Ron Moore's Virtuality

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Ron Moore's Virtuality

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:47 pm

Didn't see a topic on this one yet. The Futon Critic has a script review for the pilot of Virtuality, a new Fox sci-fi series. It sounds like the basic plot is: group of people man a deep space mission in the reasonably near future (sometime in the 21st century) that is co-funded by NASA and a large corporation. While the purpose of the mission is exploration, the corporation's funding has bought them what amounts to a new reality show. The ship has been covered with cameras for broadcast back to earth. Meanwhile, the crew are required to use virtual reality units to get "downtime" given that the round trip mission will take 10 years...and apparently there is a history of crews going insane from being cooped up so long. But there are some strange happenings going on in the virtual world....

Sounds a little silly, but it could be really interesting and cool if done well. The description above almost makes it sound like a comedy, but I don't think it is. I'm sure there will be humorous moments but the Futon Critic compares it to BSG which it describes as "hard sci-fi".

The Futon Critic person LOVED the script and said that it could be the "next big sci-fi thing" after BSG ends. Below is the script review.

BEWARE SPOILERS

Futon Critic's script review of Ron Moore's Virtuality

Color me intrigued....
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Re: Ron Moore's Virtuality

Postby Peven on Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:59 pm

sounds a little like an "Event Horizon"/"Solaris" remix.........

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:07 pm

I was originally thinking ron moore took the holo-deck concept a little to far, but after reading that script review I'm pretty damn excited. I can definitely see this being some damn cool tv.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:52 am

The pilot aired last night apparently and has been reviewed as being "quite good".

Page here has a good round-up - http://trekmovie.com/2009/06/26/briefin ... g-tonight/
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:01 am

First thing that came to mind was Virtuosity.

I think I threw up a little in my mouth at that exact moment.

Oh god, Crowe and Denzel wasted.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:07 am

papalazeru wrote:First thing that came to mind was Virtuosity.

I think I threw up a little in my mouth at that exact moment.

Oh god, Crowe and Denzel wasted.

Yeah the title reeks of mid-to-late 90s I.T. based crime thrillers.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:56 pm

I thought the pilot was really well done. It felt like a full developed world right from the beginning.

Hope the ratings are good enough to warrant a pickup as it cant be that expensive with minimal sets, and the limited cast. Although the effects were pretty extensive.

Id much rather have this than Caprica.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Fievel on Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:27 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:I thought the pilot was really well done. It felt like a full developed world right from the beginning.

Hope the ratings are good enough to warrant a pickup as it cant be that expensive with minimal sets, and the limited cast. Although the effects were pretty extensive.

Good to hear a positive review from the Zone.
I have it on my DVR waiting to be watched.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby DennisMM on Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:10 am

I recorded it, but have yet to watch it.

My understanding is that it's DOA. They didn't pick it up; that's why they aired it in the death slot rather than at a decent time when more people might take a look at it.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:57 am

DennisMM wrote:I recorded it, but have yet to watch it.

My understanding is that it's DOA. They didn't pick it up; that's why they aired it in the death slot rather than at a decent time when more people might take a look at it.

Well they didnt air it on 4th of july so that's better. They also had the cast doing a whole bunch of press beforehand too. These are 2 positive signs but most likely it will never go beyond the pilot unless the ratings/dvd sales warrant it.

Which they do not
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby papalazeru on Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:27 am

As Englands lord and Mayor Boris Johnson once said about Liverpool,

they are all 'Hooked on grief'

papalazeru

Postby papalazeru on Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:37 pm

I didn't like the show much.

I didn't feel it had promise, it was meandering, it's material that's all been done to death before nd the ending was lame.

Maybe more could be explained away in a series but for me, that opening wasn't great. If developed over say 4 eps would it get better? Don't know, it looks like we've heard it all before but it is Moore so I'm in two minds on this.

papalazeru

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:42 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:I thought the pilot was really well done. It felt like a full developed world right from the beginning.

Not sure if I would much rather have this than Caprica, but I will say that I loved the pilot/film. I watched it last night on Hulu and was extremely impressed. I found myself clamoring for more. The world, as stereo rightly says, is fully realized from the world go. It correctly uses sign posts from other sci-fi properties to establish a familiarity, which ultimately leads the viewer to accept the world.

Unfortunately, some asshole on hulu spoiled the ending for me (when I scroll down to see comments I am looking for whether or not it was well liked, not for you to fucking spoil the ending in the first sentence asshole), but beyond that I had very little to complain about. It makes me wish Peter Berg stuck only to TV. I adore FNL and now this.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:08 pm

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/41792 - the show is "dead" in terms of Fox being involved.

They're talking of international involvement, which was how Battlestar Galactica was kept going (remember that Sky co-financed it).
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:51 pm

w0o0o0o0o! Would the show still be broadcast on Fox (didn't click the link), or what?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:36 pm

Ribbons wrote:w0o0o0o0o! Would the show still be broadcast on Fox (didn't click the link), or what?

Nope. Fox turned it down for a proper series, after the ratings for the pilot (in a rubbish timeslot) weren't very good.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:40 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
Ribbons wrote:w0o0o0o0o! Would the show still be broadcast on Fox (didn't click the link), or what?

Nope. Fox turned it down for a proper series, after the ratings for the pilot (in a rubbish timeslot) weren't very good.

Not to mention that I don't remember seeing a single commercial for it.
Zero promotion.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Ribbons on Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:53 pm

I finished Battlestar Galactica sometime last week, and just got around to watching this. While it'll take me a while to slog through the comments in that thread, I figured I'd post a couple thoughts on the D.O.A. Virtuality now.

I thought it was a really good pilot and it's a damn shame it didn't get picked up, basically. Yes, there are some major sci-fi cliches at play. The set looked cribbed straight out of Sunshine, there's a possibly malevolent computer, a traitor/spy on board, an ill-fated repair job outside, and a planet hangs in the balance -- or does it? How much of the b-roll coming in from the corporation that funded the mission and are paying the resident psychiatrist/computer technician to generate drama for their reality show can be trusted? How much can anything, or anyone, be trusted? That's the hook behind this show, where nothing is as it seems. And, like Ron Moore and Michael Taylor's work on BSG, it busts as many cliches as it borrows.

Although a lot of people are bringing up Ron Moore's various TV shows involving holodecks and the like, and there are some obvious similarities to Battlestar Galactica, I actually felt Lloyd Braun's fingerprints on this one. Right away the premise of "scripted reality show" jumped out at me as being eerily reminiscent of what he was trying to do with Lost over at ABC (anyone who's read about the history of the show will know what I mean) -- in fact a few minutes before I saw his name appear in the credits. And -- MAJOR SPOILER ALERT -- in a twist that will probably not surprise as many people as they thought it would, the leader of the ship (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau) does in fact die at the end of the first episode, which Jack did in early drafts of Lost's pilot, leaving his love interest (Sienna Guillory) behind as the de facto main character.

Peter Berg and Ron Moore are a match made in heaven, as anyone who's seen Friday Night Lights will know, and he does great work with the pilot here. Everybody does great work. It's just a shame nothing came of it. I knew going in that this was all there was of Virtuality, but at the end I was more frustrated than I expected not just because it's good, but because there are so many tantalizing questions that it's hard to know where to start. I guess Fox solved that problem for us, though.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Return to Coaxial