FRINGE

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Re: J.J. Abrams' FRINGE

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:53 pm

Im on record: I OFFICALLY LOVE THIS SHOW! last weeks with the CHIMERA was nice.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby BuckyO'harre on Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:10 am

Shame they couldn't find something more exotic than mealworms to be the larvae.
Although I suppose the average person doesn't instantly recognize them as plain ol' lizard food.
Thank you, Zoners, for the kindness, tolerance, and enlightenment you've shared with me. It may not have been deserved, but it was greatly appreciated nonetheless. Soupy twist.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bastard_robo on Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:08 pm

BuckyO'harre wrote:Shame they couldn't find something more exotic than mealworms to be the larvae.
Although I suppose the average person doesn't instantly recognize them as plain ol' lizard food.

I did feel that was a cop out, seeing that from what was explained, there was very little INSECT in the dna, it was more mammal and reptile.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby swoop91 on Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:08 pm

One of best episodes so far. Walter, he doesn't know anything, or does he? ;)
swoop91
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby BuckyO'harre on Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:14 pm

I can't wait to see Nimoy and Noble in action together.
Thank you, Zoners, for the kindness, tolerance, and enlightenment you've shared with me. It may not have been deserved, but it was greatly appreciated nonetheless. Soupy twist.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:18 pm

That episode was entirely awesome, but I do have a question. Did they have another episode that mentioned Olivia finding she had taken that drug?
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby John-Locke on Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:16 pm

Not exactly but there was something she found out about herself after Teleportation man had her kidnapped and tried to have a spinal fluid sample taken, it might have been the episode after but she found out she was on the Army base where they did some weird test at the time or something.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby TonyWilson on Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:43 am

After Olivia turned out the lights to defuse the bomb a few episodes back, at home she got a call from Nina Sharp saying the Cortexifan drug had been tested in Jacksonville by William Bell where previously Sharp thought the tests had been limited to just one or two other places.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:56 pm

Man I don't remember that at all. Anyway, stellar episode. Anyone notice it was written by dark herald Akiva Goldsmen? Or however you spell his name.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu May 07, 2009 12:05 am

My DVR cut off right when The Days and Nights of Molly Dodd walked into the elevator. Can anyone fill me in on what happened next? Thanks.

Superb episode, btw. I really felt Walter's breakdown when Liv confronted him about the experiments on her. So glad this show has been picked up for another season.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby RogueScribner on Thu May 07, 2009 12:15 am

I'm not trolling, but asking an honest question.

I stopped watching Fringe not because it wasn't well written or interesting on some level, but mostly because I think Anna Torv is a black hole of charisma. The show ceases to be entertaining whenever she's on screen. Could someone who gets where I'm coming from tell me if she improves at all or if the rest of the show makes it not matter? I just can't fathom watching a "good show" with a boring lead, no matter how good it is.

Honestly, if anyone else were in the lead I'd probably still be watching.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby BuckyO'harre on Thu May 07, 2009 1:34 am

I can't really say one way or the other if she's improved since it's never been a problem for me. I think her subdued portrayal fits the character. I also like the fact that she isn't some fox in FBI garb, or a butch caricature of overcompensation.

She's no Gillian Anderson, I'll grant you...

However, I think you should definately give some recent episodes a try regardless.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu May 07, 2009 2:11 am

Yeah... still don't know what happened after Molly Dodd got in the elevator.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby BuckyO'harre on Thu May 07, 2009 2:33 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:Yeah... still don't know what happened after Molly Dodd got in the elevator.

Oops, sorry burl.
Two masked guys were waiting for her as she stepped out of the door, and one shot her with a silenced gun.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu May 07, 2009 3:38 am

Thanks.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby John-Locke on Thu May 07, 2009 7:19 am

I agree Burl, this weeks episode was pretty damn good. The whole thing with Joshua Jackson having just invented something to help them solve the case was trite but this show doesn't take itself too seriously and that a part of it's charm, plus the audio thing was actually kinda creepy.

RogueScribner wrote:Could someone who gets where I'm coming from tell me if she improves at all or if the rest of the show makes it not matter? I

I think it's a bit of both, I think her character improved with the introduction of her hotter sister and she's showing more range now but she still has short comings which the rest of the cast more than make up for. I honestly just wish she'd change her hair style, most unfeminine hair ever! She reminds me of the drippy kid from Dazed & Confused.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby RogueScribner on Thu May 07, 2009 9:55 am

Yeah, I don't really care about her attractiveness so much as her acting. She's just so monotonous. She always seems like she's play acting instead of just being the character. She doesn't seem naturalistic at all. And there's no spark to her, either. It's like she's a gray character in a technicolor world. I spent weeks trying to ignore it but it was seriously affecting my enjoyment of the show. Over the summer I'll try to give it another shot. Maybe the eps will get so good I won't care if the lead actress sucks or not.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby TheBaxter on Thu May 07, 2009 10:09 am

yeah, i never had a problem with her either so i can't say whether she's gotten better or not.
i agree she could benefit from a decent hairdresser though.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Jakester on Thu May 07, 2009 1:02 pm

