David Simon's GENERATION KILL

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Re: David Simon's GENERATION KILL

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:25 am

anthonymous wrote:sheesh, the way this place restricts conversational flow so adherently never ceases to amaze me...

I know, I know - if I don't like it I can go elsewhere, right?



Also, up to ep 3 and really liking (yet not quite loving) it so far.


the point is to talk about the show. Its authenticity is certainly a fair point of debate. The discussion's sidetrack between angie and Pev was not. There are other forums to talk about that stuff. hell, there are places here to talk about that stuff. We try to keep things on topic because these types of issues will take over the thread forever until nobody wants to talk about the show anymore. So yeah, it's as simple as that.

I'm through ep 5 and watching ep 6 tonight. The show gets better each episode. The character development is nice (not on par with band of brothers (papa you are a fool) but close). The action has been extremely solid, particularly starting with episode 4 or so. It feels authentic (to the admittedly untrained eye, but I'm really glad Angie weighed in on that).

My one beef is that Captain America and the other leader guy (the incompetent one, you know who i am talking about) are stupid to the point of parody. Particularly Captain America. Now this is supposed to be based on real people. It may be that Captain America, IRL, was really that insane and mind numbingly stupid, I don't know. I'm having trouble buying it, but maybe that's just my naivete showing when it comes to the quality of people in military "middle management" as it were...

All in all, though, fucking aces. Really enjoying this.
Image
User avatar
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked
 
Posts: 17641
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:18 pm
Location: Pasture next to the Red Barn

Re: David Simon's GENERATION KILL

Postby Peven on Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:43 am

i just want it to be noticed that i had no problem with the redirection. i wasn't complaining at all. :D :wink:
Image

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?
 
Posts: 14678
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:45 am
Location: Group W bench

Re: David Simon's GENERATION KILL

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:39 am

Lord Voldemoo wrote:I'm through ep 5 and watching ep 6 tonight. The show gets better each episode. The character development is nice (not on par with band of brothers (papa you are a fool) but close). The action has been extremely solid, particularly starting with episode 4 or so. It feels authentic (to the admittedly untrained eye, but I'm really glad Angie weighed in on that).

My one beef is that Captain America and the other leader guy (the incompetent one, you know who i am talking about) are stupid to the point of parody. Particularly Captain America. Now this is supposed to be based on real people. It may be that Captain America, IRL, was really that insane and mind numbingly stupid, I don't know. I'm having trouble buying it, but maybe that's just my naivete showing when it comes to the quality of people in military "middle management" as it were...

All in all, though, fucking aces. Really enjoying this.


These characters werent written to have "arcs" rather just to be portrayed as realistically as possible. The character development is only really seen in the things they say. Sometimes they'll say things that will give you a hint about who they are etc... but really they just want to throw you into the thick of it with these men and make you see what its like to be there.

Band Of Brothers goal was totally different. More big budget cinema-y less documentary feel.

I love them both, however.
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Re: David Simon's GENERATION KILL

Postby theangiechrist on Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:45 pm

My one beef is that Captain America and the other leader guy (the incompetent one, you know who i am talking about) are stupid to the point of parody. Particularly Captain America. Now this is supposed to be based on real people. It may be that Captain America, IRL, was really that insane and mind numbingly stupid, I don't know. I'm having trouble buying it, but maybe that's just my naivete showing when it comes to the quality of people in military "middle management" as it were...


You have no idea how realistic these guys in partcular are. There's a reason for steroetypes, is all I'm sayin lol

And I agree on the Band of Brothers view.
theangiechrist
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE
 
Posts: 393
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:09 am
Location: Lost Vegas

Re: David Simon's GENERATION KILL

Postby theangiechrist on Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:14 am

"Malingering spreads like a yeast infecton"

Brilliant lol
theangiechrist
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE
 
Posts: 393
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:09 am
Location: Lost Vegas

Re: David Simon's GENERATION KILL

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:11 am

Been watching this OnDemand but for some reason episode 5 is not available. The others are, but no 5. Anybody else have this problem?
Image
User avatar
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 3955
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:33 am
Location: Northern Frontier

Re: David Simon's GENERATION KILL

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:22 am

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:Been watching this OnDemand but for some reason episode 5 is not available. The others are, but no 5. Anybody else have this problem?


