Page 1 of 13

True Blood (Now w/ 100% More e!)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:19 pm
by Fievel
Alan Ball's (Six Feet Under, American Beauty) new series "Tru Blood" is set to debut on September 7 on HBO.

Here's Wikipedia's description:

Tru Blood is an American television series based on the Southern Vampire Mysteries books by Charlaine Harris and adapted for television by Alan Ball. The series is produced by HBO in association with Ball's own production company, Your Face Goes Here Entertainment.

The show details the fictional co-existence of vampires and humans in a small Louisiana town after Japanese-made synthetic blood becomes available for purchase. Anna Paquin stars as Sookie Stackhouse, a telepathic waitress at a diner who falls in love with one of the vampires, Bill Compton (portrayed by Stephen Moyer), integrated into her society.


I know nothing of the books it was based on, but this looks good. HBO desperately needs another hit after botching up their quality shows the past few years.

Oh, and it has William Sanderson (Deadwood, Newhart), so it HAS to be good.

Re: Tru Blood - New HBO Series

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:33 pm
by Lord Voldemoo
Yeah, I saw a short promo for this the other day and it looked interesting. I'll see if I can find a link when I get home this evening.

I have no idea about the books either? Anyone else read them?

Re: Tru Blood - New HBO Series

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:51 pm
by stereosforgeeks
Ive been wanting this to premiere for a long while now! Any idea when it should be headed to the airwaves?

Re: Tru Blood - New HBO Series

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:25 pm
by Lord Voldemoo
Fievel wrote:Alan Ball's (Six Feet Under, American Beauty) new series "Tru Blood" is set to debut on September 7 on HBO.


so not the "airwaves" so much as the premium cable-waves...but there ya go.

Re: Tru Blood - New HBO Series

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:26 pm
by stereosforgeeks
Lord Voldemoo wrote:
Fievel wrote:Alan Ball's (Six Feet Under, American Beauty) new series "Tru Blood" is set to debut on September 7 on HBO.


so not the "airwaves" so much as the premium cable-waves...but there ya go.


Thanks your cowness.

Re: Tru Blood - New HBO Series

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:28 pm
by Lord Voldemoo
stereosforgeeks wrote:
Lord Voldemoo wrote:
Fievel wrote:Alan Ball's (Six Feet Under, American Beauty) new series "Tru Blood" is set to debut on September 7 on HBO.


so not the "airwaves" so much as the premium cable-waves...but there ya go.


Thanks your cowness.


I would expect maybe a panel or some additional info at the Con this year. If so, I'll try to hit it and report back. Despite its issues over the past few years, I still love and trust HBO...

Re: Tru Blood - New HBO Series

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:41 pm
by Fievel
Lord Voldemoo wrote:Despite its issues over the past few years, I still love and trust HBO...


Me too.
I'll always be HBO's battered wife that always loves it and comes back.

Re: Tru Blood - New HBO Series

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:25 am
by Tyrone_Shoelaces
Fievel wrote:
Lord Voldemoo wrote:Despite its issues over the past few years, I still love and trust HBO...


Me too.
I'll always be HBO's battered wife that always loves it and comes back.


"He can change! He loves me!"

Re: Tru Blood - New HBO Series

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:56 am
by Retardo_Montalban
Holy shit, I swear I saw a movie starring David Carradine with this premise 15 years ago. It was about this town of vampires who drink artificial blood and they hire this human and his family to maintain the blood making machine. The twist of the story comes when a young upstart vampire decides he doesn't want to drink fake blood anymore, so he starts stalking the humans. The good vampires try and stop this new guy and his gang, but the upstart makes a bunch of bullets out of wood and owns all the good vampires. In the end, the humans make a giant cross and kill the bad vampires, but the good vampires are spared by the cross, because GOD has forgiven them. David Carradine plays the mayor, I think.

Re: Tru Blood - New HBO Series

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:28 pm
by Fievel
A workprint of the pilot has been leaked on them internets.
It's missing scenes and the ending seems to come rather abruptly, so I'd avoid it...

....if I hadn't already watched it.

It was good. I was hooked by the end of the intro before the opening credits.
Is it the best thing to hit HBO? Hardly.
But it's still better than most of the crap on Network television.

