Star Wars TV Series (w/ 104% More Boba Fett! Confirmed!)

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Re: Star Wars TV Series (w/ 104% More Boba Fett! Confirmed!)

Postby TheButcher on Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:04 am

From The Force.net:
Live-Action Series Concept Illustrator Q&A
Our friend Tagne from the French site Starwars-Universe.com noticed that a few concept artists/illustrators were already listed on the IMDB page for the live-action series. One of the concept illustrators, Jonathan Bach, was nice enough to participate in a short Q&A.

"Could you tell us what your work exactly is?

I am a concept artist and work in many capacities with many different parties in order to bring ideas from words to images. Sometimes I'll work freely in order to provide ideas to a client who is still forming a loose picture of a project, while at other times if a project is further along I'll provide visual solutions to meet specific requirements whether that be from a director, production designer, art director, etc.

How many times did you work with Lucasfilm? What can you say about the Star Wars live-action project?

I was fortunate enough to work for Lucasfilm for about 2 years (until the end of 2009). Working on the show was an incredibly rare and exciting opportunity and I am extremely grateful to have contributed to the deep mythology that is Star Wars. The live-action series is still in development and of course as such I can not give any details. However, I will say that it is quite different than anything that has come before it in the Star Wars
universe and will certainly be worth the wait.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:02 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fievel on Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:57 pm

'Star Wars' Live-Action TV Series In A Holding Pattern, Says George Lucas

George Lucas wrote:The live action TV show is kind of on hold because we have scripts, but we don't know how to do 'em. Because, they literally are Star Wars, only we're going to have to try to do them ... a tenth the cost. And, it's a huge challenge ... lot bigger than what we thought it was gonna be.

My first thought on reading this was that the overall scope of what they planned was too large for a series and that they wouldn't be able to make the money on TV that they would if released theatrically. I still wish that Lucas would drop this whole story and jump back to the Old Republic days.... but that's just me.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby ONeillSG1 on Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:11 pm

Fievel wrote:'Star Wars' Live-Action TV Series In A Holding Pattern, Says George Lucas

George Lucas wrote:The live action TV show is kind of on hold because we have scripts, but we don't know how to do 'em. Because, they literally are Star Wars, only we're going to have to try to do them ... a tenth the cost. And, it's a huge challenge ... lot bigger than what we thought it was gonna be.

My first thought on reading this was that the overall scope of what they planned was too large for a series and that they wouldn't be able to make the money on TV that they would if released theatrically. I still wish that Lucas would drop this whole story and jump back to the Old Republic days.... but that's just me.

Old Republic or Post OT. Either one has so much potential for storytelling.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby RaulMonkey on Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:35 pm

Post OT would be great, without paying any attention to Timothy Zahn's trilogy of novels ("Heir to the Empire" etc.) or any of the other books or comics. No knock against them, but I'd love for the writers to be completely free to explore their imaginations and give us fresh STAR WARS, without having to work toward future continuity. Set it a hundred years after ROTJ if you have to. Just advance the story already.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby Fievel on Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:41 pm

RaulMonkey wrote:Post OT would be great, without paying any attention to Timothy Zahn's trilogy of novels ("Heir to the Empire" etc.) or any of the other books or comics. No knock against them, but I'd love for the writers to be completely free to explore their imaginations and give us fresh STAR WARS, without having to work toward future continuity. Set it a hundred years after ROTJ if you have to. Just advance the story already.

There's a comic series out right now called Legacy that is set 125 years after ROTJ and features a descendant of Luke as the main character. I like it because it doesn't have so much canon/continuity to worry about, yet still features a hint of familiarity here and there, so I could dig that type of jump ahead.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby RogueScribner on Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

i'd love an Old Republic TV show. You get to see the Jedi and Sith in their prime, but sew the seeds for what's to come. A post-OT series could work too. But yeah, basically do anything outside of Skywalker time line please.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Peven on Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:25 am

this show almost writes itself......

set in post OT...

it is a "buddy" show......

main characters are....

...the 20-something yr old daughter of Han Solo and Leia and the son of Chewbacca

don't say anything right way....let it settle in...

