ARROW

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

ARROW

Postby wixmmm on Sun May 31, 2009 1:47 pm

(only the first paragraph is about smallville, so please don't put this in the Smallville post where it can die without anyone reading it) Well, the best superhero show after smallville would be metropolis, with the costume and flying, and would ultimately be an elseworlds Superman story... but I doubt that's going to happen (even though I'm sure the ratings for a real superman series would be off the charts, at LEAST it would be the highest rated show on the CW, and Smallville already has the budget)

But the real next superhero show should be Nightwing. I've just bought a ton of Nightwing graphic novels and I think it would be PERFECT for TV. Since its not Gotham City, we never have to see batman... he could just be alluded to. And they're never going to make a respectable Batman movie like Begins and Dark' Knight with 'robin' (i heard christian bale said robin would be a dealbreaker for him.) So, this wouldn't affect the Batman movie franshise even a little. Plus, everyone knows about robin, but few know about nightwing. If they actually toyed with what was the WORST possible superhero... actually, the WORST possible television idea in the history of television proposals (a pre-robin circus show... i cringe when i think about it) then, why not nightwing? Martian manhunter could be decent, but I don't think it could be sustained... the comic couldn't be sustained, so if the comic fans aren't interested, I doubt the average televison watcher would care. I was disappointed after I watched the pilot of Aquaman that it never got picked up, but I question how much that show could have been sustained.

Also, the reality is that the CW has more teenage girl demographic, and NIghtwing could be a character the girls can swoon over, which would bump the ratings up. And I know that sounds like a terrible thing to take into account, but look at SUPERNATURAL... I didn't give the show a chance at all because I saw that the stars were two guys who looked like they were straight out of an abercrombie and fitch catalogue, yet the show has balls and the characters kick ass and probably have a combined 2 hours of 'romantic' elements throughout all four seasons, and in reality, its not a girls show even a little... I would argue its actually more of a man's type of show.
wixmmm
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Re: Next Superhero Show after Smallville

Postby Fried Gold on Sun May 31, 2009 2:34 pm

I think you'll find Smallville will never end.

In 2026, once Tom Welling has finally died of his blandness disease, Warners will consider having an attempt at a Kid Flash TV movie.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby wixmmm on Sun May 31, 2009 3:01 pm

I'll admit... smallville lost steam quickly and became mediocre at best for more seasons than I'd care to count, and for the longest time, the episodes would accumulate on my computer because of lack of desire and interest to watch. It had some absolutely fantastic episodes at times, but that was always the exception, not the rule, and for a long time the show defined 'bland,' which is a shame because ITS SUPERMAN for cryin out loud. When I heard Lex was leaving the show, I wondered how bad it would become with the best actor on the show gone. Lana leaving was LONG overdue... I don't get why the show kept giving us the romance angle between the two--EVERYONE knew that the Lana love interest was going nowhere and that the lois/superman/clark kent is the iconic relationship in all of comics... and the lois actor is great, I thought. (much better than that college freshman looking lois in Singer's boring and ludacris blowjob to donner)

The above is to show that I was well aware of how smallville sucked for so long, but, all that said--the new season was arguably the best the show ever had... personally, I feel it was miles and miles ahead of the next-best season, although I don't think I could pick a next best season because there was never a season even close to season 8... all the previous seasons were sub-par and undeserving of the superman license.

Season 8, however, had some awesome things in it-- the legion episode by comic god Geoff Johns, the beginnings of the lois/clark relationship, clark actually starting to become superman and reporter (as the red-blue blur) doomsday, the tension between clark and green arrow, NO LEX (the lex plots were tiring and played out), and NO LANA. I literally yelled at my TV during the several episode Lana arc, which killed so much of the momentum the show was picking up... although I was glad to see they put the nail in the coffin as far as Lana goes. So, season 8 is worth watching if you've given up on the show... but this is all digression--

I want to hear what people think of the possibility oif a Nightwing show.
wixmmm
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby minstrel on Sun May 31, 2009 3:33 pm

wixmmm wrote:... for a long time the show defined 'bland,' which is a shame because ITS SUPERMAN for cryin out loud.