Anna Paquin makes a good blonde.

Re: Tru Blood - New HBO Series

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:09 pm
by stereosforgeeks
I just finished watching this as well. Alan Ball didnt hit this one out of the park like the SFU pilot but it's definitely solid and fit's on HBO's line-up. Youve got tits, death, violence, some dark themes, etc... I'll definitely be watching when it premieres.

Re: Tru Blood - New HBO Series

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:51 pm
by TonyWilson
Anna Paquin's tits?

Re: Tru Blood - New HBO Series

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:58 pm
by Fievel
TonyWilson wrote:Anna Paquin's tits?


Sigh.
No.
But her diastema is shown almost exclusively.

Re: Tru Blood - New HBO Series

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:00 pm
by stereosforgeeks
TonyWilson wrote:Anna Paquin's tits?


hoping at some point =p

Re: Tru Blood - New HBO Series

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:47 am
by Tyrone_Shoelaces
Fievel wrote:
TonyWilson wrote:Anna Paquin's tits?


Sigh.
No.
But her diastema is shown almost exclusively.


I knew she was a dirty girl.

Re: Tru Blood - New HBO Series

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:06 am
by TheBaxter
stereosforgeeks wrote:
TonyWilson wrote:Anna Paquin's tits?


hoping at some point =p


somebody oughta pass a law.

Re: Tru Blood - New HBO Series

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:20 am
by Fried Gold
Fievel wrote:A workprint of the pilot has been leaked on them internets.
It's missing scenes and the ending seems to come rather abruptly, so I'd avoid it...

....if I hadn't already watched it.

It was good. I was hooked by the end of the intro before the opening credits.
Is it the best thing to hit HBO? Hardly.
But it's still better than most of the crap on Network television.

Anna Paquin makes a good blonde.

While it's not perfect, there's definitely something about it that was captivating.

And not just Anna Paquin's "prominence" in the pilot, although that was good too. (...her friend was a farkin annoying though, even if meant to be.)

The concept that vampires have been fully outed, synthablood is on sale...and combined with the odd characters of Eerie, Louisiana...isn't something I'm aware of.

Re: Tru Blood - New HBO Series

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:30 am
by stereosforgeeks
Fried Gold wrote:The concept that vampires have been fully outed, synthablood is on sale...and combined with the odd characters of Eerie, Louisiana...isn't something I'm aware of.


I think there was some soap that did something simliar, but im not 100% on the exact concept.

Re: Tru Blood - New HBO Series

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:15 pm
by DanielSan
Lord Voldemoo wrote:Despite its issues over the past few years, I still love and trust HBO...


Yeah, me too. Hell, I think this series just postponed me canceling HBO. At least for the time being...

Re: Tru Blood - New HBO Series

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:19 pm
by minstrel
DanielSan wrote:
Lord Voldemoo wrote:Despite its issues over the past few years, I still love and trust HBO...


Yeah, me too. Hell, I think this series just postponed me canceling HBO. At least for the time being...



Why would anyone even contemplate cancelling HBO?

Re: Tru Blood - New HBO Series

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:41 pm
by TheBaxter
minstrel wrote:
DanielSan wrote:
Lord Voldemoo wrote:Despite its issues over the past few years, I still love and trust HBO...


Yeah, me too. Hell, I think this series just postponed me canceling HBO. At least for the time being...



Why would anyone even contemplate cancelling HBO?


this and Bill Maher are pretty much my only reasons for keeping it. i can get all the movies i need from netflix.

Re: Tru Blood - New HBO Series

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:54 pm
by DanielSan
TheBaxter wrote:
minstrel wrote:Why would anyone even contemplate cancelling HBO?


this and Bill Maher are pretty much my only reasons for keeping it. i can get all the movies i need from netflix.


Exactly. Since Carnivale never came back for a third season, no HBO series really overwhelmed me. Not even the Sopranos. (I know, I know.) I enjoyed John from Cincinnati, Band of Brothers, and Oz, but lately there isn't much on HBO I watch.

