United States of Tara

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

United States of Tara

Postby tapehead on Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:36 am

Alice lost her imaginary baby because Tara had her period. We got to see Charmaine's old funny boobs, will we get to see her new ones? Marshall is one step closer to leading God-boy astray, Kara has gotten Gene back, and it turns out he's really pretty weird.
Now Gimme is out of the bag and it looks like T and Kara are on a road trip next week.

Created by Diablo Cody, is anyone on the Zone watching?
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Re: United States of Tara

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:42 pm

Honestly this started off really bad. It was generic except for the fact that all the sitcom characters were the same person. It's growing on my though. The father is the only one who is even remotely grounded and he's the only one on the show that doesnt seem edgy for the sake of edgy.

Dumbledore son? check.
Permiscuous daughter? check.
Too knowledgeable for their years? check.
Messed up sister? check.
Weird parents? check.

Why are all the characters have ridiculous issues? ohh because they are funnier that way. It honestly feels like they feel like just making the characters this way just because it makes for better "drama" and not because the characters themselves demand it.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby tapehead on Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:10 pm

I agree - it sort of shouldn't work, but it does, although it's probably not because of the writing, more the actors giving nuance to the characters - and it is a great cast. I thought now that the story was getting interesting enough to warrant discussion, especially since it's getting beyond the predictability of it's premise.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby John-Locke on Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:28 am

This show has really grown on me, I almost gave up after the first episode and I'm glad I didn't. Needs more Patton Oswalt though.

My favourite storyline has to be the Dumbledore son with the crush on the pastors son, the most recent episodes events had me cringing then ecstatic within 10 seconds, it's a really cute romance and I hope it lasts.

I don't particularly like the daughter character, well the choices she makes anyway but I guess thats the point, a lot of teenage girls go through similar things and it's refreshing to actually see this in a TV show.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Maui on Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:26 pm

John-Locke wrote:My favourite storyline has to be the Dumbledore son with the crush on the pastors son, the most recent episodes events had me cringing then ecstatic within 10 seconds, it's a really cute romance and I hope it lasts.

How whack was that little church production they put on? I thought the grocery shopping for the abortion meat was hilarious.
Maui
WoWie

Postby John-Locke on Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:47 pm

Have you seen the episode after this though? I don't want to spoil it for you if you haven't, I think I might have been given a pre-air copy or something
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Maui on Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:19 pm

If you mean the road trip that Kate and Tara take, I just DVR'd it last night, haven't watched it yet.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Maui on Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:17 pm

Just watched this week's episode, all I can say is poor, poor Marshall, I feel so badly for him. :(
Maui
WoWie

Postby tapehead on Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:20 pm

I was kind of curious about what the point of T's shed was, then he went and burnt the fucker down!
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:29 pm

Maui wrote:Just watched this week's episode, all I can say is poor, poor Marshall, I feel so badly for him. :(

DISGUSTING!!! Ewww Ewwww Ewwww!

Im liking all the stuff with Gimme. and finally shit starts falling apart and we can add some real drama into this series.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Maui on Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:44 pm

tapehead wrote:I was kind of curious about what the point of T's shed was, then he went and burnt the fucker down!

T's Love Shack. I liked how Marshall just sat there on the lounge and watched it go up in flames.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Maui on Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:52 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
Maui wrote:Just watched this week's episode, all I can say is poor, poor Marshall, I feel so badly for him. :(

Im liking all the stuff with Gimme. and finally shit starts falling apart and we can add some real drama into this series.

I get the whole teenage boy/older woman bit but T??? Ewwww indeed.

Since the pilot episode, this show has improved tremendously, I'm rather enjoying it. Sure they cram alot of dysfunction into 30 minutes but it's great drama with some dark twisty humour thrown in as well. I'm getting a real kick out of Gene, the creepy restaurant owner. It will be interesting to see how he handles the sexual discrimination complaint from Kate.
Maui
WoWie

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:58 pm

Maui wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:

I get the whole teenage boy/older woman bit but T??? Ewwww indeed.

Since the pilot episode, this show has improved tremendously, I'm rather enjoying it. Sure they cram alot of dysfunction into 30 minutes but it's great drama with some dark twisty humour thrown in as well. I'm getting a real kick out of Gene, the creepy restaurant owner. It will be interesting to see how he handles the sexual discrimination complaint from Kate.

Cordry is great in the role.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Maui on Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:35 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
Cordry is great in the role.

His CD to Kate was hilarious.

Maui
WoWie

Postby Maui on Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:48 am

BUMP

Season 2 has arrived with Joey Lauren Adams joining the cast.

EDIT: Joey LAUREN Adams
Last edited by Maui on Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maui
WoWie

Postby John-Locke on Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:15 am

Oh yes, she's in episode 2 a lot more than 1, I still find the rest of the family more interesting than Tara though.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby tapehead on Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:18 am

Joey Lauren Adams and Toni Colette - hottest, weirdest couple on tv
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:53 pm

tapehead wrote:Joey Lauren Adams and Toni Colette - hottest, weirdest couple on tv

Really I think both of them look haggard. Joey Lauren Adams used to be cute but it looks like shes been on a meth binge.

Toni colette lost a bunch of weight and has pancake boobs.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Bloo on Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:05 pm

I thought Joey Adams gave up acting to be a writer or script doctor or something
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Maui on Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:51 am

stereosforgeeks wrote:
tapehead wrote:Joey Lauren Adams and Toni Colette - hottest, weirdest couple on tv

Really I think both of them look haggard. Joey Lauren Adams used to be cute but it looks like shes been on a meth binge.

Toni colette lost a bunch of weight and has pancake boobs.

OUCH! Seriously though, Adams looks like she needs to eat a sandwich or something. Too damn thin and that's what's aging her.
Maui
WoWie

Postby tapehead on Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:32 pm

She looks pretty good to me - she is over 40, and I think the character is meant to have a couple of rough edges. I was referring more to the pretty full on Dumbledore sex scene at the end of ep 2 anyway, rather than the actor's looks in terms of conventional standards - can't really recall to many other candid depictions of cunninglingus between two ladies, even on cable.

The whole final sequence, with Marshall making out with a girl, Kate getting all web-horny over Lynda, and Buck making all his best moves on Joey Lauren Adams- it's got me interested in the coming season, that's for sure.
!!Spoilers censored!!
Last edited by tapehead on Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby John-Locke on Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:36 pm

I don't know that Maui has the screener for episode 2, which doesn't air in the US until Monday I think, SPOILERS FOOL!
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby tapehead on Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:39 pm

Cunninlingus!
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby John-Locke on Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:42 pm

Does anyone else HATE the opening music? It drives me nuts once it gets going with the repetition of "I know we'll be just fine, when we learn to love the Riiiiiiiiiiide"
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby John-Locke on Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:43 pm

tapehead wrote:Cunninlingus!

CunningLinguist
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Maui on Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:53 pm

Yeah, I've seen the girl on girl action in the 2nd episode.

Good news. USofT is renewed for a third season.

So, any theories on the next door neighbour's apparent suicide, which alt spent time over there, etc., etc.?

Did you have a gayble in your high school cafeteria?

JL, I don't mind the theme song too much, I honestly pay more attention to the nifty animation that each episode opens with.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Maui on Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:51 am

So how many alters does Tara have now? I'm starting to lose track of them all.

Here's the complete Princess Valhalla Music Video (check out the highest rated comments, you should recognize 'em).

Maui
WoWie

Postby Maui on Sun May 09, 2010 12:32 pm

GO MARSHALL!!! I had to giggle when the ex-wannabe-girlfriend showed up with the LIAR box which set off Marshall's very powerful rant towards her and his family.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Maui on Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:59 pm

Rather predictable that one of Tara's alters was going to bust up Charmaine's wedding but I've been cheering for Neil all along the way.

So, we have an evil half brother that more than likely will appear in the next season of USoT. Who should it be?
Maui
WoWie

Return to Coaxial