True Blood (Now w/ 100% More e!)

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Re: True Blood - New HBO Series (Now w/ 100% More e!)

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:11 pm

maxweaver wrote:this show sucked. I was severly disapointed because I love Sixfeet. The fact that they didn't go into why/how she is psychic, the dialouge, everything in this first episode was pretty sloppy

You expected them to go into why she was psychic in the first episode?
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:23 pm

Ribbons wrote:I am using my psychic powers to predict that all will be revealed in time! (If it doesn't get cancelled that is)

Actually, there might already be an answer buried somewhere in the books. Anybody here read them? Anyone? Ice Princess...?

My guess is it probably wont make it past this season. =/
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby John-Locke on Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:27 pm

You find out a lot more about her powers in the second episode, as well as the Vamps powers, I'm also suspecting there is another character with some kind of power but I could be way off.

I think the show has potential and it's entertained me so far.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:55 pm

I am seeing the potential too. Anyone have any word on how successful the premier was?
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:15 pm

Audiences don't bite

LA Times wrote:HBO's 'True Blood': Audiences don't bite
04:13 PM PT, Sep 9 2008

Trueblood HBO just can't catch a break.

After engineering a massive, multimillion-dollar marketing campaign to promote "True Blood," the new vampire series from Alan Ball, Sunday's premiere drew just 1.44 million viewers.

That's bad news for the cable channel, which hasn't been able to launch a new one-hour drama to any kind of ratings fanfare in some time. Without one of its previous powerhouse lead-ins ("The Sopranos," "Sex and the City") its new shows have floundered.

David Milch's offbeat surf drama "John From Cincinnati" debuted to 3.4 million in June 2007 (albeit following the well-attended series finale of "The Sopranos"), while the sexually explicit drama "Tell Me You Love Me" suffered without a strong lead-in, premiering to 910,000 viewers in September 2007.

Neither of those shows was as heavily marketed as "True Blood," and both were canceled after one season. (The low-budget "In Treatment," a half-hour, five-night-a-week therapy drama starring Gabriel Byrne, was renewed for a second season but delivered even more modest ratings than "Tell Me.")

The "True Blood" audience was lower than even the last new episode of HBO's "Big Love," which delivered 2.88 million in August 2007. And it pales overall when compared with the network's past drama premieres such as "Big Love" (4.56 million in March 2006), "Rome" (3.8 million in August 2005) and "Deadwood" (5.79 million in March 2004).

It should be noted that pay channels like HBO and Showtime air their series episodes several times over the course of a week and over various multiplexes, and HBO executives will be paying close attention to the "True Blood" premiere's cumulative viewership. (A later 10:30 p.m. airing Sunday added 672,000 viewers to that overall tally).

On the positive tip, reviews for "True Blood" have ranged from lukewarm to enthusiastic. Times critic Mary McNamara was less of a fan, saying Ball zapped the fun out of the original Charlaine Harris' novels and turned it into a "heavy-handed political fable."

Ball, of "Six Feet Under" fame, tried to level expectations for the series last week, telling Time Out Chicago that he didn't feel the pressure to strike gold twice. "I do the best show I can, then I go home and I have a life. Ultimately, it's just television."

Meanwhile, 1.645 million tuned in afterward for the Season 5 premiere of "Entourage." Numbers improved upon "True Blood," but also rank as the series' smallest audience since July 2005. The premiere was down 29% from the fourth-season opener.

-- Denise Martin
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby RogueScribner on Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:02 pm

Ha ha. I love how the same number is quoted in the last two posts, but one is spun like it's good and the other is spun like it's bad.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:21 pm

Ribbons wrote:Yeah, I sort of THOUGHT it was good but I didn't realize that it sucked compared to the other HBO shows that had the same timeslot in the past... apparently "Generation Kill" just did really, really bad...