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:46 am

the will-they-or-won't-they sexual tension would be too much to bear.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:05 am

RaulMonkey wrote:Post OT would be great, without paying any attention to Timothy Zahn's trilogy of novels ("Heir to the Empire" etc.) or any of the other books or comics. No knock against them, but I'd love for the writers to be completely free to explore their imaginations and give us fresh STAR WARS, without having to work toward future continuity. Set it a hundred years after ROTJ if you have to. Just advance the story already.

Agreed. I would expect that a post OT series would probably have pretty free reign, perhaps incorporating expanded universe elements where logical/convenient and ignoring anything that isn't, which is pretty much what Lucas did for the PT. The name "Coruscant" and its description as an all-city capital planet, for example, was originally penned by Zahn in Heir to the Empire, and it made it into the PT, but the PT conflicts with a bunch of other books in different places. I think Lucas's position has always been that the books, video games, etc., are only "canon" to the extent that he wants them to be...
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:45 am

Lord Voldemoo wrote:I think Lucas's position has always been that the books, video games, etc., are only "canon" to the extent that he wants them to be...

unfortunately, that's his position with the OT as well...
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheButcher on Tue May 31, 2011 7:58 pm

DEADLINE VIDEO:
George Lucas Has 50 Hours Of Scripts For 'Star Wars' Series
George Lucas gave a long-winded explanation of why the re-release of the Star Wars prequel trilogy will be important, in an interview with G4's Attack of the Show. Personally, I was underwhelmed by the prequel and am not as sparked up for a 3D conversion as I would if The Lord of the Rings were being converted. But Lucas dropped a nugget that will have Star Wars fans salivating. He said that on his planned Star Wars TV series, he's got 50 completed scripts that are ready to go, if they can just find a way to chop down the cost of shooting them. That's a lot of Star Wars, and Lucas seems determined to find a way to get them done. Here's the interview, and you might also notice that Lucas does the chat with Disney Imagineering's Tom Fitzgerald. He must be a silent partner in this operation, because Lucas doesn't even let him get a word in:
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby DennisMM on Tue May 31, 2011 8:19 pm

REALITY: George Lucas has 5 hours of decent scripts for TV Star Wars.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue May 31, 2011 8:30 pm

DennisMM wrote:REALITY: George Lucas has 5 hours of decent scripts for TV Star Wars.

Reality Part 2. They're not gonna be live action, but over CGI animation again. All that money saved on actual sets just to go on green paint and a new Mac. That's how he's really gonna make it.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby TheButcher on Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:25 am

From Bleeding Cool:
Star Wars TV Series Has Third-Draft Scripts, Will Shoot In Czech Republic
Brendon Connelly wrote:There’s been some misinformation and misinterpretation bouncing around of late, in respect of the Star Wars live-action TV series. I can’t have been the only one who, seeing George Lucas pop up on the BBC’s coverage of the Grand Prix today, hope that they’d grill him to set the record straight. They didn’t. They spoke to him about the weather.

The best info comes from Rick McCallum, producer of the prequels and the in-development show, in conversation with Czech Position. Recently, McCallum and Lucasfilm shot Red Tails in the Czech Republic, so the question arose about using the same resources and stages for the planned Star Wars show:

Oh, absolutely. This would be one of the primary places because of the talent…

But when? He went on:
The TV series is on hold, but that has nothing to do with the Czech Republic; it has to do with [the episodes being] so ambitious.

And McCallum also clarified the nature of this ambition:
We have 50 hours of third-draft scripts, but the problem we have is there is a lot of digital animation; we don’t have the technology yet to be able to do them at a price that is safe for television. Since we would be financing them, it would be suicide for us to do this… So we are going to wait three or four years.

Though McCallum does fear that, by then, TV may have become nothing more than a morass of reality shows. At least he says he fears that, but does anybody really believe it’s going to get so bad that drama will disappear from the networks completely?

Not that the networks seem like an ideal home for this particular show. The way McCallum pitches it, the series sounds an awful lot like a strand of The Wire, just a long time ago and in a galaxy far away:
Basically, it is like The Godfather; it’s the Empire slowly building up its power base around the galaxy, what happens in Coruscant, which is the major capital, and it’s a group of underground bosses who live there and control drugs, prostitution.