How is this surprising? Superman has always been the definition of bland.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby wixmmm on Sun May 31, 2009 5:58 pm

minstrel wrote:
wixmmm wrote:... for a long time the show defined 'bland,' which is a shame because ITS SUPERMAN for cryin out loud.

Actually, I was thinking the same thing, but forgot to post it. There's a reason there are countless Batman Graphic Novels in publication (that were printed before Begins and Dark Knight) whereas Superman barely has any graphic novels. The reason I was thinking about 'bland' was that the guy above me said Tom Welling is a bland actor... but I could totally see him as a TELEVISION superman, as Superman, for the most part, is kind of a one trick pony... he doesn't have all the different sides to him that Batman, Green Lantern and Flash (for example) all have. He also doesn't have the different variety of threats and psychological characteristics you find in some of the deeper superheroes.
wixmmm
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Fried Gold on Sun May 31, 2009 7:02 pm

wixmmm wrote:
minstrel wrote:

Actually, I was thinking the same thing, but forgot to post it. There's a reason there are countless Batman Graphic Novels in publication (that were printed before Begins and Dark Knight) whereas Superman barely has any graphic novels.

There are shitloads of Superman "graphic novels", and five(?) currently ongoing monthly comics that feature him.

The reason I was thinking about 'bland' was that the guy above me said Tom Welling is a bland actor... but I could totally see him as a TELEVISION superman, as Superman, for the most part, is kind of a one trick pony... he doesn't have all the different sides to him that Batman, Green Lantern and Flash (for example) all have. He also doesn't have the different variety of threats and psychological characteristics you find in some of the deeper superheroes.

It's all down to whoever's writing the story, rather an inherent problem with the Superman character.

Tom Welling is a boring Clark Kent because a) the show became repetitive and convoluted a while back and b) the actor doesn't have the range to inject much excitement into it.

As for this idea of a Nightwing TV programme, it would work in theory but would likely come across as a cheap Batman-lite. And as there's currently no Nightwing in the comics, WB/DC probably wouldn't go for it (apparently they like to have some synergy across platforms).
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby wixmmm on Sun May 31, 2009 8:39 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
wixmmm wrote:
minstrel wrote:

Actually, I was thinking the same thing, but forgot to post it. There's a reason there are countless Batman Graphic Novels in publication (that were printed before Begins and Dark Knight) whereas Superman barely has any graphic novels.

There are shitloads of Superman "graphic novels", and five(?) currently ongoing monthly comics that feature him.

Actually, there aren't. I buy LOTS of trade paperbacks... I have looked soooooooooo many places, and have not found many (that are still in print--which is key... historically there are 'shitloads' but in the present, go to scifigenre.com. They carry virtually every trade that is still in print and some that aren't. When you look there, take out the trades which are basically reprints of Man of Steel issues... batman has soooooooo many more tpbs and batman's are more self-contained story arcs that are, yes, reprints of batman, but they are BIG storylines (eg wargames, bruce wayne fugitive, no man's land, under the hood, hush and plenty more--all more self contained, very different concepts and ultimately more compelling) I started reading comics thinking I am a superman guy, but because of the combination the lack of superman trades and the more original and unique stories of batman trades, I honestly can't say I like superman better.

and a television superman does not necessarily need to have the best actor... throw him near lois, put glasses on him, make him an optimistic small town boy scout, make him have the same principles that never change no matter what the situation is and more than anything: Put the suit on him. A costumed superman has a certain cache of Punky Power (why does it say Punky Power when I type gra-vi-tas... i understand fat->studly...given harry... but i'm puzzled with this auto change)) that simply comes from being superman... for a TELEVISION superman, welling would be just fine, and it would without a doubt be the best show on the CW, and would be the only thing I would have to watch on that network after supernatural is done with its fifth season.
wixmmm
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:44 pm

What is this thread? I mean it's not any television news. It's not really a discussion since the feller who started it obviously just wants everyone to agree that CW should do a Nightwing TV show. And it seems mostly to be a dissection of Smallville, which we already have a thread for. I mean seriously, is there some vacant hole at CW that after Smallville goes, they have to fill it with another DC property? I don't think the people at the WB or CW give a shit really. The CW would balk at Nightwing anyway just like they balked about using a young Bruce Wayne one season. At this point Gotham is the only viable DC property WB thinks it has.

