True Blood (Now w/ 100% More e!)

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

True Blood (Now w/ 100% More e!)

Postby Fievel on Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:19 pm

Alan Ball's (Six Feet Under, American Beauty) new series "Tru Blood" is set to debut on September 7 on HBO.

Here's Wikipedia's description:

Tru Blood is an American television series based on the Southern Vampire Mysteries books by Charlaine Harris and adapted for television by Alan Ball. The series is produced by HBO in association with Ball's own production company, Your Face Goes Here Entertainment.

The show details the fictional co-existence of vampires and humans in a small Louisiana town after Japanese-made synthetic blood becomes available for purchase. Anna Paquin stars as Sookie Stackhouse, a telepathic waitress at a diner who falls in love with one of the vampires, Bill Compton (portrayed by Stephen Moyer), integrated into her society.

I know nothing of the books it was based on, but this looks good. HBO desperately needs another hit after botching up their quality shows the past few years.

Oh, and it has William Sanderson (Deadwood, Newhart), so it HAS to be good.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Re: Tru Blood - New HBO Series

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:33 pm

Yeah, I saw a short promo for this the other day and it looked interesting. I'll see if I can find a link when I get home this evening.

I have no idea about the books either? Anyone else read them?
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:51 pm

Ive been wanting this to premiere for a long while now! Any idea when it should be headed to the airwaves?
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:25 pm

Fievel wrote:Alan Ball's (Six Feet Under, American Beauty) new series "Tru Blood" is set to debut on September 7 on HBO.

so not the "airwaves" so much as the premium cable-waves...but there ya go.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:26 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:
Fievel wrote:Alan Ball's (Six Feet Under, American Beauty) new series "Tru Blood" is set to debut on September 7 on HBO.

Thanks your cowness.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:28 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
Lord Voldemoo wrote:

Thanks your cowness.

I would expect maybe a panel or some additional info at the Con this year. If so, I'll try to hit it and report back. Despite its issues over the past few years, I still love and trust HBO...
Lord Voldemoo

Postby Fievel on Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:41 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:Despite its issues over the past few years, I still love and trust HBO...

Me too.
I'll always be HBO's battered wife that always loves it and comes back.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:25 am

Fievel wrote:
Lord Voldemoo wrote:Despite its issues over the past few years, I still love and trust HBO...

Me too.
I'll always be HBO's battered wife that always loves it and comes back.

"He can change! He loves me!"
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:56 am

Holy shit, I swear I saw a movie starring David Carradine with this premise 15 years ago. It was about this town of vampires who drink artificial blood and they hire this human and his family to maintain the blood making machine. The twist of the story comes when a young upstart vampire decides he doesn't want to drink fake blood anymore, so he starts stalking the humans. The good vampires try and stop this new guy and his gang, but the upstart makes a bunch of bullets out of wood and owns all the good vampires. In the end, the humans make a giant cross and kill the bad vampires, but the good vampires are spared by the cross, because GOD has forgiven them. David Carradine plays the mayor, I think.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Fievel on Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:28 pm

A workprint of the pilot has been leaked on them internets.
It's missing scenes and the ending seems to come rather abruptly, so I'd avoid it...

....if I hadn't already watched it.

It was good. I was hooked by the end of the intro before the opening credits.
Is it the best thing to hit HBO? Hardly.
But it's still better than most of the crap on Network television.

Anna Paquin makes a good blonde.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:09 pm

I just finished watching this as well. Alan Ball didnt hit this one out of the park like the SFU pilot but it's definitely solid and fit's on HBO's line-up. Youve got tits, death, violence, some dark themes, etc... I'll definitely be watching when it premieres.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby TonyWilson on Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:51 pm

Anna Paquin's tits?
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Fievel on Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:58 pm

TonyWilson wrote:Anna Paquin's tits?

Sigh.
No.
But her diastema is shown almost exclusively.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:00 pm

hoping at some point =p
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:47 am

Fievel wrote:

Sigh.
No.
But her diastema is shown almost exclusively.

I knew she was a dirty girl.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:06 am

stereosforgeeks wrote:

hoping at some point =p

somebody oughta pass a law.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:20 am

Fievel wrote:A workprint of the pilot has been leaked on them internets.
It's missing scenes and the ending seems to come rather abruptly, so I'd avoid it...

....if I hadn't already watched it.

It was good. I was hooked by the end of the intro before the opening credits.
Is it the best thing to hit HBO? Hardly.
But it's still better than most of the crap on Network television.