My friend just watched all 6 aired episodes this week onDemand after my pestering.
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Re: David Simon's GENERATION KILL

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:02 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:Been watching this OnDemand but for some reason episode 5 is not available. The others are, but no 5. Anybody else have this problem?


My friend just watched all 6 aired episodes this week onDemand after my pestering.


Yup I've been watching OnDemand as well, and I have all 6 eps.

That sucks, Tyrone. Call your cable company!!
Image
User avatar
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked
 
Posts: 17641
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:18 pm
Location: Pasture next to the Red Barn

Re: David Simon's GENERATION KILL

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:41 pm

Those sonsabitches! Another example of how Charter sucks dogs in the park for coupons. At first I thought maybe ep 5 was just mislabeled as 6. Nope, when I saw the recap of the previous episode I was pissed because it was all stuff I hadn't seen. So, yeah, I've seen every episode but 5. *points at Charter* Assholes!
Image
User avatar
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 3955
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:33 am
Location: Northern Frontier

Re: David Simon's GENERATION KILL

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:17 pm

Man what a f'n awesome ending.

more thoughts tomorrow.
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Re: David Simon's GENERATION KILL

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:28 pm

So that's the end and what was gained? Iraqi Freedom? Yeah well we all know how thats workign out. All they did was ask questions, look important, and leave. The Iraqis were thirsty, hungry, and tired from being terrorized by looters but Fick and the rest of the men could do nothing. Depressing.

Let's talk about Ray, who was one of my favorite character, he'd been quiet since he stopped taking Ripped Fuel tabs like candy. He had always been an outcast and people like Rudy had been tormenting him since high school. He had been an equal for a time but once they started competing with eachother it all came pouring back. Everything he hated about people like Rudy and what they had done to him and other came out. It was a very real moment.

The end with Lilly's video was great. Brad didnt even watch it seemed he doesnt need to be reminded of the stuff theyve done or not done as the case may as well be. The other guys though started off hottin and hollaring at all the destruction but slowly each one realized just how fd up everything theyd seen was. All that bloodshed and nothing to really show for it.

Wrights dscussion with The Godfather at the end was both infuriating and truthful. You got the real sense he did care for his men but when he called out Fick Wright got angry as Fick was the only one with any sort of power that was trying to use his intelligence. Consider your sources. Always good advice when someone gives you information.

Other cool moments:
Wright's "serpentine motion"
The "light" Iraqi hitting on Garza
Espera talking about his family
Colbert disarming the bombs
Cpt. America actually sending men into a mine field at night
Ferrando saying getting shot at excites him.
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Re: David Simon's GENERATION KILL

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:09 pm

Still have to see eps 5 and 7 but I was looking through some archives yesterday and discovered I still have the "Rolling Stone" issues that this story originally appeared in.
Image
User avatar
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 3955
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:33 am
Location: Northern Frontier

Re: David Simon's GENERATION KILL

Postby Fievel on Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:52 pm

This show was awesome.

I hope to post additional comments later.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
User avatar
Fievel
Mouse Of The House
 
Posts: 12148
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:07 pm
Location: White Lake, MI

Re: David Simon's GENERATION KILL

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:22 pm

That was an amazing series. The first episode of this show I pretty much hated all the characters. I still hate most of them, but Brad and Ray grew on me. I thought maybe it was because those are the characters the reporter spend the most time with, so they'd be more fleshed out than anyone, but I still think Trombly's a psycho. Rudy was a total dick for steam rolling Ray like that. Rudy was supposed to be Ray's friend, he was supposed to be all cultured and above male machismo. Then when it came time for him to just play a friendly game of football, dude proves himself to be just another jock trying to assert his superiority over a weaker person.
Image
User avatar
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood
 
Posts: 3682
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:28 am

Re: David Simon's GENERATION KILL

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:15 pm

Retardo_Montalban wrote:That was an amazing series. The first episode of this show I pretty much hated all the characters. I still hate most of them, but Brad and Ray grew on me. I thought maybe it was because those are the characters the reporter spend the most time with, so they'd be more fleshed out than anyone, but I still think Trombly's a psycho. Rudy was a total dick for steam rolling Ray like that. Rudy was supposed to be Ray's friend, he was supposed to be all cultured and above male machismo. Then when it came time for him to just play a friendly game of football, dude proves himself to be just another jock trying to assert his superiority over a weaker person.


