battle of the Walters be far behind? Oh, I hope not.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby BuckyO'harre on Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:09 pm

Next week- Peter Weller!
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bob Samonkey on Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:58 am

John-Locke wrote:Did no one else watch Thursdays new episode? Pretty much explained all of Walters/Peters history and a hell of a lot else too if you did miss it. It wasn't particularly exciting but it was well done and the 1980's style retro credits were very cool indeed.

I absolutely loved that credit part. Lots of fun!
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Peven on Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:14 pm

had never watched this show before yesterday.....7 episodes later, thanks to hulu, i am pretty well hooked and looking forward to watching both seasons through in order. the last episode, "White Tulip", with Peter Weller was fucking great

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby John-Locke on Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:17 pm

This weeks was a particularly clever with the way it dealt with time, I wouldn't go expecting such consistent goodness from every episode Peven, there are some real bore fests, some very entertaining Monster of the Week episodes and nowhere near enough of the much better Mythology episodes.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Peven on Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:31 pm

i don't expect too much from any tv show anymore, comes from experience, and if a show does enough things right that click with me i am able to forgive other shortcomings. i actually like the slower pace, the character work, so far except that that Dunham's character irritates me really badly at times, lol. i love Noble's work here and as one of the Zone's resident old farts, who is also a father to 3 sons, i think that may help me to enjoy the slower parts of the show. i really have found myself not needing the action i always loved in shows/movies in the last couple years, still appreciate it but am more interested in quality than quantity, and i think it is directly related to my age, i guess i am mellowing

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby BuckyO'harre on Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:24 pm

The musical episode airs tonight.
I expect glorious insanity.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Jabbadonut on Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:21 pm

BuckyO'harre wrote:The musical episode airs tonight.

*spoiler*

There was a scene in last night's episode where I heard a sound, a really familiar sound, that being the sound of someone lighting and drawing on a bong, but I thought that couldn't be what it was, given this was a TV show. And what did I find when the camera went into the room with the sound? Walter taking a big hit on a bong! I was shocked, but pleased. I don't know if I've ever seen a network show depicting someone sucking on a bong before.
Jabbadonut
REAL DRAGON

Postby The Vicar on Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:40 pm

Joss Whedon did this sooo much better, although Agent Broyles has serious chops.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Peven on Sat May 01, 2010 10:03 am

i like this show more and more, Noble gives it such richness with his performance alone that it elevates everything else for me. Torv is the show's weakest link, but i think she is improving...I hope...when she is relaxed in a scene, not trying to put on that woman-in-a-man's-world aura, she is pretty good, but there are still too many times where she tries to come off as tough or strong but it doesn't feel natural, and there is an expression she uses...a lot, that i think she intends to convey tension or anger or stress, her eyebrows will be all furrowed and she has this quasi-grimace on her face, but instead looks like she has to take a shit real bad and is holding it in. i don't know, maybe she is supposed to seem a little...."off", uptight, and so she is just playing it the way she is told, since she showed in last night's episode in that one scene where she is in a t-shirt and jammies that she can play it more feminine and at ease. still, whatever minor problems I have with her performance this show has become one of my very favorites

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheBaxter on Mon May 03, 2010 9:05 am

Jabbadonut wrote:
BuckyO'harre wrote:The musical episode airs tonight.

*spoiler*

There was a scene in last night's episode where I heard a sound, a really familiar sound, that being the sound of someone lighting and drawing on a bong

now some of your other posts on this board are starting to make some sense :wink:
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Peven on Mon May 03, 2010 10:04 am

if I could only get my hands on some Brown Betty.....