David Simons shows have never done well ratings wise, but are cheap to produce comparatively and are critical darlings.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Ribbons on Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:12 am

It sucks, because "Generation Kill" is pretty sweet (I can't speak for "The Wire" since I've seen less than a season's worth so far). Eh well... bring on "Treme"!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:26 am

i started watching this last night but fell asleep about halfway through, not because i was bored, just because i was tired. so i'll finish it up probably tomorrow night. i like the premise and anna paquin (still holding out hope for some rogue nudity in future eps), and it seemed ok for a premiere, has potential. i'm intrigued by her psychic powers and what it means that she can't read the vamps minds, i didn't know about that angle and thought it was interesting how they established that right at the very beginning of the episode and the show. i like that it's pre-established, something she's always had and known about and lived with, not something we have to see her slowly discovering about over the course of a season. anyway, pretty good start, i'll stick with it a few episodes at least.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby instant_karma on Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:15 pm

Just watched the first to episodes back to back. It looks like it could be pretty fun show. I'm not really sure why the reviews so far have been so down on it.
So, Sam the bar owner is a vampire and turns into that dog that follows her around right?
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby John-Locke on Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:25 pm

John-Locke wrote:I'm also suspecting there is another character with some kind of power but I could be way off.

instant_karma wrote:So, Sam the bar owner is a vampire and turns into that dog that follows her around right?

Thats kinda what I was thinking but

If he's a vampire then how comes she can read his mind? I'm thinking he's a werewolf or something
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby instant_karma on Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:45 pm

John-Locke wrote:
John-Locke wrote:I'm also suspecting there is another character with some kind of power but I could be way off.

instant_karma wrote:So, Sam the bar owner is a vampire and turns into that dog that follows her around right?

Thats kinda what I was thinking but

If he's a vampire then how comes she can read his mind? I'm thinking he's a werewolf or something

Did she read his mind? There was that scene in the second episode where she makes a point of saying that she consciously try's to avoid reading her co-workers minds, so perhaps she's never had reason to find that she cannot read his mind.
instant_karma

Postby VegasRon on Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:02 pm

Yes, she read his mind in ep 2.

I think the reason she can't read vamp's minds and they can't hypnotize her is cuz she destined to be a vamp hunter.
You can't take the sky from me...
VegasRon
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Fievel on Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:45 pm

I really, REALLY like the direction that the second episode took it in.

So did she have super-strength too? I could have sworn she threw the first of that couple off into the trees.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby VegasRon on Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:24 pm

Fievel wrote:I really, REALLY like the direction that the second episode took it in.

So did she have super-strength too? I could have sworn she threw the first of that couple off into the trees.

No, the vamp killed both. She just rolled around on the ground, all busted up.
You can't take the sky from me...
VegasRon
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:16 am

VegasRon wrote:Yes, she read his mind in ep 2.

I think the reason she can't read vamp's minds and they can't hypnotize her is cuz she destined to be a vamp hunter.

It's not such a down-to-earth an explanation as that.

First episode - liked it. The slight changes they made from the pre-air version were good.

Second episode - I thought it was a bit up and down. The "guess who's coming to dinner" scene was well done. But other scenes seemed like they went on for too long. Knowing about Tara at this stage didn't really seem neccessary when so many other things were going on.

The grandma is a good character and well played.

[Note - does anyone else think the Sookie's house looks like the Fisher Funeral Home? Re-used sets, maybe?]
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Hermanator X on Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:47 am

I just cant believe that her love rat brother is Vinnie from home and away.
Sally really done a number on him, but nice to see he is over it.
(By the way, my girlfriend noticed him not me, but he has came a long way from summer bay)
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby John-Locke on Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:41 am

VINNIE YOU FLAMIN' MONGOLIER!