Re: Tru Blood - New HBO Series

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:19 pm
by stereosforgeeks
DanielSan wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:
minstrel wrote:Why would anyone even contemplate cancelling HBO?


this and Bill Maher are pretty much my only reasons for keeping it. i can get all the movies i need from netflix.


Exactly. Since Carnivale never came back for a third season, no HBO series really overwhelmed me. Not even the Sopranos. (I know, I know.) I enjoyed John from Cincinnati, Band of Brothers, and Oz, but lately there isn't much on HBO I watch.


That seriously pissed me off! IT was getting so fucking good too! Such a great cast.

Re: Tru Blood - New HBO Series

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:07 pm
by Fievel
Other reasons to keep it: Entourage, Flight Of The Conchords, The Pacific

Re: Tru Blood - New HBO Series

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:33 pm
by Ice Princess
OMG I read all the books and the series is really awesome. I remember thinking that
they should do a series on the books when I was reading them and then shortly after
I finished them a friend told me they were coming out with the series which was supposed
to air last year and then there was the stupid writer's strike which I think messed things up and then I thought they just decided to cancel it because I didn't hear anything about it.

Now I'm hearing news about it airing in September so I really hope it's true this time.
I can't wait for the series to air.

Re: Tru Blood - New HBO Series

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:06 am
by Lord Voldemoo
Man is anyone watching those 3 minute "BloodCopy Reports" on HBO? They have them On Demand now for those of you with the service. It's an attempt at semi-viral documentary style pimpage of the show showing the reaction to the discovery of Tru Blood, the "coming out" of vampires, etc.

All i can say is i'm far less interested in the show now that i've seen these, way to go HBO! I still like the premise, but man i hope the show is better than these things were...and i hope NOBODY that made in appearance in these is actually in the show.

Holy shit, i've seen better acting and v.o. work in computer game cutscenes. These are truly horrible.

Re: Tru Blood - New HBO Series

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:59 am
by tapehead
Retardo_Montalban wrote:Holy shit, I swear I saw a movie starring David Carradine with this premise 15 years ago. It was about this town of vampires who drink artificial blood and they hire this human and his family to maintain the blood making machine. The twist of the story comes when a young upstart vampire decides he doesn't want to drink fake blood anymore, so he starts stalking the humans. The good vampires try and stop this new guy and his gang, but the upstart makes a bunch of bullets out of wood and owns all the good vampires. In the end, the humans make a giant cross and kill the bad vampires, but the good vampires are spared by the cross, because GOD has forgiven them. David Carradine plays the mayor, I think.


Is is 'Sundown'? I think I saw that one too. I think the town was called Pugatory and Bruce Campbell turns up as Van Helsing up at one point.

Re: Tru Blood - New HBO Series

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:03 am
by Fievel
Lord Voldemoo wrote:Man is anyone watching those 3 minute "BloodCopy Reports" on HBO? They have them On Demand now for those of you with the service. It's an attempt at semi-viral documentary style pimpage of the show showing the reaction to the discovery of Tru Blood, the "coming out" of vampires, etc.

All i can say is i'm far less interested in the show now that i've seen these, way to go HBO! I still like the premise, but man i hope the show is better than these things were...and i hope NOBODY that made in appearance in these is actually in the show.

Holy shit, i've seen better acting and v.o. work in computer game cutscenes. These are truly horrible.


I just watched these. They're not THE worst thing ever, but they're pretty close. Very "Public Access Television".
They reminded me of those prequel webisode videos that came out before 30 Days Of Night.

The stories here are just setting up the show. The show is NOT of this production quality.
They didn't need to do this.

Re: Tru Blood - New HBO Series

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:09 pm
by Ribbons
Ken Tucker (from Entertainment Weekly) has a review for the first few episodes of this show, and the prognosis is not-so-hot...

Ken Tucker wrote:Alan Ball told The New York Times that, after all the doom-and-gloom of his series "Six Feet Under," he was ready to tackle something "a little more fun." Thus "Tru Blood," based on novels by Charlaine Harris that Ball enjoyed for their sardonic take on vampirism. "Blood" follows Sookie Stackhouse (Anna Paquin, X-Men), a saucy Southern waitress involved with vampire Bill Compton (88 Minutes' Stephen Moyer), who looks at Sookie the way Elvis Presley probably did when he first laid eyes on the 14-year-old Priscilla Beaulieu.