Trombley is a psycho. He was the only one left watching all the shit at the end of the movie. These people do exist though.

Brad, Ray, Garza, Fick, these are the people i grew to care about because you saw their real reactions to the stuff they are seeing. How they are fucking shit up. And what it actually means for them to be their. They feel so real.

The other characters do too despite some being assholes, psychos, etc... but those are the ones that i grew attached to over the series.
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Re: David Simon's GENERATION KILL

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:20 am

It was extra creepy that Trombly watched the video even longer than the dude who shot and edited the thing.
Image
User avatar
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood
 
Posts: 3682
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:28 am

Re: David Simon's GENERATION KILL

Postby Fievel on Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:39 am

Retardo_Montalban wrote:Rudy was a total dick for steam rolling Ray like that. Rudy was supposed to be Ray's friend, he was supposed to be all cultured and above male machismo. Then when it came time for him to just play a friendly game of football, dude proves himself to be just another jock trying to assert his superiority over a weaker person.


But if you noticed, he and Ray had a quick little moment when they watched the movie. All was well in the end.
That ending was awesome. The simple fact that it was more than they really wanted to watch after having lived it.
...except Trombley.

A little extra Commentary On Generation Kill. - This is regarding the book, but it's interesting to see the author reply at the end of the comments.

I have the book.
I must read it now.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
User avatar
Fievel
Mouse Of The House
 
Posts: 12148
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:07 pm
Location: White Lake, MI

Re: David Simon's GENERATION KILL

Postby John-Locke on Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:51 pm

It's hard to believe TV can be this good.

BEST.MINISERIES.EVER
Image
User avatar
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER
 
Posts: 12365
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:49 am
Location: Unknown

Re: David Simon's GENERATION KILL

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:15 pm

Fievel wrote:
Retardo_Montalban wrote:Rudy was a total dick for steam rolling Ray like that. Rudy was supposed to be Ray's friend, he was supposed to be all cultured and above male machismo. Then when it came time for him to just play a friendly game of football, dude proves himself to be just another jock trying to assert his superiority over a weaker person.


But if you noticed, he and Ray had a quick little moment when they watched the movie. All was well in the end.
That ending was awesome. The simple fact that it was more than they really wanted to watch after having lived it.
...except Trombley.

A little extra Commentary On Generation Kill. - This is regarding the book, but it's interesting to see the author reply at the end of the comments.

I have the book.
I must read it now.


Thanks for that commentary on the book. Really enlightening.
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Re: David Simon's GENERATION KILL

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:15 pm

Finally got to see part 5. It was interesting to see the Al Muwaffaquiyah bridge scene in light of Lt. Col. Shoup's comments linked above. I don't think he was named in the scene but it didn't play to me as him being "effectively in command." It looked to me that by taking the radio he allowed Capt. Schwetje to focus on the situation and clearly make decisions, which I believe to be Wright's interpretation. Yes, five years later you can argue dramatic license in a filmed re-enactment but I don't think anyone's character was disparaged by it.
Image
User avatar
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 3955
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:33 am
Location: Northern Frontier

Re: David Simon's GENERATION KILL

Postby anthonymous on Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:19 pm

I think Simon changed that scene a bit Tyrone, for dramatic purposes.

The guy that took the radio was a previously established character and superior officer: Maj. Todd Eckloff (SP?) I believe, Godfather's right-hand man. From what I can tell, Shoup didn't feature in the show at all.
whatever trevor.
anthonymous
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD
 
Posts: 109
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:04 am
Location: Manchester, UK

Re: David Simon's GENERATION KILL

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:14 pm

John-Locke wrote:It's hard to believe TV can be this good.

BEST.MINISERIES.EVER

Absolutely, whole-heartedly, seconded.

Godamnit it is good. Watched the whole thing today in one go. Right up there with Band of Brothers.
User avatar
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 13930
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:28 pm
Location: ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

Re: David Simon's GENERATION KILL

Postby Maui on Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:29 pm

You gotta respect the pajama.

Excellent miniseries on the first 40 days of the Iraq war, as seen from the Marine's first Recon Battalion. Not to undervalue The Hurt Locker, which is a fantastic film, but Generation Kill is far superior as it delves more into the politics of war. Apparently the script is faithful to Evan Wright’s account :shock: which I find very disturbing. These guys had no clue what to do, what was going on and were constantly getting wrong instruction from their superiors.