Star Wire it is, then. And if we want to see it, all we have to do is boycott Dancing With The Stars and its ilk for four years.

Deal.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:17 am

Bleeding Cool wrote:Deal.

No I don't think so.

This...
Shit McCallum wrote:is there is a lot of digital animation

Doouuhhhh......!! (Which means I think this is shit)

And this...
Struggling Background Artist McCallum wrote: it’s the Empire slowly building up its power base around the galaxy, what happens in Coruscant, which is the major capital, and it’s a group of underground bosses who live there and control drugs, prostitution.

I don't want/need to see this. It's prequelitis irrelevantis unnecesarinessness.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Re: Star Wars: Underworld

Postby TheButcher on Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:56 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fievel on Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:41 am

Best part of that article is the picture used.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby so sorry on Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:06 am

Fievel wrote:

Best part of that article is the picture used.

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Awesome...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:01 am

this show better have kate beckinsale in a supertight latex outfit, or else lucas will have raped my adulthood as well.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Re: STAR WARS UNDERWORLD

Postby TheButcher on Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:02 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:49 pm

ABC to Consider Live-Action STAR WARS TV Series
Adam Chitwood wrote:The sticking point for getting this show off the ground was always money. Each episode was budgeted at around $5 million, which is a lot in the world of television. Moreover, Lucasfilm wanted to retain ownership of the series, giving whichever network aired the show a smaller cut of the profit. Now that Disney owns both Lucasfilm and ABC, obviously the network is going to look into possibly making the show. ABC president Paul Lee had this to say to EW:
“We’d love to do something with Lucasfilm, we’re not sure what yet. We haven’t even sat down with them. We’re going to look at [the live-action series], we’re going to look at all of them, and see what’s right. We weren’t able to discuss this with them until [the acquisition] closed and it just closed. It’s definitely going to be part of the conversation.”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:52 pm

ABC to look at 'Star Wars' live-action TV series
James Hibberd wrote:ABC entertainment president Paul Lee says he’s going to take a look at the long-gestating Star Wars live-action TV series now that the Disney deal to acquire Lucasfilm is complete.

“We’d love to do something with Lucasfilm, we’re not sure what yet,” Lee exclusively told EW. “We haven’t even sat down with them. We’re going to look at [the live-action series], we’re going to look at all of them, and see what’s right. We weren’t able to discuss this with them until [the acquisition] closed and it just closed. It’s definitely going to be part of the conversation.”

Even many working in Hollywood don’t realize a live-action Star Wars TV series has been sitting on the shelf the past few years. The project was commissioned by longtime Lucasfilm producer Rick McCallum, who enlisted writers such as Battlestar Galactica‘s Ron Moore and swore them to NDA secrecy on the plot details (more on the show’s storyline below). Fifty scripts were written. McCallum once called the scripts the most “provocative, bold and daring material that we’ve ever done.”

And then … nothing.

The scripts gathered dust, the scope of the production and the extent of the show’s necessary visual effects deemed too expensive for a broadcast or cable network. The president of one premium cable outlet told me last summer the project just didn’t make any financial sense. The closest comparison was HBO’s lavish Game of Thrones. But that deal gave HBO control of a major chunk of the Thrones empire, including DVD and international distribution which significantly offset the show’s high production cost. The Star Wars show was budgeted at more than $5 million per episode and Lucasfilm wanted to retain ownership.

But now Disney has purchased Lucasfilm for $4 billion and Disney owns more than a couple TV networks. The financials for a big-budget TV show are more compelling if the license fee and other income sources stay in the family. Already one Star Wars-related project is in the works for kids network Disney XD. Cartoon Network’s popular and innovative animated title The Clone Wars will likely shift to XD after its current deal expires. Could the live-action show finally see the light of day too? It’s a tricky question because a new Star Wars film is planned for 2015. Cautious brand managers are sometimes reluctant to have a live-action TV show on the air when producing live-action films — such as Warner Bros. putting the kibosh on any Batman TV projects while making Christopher Nolan’s trilogy.