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheBaxter on Tue May 18, 2010 3:58 pm

hasn't been much discussion of this show, but with LOST going away, i guess i'll need something new to waste valuable internet time talking about.
i think the show has been improving, even though it's still very x-filey, the mythology episodes are a bit more well-thought-out and hopefully headed towards something more cohesive than what x-files cobbled together. i like how peter's alt-universe kidnapping by walter is playing out.
the first half of the finale last week was pretty fun, i really enjoyed seeing the alternate universe versions of the characters and i think anna torv did a better job playing her alt-universe version than her regular character. it almost kind of makes me wish the show was about their alt-universe versions of their characters... at least i'd prefer the alt-universe dunham to her real-world counterpart
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Peven on Tue May 18, 2010 8:38 pm

you know, I was thinking they should have a spin-off show with that alternate reality team....why not, they do it with the Law&Order's and CSI's....Fringe:The Other Side

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheBaxter on Tue May 18, 2010 11:40 pm

and put it on hbo or showtime, so we can see alterna-dunham get frisky.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby John-Locke on Tue May 18, 2010 11:43 pm

She had a bit of a tumble in the hay in The Pacific, you didn't get to see her goodies but she did look mighty fine
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby MacCready on Tue May 18, 2010 11:45 pm

Torv makes a much better red head, but then what would you expect a Celt to think?
MacCready
MAN IN SUIT

Postby John-Locke on Tue May 18, 2010 11:47 pm

That she'd look better dipped in batter and deep fried?
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby MacCready on Tue May 18, 2010 11:54 pm

John-Locke wrote:That she'd look better dipped in batter and deep fried?

:D :D :D
MacCready
MAN IN SUIT

Postby MacCready on Thu May 20, 2010 11:39 pm

Not one post about the Fringe finale, and the last frame of Leonard Nimoy's career? I mean, shit, I missed it because my frakking DVD recorder FAILED, and I have to wait until tomorrow for it to post up on Fox's website....but no one? I thought Fringe was fairly well liked around here? Huh!
MacCready
MAN IN SUIT

Postby King Psyz on Fri May 21, 2010 2:42 am

Damn I loved it and the ending tore me apart in 20 directions... Will wait til more have seen it
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby stereosforgeeks on Fri May 21, 2010 7:53 am

King Psyz wrote:Damn I loved it and the ending tore me apart in 20 directions... Will wait til more have seen it

I loved it too! I wished we would get more of Bell-y!!!
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby TheBaxter on Fri May 21, 2010 8:41 am

best thing about the finale? now we have TWO redheaded dunhams.

if this indeed was nimoy's last acting job, he went out in style. i enjoyed the back and forth between him and walter, and wished we could've seen more of it on the show. also, was anyone else expecting, in his last scene, for bell to tell walter "i have been, and always shall be, your friend"?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Peven on Fri May 21, 2010 4:14 pm

now THAT is a season finale....

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby ONeillSG1 on Fri May 21, 2010 6:26 pm

Peven wrote:you know, I was thinking they should have a spin-off show with that alternate reality team....why not, they do it with the Law&Order's and CSI's....Fringe:The Other Side

Or better yet, someone in the talkbacks had the idea that, if the show gets into a lull, that they should destroy our reality and then flip the show by following the alternate reality's exploits. That would be nuts!
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby King Psyz on Sat May 22, 2010 12:11 pm

My girlfriend called the ending about 2 minutes beforehand and I was all NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Damn it, it's JJ Abrahms, so she's totally right but I dont want her to be... oh damn it she is.

And then the final frames... fuck

John Noble is seriously under rated, why hasn't he gotten 12 golden globes and emmys for his Walter yet?

Now I can't wait for next season.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby Jabbadonut on Sat May 22, 2010 7:03 pm

I am an alternate reality junkie, and love that aspect of Fringe. There was a show that kind of got swept under the rug a few years ago called "Sliders" that featured alternate Earth's, and there was an alternate Earth on the show "Otherworld," which I thought was really original and creative. It lasted maybe 8 or 10 episodes, I think. I loved "Sliders" too, especially Keri Wuhrer. She was absolutely the sexiest woman alive when she was making that show.