Anna Paquin makes a good blonde.

While it's not perfect, there's definitely something about it that was captivating.

And not just Anna Paquin's "prominence" in the pilot, although that was good too. (...her friend was a farkin annoying though, even if meant to be.)

The concept that vampires have been fully outed, synthablood is on sale...and combined with the odd characters of Eerie, Louisiana...isn't something I'm aware of.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:30 am

Fried Gold wrote:The concept that vampires have been fully outed, synthablood is on sale...and combined with the odd characters of Eerie, Louisiana...isn't something I'm aware of.

I think there was some soap that did something simliar, but im not 100% on the exact concept.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby DanielSan on Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:15 pm

Yeah, me too. Hell, I think this series just postponed me canceling HBO. At least for the time being...
DanielSan
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby minstrel on Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:19 pm

DanielSan wrote:

Yeah, me too. Hell, I think this series just postponed me canceling HBO. At least for the time being...

Why would anyone even contemplate cancelling HBO?
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:41 pm

minstrel wrote:
DanielSan wrote:

Why would anyone even contemplate cancelling HBO?

this and Bill Maher are pretty much my only reasons for keeping it. i can get all the movies i need from netflix.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby DanielSan on Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:54 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
minstrel wrote:Why would anyone even contemplate cancelling HBO?

this and Bill Maher are pretty much my only reasons for keeping it. i can get all the movies i need from netflix.

Exactly. Since Carnivale never came back for a third season, no HBO series really overwhelmed me. Not even the Sopranos. (I know, I know.) I enjoyed John from Cincinnati, Band of Brothers, and Oz, but lately there isn't much on HBO I watch.
DanielSan
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:19 pm

DanielSan wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:
minstrel wrote:Why would anyone even contemplate cancelling HBO?

Exactly. Since Carnivale never came back for a third season, no HBO series really overwhelmed me. Not even the Sopranos. (I know, I know.) I enjoyed John from Cincinnati, Band of Brothers, and Oz, but lately there isn't much on HBO I watch.

That seriously pissed me off! IT was getting so fucking good too! Such a great cast.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Fievel on Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:07 pm

Other reasons to keep it: Entourage, Flight Of The Conchords, The Pacific
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Ice Princess on Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:33 pm

OMG I read all the books and the series is really awesome. I remember thinking that
they should do a series on the books when I was reading them and then shortly after
I finished them a friend told me they were coming out with the series which was supposed
to air last year and then there was the stupid writer's strike which I think messed things up and then I thought they just decided to cancel it because I didn't hear anything about it.

Now I'm hearing news about it airing in September so I really hope it's true this time.
I can't wait for the series to air.
Ice Princess
GLIB

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:06 am

Man is anyone watching those 3 minute "BloodCopy Reports" on HBO? They have them On Demand now for those of you with the service. It's an attempt at semi-viral documentary style pimpage of the show showing the reaction to the discovery of Tru Blood, the "coming out" of vampires, etc.

All i can say is i'm far less interested in the show now that i've seen these, way to go HBO! I still like the premise, but man i hope the show is better than these things were...and i hope NOBODY that made in appearance in these is actually in the show.

Holy shit, i've seen better acting and v.o. work in computer game cutscenes. These are truly horrible.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby tapehead on Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:59 am

Retardo_Montalban wrote:Holy shit, I swear I saw a movie starring David Carradine with this premise 15 years ago. It was about this town of vampires who drink artificial blood and they hire this human and his family to maintain the blood making machine. The twist of the story comes when a young upstart vampire decides he doesn't want to drink fake blood anymore, so he starts stalking the humans. The good vampires try and stop this new guy and his gang, but the upstart makes a bunch of bullets out of wood and owns all the good vampires. In the end, the humans make a giant cross and kill the bad vampires, but the good vampires are spared by the cross, because GOD has forgiven them. David Carradine plays the mayor, I think.

Is is 'Sundown'? I think I saw that one too. I think the town was called Pugatory and Bruce Campbell turns up as Van Helsing up at one point.
Last edited by tapehead on Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Fievel on Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:03 am

Lord Voldemoo wrote:Man is anyone watching those 3 minute "BloodCopy Reports" on HBO? They have them On Demand now for those of you with the service. It's an attempt at semi-viral documentary style pimpage of the show showing the reaction to the discovery of Tru Blood, the "coming out" of vampires, etc.