Lee said he wasn’t sure if the project was still viable. “It’s going to be very much up to the Lucasfilm brands how they want to play it,” he said. “We got to a point here with Marvel, a very special point, where we’re in the Marvel universe, and very relevantly so, but we’re not doing The Avengers. But S.H.I.E.L.D. is part of The Avengers. So maybe something oblique is the way to [approach the Star Wars universe] rather than going straight head-on at it.”

Sources say the live-action series centers on the story of rival families struggling over the control of the seedy underside of the Star Wars universe and the people who live within the subterranean level and air shafts of the metropolis planet Coruscant (the Empire’s urban-sprawl-covered home planet). A bounty hunter may be the main character. Set between the original Star Wars film trilogy and the prequels, the time period allows for all sorts of potential appearances from classic figures from the Star Wars universe.

Extensive art work including character designs, costume designs, and set designs were all developed by a top team of concept artists and designers who worked for more than a year on the third floor design studio at George Lucas’s Skywalker Ranch’s main house on the project. The team was closely supervised by McCallum and Lucas.

If all this sounds vaguely familiar, it might be because this roughly matches the description of the upcoming Star Wars videogame 1313. In fact, sources say story materials and the designs for the TV project were used to help make the game. So if you want to see what the TV show was supposed to look like, check out art from 1313 (one example above). This creative strip-mining could arguably help the TV show’s chances — it’s not like Hollywood has been shy about doing crossovers between videogames and films before.

Can you imagine that ultra-hypothetical ABC Sunday-night lineup? Once Upon a Time, Star Wars: 1313 and S.H.I.E.L.D?
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:59 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:35 pm

Disney CFO Talks 'Star Wars,' ESPN Competition, Deal Outlook
Georg Szalai wrote:Discussing key growth drivers for Disney, he said he expected growth contributions from all units in the coming years. After the recent box office successes of Marvel, Lucasfilm's Star Wars VII, set for a 2015 release, will be a key driver of Disney's studio performance, Rasulo said. He also said there will be much more in terms of Star Wars consumer products on offer around that release. Overall, he said investors should expect Lucasfilm to follow the successful Marvel path now that it is part of Disney as the company would look to push its content across various Disney and other platforms just like in the case of the Marvel acquisition.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:00 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:57 pm

Star Wars TV Show: Moore's Argument with Lucas
Ronald D. Moore reveals how he once lost an argument to George Lucas over the failed live-action Star Wars TV show
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:33 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:09 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:24 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:28 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:29 pm

Bob Iger Hints At Streaming Service Plans For Marvel And ‘Star Wars’
David Lieberman wrote:The Disney CEO tossed in the possibility of new direct-to-consumer offerings in response to a question, in a call with analysts, about the company’s involvement with Dish Network’s new Sling TV streaming service. There’s “definitely an opportunity” for Disney to do something more involving ESPN as well as “other Disney brands…. We think we have that opportunity with a Disney branded service. We may have an opportunity with a Marvel type product and possibly even Star Wars.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:08 pm

Rumor: Live Action Star Wars TV Show Close But Waiting on Movies; Could Star Character From Books
Germain Lussier wrote:There will be a live action Star Wars TV show. That’s not me using The Force either, it’s a fact. When Disney bought Lucasfilm one of the things they were most excited about was the possibility of putting a Star Wars show on ABC, just like they did with Marvel. It’s going to happen. The only question is “when?”

With Marvel’s show, the company exhibited patience. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D didn’t premiere until Fall 2013, which was after Iron Man 3 was released. So there was already seven Marvel movies in the can to raise awareness and help build that world. There were also two movies (Thor: The Dark World and Captain America: The Winter Soldier) coming right after that to tie into the film.

The latest rumor about the live action Star Wars TV show is Disney wants to employ a similar strategy. They are waiting to launch the TV series until the movies are in full swing. Also, it could star a character who first gets introduced in the books. Read more below.

The Star Wars TV Show rumor comes from Cinelinx, so again take it as a rumor. That said, it makes logical sense.

According to their report, the Lucasfilm Story Group is already thinking about the live action show, but they won’t move forward until the production schedules for the movies are more settled. This way, they can jump in and film the show at Pinewood, on the actual sets being used in the movies. (You assume they’d only shoot partially at Pinewood, cause they’ll need their own sets too.) That would also allow the films to create and reintroduce the world to audiences.