(Said by Alf when the V-Man splashed him on his Jet Ski)

Funnily enough I always thought Mr Patterson had potential to be a star, he's got good screen presence and his goofy face emotes well
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:39 pm

Harold Bishop is in Lost next year, playing Claire's long-lost uncle.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:58 pm

3 episodes in and I think it's safe to say this show is good, all the weird characters have grown on me and I think it's slowly but surely building up to something worthwhile.

Liked the constant teasing about Sam being the dog only for them to share a small scene together. Liked the "Bad" Vamps introductions and am anticipating the arrival of the "Higher Authorities", I know from the IMDB that Eric is going to be played by Alexander Skarsgård so I'm expecting good things to come from that.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Ribbons on Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:08 pm

Damn, Alexander Skarsgard is like HBO's MVP right now!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby RogueScribner on Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:05 am

I think I'm going to stop watching this show. The only thing that keeps bringing me back is Paquin, but even she isn't enough to save this mess. I haven't seen a vampire show this full of dumb clichés and stereotypes since . . . well, ever!!! The show is pretending to be something substantial when in reality it's just goofy. I can't take this show seriously.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:22 am

I'm two episodes in and liking it. It looks like they're off to a slow build to what is most certainly going to be a shitstorm of blood at the end of the season. I'm liking the look of the show and the performances. I was kinda disappointed in the silver thing, but oh well. I thought The Monster Squad settled that once and for well. Minor thing. Has anyone read the books? Just wondering if they're worth a look.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby instant_karma on Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:18 am

John-Locke wrote:Liked the constant teasing about Sam being the dog only for them to share a small scene together.

I really liked that too, and totally fell for it.
instant_karma

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:08 pm

i'm kinda schizo on the show. on the one hand i like the basic premise (vamps and humans living in the open together) but i'm having a hard time buying it the way they're selling it... i just don't believe humans would be so accepting of vampires, to the point of even granting them rights and stuff (especially when the vamps are powerful enough to just take whatever rights they want). i hope the show will at least go into why the vamps decided to come out in the open, there's gotta be some underlying sinister reason behind it because otherwise i can't see how it benefits them at all. and i'm getting a bit tired of bill always saying "we don't like people to know our weaknesses or abilities"... every time, right after he's shown or told sookie about it. if you don't want people to know, then STOP TELLING THE HUMAN CHICK! that, and the idea that they could keep them hidden in the internet age, obviously those people draining him knew about the silver and if one person knows, it will spread and eventually everyone will know.

i'm also not grooving on the g@y/vampire metaphor thing. for one thing, if i was g@y, i would find it offensive, since the vampires are still portrayed as evil, predatory killers. if it's a metaphor for g@y rights, then it's shown from the perspective of a fundamentalist xian. even if there are a few "good" vamps like bill, you know in the end most will be evil and be out to kill and drink blood. i mean, it would be a boring show if they weren't. it's also a bit over-the-top, with the whole "god hates fangs" sign in the opening and the vampire rights activists on tv facing off against televangelists. it just doesn't work at all.

still, i like anna paquin and that bill guy and can see some good stuff when i look beyond the politics or the believability factor. right now i'm on the fence, but it's hbo and paquin might still get nakers so i'll stick with it for the season probably.

and there's def. something up with that dog. maybe the barkeep is a wizard and the dog is his familiar.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby RogueScribner on Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:11 pm

I wrote a screenplay about 13 years ago where I played with the vampires = gays idea. But my vampires were more realistic (if such a thing is possible); they didn't possess superpowers, they weren't repelled by crucifixes or silver, etc. I stripped them down to their essence to make them viable beings in the world I created (which took place in the "near future" of the 21st century). I took the angle that vampirism was more of an incurable disease that had its benefits and drawbacks but that, this being the Information Age, their presence became known and while some were intrigued by them most were wary. It got into politics and social issues that I won't go into here, but at the time I thought it was a pretty cool idea. I packaged it like a graphic novel mystery thriller before those were in vogue. ;)