The possibilities are unlimited as to where Fringe can go. I just hope Abram's doesn't muck it up.
Jabbadonut
REAL DRAGON

Postby Ribbons on Sat May 22, 2010 9:48 pm

You mean the IMpossibilities. Eh? Eh?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby MacCready on Sat May 22, 2010 11:14 pm

It is kind of weird that Alt-Olivia does seem more interesting ( and sexier) than our Olivia. And their world holds many more possibilities. But jumping to that reality would be like TOS Star Trek switching into their mirror universe and carrying on from there. Then again, maybe they would have run for longer than three years.
MacCready
MAN IN SUIT

Postby John-Locke on Sun May 23, 2010 2:08 pm

I called the Olivia switch ending when it happened but it still doesn't make any sense, our world Olivia had the special power to open a crack between Universes so how in the hell did they all get back without her?
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby MacCready on Sun May 23, 2010 2:15 pm

William Bell did it. And the Olivia switch was fairly well telegraphed - we saw a shot of Alt-livia, getting the drop on Olivia, then cut to the interior of the theatre. Either it was a giant dangling plot thread, or somebody changed places. Alt-livia was saved the embarrassment of discovery when Bell volunteered to power the machine himself..... I think.
MacCready
MAN IN SUIT

Postby John-Locke on Sun May 23, 2010 3:00 pm

Well the way they set it up was so that Olivia was going to open a crack, the machine would keep it open and Bell would power the machine.

If you just needed to power the machine then Walternate wouldn't have had to have gone through so much to get over to our Universe.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby MacCready on Sun May 23, 2010 3:07 pm

The catch being that, in order for Bell to power the machine, he would die.
MacCready
MAN IN SUIT

Postby TheBaxter on Sun May 23, 2010 3:25 pm

yeah, i'm not sure i understand why they switched from having olivia open a crack that the machine would hold open, to having bell power the machine and die in the process. but once bell decided to power the machine (using his universe-travelling split-apart atoms or however they explained it) olivia wasn't needed to open the crack anymore.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Peven on Sun May 23, 2010 3:40 pm

something else i noticed, they first talked about Olivia opening the crack and using the machine as a "doorstop" to hold it open, but then later talked about the plan being using the machine to open the crack and Olivia to hold it open, as if that had been the plan from the start. i hate to nit pick a show/movie i like so i let it slide but it seemed to me like the writers/editors messed up on continuity there.

i also really don't see how Al-livia is going to maintain her cover for very long, not believably anyway. too many real differences between the two and info that she doesn't know that would "out" her as an imposter

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sun May 23, 2010 11:42 pm

My prediction is Ella will be the first to notice that her Aunt Liv is not right.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MacCready on Thu May 27, 2010 1:17 am

Who's going to notice the tat on her neck first? Peter is probably expecting a little frisky action after what happened in the ALTverse. I could see that ending badly for someone.
MacCready
MAN IN SUIT

Postby Ribbons on Thu May 27, 2010 3:18 am

Speaking of which, I'm a little disappointed that Peter and Olivia's relationship has taken a turn for the romantic. Maybe just because it subconsciously reminds me of The X-Files, but I liked it better when they had more of a brother-sister vibe.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheBaxter on Thu May 27, 2010 8:39 am

MacCready wrote:Who's going to notice the tat on her neck first? Peter is probably expecting a little frisky action after what happened in the ALTverse. I could see that ending badly for someone.

i think he'll realize it's ALTivia when she goes all buck-wild on him in bed. the real olivia would be a total cold fish.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby MacCready on Thu May 27, 2010 9:29 am

Ribbons wrote:Speaking of which, I'm a little disappointed that Peter and Olivia's relationship has taken a turn for the romantic. Maybe just because it subconsciously reminds me of The X-Files, but I liked it better when they had more of a brother-sister vibe.

Olivia now being a red head doesn't help that Xfiles vibe.
MacCready
MAN IN SUIT

Postby Nice Marmot on Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:38 pm

It's back on next week! NICE!!!

Here's hoping ALTvia got in some extra acting lessons during the hiatus. Man she was bad w/ that cocky smirk and strut.
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON

Postby Ribbons on Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:02 pm

Hey, everyone knows smirk + strut = evil. It's science!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Nice Marmot on Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:34 pm

Well blow me down! Is it me or did her acting improve? She was pretty damn good.

Of course we only saw good Olive and only a glimpse of Altvia at the end. And now good Olive is taking on Altvia's memories and skills via some alt-fringe science. And now my eyes are crossed . . .
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON

Postby swoop91 on Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:36 pm

Hope she stays red and wears more leather.

And I hope they kill off Tara.
swoop91
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby TheButcher on Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:47 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

PreviousNext

Return to Coaxial