As it stands now, we’ve heard Rogue One and Episode VIII will have very little time between productions, maybe even overlapping a bit. Then, who knows what’s happening with the 2018 spin-off and Episode IX. Somewhere in the middle, when the production schedule gets settled, into a groove and the crew has openings, that’s reportedly when the company move forward with the show.

Cinelinx also reports early discussions have the show starring a character from one of the books. Whether that’s a book that’s already out, or coming out, we don’t know for sure. We also don’t know what time period the show would take place in, but if they are using the sets from the movies, it’s almost certainly going to be during the Sequel Trilogy and beyond.

Lots to digest here but it seems like those Star Wars underground scripts George Lucas and team had been working on are going to become a thing of legend. How would you handle a live action Star Wars TV show?
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Star Wars TV Series (w/ 104% More Boba Fett & Jodo Kast

Postby TheButcher on Fri May 08, 2015 9:28 pm

STAR WARS: Star Wars Loves Joss
… Joss Whedon is being courted by team Star Wars RIGHT NOW.
Da7e wrote:Whedon could go in the Trank spot. The Fett movie sounds like a mess. Not only was/is Boba Fett hard to crack for Disney, but now that this is an “origin story” it’s probably going to change everything for one trilogy.

I’m still a fan of the idea that Boba Fett from The Clone Wars somehow dies or passes on the armor to Boba Fett from Empire Strikes Back (no, Boba Fett is not in A New Hope, what’s a Special Edition?). I like this idea because we get to spend the movie with two Boba Fetts, potentially, and a complex relationship that doesn’t reveal itself until you realize they’re both characters we’ve liked from other movies….

...no? Too complex? Can’t kill Boba Fett? I understand your frustration.

The other and more tantalizing option is that Joss Whedon won’t end up primarily directing for the Lucasfilm Story Group, but instead do one of his other jobs that he’s shown himself to be good at. Like script polishing or executive producing a TV show.

Script and story work seems less likely, especially since the Lucasfilm Story Group seems to have that all on lock. Whedon is a good polish and detail man, but he’s getting pretty big for those types of quick-hit story jobs. It’s possible, but not as exciting as the idea of Whedon working on the live-action TV show.

If you haven’t been tracking Star Wars’ long trek to television, it’s been something that even George Lucas toyed with back when he was still running his franchise. The problem with a Star Wars TV series, Lucas-style, was that the man wasn’t building many sets. Most of the prequels existed (and still exist) as little more than digital elements to be manipulated.

Now that Marvel has shown you can semi-successfully boot a TV series inside your unified universe, Star Wars looks viable again and Lucasfilm is smart this time around: Assets are being passed back and forth between films. That means those assets could also be used to lighten the load on a television budget. Want a Hutt character for an episode? Good thing we already have all these Hutts built!

If we assume asset-sharing is going to make the TV show possible, then you have to look at where these movies are placed on the Star Wars timeline: those are around where we’d get our series.

In other words: no Old Republic Era, we’re probably in the “Rise of the Empire” era between Revenge and A New Hope. The other place, obviously, to put it is on the road to The Force Awakens,

Bottom line: Joss Whedon’s circling Star Wars. They are courting him. He is very tired, but - hey! - it’s Star Wars

blastr 1/17/2014:
The The Boba Fett rumor that might rewrite Star Wars
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:17 am

RUMOR: Star Wars Live Action Television Headed For Netflix
Dustin wrote:With the increased popularity of original programming airing on Netflix, and the 2012 deal between the two for Netflix to be the exclusive U.S. subscription television service for Disney's new releases starting in 2016, this is looking to soon become reality.

From Cinelinx.com:
Let's move on to the NEW information I've heard, from a couple of individual sources now. Disney is looking to continue their partnership with Netflix for their Star Wars shows. Yes, I said shows. I've heard there's talk of potentially three different live-action shows for Netflix, in much the same way Marvel has deals in place for Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, etc.

Yes you read that right. Three series are possibly in the works. Get the full scoop here at Cinelinx.com!
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:19 am

STAR WARS LIVE-ACTION TV UPDATE: NETFLIX BOUND! (EXCLUSIVE)
Jordan Maison wrote:We've broken some exciting news regarding a potential live-action Star Wars show in the past, and today brings an update on some of the progress of the potential show(s) and where they could be headed. Come inside to check it out!