Anyhoo, I agree with Baxter in that the show's concept is intriguing but the execution leaves much to be desired. It's a backwater Charmed with some T&A thrown in, except Charmed never took itself this seriously. The vampires are goofy and the humans aren't much better. I'm not exactly sure what the point of this show is supposed to be.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby tapehead on Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:25 pm

To entertain it's viewers. The premise and writing so far are far more interesting than I ever found Charmed (Buffy-derivative teen pandering drivel), even when you allow for Alyssa Milano. The whole 'God Hates Fangs' angle is a little heavy-handed so far, but it feels like the show is working up to something bigger, and the metaphor is more about discrimination generally than homophobia specifically; the scope will eventually extend beyond the small group of characters we've seen so far, it seems to me, and Paquin and co are very watchable so far - the casting change of Tarah from the pilot seems a much better fit too. Paquin's character works for me because she is very clearly not a normal human chick, and her extra-sensory powers seem like they will continue to be a central conceit of the show. I like it, and look forward to more sex scenes.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby tacosauceletters on Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:05 am

at first i thought this show was going to be really lame, but i started watching it and im actually really into it! and since when did anna paquin become kinda hot? i always thought she was kinda a buttface
tacosauceletters
GLIB

Postby RogueScribner on Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:26 am

RogueScribner wrote:I'm not exactly sure what the point of this show is supposed to be.

tapehead wrote:To entertain it's viewers.

Consider me not entertained. Anna Paquin so far is the only thing I like about this show. The rest of it I can't really take seriously.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby stereosforgeeks on Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:37 am

I just caught up with all the episodes last night. Episodes 2 and 3 are superior to the pilot and Im actually interested in the show going forward now. That being said it's still a bit heavy handed and is a bit uneven at points but I am interested enough with where it's going to continue at this point.

Ohh and by the way whyd they have to kill the hot chick with the fake perky tits =[.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:12 am

tapehead wrote:The whole 'God Hates Fangs' angle is a little heavy-handed so far, but it feels like the show is working up to something bigger, and the metaphor is more about discrimination generally than homophobia specifically; the scope will eventually extend beyond the small group of characters we've seen so far, it seems to me

the problem is, the discrimination metaphor is kinda undermined when the people being discriminated against are EVIL KILLERS

stereosforgeeks wrote:Ohh and by the way whyd they have to kill the hot chick with the fake perky tits =[.

she's the 2nd chick to get naked and end up dead on the show. i''m sensing a theme.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby stereosforgeeks on Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:27 am

TheBaxter wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:Ohh and by the way whyd they have to kill the hot chick with the fake perky tits =[.

she's the 2nd chick to get naked and end up dead on the show. i''m sensing a theme.

I was more disappointed by the latest one though. I think the theme is whoever her brother bones gets deaded ;).
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:52 am

stereosforgeeks wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:

I was more disappointed by the latest one though. I think the theme is whoever her brother bones gets deaded ;).

now i can't decide whether i want to see them have an incest scene or not...
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby stereosforgeeks on Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:27 am

TheBaxter wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:

Ohh no poor Paquin!
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby instant_karma on Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:41 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:

What, her brother and her grandma? Dude, that's sick!
instant_karma

Postby John-Locke on Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:53 pm

LOL
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby John-Locke on Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:28 pm

instant_karma wrote:
John-Locke wrote:Liked the constant teasing about Sam being the dog only for them to share a small scene together.

Now I'm thinking it was a double bluff, I don't think Sam is the killer or that dog but the way he was sniffing that bed was certainly dog like (my dog rolls around on beds sniffing like that if given a chance).

Anyone notice the apprentice coroner in the Vamp bar?
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:43 pm

John-Locke wrote:
instant_karma wrote:

Now I'm thinking it was a double bluff, I don't think Sam is the killer or that dog but the way he was sniffing that bed was certainly dog like (my dog rolls around on beds sniffing like that if given a chance).

Anyone notice the apprentice coroner in the Vamp bar?