I see where you're coming from with Olivia's character, but I don't have a problem with it.
The show has grown on me, but it definitely is uneven. The pilot episode was pretty bad, and the one with the giant mutant cold virus completely ignored high school biology to make those things big, scary, and mobile. I've also found some of Walter's wacky dialogue to be entirely too forced. However, when the show is good, it's pretty damn good.
Jakester
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby TheBaxter on Thu May 07, 2009 1:12 pm

i'm kinda iffy on the show too. it's improved, but still feels like the bastard lovechild of X-Files and Lost, but not as good as either of those.
however, the news that nimoy was cast as william bell has me excited... hearing his voice on that VHS tape a couple episodes ago was a cool tease
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Hermanator X on Fri May 08, 2009 7:56 am

Same here, its got its good moments, and some awful ones, but there is enough to keep me hooked for the time being.
It has definately improved, but maybe thats down to it finding its tone. I really couldnt stand Olivia at first, but she does seem to have improved a little lately. At least the bland and monotone behaviour could be down to being part of drug trials as a kid. I say replace her with Donna from "that 70's show" who i find quite hot. :wink:

Some of the monster of the week, and the tidy convenient wraps up bug me, but I think I started out taking the show more seriously than it takes itself.
Its not great, but it is interesting enough to be watchable.

I did like the nod to A.C. Clarke with "Childhoods End" being in the firestarters bookshelf. Some of the themes of that book seem to be an influence on the show. Also, thats one movie I would like to see done well. I have a BBC radio play of the story, and havent read the book (I will one day), but its an awesome sci-fi tale.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed May 13, 2009 1:51 am

Well that was a real nail-biter of a finale, and one of the rare cliff-hangers that doesn't end on a note of assumed tragedy. That last image took my breath away. Oh and last week I started to feel something was off with Peter and Walter, and within moments of this episode I figured out what is was. Brilliant plot point... makes me wonder if alterna-walt is going to come to retrieve his boy. Very interesting.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Gerald Fried on Wed May 13, 2009 4:53 am

I gave up on this after the first few episodes and couldn't be bothered to keep downloading it. But I'm increasingly being told by people who stayed the course that it actually ended up being quite good.

I couldn't be bothered with another plot-arcing series (I know the creators say it's not meant to be, but it clearly was setting up that way).

I'm thinking I'll probably end up buying the season on DVD and watching the whole thing in one go.
Gerald Fried
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed May 13, 2009 10:04 am

Great. Thanks for dropping in!
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed May 13, 2009 10:48 am

This has developed into a pretty damn good show. Loved the last shot and the elevator ride. It left me wanting next season right away to see how they develop the plot points theyve been dropping hints about the entire first season.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Jakester on Wed May 13, 2009 11:35 am

The finale was pretty strong. The revelation about Peter wasn't a big surprise, but it does open a lot of interesting character development and friction between Walter and Peter.

Also, do all of the soft places open to the same alternate dimension, or are many of them accessible from different places?

A big deal was made about how difficult it is to travel between dimensions. Bell appears to have it down to an elevator ride. THAT was a real WTF moment.
Jakester
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby King Psyz on Wed May 13, 2009 5:00 pm

well he is William Bell after all...
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby ManaByte on Wed May 13, 2009 8:37 pm

Last night was the first episode I ever watched.

And I will definitely be getting the S1 DVD release and watching Season 2 now.
ManaByte
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby PRbuick on Wed May 13, 2009 9:44 pm

JJ Abrams has said before he's a big fan of Stephen King and, of course, he's supposed to helm the Dark Tower eventually, so it's no surprise that his show has multiple universes, strange looking interlopers from said universes (similar to the Low Men) and "thin" places where the boundaries are breaking down. Too funny.
PRbuick
GLIB

Postby King Psyz on Thu May 14, 2009 2:12 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:Well that was a real nail-biter of a finale, and one of the rare cliff-hangers that doesn't end on a note of assumed tragedy. That last image took my breath away. Oh and last week I started to feel something was off with Peter and Walter, and within moments of this episode I figured out what is was. Brilliant plot point... makes me wonder if alterna-walt is going to come to retrieve his boy. Very interesting.

Peter inadvertantly hinted that other Walter was "bigger" during the pancake monolouge too...
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby DerLanghaarige on Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:28 am

Saw the episode that was written/directed by Akiva Goldsman yesterday. My head almost exploded from the fact that something written by that guy was THAT good! (I wonder how many staff writers "helped" him.) And he turned out to be a surprisingly good director!
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby so sorry on Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:33 am

Speaking of Fringe...

I was watching the Baseball All-star game last week (on Fox), and they did like a 2 minute Fringe promo. I've never seen a minute of this show, but I got real jazzed when I saw the promo.

Half an hour later, during the fucking game, they cut to the stands in the stadium, and front and center is that fucking bald guy from the show, staring straight ahead at me. For like a good 5 seconds before they cut back to the game.

Fuck that. That kind of marketing pissed me the hell off. Knock me out with commericals, online ads, printed promos etc, but stay the hell out of the CONTENT that I am watching.

