POWERS

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

POWERS

Postby TheButcher on Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:36 pm

From MTV @ NYCC: Brian Bendis Confirms Live-Action ‘Powers’ TV Series Headed To FX, First Draft Completed

Rick Marshall wrote:During the first day of New York Comic Con, MTV News sat down with Brian Michael Bendis, one of the primary architects of the Marvel Comics universe, to get an update on the upcoming television adaptation of “Powers,” his comic book series with Michael Avon Oeming that explores a superhero-populated world via the conventions of police procedural drama. Bendis announced late last year that “Powers” would become a television series, but confirmed where the series would air in today’s interview.

“‘Powers’ is in active development as a pilot at FX,” Bendis told MTV. “I just handed in a draft to the network and we’re getting our notes from the network as soon as this thing is over. So next week I’ll get the notes, and as long as they don’t involve sock puppets and some sort of orgy scene that I’m not interested in, then hopefully it will go in the right direction.”

“But they’re a very smart network,” added Bendis. “It seems like the right place for it to be.”

Bendis went on to describe some of the trials and tribulations of bringing the series, which began as an independently published project and was eventually brought under Marvel’s publishing imprint Icon, to the small screen. “Powers” was optioned as a feature film in 2001, but the project never came to fruition.

“When we first sold it as a feature, we were lucky to get it optioned right away by Sony,” said Bendis. “We had to sit through waves of screenplays that were just inappropriate for the product, and for fans of the book. There were whole drafts of the screenplay without Deena Pilgrim [one of the series' two main characters] in them. They’d hand me the screenplay and go, “What’s wrong with this?” and I’d go “He has no one to talk to!”

“After years of that it’s nice to have come out the other side and finally been given my chance to find out what the live-action language of ‘Powers’ is, versus the comic book language of ‘Powers.’”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: POWERS

Postby Ribbons on Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:54 am

Very interesting. Besides for "100 Bullets," I always thought Powers was the comic that would most easily translate to serialized TV.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:00 am

I am going to be honest, I never read a single issue of POWERS. I only briefly flirted with liking BMB, but it never lasted long enough for me to check out POWERS.

I know MasterWhedon was an enormous fan. I have to believe he is giddy as fuck over this news.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:40 am

*spills some juice for his homie MasterWhedon*

Seriously Lecko, you should check Powers out. Unless you categorically hate BMB; it's some of the best work he's ever done.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:49 am

I am also a big fan of Powers and this could be a great show. The only problem I forsee is the budget. Can FX have the budget to do a serialized cop super hero tv show?
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby DennisMM on Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:24 pm

If they play it like the comics, they should be able to minimize the powers use in any given episode. Showing Triphammer might be difficult, but a quick shot of Retro Girl (either one) or Diamond flying, or of a teleporter 'porting, shouldn't be too pricey, I'd think. In fact, I'd like to see them play it with as little powers use as possible, only when necessary for the plot.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby TheButcher on Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:22 pm

Video Interview from G4:
Fresh Ink Online: Brian Michael Bendis Interview Part 2

From MTV:
Brian Bendis Offers Updates On 'Powers' TV Series, 'Thor' And 'Avengers' Movies
Blair Marnell wrote:Earlier this year, it was announced that Brian Michael Bendis’ “Powers” had been optioned as a pilot for FX. And now it appears that the project has taken significant steps forward.

In an interview with G4, Bendis revealed that while the “Powers” TV pilot hasn’t yet been given the green light to shoot, a showrunner and a director are firmly on board.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:00 pm

Bendis video interview at MTV:
'Powers' TV Series Gets New Writer
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fievel on Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:49 pm

.....thought this was a Powers Boothe appreciation thread.
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:58 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:00 pm

I really dug what I saw from Journeyman. Hope this is similar quality.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:46 pm

Bendis mentioned Kevin Falls was writing it months ago in an interview w/ G4, where he first announced Siege. Herc be slow on this one.

I loved me some Journeyman and Falls wrote some great episodes of the later West Wing seasons.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby TheButcher on Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:38 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby DennisMM on Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:21 pm

Hoorah for Powers, boo for Marvelman if they don't get just the right people. I can half imagine them handing this off to Kirkman, who's a wonderful writer but all wrong for a lyrical story.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby TheButcher on Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:59 am

From MTV:
'The Walking Dead' Writer Ditches Zombies For 'Powers' TV Series
Josh Wigler wrote:"The Walking Dead" is off the airwaves until Season Two premieres next year, but it might not be long before we hear about a new comic book television series.

Vulture reports that Charles H. "Chic" Eglee, rumored to have been fired from the staff of "The Walking Dead," is in discussions with FX and Sony Pictures Television to become a writer and executive producer on "Powers," a new series based on the comic books created by Brian Michael Bendis and Michael Avon Oeming.

Bendis confirmed the scoop on Twitter, saying: "OK, I rarely do this, but the Powers TV rumor that hit the net today... confirmed as fact!"
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:31 pm

From IGN:
FX Updates on Powers TV Show
Eric Goldman wrote:While it's been in development for quite some time, there's been a lot of talk of late about FX's potential adaptation of the Brian Michael Bendis comic book Powers – including word of a new writer on the project and some updates from Bendis regarding meetings he's been involved in.

