HBO's Manhunt (David Simon and Tom Fontana)

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:42 pm

An Abraham Lincoln Tale
Variety wrote:"Homicide" collaborators David Simon and Tom Fontana are looking to reunite for an HBO miniseries about the 12-day search for John Wilkes Booth.

HBO won't comment on the adaptation of James L. Swanson's book "Manhunt," which follows the search for Abraham Lincoln's assassin. The project is in early development, with the pay cabler optioning the tome and Simon and Fontana set to pen the screenplay.

Simon and Fontana would serve as exec producers, along with Lawrence Bender, Kevin Brown and Walden Media.

Story will focus on the perspectives of lesser-known historical figures that were connected to the assassination of Lincoln and the subsequent media frenzy and manhunt.

"Manhunt" would mark the first collaboration since Fontana helped Simon adapt his book "Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets" into an NBC cop drama back in 2003.

Development comes on the heels of another HBO history-based multipart series, "John Adams," which garnered 23 Emmy noms.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Re: HBO's Manhunt (David Simon and Tom Fontana)

Postby MonkeyM666 on Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:19 am

For a second there I thought that this was about the highly violent video game.... Manhunt. :lol:

Maybe not...:)
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:01 pm

Dr. Mudd's grandson would come to the local middle school every year and talk to the eighth graders about his grandfather's role in the whole ordeal. He (the grandson) led a pretty admirable campaign to get his grandfather's name cleared. I hope the series doesn't make Dr. Mudd to be an actual conspirator.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Ribbons on Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:06 pm

That's what he gets for helping kill Lincoln! Or... wait... what were you saying?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fievel on Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:24 pm

Ha!

The Mudd family has claimed all along that Dr. Mudd was wrongly convicted and had no part in the assassination conspiracy.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:34 pm

Fievel wrote:Dr. Mudd's grandson would come to the local middle school every year and talk to the eighth graders about his grandfather's role in the whole ordeal. He (the grandson) led a pretty admirable campaign to get his grandfather's name cleared. I hope the series doesn't make Dr. Mudd to be an actual conspirator.

Probably depends on what the book says ;)
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Evil Hobbit on Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:54 am

The more David Simon series the better!
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby scottlackey on Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Even though HBO won't comment, I just finished reading Manhunt, with an eye to this focus. Here's a detailed look at how some of the minor characters may be treated.
It's worth your time if you're really interested in where this project may be headed.
http://cablemarketing.blogspot.com/2008 ... story.html

Scott Lackey
Jugular Advertising
New York, New York
scottlackey
GLIB

Postby Gheorghe Zamfir on Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:17 pm

I remember picking up this book when it was a Harrison Ford project, I wasn't at all familiar with the story of Booth's capture and reading the synopsis it sounded pretty fascinating (a Civil War era "The Fugitive").

Except, after reading it, while I did find the history of it quite fascinating and it was a worthwhile read, I was, and am still curious about its prospects as an movie/television project. I thought it'd be the story of wily Booth eluding the Union army as they tracked his movements, finding themselves just one step behind. Bt the Union never really had any clue as to where he was, as an investigation its pretty basic, put out an army of guys (literally) to swarm the area and wait for tips from the public. And the escape wasn't that crafty either, ultimately he eluded capture for so long for no reason other than he simply wasn't moving as fast as they thought he would be, and that wasn't wit, it was just due to injury and stupidity (like rowing the wrong way in the river, of course the Union didn't find him, no one expected him to be escaping north on the Potomac river!). I read it thinking it'd be ripe for a Coen's brothers treatment (Booth's constant perplexment at not being received as a hero, for whatever reason, struck me similar to Clooney's goofy misguided charm in O Brother). Not saying it can't be something quite compelling, especially from someone like Simon, I'll just be curious to find out how they do it.
Gheorghe Zamfir
REAL DRAGON

Postby Ribbons on Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:58 am

This is probably not happening now, but for the record I can totally see where the option to series came from. I just finished reading the book (which kicked ass), and besides for the obvious historical interest, the narrative is constructed very similar to the sprawling ensembles of Simon's other shows, like The Wire and Treme. It would have been exciting to see him take a crack at this material, but I guess it wasn't meant to be.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Return to Coaxial