Assholes.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby DerLanghaarige on Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:46 am

I don't know, I think that putting The Observer into real life events (it was not the first time that they did it) is one of the most creative ad campaigns of the last years. It makes me smile whenever I hear of it. :D
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby so sorry on Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:02 am

DerLanghaarige wrote:I don't know, I think that putting The Observer into real life events (it was not the first time that they did it) is one of the most creative ad campaigns of the last years. It makes me smile whenever I hear of it. :D

I keep wating for him to show up in a Family Guy episode, only they have him onscreen for like 2 minutes straight, nobody talking or anything. Just the bald guy, in cartoon form, staring at you.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby DerLanghaarige on Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:13 am

But like with every other celebrity (let's say that he is a celebrity) on Family Guy, they have to let someone shout: "Look, it's The Observer from Fringe" first, because it will be highly unlikely that his cartoon version looks anything like him.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:44 pm

Watched the season premier last night. Really good stuff on par with what we were seeing at the end of last season. Though the kiss between Broyles and Molly Dodd was creepy.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:00 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:Watched the season premier last night. Really good stuff on par with what we were seeing at the end of last season. Though the kiss between Broyles and Molly Dodd was creepy.

Really liked the first episode back as well. Was interesting to see that she really left the our side well before the office building where Bell was.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:27 pm

I guess that makes sense. I didn't figure that out, so thanks.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:22 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:I guess that makes sense. I didn't figure that out, so thanks.

Yeah in the last episode of season 1 she nearly misses having an accident and goes to see Bell. Come to find out that narrow miss wasnt a miss at all in this universe! I thought that was a wonderful little touch.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:46 am

i just watched eps 1 and 2 last night. i'm not sure what to think of that scene in ep1 where the new fbi agent chick looks like she's comparing fringe cases to stuff in the bible. is this show going to go in a revelations/doomsday direction with this stuff? started off as an x-files clone, turned into a millennium clone? not sure if that's a good idea. there was also a scene where the fbi chick was checking out the farmer dude's bible.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TonyWilson on Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:13 am

TheBaxter wrote:i just watched eps 1 and 2 last night. i'm not sure what to think of that scene in ep1 where the new fbi agent chick looks like she's comparing fringe cases to stuff in the bible. is this show going to go in a revelations/doomsday direction with this stuff? started off as an x-files clone, turned into a millennium clone? not sure if that's a good idea. there was also a scene where the fbi chick was checking out the farmer dude's bible.

Not seen ep 2 yet but I thought that too especially as Herc has previously erroneously reported the episode titles and they were all phrases from Revelation, but I don't think so now we know the genuine episode titles.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:19 am

TonyWilson wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:i just watched eps 1 and 2 last night. i'm not sure what to think of that scene in ep1 where the new fbi agent chick looks like she's comparing fringe cases to stuff in the bible. is this show going to go in a revelations/doomsday direction with this stuff? started off as an x-files clone, turned into a millennium clone? not sure if that's a good idea. there was also a scene where the fbi chick was checking out the farmer dude's bible.

Not seen ep 2 yet but I thought that too especially as Herc has previously erroneously reported the episode titles and they were all phrases from Revelation, but I don't think so now we know the genuine episode titles.

they were actually names attached to those fringe cases that she was comparing to passages in the bible. maybe that fbi chick is actually some end-of-the-world religious cultist who infiltrated the fringe division to find evidence for the end of the world.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TonyWilson on Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:32 am

Walter is God and Peter is Jesus who died and rose again!!! :shock:
TonyWilson

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:04 pm

does that make the cow John the Apostle?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby stereosforgeeks on Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:44 pm

TheBaxter wrote:does that make the cow John the Apostle?

Are we the flock?!?
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Hermanator X on Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:41 pm

Just caught the first 2 eps, and it seems to be off to a decent start.
The first ep mainly because Dunham wasnt in it so much, and she still grates on me a bit.

I started the first season semi interested in the premise, then watching it seemed to be a bit of a chore, but it picked up towards the end. The "just in time" breaks in the investigations bug me as they make it seem a bit too much like CSI, but I do like the overall story, and it seems to be heading in interesting directions. Its a curious blend of brain on and brain off tv.

I thought the "nod and a wink" to the x-files was pretty cool in the first ep.

In spoiler text so i dont ruin it for anyone.
In the hearing where the fbi bigwigs want to shut fringe down, they compare it to the previous x-department that got no answers either.

Plus it was strange to see luke goss without any prosthetics on. Im quite surprised his superfan hasnt been on here raving about it in the luke goss thread.....
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby DarfurOnTheRocks on Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:28 pm

Is Fringe and X-Dept in the same universe?

If so, the Fringe dept could the the validation that certain believers need....
DarfurOnTheRocks
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:15 pm

I dunno. They share similar premises, but there is a big difference. Occasionally X-Files would investigate fringe science, but it was mostly about the paranormal. Fringe seems to deal strictly in icky evil super science.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby DarfurOnTheRocks on Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:20 pm

I am hoping that eventually we will have Mulder/Scully crossover!

X-Files also dealt with aliens, so it would be interesting to see the possibilities.
DarfurOnTheRocks
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:17 pm

Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

PreviousNext

Return to Coaxial