Kings (new NBC series)

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Kings (new NBC series)

Postby Fievel on Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:14 am

I've been seeing commercials for this series for months now.
I'm completely intrigued if for no other reason than the simple fact that it's a new weekly series starring Ian McShane.

Here is the description in its Wikipedia entry:
Kings is an upcoming TV series airing on NBC and Citytv, based on the King David story. The series is set in the modern day metropolis of Shiloh, a city under siege where the fighting has gone on for too long and cost far too many lives. When David Shepherd (Christopher Egan), a brave young soldier, rescues the King's (Ian McShane) son from enemy territory, he sets events in motion that will finally bring peace.

Suddenly, David is thrust into the limelight, earning the affections of women, including the King's daughter. When he's promoted to captain, he becomes the reluctant poster boy for hope. But for David, the line between his allies and enemies will blur as the power players in the kingdom go to great lengths to see him fall and there's no telling who will win.

NBC has a site for it complete with a fictitious news site.

2-hour series premiere on Sunday, March 15.

Anyone else intrigued?
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Re: Kings (new NBC series)

Postby stereosforgeeks on Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:15 am

I will be tuning in for sure.

Lecko saw the pilot so maybe he will write a little bit here for us.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:29 am

I did indeed see the pilot.

It was very good. The scope is incredible for a pilot. I can't see how they can maintain the show with a production that large. The mythos seems quite vast and the idea of monarchs/kingdoms in modern time lends itself to drama.

I am really excited to watch this series.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:14 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:I did indeed see the pilot.

It was very good. The scope is incredible for a pilot. I can't see how they can maintain the show with a production that large. The mythos seems quite vast and the idea of monarchs/kingdoms in modern time lends itself to drama.

I am really excited to watch this series.

Excellent. I've been looking forward to this one too but it seems to be under the radar at the moment. Good to hear it could be a solid series.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Fievel on Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:43 pm

Wow.
Just watched the pilot, and will most definitely be watching this series.

Imagine Al Swearengen from Deadwood, but with more altruistic intentions.... and that is King Silas. Ian McShane is back and on fire in this show, oozing Punky Power in every scene.

Dylan Baker as the wealth that's really pulling the strings? Brilliant.

Eamonn Walker as the high-ranking religious figure? Ultra brilliant!!

I guess the ratings for the pilot were shit. Hopefully this show gets a chance.
Fantastic cast, it looks amazing, and I can't wait to see where it goes.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:30 am

I hadn't heard the ratings were shit. That is too bad. I have made my love for the pilot known here. I hope the show gets a chance, but I have already said how I can't see that happening given how expensive the show is to produce.

And honestly, Sunday nights? Give me a break.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:34 am

Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:25 am

Hurm.

Good news about Dollhouse, though.

Kings will hopefully get 13 eps. Maybe a full season if we're lucky. I wouldn't mind a comic when it gets ousted.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nancy on Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:45 am

I love this show. It is a great drama tv series. I liked episodes 1 and 2 of season 1. I really enjoyed watching them.
Nancy
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Evil Hobbit on Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:09 pm

The only thing these first episodes did for me was make me long for the return of Deadwood and Al Swearengen. McShane is the reason I'll keep watching, not so intrigued yet by the story.
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby Ribbons on Thu May 19, 2011 5:53 pm

Through the magic of Hulu, I've been able to start watching Kings for the first time this week. FOR FREE!

I didn't know much about the plot before; only that Ian McShane was in it, and that the TV spots from back when it first came out looked like commercials for some sort of online university with a butterfly motif. About two and half episodes in and I'm having a hard time figuring out what the story is, but Ian McShane is really good and the direction and production design really helps sell the alternate world the show takes place in.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Bloo on Thu May 19, 2011 6:34 pm

Ribbons wrote:Through the magic of Hulu, I've been able to start watching Kings for the first time this week. FOR FREE!

I didn't know much about the plot before; only that Ian McShane was in it, and that the TV spots from back when it first came out looked like commercials for some sort of online university with a butterfly motif. About two and half episodes in and I'm having a hard time figuring out what the story is, but Ian McShane is really good and the direction and production design really helps sell the alternate world the show takes place in.

it's the Biblical story of David
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Ribbons on Fri May 20, 2011 12:22 am

I was wondering what was up with all those David and Goliath references...

Actually I had read about that on Wikipedia right before I started diving into the series. What I guess I mean is that I don't know where the idea to mash old school kings with a modern-day setting came from. It's cool to say a world that resembles ours but feels slightly off, but I'm not sure if there's a larger point they're trying to make or if it was just like "Hey, wouldn't it be interesting if we did THIS?"
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Bloo on Fri May 20, 2011 1:12 am

I think it's more a "what if" "wouldn't it be cool if" then anything else. Maybe if they had gotten that pickup from miniseries type even to full season they would have delved more into things, I don't know. but this has reminded me, I need to revisit this on DVD I really liked it and purchased it, but haven't watched it since.
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Ribbons on Fri May 20, 2011 2:16 pm

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Ribbons on Sun May 22, 2011 1:49 pm

Not bad, not bad. Ian McShane is a great charismatic leader/villain to build a show around, and Dylan Baker and Eamonn Walker both had small but powerful roles (along those lines, I'm confused about what Eamonn Walker's character actually was. There's a big surprise involving him in the last 15 minutes or so of the series, but there are several instances where he engages in political intrigues and relays stories of personal failings that make him seem, well... human. I may need to re-visit those scenes to look for any spiritual innuendo). They also assembled a great team of directors who were able to make the series look great every time.

The last few episodes were full of all the commensurate twists and turns of a series finale. Actually, maybe too many twists and turns. The characters behaved in ways that I would almost describe as bipolar, saving people's lives valiantly and then trying to kill them 20 minutes later. It seems to me like they tried to cram several seasons' -- or at least a full season's -- worth of plot developments into about an hour. I was also not too big on Chris Egan's character (the young "David"). I don't know how much the show was supposed to be about him, but too often he seemed overshadowed by the more dynamic personalities in the cast. And his romance with the princess felt forced. Still, it was decent, with a lot of well-written stories and interesting ideas about what a modern monarchy would look like.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Return to Coaxial