In the world created by Harris and now Ball, vampires walk among us (at night, anyway) due to the development of Tru Blood, a synthetic liquid that slakes vamps' thirst so they don't need to feed on humans. 'Need' is the key word: the naughtiest night creatures still enjoy dipping their fangs in the real stuff. Set in a tiny Louisiana town, "Tru Blood" is a Souhthern goth-absurdist-civil rights-horror show: folks acknowledge that vampires exist, they just dont want them moving into their neighborhood. Juicy stuff, eh?

The problem is, on evidence of "Six Feet Under," his Oscar-winning script for American Beauty, and now "Blood," Ball has never seen a comic/dramatic premise he can't flatten with leaden metaphors. He pumps up a tedious subplot about vampires campaigning on TV for anti-discrimination laws. And he makes so many heavy-handed comparisons between vampires and homosexuals that you wonder if he's really never seen "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" or The Lost Boys. Exercising his HBO freedom, Ball also twists author Harris' inverse notion -- humans drink vampire blood because it improves their sex lives -- into a lame joke about Sookie's brother ("Summerland"'s Ryan Kwanten) getting a painfully huge erection. In the midst of all this, Paquin (who does a subtler Southern accent than Kyra Sedgwick in "The Closer," for what it's worth) and Moyer (who conveys Bill's courtly menace perfectly) frequently get lost in a series in which they're supposed to be the central couple.

Having read Harris' Dead Until Dark, the Sookie book on which Ball says he primarily based "Tru Blood," I'd say that the author is more vivid, subtle, and funny in her portrayal of Southern life; I'd be surprised if her fans aren't disappointed by this adaptation. The best thing about Ball's shows is their opening credits. I loved "Six Feet"'s coursing graphics even after I was over the series, and I love Jace Everett's theme song for "Blood." Singing the refrain "I want to do/Bad things with you" with swampy lascviousness, Everett does what Ball cannot: he earns his hokeyness.

C

Re: Tru Blood - New HBO Series

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:43 pm
by Lord Voldemoo
I have a dvd of the pilot right now but haven't watched it yet. BTW if anyone is interested Blockbuster seems to be renting the pilot for free (or at least the one next to my place is...)

I'll probably watch it tomorrow or Monday and report back...

Re: True Blood - New HBO Series

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:12 am
by BuckyO'harre
Ice Princess wrote:OMG I read all the books and the series is really awesome. I remember thinking that
they should do a series on the books when I was reading them and then shortly after
I finished them a friend told me they were coming out with the series which was supposed
to air last year and then there was the stupid writer's strike which I think messed things up and then I thought they just decided to cancel it because I didn't hear anything about it.

Now I'm hearing news about it airing in September so I really hope it's true this time.
I can't wait for the series to air.



...


:idea:

Teh Balm, that you?


Adam Balm wrote:


Image

Re: Tru Blood - New HBO Series

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:04 am
by Ribbons
IPAMPILASH, I just noticed the tagline at the bottom of the poster. Classic!

In other news, I'm not sure what "courtly menace" means...

Re: Tru Blood - New HBO Series

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:43 am
by Fried Gold
I though the workprint-pilot was decent enough. But as most of the current reviews are the first few episodes, maybe it goes downhill.

Re: Tru Blood - New HBO Series

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:44 am
by Leckomaniac
Fried Gold wrote:I though the workprint-pilot was decent enough. But as most of the current reviews are the first few episodes, maybe it goes downhill.


I felt the same way. I thought the score was a little off. Maybe that was just a temp score or something. But there were some things that really worked for me. Anna being cute as hell. Stephen Moyer was pretty cool too. I don't know, I do not get HBO but I would like to follow this series one way or another.

Re: Tru Blood - New HBO Series

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:14 am
by Spifftacular SquirrelGirl
I never saw the workprint but I really enjoyed the first episode quite a bit.

One part I'm kind of curious about is if Sookie knew she was kind of going all Jedi with the chain when she was rescuing Bill. She didn't seem to let it phase her at all and according to Herc's review, it seemed to be more of a subconscious thing. I guess I might have to wait and catch it again tomorrow considering I'm poor and that means no Tivo for me. *sob*

BTW... when did the Zone get all organize-y like this?