But if I had to go a little fan wanking, I would suggest Zatanna, Detective Chimp, Blue Devil, Blue Beetle, Booster Gold or any other of a number of interesting b-listers who you could build a show around because a young attractive cast and interesting stores (except maybe in the case of Detective Chimp). Hell Blue Beetle would be great sincer we see more Indians on TV nowadays than Latinos.

But it doesn't matter anyway since CW/WB are terrified of costumed hero shows since the failure of Birds of Prey and others I am probably forgetting about. When Smallville it gone, it will be replaced with some random vampire ripoff, or maybe werewolf just to be edgy. Or it will probably fill the slot with a remake of 21 Jump Street, Parker Lewis Can't Lose, or MILF Island.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby wixmmm on Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:08 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:What is this thread? I mean it's not any television news. It's not really a discussion since the feller who started it obviously just wants everyone to agree that CW should do a Nightwing TV show. And it seems mostly to be a dissection of Smallville, which we already have a thread for. I mean seriously, is there some vacant hole at CW that after Smallville goes, they have to fill it with another DC property? I don't think the people at the WB or CW give a shit really. The CW would balk at Nightwing anyway just like they balked about using a young Bruce Wayne one season. At this point Gotham is the only viable DC property WB thinks it has.

But it doesn't matter anyway since CW/WB are terrified of costumed hero shows since the failure of Birds of Prey and others I am probably forgetting about.

Did you really have to be a dick about this? It COULD have been a disscussion but I can't control what people say in their replies. Why would I create this thread if all I wanted was to get people to agree with me? If there were more fans of nightwing here there would be alot to talk about. Hell, if no one cared about nightwing, there could have been responses that make a case for other superheroes, which also could have been a worthwhile discussion.

Of your suggestions, Booster Gold would be the best, as he is a different kind of superhero story and I highly, highly doubt a movie will ever happen. And, seriously, you can't say they won't go for nightwing because they didn't go for a young Bruce wayne, because there was no doubt movies will be made. Since, from what I've read, there will never be a robin in the movies, a Nightwing show wouldn't step all over the batman movie franshise. And also, nobody cares about Birds of Prey the comic, so its no suprise a TV show bombed. To your credit, they did try an Aquaman show, and the pilot was actually pretty good, but I doubt they could have sustained the show.
wixmmm
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby wixmmm on Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:18 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:is there some vacant hole at CW that after Smallville goes, they have to fill it with another DC property? I don't think the people at the WB or CW give a shit really.

When Smallville it gone, it will be replaced with some random vampire ripoff, or maybe werewolf just to be edgy. Or it will probably fill the slot with a remake of 21 Jump Street, Parker Lewis Can't Lose, or MILF Island.

So according to your insight into the CW, they could 'give a shit' about creating a new DC property, yet you think its likely they'll do a 'vampire/werewolf' show? It sounds like you're saying one tired property with unlimited untapped potential and a solid foundation (a DC property) is unlikely, yet another tired concept/property that has been done to death is more likely?

and its not that there is a 'vacant hole' that must be filled with DC... They own the rights, so why not speculate about what they do with them?
wixmmm
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby BuckyO'harre on Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:35 am

wixmmm wrote:Did you really have to be a dick about this?

:lol:

Burl may act like a grizzly sometimes, but he's really just a big Dumbledore teddy bear

who gets the occasional thorn stuck in his paw.

wixmmm wrote:So according to your insight into the CW, they could 'give a shit' about creating a new DC property, yet you think its likely they'll do a 'vampire/werewolf' show? It sounds like you're saying one tired property with unlimited untapped potential and a solid foundation (a DC property) is unlikely, yet another tired concept/property that has been done to death is more likely?

Coming this fall to the CW...

*drumroll*

The Vampire Diaries.

C'est la guerre.
Thank you, Zoners, for the kindness, tolerance, and enlightenment you've shared with me. It may not have been deserved, but it was greatly appreciated nonetheless. Soupy twist.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:59 pm

I wasn't being a dick... Sorry you took it that way. I was asking a legitimate question. As a mod here, I am tempted to just merge this with the Smallville thread. And people DID care about the Birds of Prey comic. Had they not, it wouldn't have made it to television. The show was just poorly executed and they mangled the original concept to the point where it was just terrible. Sadly it had a great cast, and a great Alfred, but the show was M.A.N.T.I.S. level crap.