Today at the TCA (Television Critics Association) press tour, I asked FX's president, John Landgraf, if he could give an update on the project. Replied Landgraf, "I'm really excited about what's going on with Powers now. It's funny, it's taken a long time. It's really hard I think to adapt a graphic novel into a successful television show. I realize they did it with Walking Dead, at least in the first six episodes they had on the air, but there have been very few wholly successful adaptations." Landgraf added, "Powers is a really different kind of show than Walking Dead. It's nothing like it."

Remarking on the long time it's taken to get Powers going, Landgraf noted, "We're now on our third writer. It's Chic Eglee who worked on The Shield and worked on Dexter and most recently worked on Walking Dead. And I'm really, really excited about it. I mean, it's gotten better all along, but I think we've had some real creative breakthroughs and I think Chic's doing some really exciting work."

As far as greenlighting a pilot or such, Landgraf said, "I've got nothing to announce, but I just think that project has a lot of momentum right now."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:03 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:19 pm

FX Orders Superhero Detective Pilot 'Powers'
Philiana Ng & Lacey Rose wrote:FX has given the green light to Powers, a project based on the popular comic by Brian Michael Bendis and Michael Avon Oeming.

Powers follows detectives in a homicide department devoted to cases that involve superheroes. The pilot order comes a decade after Sony optioned the rights for a feature film version, which never came to fruition.

Charles Eglee (The Walking Dead, The Shield) wrote the pilot and will serve as an executive producer with Bendis, Oeming, Michael Dinner, David Engel and Circle of Confusion, the company behind The Walking Dead. Dinner, who helmed the Sons of Anarchy and Justified pilots, will also direct.

At one point, Journeyman creator Kevin Falls was attached to adapt.

Sony TV and FX Productions are co-producing the project, which has been in development for several years.

Powers has been in publication for more than a decade, producing a dozen graphic novels and more than 60 issues.

Bendis, well-known for his work on other Marvel titles, including Avengers, X-Men and Ultimate Spider-Man, turned to Twitter to express his enthusiasm.

"Powers pilot was just greenlit by FX,” he shared with his 34,000-plus followers Friday night. “It's official! Your window of reading Powers while it was still cool is running out.”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:36 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:28 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat May 07, 2011 9:52 pm

CABLE CASTINGS: FX Pilot 'Powers' Casts Charles Dutton, 'Californication' Adds Gal
EXCLUSIVE: Charles S. Dutton today became the first actor cast in FX's drama pilot Powers. Based on the graphic novel by Brian Michael Bendis and Michael Avon Oeming, the project, written by Charles H. Eglee and to be directed by Michael Dinner, is a police procedural set in a world where superpowers are relatively common and centers on two detectives, Christian Walker and Deena Pilgrim, in a Homicide department that deals with cases involving "powers" (people with superpowers). Dutton will play Captain Cross, the head of the department. Powers, from Sony Pictures TV and FX Prods., is one of 2 drama pilots FX is eying for a an early January launch.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed May 11, 2011 10:57 pm

Bendis "Powers" Through Comics & Television
Big things are in the works for Brian Bendis' and Mike Oeming's long running creator-owned series "Powers." CBR News spoke with Bendis about the FX television pilot and the future of the comic series.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:30 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:00 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Powers: Who Killed Retro Girl?

Postby TheButcher on Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:09 am

From SHH:
Powers Adds Carly Foulkes
Silas Lesnick wrote:Following the news this past week that Jason Patric and Lucy Punch will play the two leads in the upcoming television adaptation of Brian Michael Bendis' and Michael Avon Oeming's "Powers", comes confirmation that the project has also found its Retro Girl.

"A couple of weeks ago, we cast a woman named Carly Foulkes to be Retro Girl,"
Bendis told the Sirius Radio Show Geektime (via reader Mac_hine), "You're sitting there going, 'Who's that?' That is the super, super cute T-Mobile girl."

The series, headed to FX, deals with a pair of detectives that investigate superhero-related homicides. In the comic book series, Retro Girl is a celebrity heroine whose murder marks the first major case for Christian Walker (Patric) and Deena Pilgrim (Punch). If the comics are any indication, the death of Retro Girl is only the beginning of the exploration into the character's history and her close ties to several of the series' regulars.

The TV series is gearing up to shoot in Chicago this summer. "Powers" launched as a comic book in 2004 from Image Comics and is currently published by Marvel's Icon imprint.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:14 pm

From IGN:
Why FX Thinks Powers Can Reinvent the Superhero Genre
With production on the pilot complete, FX's president discusses the potential new TV series.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:41 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:43 am

Bendis comic 'Powers' set to be the first original series produced for PlayStation
With XBox developing 'Halo,' is this the future of TV?

Sony to Add Original TV Shows for PlayStation
Move Is Part of Effort to Broaden Console's Appeal Beyond Videogames
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:09 pm

David Slade to Direct PlayStation's 'Powers' Adaptation
The live-action series is currently casting, with the "Hannibal" alum set to helm the first two episodes of the show.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:40 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fievel on Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:08 am

Watched the first three episodes last night. I've never read the source material. I was entertained and left very intrigued to see what happens next.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Return to Coaxial