I've sat on this news for a little bit in the hopes of learning something a tad more substantial. Sadly, I don't know about when I might hear more so I've decided to run this information as more of a "minor update" on the state of Star Wars TV rather than a meatier scoop for you guys.

Last we heard anything regarding a live-action Star Wars show, was back in March when reports were coming out that Disney was ramping up discussion on a live-action TV show set in the Star Wars universe. We exclusively revealed this was the case, but that Disney were currently in the process of trying to get the schedule down, as they hope to shoot the series between films in order to utilize the same sets.

As far as I know this is still the plan. As we've seen over the recent weeks, Disney/Lucasfilm have firmed up their schedules quite a bit, going so far as to reveal a release date for their SECOND Star Wars Anthology movie, which will once again get back to the May release window. Basically, with schedules more firmly in place, they're looking more and more into their TV options.

Let's move on to the NEW information I've heard, from a couple of individual sources now. Disney is looking to continue their partnership with Netflix for their Star Wars shows. Yes, I said shows. I've heard there's talk of potentially three different live-action shows for Netflix, in much the same way Marvel has deals in place for Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, etc.

Because of the extreme success of Daredevil, Netflix is working with Disney on the cheap and more than happy to continue their relationship. For Lucasfilm this makes a lot of sense, as they want to keep the cinematic feel of the movies going with the TV shows. Netflix allows for such a presentation much better than network television, while also giving them a chance to explore stories and characters which otherwise might not be a good fit somewhere else.

While initial rumors surrounding Star Wars on TV pegged ABC or another Disney owned channel as being the likeliest spot for a series (like Agents of SHIELD), that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. Let's look at the facts, Netflix and other online options are quickly overtaking regular TV. This year's Emmy nominations are absolutely PACKED with shows from non-traditional sources and in terms of revenue, Netflix is set to overtake network TV very shortly. It's the way the world is moving and Disney is great at keeping with current trends.

They already have a great relationship with Netflix that they intend to keep going (look at yesterday's news about their schedule for the Marvel shows), so why wouldn't they use it for Star Wars as well (especially since they already used the platform to release the final Clone Wars season) In terms of WHICH three shows they're considering, I have no idea, nor a time frame for when they want to start/introduce them. My guess would be a release in 2017, but that's a GUESS and nothing more.

Like I said, it's a smaller update on what's going on with live-action Star Wars TV plans and I wish I had some more information on what's in store. In the meantime some information is better than nothing and it's nice to hear that not only are live-action shows still being considered, but plans are starting to fall into place for them.

What do you guys think? Is Netflix the best place for the live-action Star Wars shows? What would you want them to be about?

-Jordan
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: THE STAR WARS SHOW

Postby TheButcher on Thu May 12, 2016 5:57 am

THE STAR WARS SHOW IS HERE!
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:58 pm

‘Star Wars’: Live-Action TV Show in Discussion at ABC
We all want a live-action 'Star Wars' series, but do we want it from ABC?
HALEIGH FOUTCH wrote:During ABC’s presentation at the Television Critics Association press tour, the network’s newly hired president Channing Dungey revealed that they are in active conversations with Lucasfilm to bring the Star Wars universe life on TV with a live-action series.

Speaking with the press, Dungey said,
Oh, as a fan, I would absolutely love to say ‘yes.’ The conversations with Lucas, we have had conversations with them and will continue to have conversations with them. I think it would be wonderful if we could find a way to extend that brand into our programming.

While the fact that any network would “absolutely love” a Star Wars TV show falls under “no shit” territory, it’s an interesting comment because it’s a bit of 180 since the network’s last official comments on the matter. Back in January, former ABC Boss Paul Lee told reporters, “we don’t have any plans at the moment,” and stated that their focus would remain on the animated universe.
“It’s all a little bit hush, hush…That company [Lucasfilm] exists under a huge banner of secrecy. If you thought Marvel was secretive, Lucas takes it to a whole other level… We don’t have an official timeline yet.”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Star Wars: Underworld 2018?

Postby TheButcher on Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:06 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Previous

Return to Coaxial