As for Nightwing and Batman at the movies. Even if people are saying there will be no Robin, there is always a chance. Seriously, don't you think if they could, Smallville would have worked in Nightwing somehow? Of course they would have. Just like they would love to get a young princess Diana. But WB is so touchy that we don't even get a REAL flash. We get Impulse. Nightwing, regardless of his chances in movies, is still an A-List character that WB would be terrified of tarnishing because of a lowly budgeted poorly executed show. Personally I think Robin is a vital component to Batman and think it's wimpy of Nolan or whoever else to not try to include him in some way. I would certainly enjoy seeing their take on the character for sure.

But I go back to my initial question: does the costumed hero genre even work in TV anymore? What was the last costumed comic property that actually lasted longer than a season on TV? Lois and Clark? And that was awful.

I think execs believe views want a dumbed down less nuanced take on the genre, which is why we get 8 season of Smallville without Clark donning the tights. I mean at this point, him not having a super-disguise doesn't even make sense anymore.

Here's a couple more contenders: Manhunter (the new femme version). They could do that like Wanted with lots of tech and no costume. Same with Booster, but they would have to get some seriously good writers to make viewers love someone who has good intentions, but is kind of a jerk. Black Alice would be an interesting choice because it could be like a darker Buffy not about someone accepting their roll, but about accepting the responsibility that comes with their powers. The Demon Etrigan would work if they made Jason Blood a twenty something with lots of angst about his life and the fact that he occasionally turns into an asshole Demon (if reaper can get away with cheapo demon effects and still be effective, then a higher budget Etrigan should work). Animal Man would be a blast since he never physically changes and no costume is required. Same with Vixen, which would bring a femme African leading a TV show, but I don't think people care about the character (her recent mini was well done though). Question would also be fun and easy to produce. Just tell good mysteries while he uncovers a larger conspiracy.

But again, I am sure WB might be toying with the idea of developing these properties for TV, I don't think there is any mandate. It's not like the old UPN that felt they HAD to have a Star Trek show on their sched to maintain ratings.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby DennisMM on Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:15 pm

I'd kill for a decent Question show, so long as it was Sage and not Montoya. It could be played as a straight, hard crime show, except that he'd slap on the mask and coat a couple of times an episode, or sometimes for most of an episode. That could be brilliant.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:16 am

Yeah, and I hate to say this because I hate it when people automatically default to saying this, but it would make a killer HBO/Showtime or even FX show.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby minstrel on Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:37 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:Personally I think Robin is a vital component to Batman and think it's wimpy of Nolan or whoever else to not try to include him in some way. I would certainly enjoy seeing their take on the character for sure.

I would LOVE to see a version of Robin that's like this: He's about thirteen, highly trained in gymnastics and acrobatics, and because some goons killed his parents, he's utterly psychotic. He's smart, skilled, brave, and incredibly dangerous. Batman doesn't want him as a sidekick. Bruce Wayne doesn't want him as a ward. But Bruce/Batman realizes that the only way to take this talented but insane kid off the street and make use of him rather than imprison him is to take him in and train him as a partner. I want to see Batman desperately trying to ride herd on this impulsive and lethal kid, trying to rein him in, until he gets him under some kind of control. I want to see a Robin who, without Batman's guidance, would burn Gotham City to the ground to get revenge for his parents' murders. That's the only way I can see Robin being a justifiable character. If he's just some gymnastic kid, he isn't necessary for Batman, and therefore belongs in the 1940s, where boy characters had some kind of purpose. To make him valid these days, he has to be extremely talented, but also extremely challenging, for Batman on a daily basis. He's got to have issues. When Batman swings into action, he's got to be just as concerned about his partner as he is about his foe. That, I think, would work from a story point of view.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:19 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:Yeah, and I hate to say this because I hate it when people automatically default to saying this, but it would make a killer HBO/Showtime or even FX show.

I was thinking of a show based on this new "The Network" idea. Each season telling a different story about a certain region creating a rich tapestry of Gotham/Bludhaven life. Ensemble cast playing a range of deep characters, Oracle doing lots of electronic WIREtapping...
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:58 pm

minstrel wrote:
burlivesleftnut wrote:Personally I think Robin is a vital component to Batman and think it's wimpy of Nolan or whoever else to not try to include him in some way. I would certainly enjoy seeing their take on the character for sure.