All i can say is i'm far less interested in the show now that i've seen these, way to go HBO! I still like the premise, but man i hope the show is better than these things were...and i hope NOBODY that made in appearance in these is actually in the show.

Holy shit, i've seen better acting and v.o. work in computer game cutscenes. These are truly horrible.

I just watched these. They're not THE worst thing ever, but they're pretty close. Very "Public Access Television".
They reminded me of those prequel webisode videos that came out before 30 Days Of Night.

The stories here are just setting up the show. The show is NOT of this production quality.
They didn't need to do this.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Ribbons on Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:09 pm

Ken Tucker (from Entertainment Weekly) has a review for the first few episodes of this show, and the prognosis is not-so-hot...

Ken Tucker wrote:Alan Ball told The New York Times that, after all the doom-and-gloom of his series "Six Feet Under," he was ready to tackle something "a little more fun." Thus "Tru Blood," based on novels by Charlaine Harris that Ball enjoyed for their sardonic take on vampirism. "Blood" follows Sookie Stackhouse (Anna Paquin, X-Men), a saucy Southern waitress involved with vampire Bill Compton (88 Minutes' Stephen Moyer), who looks at Sookie the way Elvis Presley probably did when he first laid eyes on the 14-year-old Priscilla Beaulieu.

In the world created by Harris and now Ball, vampires walk among us (at night, anyway) due to the development of Tru Blood, a synthetic liquid that slakes vamps' thirst so they don't need to feed on humans. 'Need' is the key word: the naughtiest night creatures still enjoy dipping their fangs in the real stuff. Set in a tiny Louisiana town, "Tru Blood" is a Souhthern goth-absurdist-civil rights-horror show: folks acknowledge that vampires exist, they just dont want them moving into their neighborhood. Juicy stuff, eh?

The problem is, on evidence of "Six Feet Under," his Oscar-winning script for American Beauty, and now "Blood," Ball has never seen a comic/dramatic premise he can't flatten with leaden metaphors. He pumps up a tedious subplot about vampires campaigning on TV for anti-discrimination laws. And he makes so many heavy-handed comparisons between vampires and homosexuals that you wonder if he's really never seen "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" or The Lost Boys. Exercising his HBO freedom, Ball also twists author Harris' inverse notion -- humans drink vampire blood because it improves their sex lives -- into a lame joke about Sookie's brother ("Summerland"'s Ryan Kwanten) getting a painfully huge erection. In the midst of all this, Paquin (who does a subtler Southern accent than Kyra Sedgwick in "The Closer," for what it's worth) and Moyer (who conveys Bill's courtly menace perfectly) frequently get lost in a series in which they're supposed to be the central couple.

Having read Harris' Dead Until Dark, the Sookie book on which Ball says he primarily based "Tru Blood," I'd say that the author is more vivid, subtle, and funny in her portrayal of Southern life; I'd be surprised if her fans aren't disappointed by this adaptation. The best thing about Ball's shows is their opening credits. I loved "Six Feet"'s coursing graphics even after I was over the series, and I love Jace Everett's theme song for "Blood." Singing the refrain "I want to do/Bad things with you" with swampy lascviousness, Everett does what Ball cannot: he earns his hokeyness.

C
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:43 pm

I have a dvd of the pilot right now but haven't watched it yet. BTW if anyone is interested Blockbuster seems to be renting the pilot for free (or at least the one next to my place is...)

I'll probably watch it tomorrow or Monday and report back...
Lord Voldemoo

Re: True Blood - New HBO Series

Postby BuckyO'harre on Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:12 am

Ice Princess wrote:OMG I read all the books and the series is really awesome. I remember thinking that
they should do a series on the books when I was reading them and then shortly after
I finished them a friend told me they were coming out with the series which was supposed
to air last year and then there was the stupid writer's strike which I think messed things up and then I thought they just decided to cancel it because I didn't hear anything about it.

Now I'm hearing news about it airing in September so I really hope it's true this time.
I can't wait for the series to air.

:idea:

Teh Balm, that you?

Adam Balm wrote:

Thank you, Zoners, for the kindness, tolerance, and enlightenment you've shared with me. It may not have been deserved, but it was greatly appreciated nonetheless. Soupy twist.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:04 am

IPAMPILASH, I just noticed the tagline at the bottom of the poster. Classic!