They could still be linked somehow.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:29 am

I was surprised they showed us how Bill became a vampire this week. Seemed like it shouldve been a reveal for later in the season.

Also, I was damn shocked at Gramma being killed. It will definitely bring about a new dynamic with Sookie Jason having to come into their own more. Did one of the vampire haters kill her because she set up Bills talk? Or was it the same killer as the two hoes?

Jason tripping on V was pretty damn funny especially him banging the girl out back and rubbing garbage on her.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Evil Hobbit on Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:14 pm

I love this show! To me it's already more fun then Six Feet, which I found becoming tiresome after 2 and a half seasons. These characters are just so intriguing, and the whole angle is fascinating. I agree with Stereos, was a huge shock to see Granny on the floor. I love the whole V-dealing. Jason and Lafayette have such great chemistry. Bill's story was quite harsh and moving.
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby Fievel on Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:31 pm

I agree with both preceding posts.

-Granny at the end is sad.
-Bill's story was cool, but I really wish it would have been an entire episode. Vampires in the Civil War is a cool concept.
-Lafayette cracks me up every episode. I loved his AIDS smackdown.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby John-Locke on Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:46 pm

I'm definitely liking how the show balances character and storyline, both serve each other without bogging the other one down.

Great episode with a compelling story and both funny and moving character beats all wrapped up with a nasty twist or two at the end.

This show is a keeper.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:21 pm

Yeah last night had me hooked as well. The Lafayette character is just too brilliant and his rant about AIDS was hysterical. I also like Bill a lot more after last night. His background reminded me of a Jonah Hex comic. So dark and moody... I guessed by a mile what was going to happen, but it was still shocking and horrific. Sad about the gramma, but old bitches annoy me.

Only bad thing: every episode Sookie tells Bill off and by episode's end she's reconsidering. Knock it off Sookie. You're an idiot.

New theory about dog and Mulotte: Is Mulotte some kind of witch and the dog his familiar?
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:45 pm

Anybody every watch Monkey Shines??¿ I think Sam used to be a cripple and fed his dog human brain juice and as a result of their co-dependent relationship, Sam and his dog share a psychic connection. When Sam is dreaming at night his dog runs around fulfilling all of Sam's deepest desires and projects it back into Sam's dream. Sam could also be a werewolf and his dog is like a familiar or something.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby papalazeru on Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:06 am

I dunno why but this series kind of reminds me of the wonderful weirdness of 'Dead like me'

It's a good show but I don't think I'm fully in love with it just yet. I think a few more eps and I'll be there. I do like the characters though.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Gerald Fried on Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:30 am

I got bored with it after the ep3 and can't really be bothered to watch it anymore. The same thing happened with Six Feet Under.
Gerald Fried
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Fievel on Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:58 am

Gerald Fried wrote:The same thing happened with Six Feet Under.

Too bad for you.
You missed an amazing show with possibly THE best finale ever.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:17 am

Fievel wrote:
Gerald Fried wrote:The same thing happened with Six Feet Under.

Too bad for you.
You missed an amazing show with possibly THE best finale ever.

There was a lot of filler in that series though as seasons 3 annd 4 were just "ok."
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby instant_karma on Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:36 pm

Though I'm still enjoying this show, I'm starting to wonder if there really is any kind of overall story arc to the season.
instant_karma

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:54 pm

instant_karma wrote:Though I'm still enjoying this show, I'm starting to wonder if there really is any kind of overall story arc to the season.

Well there is quite a bit of character development and storyline development that has to go on. I tend to give most series a bit of a pass on a powerful story arc for season 1. Season 1's will hook me if the characters and general premise are interesting, even if they don't go too far advancing a larger plot. It's Season 2 where we separate the men from the boys...

Here, right now I'm in. I like the characters, it has a nice mix of creepy/weird and funny/weird without feeling "purposefully quirky".
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

PreviousNext

Return to Coaxial