Until next time,
Ciao.

Re: Tru Blood - New HBO Series

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:29 am
by Peven
caught the pilot last night and thought it was pretty good. after reading that review i am not sure if that guy saw the same show i did, because he is way off base, imo.

Re: Tru Blood - New HBO Series

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:42 pm
by stereosforgeeks
So what are the differences between thew workprint and the final pilot?

I have to wait to watch this later in the week.

Re: Tru Blood - New HBO Series

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:48 pm
by John-Locke
stereosforgeeks wrote:So what are the differences between thew workprint and the final pilot?


I'm going to watch it tonight hopefully so I'll let you know but from what I hear her Best Friend has been replaced by a new actress who isn't as good looking but is far less annoying

Re: Tru Blood - New HBO Series

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:22 pm
by stereosforgeeks
John-Locke wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:So what are the differences between thew workprint and the final pilot?


I'm going to watch it tonight hopefully so I'll let you know but from what I hear her Best Friend has been replaced by a new actress who isn't as good looking but is far less annoying


Well thats a step in the right direction.

Re: Tru Blood - New HBO Series

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:49 pm
by Fried Gold
So has it starting airing already?

Someone needs to make thread to let all us UKers know when stuff starts, else we won't be able to watch it via highly illegal download.

Re: Tru Blood - New HBO Series

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:51 pm
by stereosforgeeks
Fried Gold wrote:So has it starting airing already?

Someone needs to make thread to let all us UKers know when stuff starts, else we won't be able to watching it via highly illegal download.


last night was the premier of entourage and True Blood on HBO.

Re: Tru Blood - New HBO Series

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:10 pm
by John-Locke
There is a PREAIR of Episode 2 available too if you know where to look

Re: Tru Blood - New HBO Series

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:25 pm
by Fried Gold
It seems they've reinstated the "e" in the title now.

True Blood stinks a lot less of Tru Calling now.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:04 pm
by stereosforgeeks
Fried Gold wrote:It seems they've reinstated the "e" in the title now.

True Blood stinks a lot less of Tru Calling now.



Fixed.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:03 pm
by Evil Hobbit
I loved it. Good pacing, good acting, interesting plot. I'm intrigued.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:05 am
by RogueScribner
I just finished watching the first episode and I thought it was merely okay. Interesting premise, but it seemed a bit disjointed in places and many of the characters were rather more like caricatures. The series isn't really sardonic, it's just a bit stereotypical. I'll give it a few more eps to see if it finds its way because I do like the premise and Anna Paquin is teh hotness. :mrgreen:

One thing I found odd was the placement of the vampire fangs. I've seen vampire teeth where they're all jacked up or the canines protrude, but I can't recall ever seeing the incisors do that. It reminded me of a snake more than anything. Maybe that was intentional.

Re: True Blood - New HBO Series (Now w/ 100% More e!)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:40 am
by Retardo_Montalban
I don't give a shit about continuity, they have to change the way them fangs pop out. It's like they all have switch blades in their mouth. It's just super mechanical looking and lame.

Re: True Blood - New HBO Series (Now w/ 100% More e!)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:16 am
by VegasRon
Just watched the pilot and second ep back to back.

They toned down the annoyance factor of the best friend, which is good, cuz she's hot. However, everyone else is still a bad cliche. I'll give it time to flesh out, though the paquin character arc is pretty obvious, because I like the premise. Ep 2 ends pretty cheesily.

I'm more interested in Sons of Anarchy and possibly Fringe, for new programming, so far.

Re: True Blood - New HBO Series (Now w/ 100% More e!)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:59 am
by Fried Gold
I seem to remember Six Feet Under having fairly cliched characters when it started, who were later developed a bit more. (although that's only what I've been told as I gave up on Six Feet Under after a while)...

Re: True Blood - New HBO Series (Now w/ 100% More e!)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:07 pm
by maxweaver
this show sucked. I was severly disapointed because I love Sixfeet. The fact that they didn't go into why/how she is psychic, the dialouge, everything in this first episode was pretty sloppy