Sam Kinison oh! OH! OOOOOOHHHHH!

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Sam Kinison oh! OH! OOOOOOHHHHH!

Postby TheButcher on Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:40 pm

From Variety: 'Brother Sam' set for HBO

MICHAEL FLEMING wrote:HBO launched comic Sam Kinison's star, and now the pay web will memorialize his life and death with "Brother Sam," a film Tom Shadyac will direct.

Dan Fogler will play the manic comic.

Basis for the telepic is "Brother Sam: The Short, Spectacular Life of Sam Kinison," a memoir written by his brother and manager, Bill Kinison, and Steve Delsohn. A new script has been written by Shari Springer Berman and Robert Pulcini, the writer-directors of "American Splendor."

David Permut is producing in a co-production of Permut Presentations and Shadyac's Shady Acres. Steve Longi is co-producer and Bill Kinison is exec producer.

Shadyac and Permut spent eight years trying to get the project made as a feature at Universal Pictures, but the project stalled and seems a better fit at HBO, which just set up a biopic of Washington Post publisher Katharine Graham for Laura Linney to star in and Robert Benton to direct, based on a Joan Didion script.

Kinison's star was launched by an appearance on HBO's Rodney Dangerfield-hosted "Young Comedians" special in 1984. Fogler is the Tony-winning star of "The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee," who transitioned to features with "Balls of Fury."

Tony Winner Dan Fogler's Screen Test as Sam Kinison
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Sam Kinison oh! OH! OOOOOOHHHHH!

Postby Vegeta on Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:54 pm

Ha, I literally was just joking with my brother on the phone about Sam Kinison. I was basically comparing what the US gov't is doing about the economy to Sam's necrophelia joke ("You mean they can f!@# you in the a$$ even after your dead? It never ends, IT NEVER ENDS!"). What a pleasant coincedence!
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby The Vicar on Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:07 pm

Vegeta wrote:Ha, I literally was just joking with my brother on the phone about Sam Kinison. I was basically comparing what the US gov't is doing about the economy to Sam's necrophelia joke ("You mean they can f!@# you in the a$$ even after your dead? It never ends, IT NEVER ENDS!"). What a pleasant coincedence!

That bit is hi-larious. I've got the ( rare) VHS of that performance - before the over indulgence and abuse had taken root.
Having his mom and Hugh Hefner in the same audience had to be a least a little trippy, nu?
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby minstrel on Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:38 pm

Too bad Shadyac's directing. The guy's a hack.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Fievel on Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:55 pm

I think Fogler bears a decent resemblance.
Good casting decision there.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby ONeillSG1 on Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:15 am

I miss Kinison. Especially when he was on Stern.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby theunforgettablefire on Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:08 pm

Hopefully they do the big guy justice. Will it end with Sam going through the windshield of his Pontiac? Only time will tell.
theunforgettablefire
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby TheButcher on Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:25 am

From Variety:
HBO on laugh track with Sam Kinison film - Story of late comedian headed to bigscreen
Dave McNary wrote:HBO Films has decided to give the bigscreen treatment to the late Sam Kinison.

The company's developing a biopic of the outrageous comic with Tom Shadyac attached to direct and Rich Wilkes writing. Story is based on the memoir "Brother Sam: The Short, Spectacular Life of Sam Kinison" by Bill Kinison and Steve Delson.

Shadyac and David Permut -- who have been attempting for a decade to get the Kinison project going -- are exec producing. Permut Presentations exec Steve Longi is co-exec producer.

Story will trace Kinison's rise as the son of a preacher to be one of the most cutting-edge and significant comedians of his era. Kinison first came into the public eye with an appearance on HBO's Rodney Dangerfield-hosted "Young Comedians" special in 1984. His comedy often pivoted on his former role as an evangelist, with his first album titled "Louder Than Hell."

Kinison made his film debut in 1986 in Dangerfield's "Back to School," playing an angry professor. He died in a traffic accident in 1992.

Shadyac and Permut had "Brother Sam" set up at Universal for many years before taking the project to HBO, where it was first developed as a TV movie with Dan Fogler starring (Daily Variety, Nov. 18, 2008).

Permut's credits include "Face/Off," "Youth in Revolt" and "Charlie Bartlett." Wilkes' scripting credits include the upcoming "Iron Fist" and "The Wheelman."

Shadyac's documentary "I Am" -- which details his recovery from a cycling accident -- has been picked up by Paladin for a February theatrical release. Bigscreen comedy credits include "Ace Ventura: Pet Detective" and "Bruce Almighty."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby The Vicar on Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:03 am

I miss Sam. Not the Sam that was, when the end came, but the one that could be funny as all hell during the front end of his career.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby TheButcher on Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:35 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:36 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Return to Coaxial