I usually bypass these types of shows but certainly glad I gave this one a go.
User avatar
Maui
WoWie
 
Posts: 7608
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 10:19 pm

Re: David Simon's GENERATION KILL

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:58 pm

Glad you liked this Maui. now you just have to give David Simons other series a go ;)!
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Re: David Simon's GENERATION KILL

Postby Maui on Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:42 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:Glad you liked this Maui. now you just have to give David Simons other series a go ;)!


Yup, The Wire is next on my list.
User avatar
Maui
WoWie
 
Posts: 7608
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 10:19 pm

Re: David Simon's GENERATION KILL

Postby stereosforgeeks on Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:07 pm

Don't forget The Corner at some point too!
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Re: David Simon's GENERATION KILL

Postby Maui on Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:17 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:Don't forget The Corner at some point too!


Oh yeah, forgot about that one. Mercy buckets!
User avatar
Maui
WoWie
 
Posts: 7608
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 10:19 pm

Re: David Simon's GENERATION KILL

Postby Fievel on Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:47 pm

Not sure if you knew or not, Maui, but Sgt. Rudy Reyes was played by..... Sgt. Rudy Reyes.
How's that for realistic casting?!?

And The Corner was awesome.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
User avatar
Fievel
Mouse Of The House
 
Posts: 12148
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:07 pm
Location: White Lake, MI

Re: David Simon's GENERATION KILL

Postby Maui on Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:04 pm

Fievel wrote:Not sure if you knew or not, Maui, but Sgt. Rudy Reyes was played by..... Sgt. Rudy Reyes.
How's that for realistic casting?!?

And The Corner was awesome.


You mean this guy? Hah, I did not know. Very interesting. :shock:

Just for kicks and giggles, here's the real Iceman, standing next to Skarsgard.

Good to know both you and SFG liked The Corner, I'll be checking it out at some point.
User avatar
Maui
WoWie
 
Posts: 7608
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 10:19 pm

Re: David Simon's GENERATION KILL

Postby Fievel on Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:08 pm

Maui wrote:You mean this guy?


Gross.

Nobody loves Rudy like Rudy does.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
User avatar
Fievel
Mouse Of The House
 
Posts: 12148
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:07 pm
Location: White Lake, MI

Re: David Simon's GENERATION KILL

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:43 pm

Maui wrote:
Fievel wrote:Not sure if you knew or not, Maui, but Sgt. Rudy Reyes was played by..... Sgt. Rudy Reyes.
How's that for realistic casting?!?

And The Corner was awesome.


You mean this guy? Hah, I did not know. Very interesting. :shock:

Just for kicks and giggles, here's the real Iceman, standing next to Skarsgard.

Good to know both you and SFG liked The Corner, I'll be checking it out at some point.


The Corner is some hard viewing though. It will put you through the ringer but so worth it.
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Re: David Simon's GENERATION KILL

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:14 pm

I've rewatched the series this week. Tis rather good viewing.
User avatar
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 13930
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:28 pm
Location: ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

Re: David Simon's GENERATION KILL

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:48 pm

Fried Gold wrote:I've rewatched the series this week. Tis rather good viewing.


It's funny, I was just thinking last night that I need to rewatch this soon. I'm going to this week, I think.

Fantastic show. Probably my second favorite HBO war mini, a little behind BoB (but I worship that mini) and ahead of The Pacific.
Image
User avatar
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked
 
Posts: 17641
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:18 pm
Location: Pasture next to the Red Barn

Re: David Simon's GENERATION KILL

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:51 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:I've rewatched the series this week. Tis rather good viewing.


It's funny, I was just thinking last night that I need to rewatch this soon. I'm going to this week, I think.

Fantastic show. Probably my second favorite HBO war mini, a little behind BoB (but I worship that mini) and ahead of The Pacific.

Yeah, I've just started Band of Brothers too.
User avatar
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 13930
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:28 pm
Location: ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

Re: David Simon's GENERATION KILL

Postby Ribbons on Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:36 pm

John-Locke wrote:I'm loving the guy who only seems to care about personal grooming standards


I LOVE YOU FRUITY RUDY!!!
User avatar
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG
 
Posts: 13969
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:00 am

Previous

Return to Coaxial

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron