Eastbound & Down

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Eastbound & Down

Postby John-Locke on Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:15 pm

I've just finished watching the six episode first season of Eastbound & Down and it is fucking hilarious, I watched 3 episodes a night over 2 nights, if it was all condensed into a 3 hour movie it would have been the funniest film in years, funnier than Pineapple Express or Tropic Thunder or whatever came out the year before (I think, what came out in 2007 that was really funny?).

Starring Danny McBride (Tropic Thunder, Pineapple Express, Foot Fist Way, the upcoming Observe & Report) as a washed up ex-major league Baseball Pitcher who returns to his home town to work as a substitute Gym teacher so he can pay off his debt to the IRS, he's absolutely crude, rude, loud and completely full of himself. Danny McBride is in typical Danny McBride mode but better than ever at the same time.

It's written by McBride, Jody Hill (The Foot Fist Way, Observe & Report), Ben Best (The Foot Fist Way) and some other dude called Shawn Harwell.

Episodes 1, 5 & 6 are Directed by Jody Hill & Episodes 2, 3 & 4 are Directed by David Gordon Green (Pineapple Express), they really Direct this thing like it's a film, it's more like a film than any HBO show I can think.

Will Ferrell has a memorable small role in 2 episodes (He's also a producer) and Craig Robinson (Daryll from the Office, Zack & Miri, Pineapple Express) also turns up.

I don't want to ruin the story, it's never really predictable even when you think it's looking that way and it's full of great characters being played by people you probably haven't seen in anything before but that you'll want to see again.

The show isn't afraid to use language you'd rarely see in films let alone a TV Show (it's blue even by HBO standards) and there is a lot of Nudity & drug use too. You'll be quoting this show for years to come too, the dialogue is that great.

In short this show is fucking class, oh and it's just been renewed for a 2nd season too.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Re: Eastbound & Down

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:58 pm

John-Locke wrote:I've just finished watching the six episode first season of Eastbound & Down and it is fucking hilarious, I watched 3 episodes a night over 2 nights, if it was all condensed into a 3 hour movie it would have been the funniest film in years, funnier than Pineapple Express or Tropic Thunder or whatever came out the year before (I think, what came out in 2007 that was really funny?).

Starring Danny McBride (Tropic Thunder, Pineapple Express, Foot Fist Way, the upcoming Observe & Report) as a washed up ex-major league Baseball Pitcher who returns to his home town to work as a substitute Gym teacher so he can pay off his debt to the IRS, he's absolutely crude, rude, loud and completely full of himself. Danny McBride is in typical Danny McBride mode but better than ever at the same time.

It's written by McBride, Jody Hill (The Foot Fist Way, Observe & Report), Ben Best (The Foot Fist Way) and some other dude called Shawn Harwell.

Episodes 1, 5 & 6 are Directed by Jody Hill & Episodes 2, 3 & 4 are Directed by David Gordon Green (Pineapple Express), they really Direct this thing like it's a film, it's more like a film than any HBO show I can think.

Will Ferrell has a memorable small role in 2 episodes (He's also a producer) and Craig Robinson (Daryll from the Office, Zack & Miri, Pineapple Express) also turns up.

I don't want to ruin the story, it's never really predictable even when you think it's looking that way and it's full of great characters being played by people you probably haven't seen in anything before but that you'll want to see again.

The show isn't afraid to use language you'd rarely see in films let alone a TV Show (it's blue even by HBO standards) and there is a lot of Nudity & drug use too. You'll be quoting this show for years to come too, the dialogue is that great.

In short this show is fucking class, oh and it's just been renewed for a 2nd season too.

Yay! Cant believe there wasn't a thread on this yet. I was gonna post on it the other day but forgot.

This show's pretty fucking hilarious. And if you're semi-retarded like I am and my friends are and you love quoting funny shit out of the blue, this show will give you plenty of ammo.

McBride's sidekick/personal assistant cracks me up every time he's on screen.

HBO makes good shit.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby stereosforgeeks on Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:49 am

Been meaning to catch this OnDemand but havent had a chance yet. Ill try to make a go of it this weekend after your recommendations.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Ribbons on Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:00 am

I didn't realize that Danny McBride and David Gordon Green had sort of a history together outside of Pineapple Express, but apparently he was in All the Real Girls as well
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby stereosforgeeks on Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:36 am

Ribbons wrote:I didn't realize that Danny McBride and David Gordon Green had sort of a history together outside of Pineapple Express, but apparently he was in All the Real Girls as well

Yeah Green got McBride his start. He was the "comic relief" of All the Real Girls and the movie is all the better for it.
Foot Fist Way is supposed to be his break but I dont thinnk that wouldve been possible without Green.

Honestly I wish Green would go back to making small independent movies like George Washington and All the Real Girls Again. He hasnt done anything as good since.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:40 am

I still haven seen The Foot Fist Way, but I hadn't heard of this at all before reading this thread... sounds really interesting, and I like the fact that there are only six episodes to catch up to. Thanks for the heads up you snivelling b1tch! :)
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby John-Locke on Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:45 am

The Foot Fist way isn't really that good, it just makes you feel really uncomfortable because the main character is such a douche. It's worth a watch though, just don't expect too much.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby papalazeru on Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:54 pm

This series is painful, in the best possible way.

Kenny 'fucking' Powers is just a train wreck on the way down and it's brilliant to watch. Kinda reminds me what I thought the American office Brent would be like before they made the show - Brash, arrogant, ignorant of other people arround him.

I do cringe on a lot of what Kenny says but it's fantastic to watch. I'm only on ep 2 so far though.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby tapehead on Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:35 pm

I was just gonna start this thread the other day when I saw that season two is on the way - let us rejoice and let the quoting commence!

“I’m the man with the ball. I’m the man who can throw it faster than fuck. So that is why I’m better than everyone else in the world. Kiss my ass and suck my dick, everyone.”

“I got the fame, the money, the jewels, the cash, the denali. gettin' drunk on the reg, good times on the reg, yachts on the reg, sex on the reg.”

“no offence, but you shop like a dickhead.”

“I feel like friending someone and I ain't talkin' facebook”

“Its always darkest before you pass out”

Kenny Fuckin' Powers!
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby BuckyO'harre on Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:52 am

Just watched some clips...

"April.
I gotta come clean, babe.
There's one image in my life, that consistently makes me happy no matter when I think about it, and that image-
that ONE image...

is your big tits."
Thank you, Zoners, for the kindness, tolerance, and enlightenment you've shared with me. It may not have been deserved, but it was greatly appreciated nonetheless. Soupy twist.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Maui on Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:43 pm

Kenny Powers gets his groove on.

This was my favourite episode. The dancing bit at the end of this clip never gets old. :lol:
Maui
WoWie

Postby Maui on Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:44 am

Teaser for Season 2 of Kenny Fucking Powers, appropriately scored to Black Strobe's I'm a Man. Eastbound and Down returns September 26, 2010, be there or be square.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Nice Marmot on Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:55 pm

Absolutely love this show.

Wish they'd ditch his music teacher/sidekick though. Its like they told him to act Dumbledore AND mentally challenged.

Am I the only one that thinks April is HOT? In the first episode I thought she was just a chick in Kenny's league. By the end I was wanting her too. And that was before we saw her stunt boobs.
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON

Postby John-Locke on Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:02 pm

Is it the 26th yet?
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby John-Locke on Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:04 pm

Nice Marmot wrote:Wish they'd ditch his music teacher/sidekick though. Its like they told him to act Dumbledore AND mentally challenged.

You don't like Stevie?

Check out this hilarious deleted scene which reveals Stevies dark secret

John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Ribbons on Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:30 pm

John-Locke wrote:

Is it the 26th yet?

IPAMPILASH at 0:26-0:30! :lol:
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby ONeillSG1 on Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:44 pm

John-Locke wrote:
Nice Marmot wrote:Wish they'd ditch his music teacher/sidekick though. Its like they told him to act Dumbledore AND mentally challenged.

You don't like Stevie?

Check out this hilarious deleted scene which reveals Stevies dark secret

Whoa.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby John-Locke on Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:22 am

Now that was fucking funny, Deep Roy just turned in his most memorable performance yet, that Mexican womans ass is a thing of beauty and most importantly KENNY FUCKING POWERS IS BACK BITCHES!
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby ONeillSG1 on Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:18 am

John-Locke wrote:that Mexican womans ass is a thing of beauty

This is the only thing I remember from the episode and I think that's a good thing.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby ONeillSG1 on Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:10 am

It's sad that they used a body double for the Mexican girl's ass. There is no way that it was her, otherwise they wouldn't have framed the shot the way that they did.

Shameful.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby papalazeru on Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:06 pm

I don't know if anyone's still watching this but it is really good.

The music is especially fantastic as well as the acting.

The surprise ending this ep was great. Poor old Stevie, especially after the deleted scene posted up above.

Wow! I'm loving this Ep. I'm looking forward to more Eduardo Sanchez.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:56 pm

Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nice Marmot on Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:10 pm

Loved the 2nd season! Started out thinking Mexico was WAY too much of a drastic change. It worked out perfectly for me. Just as funny as season and somehow enough heart that I end up pulling for this turd of an anti-hero . . .

And yes, the music selection is still awesome.

Once again, the next season can't arrive soon enough.
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:02 am

Nice Marmot wrote:Loved the 2nd season! Started out thinking Mexico was WAY too much of a drastic change. It worked out perfectly for me. Just as funny as season and somehow enough heart that I end up pulling for this turd of an anti-hero . . .

And yes, the music selection is still awesome.

Once again, the next season can't arrive soon enough.

Honestly I thought season 2 was even better than season 1. We needed to see Kenny thrown into a totally new situation that he wasnt prepared for.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Return to Coaxial