In other news, I'm not sure what "courtly menace" means...
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:43 am

I though the workprint-pilot was decent enough. But as most of the current reviews are the first few episodes, maybe it goes downhill.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:44 am

Fried Gold wrote:I though the workprint-pilot was decent enough. But as most of the current reviews are the first few episodes, maybe it goes downhill.

I felt the same way. I thought the score was a little off. Maybe that was just a temp score or something. But there were some things that really worked for me. Anna being cute as hell. Stephen Moyer was pretty cool too. I don't know, I do not get HBO but I would like to follow this series one way or another.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Spifftacular SquirrelGirl on Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:14 am

I never saw the workprint but I really enjoyed the first episode quite a bit.

One part I'm kind of curious about is if Sookie knew she was kind of going all Jedi with the chain when she was rescuing Bill. She didn't seem to let it phase her at all and according to Herc's review, it seemed to be more of a subconscious thing. I guess I might have to wait and catch it again tomorrow considering I'm poor and that means no Tivo for me. *sob*

BTW... when did the Zone get all organize-y like this?

Until next time,
Ciao.
Spifftacular SquirrelGirl
AIRWOLF

Postby Peven on Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:29 am

caught the pilot last night and thought it was pretty good. after reading that review i am not sure if that guy saw the same show i did, because he is way off base, imo.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:42 pm

So what are the differences between thew workprint and the final pilot?

I have to wait to watch this later in the week.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby John-Locke on Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:48 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:So what are the differences between thew workprint and the final pilot?

I'm going to watch it tonight hopefully so I'll let you know but from what I hear her Best Friend has been replaced by a new actress who isn't as good looking but is far less annoying
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:22 pm

John-Locke wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:So what are the differences between thew workprint and the final pilot?

I'm going to watch it tonight hopefully so I'll let you know but from what I hear her Best Friend has been replaced by a new actress who isn't as good looking but is far less annoying

Well thats a step in the right direction.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:49 pm

So has it starting airing already?

Someone needs to make thread to let all us UKers know when stuff starts, else we won't be able to watch it via highly illegal download.
Last edited by Fried Gold on Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:51 pm

Fried Gold wrote:So has it starting airing already?

Someone needs to make thread to let all us UKers know when stuff starts, else we won't be able to watching it via highly illegal download.

last night was the premier of entourage and True Blood on HBO.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby John-Locke on Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:10 pm

There is a PREAIR of Episode 2 available too if you know where to look
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:25 pm

It seems they've reinstated the "e" in the title now.

True Blood stinks a lot less of Tru Calling now.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:04 pm

Fried Gold wrote:It seems they've reinstated the "e" in the title now.

True Blood stinks a lot less of Tru Calling now.

Fixed.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Evil Hobbit on Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:03 pm

I loved it. Good pacing, good acting, interesting plot. I'm intrigued.
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby RogueScribner on Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:05 am

I just finished watching the first episode and I thought it was merely okay. Interesting premise, but it seemed a bit disjointed in places and many of the characters were rather more like caricatures. The series isn't really sardonic, it's just a bit stereotypical. I'll give it a few more eps to see if it finds its way because I do like the premise and Anna Paquin is teh hotness. :mrgreen:

One thing I found odd was the placement of the vampire fangs. I've seen vampire teeth where they're all jacked up or the canines protrude, but I can't recall ever seeing the incisors do that. It reminded me of a snake more than anything. Maybe that was intentional.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Re: True Blood - New HBO Series (Now w/ 100% More e!)

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:40 am

I don't give a shit about continuity, they have to change the way them fangs pop out. It's like they all have switch blades in their mouth. It's just super mechanical looking and lame.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby VegasRon on Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:16 am

Just watched the pilot and second ep back to back.

They toned down the annoyance factor of the best friend, which is good, cuz she's hot. However, everyone else is still a bad cliche. I'll give it time to flesh out, though the paquin character arc is pretty obvious, because I like the premise. Ep 2 ends pretty cheesily.

I'm more interested in Sons of Anarchy and possibly Fringe, for new programming, so far.
You can't take the sky from me...
VegasRon
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:59 am

I seem to remember Six Feet Under having fairly cliched characters when it started, who were later developed a bit more. (although that's only what I've been told as I gave up on Six Feet Under after a while)...
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby maxweaver on Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:07 pm

this show sucked. I was severly disapointed because I love Sixfeet. The fact that they didn't go into why/how she is psychic, the dialouge, everything in this first episode was pretty sloppy
maxweaver
GLIB

Next

Return to Coaxial