I would LOVE to see a version of Robin that's like this: He's about thirteen, highly trained in gymnastics and acrobatics, and because some goons killed his parents, he's utterly psychotic. He's smart, skilled, brave, and incredibly dangerous. Batman doesn't want him as a sidekick. Bruce Wayne doesn't want him as a ward. But Bruce/Batman realizes that the only way to take this talented but insane kid off the street and make use of him rather than imprison him is to take him in and train him as a partner. I want to see Batman desperately trying to ride herd on this impulsive and lethal kid, trying to rein him in, until he gets him under some kind of control. I want to see a Robin who, without Batman's guidance, would burn Gotham City to the ground to get revenge for his parents' murders. That's the only way I can see Robin being a justifiable character. If he's just some gymnastic kid, he isn't necessary for Batman, and therefore belongs in the 1940s, where boy characters had some kind of purpose. To make him valid these days, he has to be extremely talented, but also extremely challenging, for Batman on a daily basis. He's got to have issues. When Batman swings into action, he's got to be just as concerned about his partner as he is about his foe. That, I think, would work from a story point of view.

So you want Frank Miller's All-Star Batman and Robin the Boy Wonder.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby TonyWilson on Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:15 pm

The problem with that, Minstrel, is Robin would become an emo tween about 3 seconds in to the first meeting with a studio or DC Comics.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby buster00 on Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:57 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:
minstrel wrote:I would LOVE to see a version of Robin that's like this: He's about thirteen, highly trained in gymnastics and acrobatics, and because some goons killed his parents, he's utterly psychotic. He's smart, skilled, brave, and incredibly dangerous. Batman doesn't want him as a sidekick. Bruce Wayne doesn't want him as a ward. But Bruce/Batman realizes that the only way to take this talented but insane kid off the street and make use of him rather than imprison him is to take him in and train him as a partner. I want to see Batman desperately trying to ride herd on this impulsive and lethal kid, trying to rein him in, until he gets him under some kind of control. I want to see a Robin who, without Batman's guidance, would burn Gotham City to the ground to get revenge for his parents' murders. That's the only way I can see Robin being a justifiable character. If he's just some gymnastic kid, he isn't necessary for Batman, and therefore belongs in the 1940s, where boy characters had some kind of purpose. To make him valid these days, he has to be extremely talented, but also extremely challenging, for Batman on a daily basis. He's got to have issues. When Batman swings into action, he's got to be just as concerned about his partner as he is about his foe. That, I think, would work from a story point of view.

So you want Frank Miller's All-Star Batman and Robin the Boy Wonder.

I thought he was describing Chris O' Donnell.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:27 am

I want a Lobo miniseries.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:26 am

papalazeru wrote:I want a Lobo miniseries.

Especially if they adapt that story where he's hired by the Easter Bunny to assassinate Father Christmas.

Or if they get Steve Buscemi to play the King of the Space Dolphins.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:42 am

Fried Gold wrote:

Especially if they adapt that story where he's hired by the Easter Bunny to assassinate Father Christmas.

I think they should do the Last Czarnian first (and they must include the school reports), and then do Lobo's back, my fave.

There's a Lobo movie out there somewhere, a Chrimbo one too...and here it is

papalazeru

Postby CeeBeeUK on Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:59 am

papalazeru wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:

I think they should do the Last Czarnian first (and they must include the school reports), and then do Lobo's back, my fave.

There's a Lobo movie out there somewhere, a Chrimbo one too...and here it is

Watched the first 30 seconds, how much did they pay you to play Lobo?

:D
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby papalazeru on Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:16 am

I raided your wardrobe Ceebs.

Never knew you were a Kiss fan.

papalazeru

Postby CeeBeeUK on Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:19 am

papalazeru wrote:I raided your wardrobe Ceebs.

hahaha!! Damn, who would have thought my mis-spent youth would catch up with me? ;)

Did you get your hair from my wardrobe too? :shock: :-P
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby papalazeru on Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:25 am

CeeBeeUK wrote:
papalazeru wrote:I raided your wardrobe Ceebs.

hahaha!! Damn, who would have thought my mis-spent youth would catch up with me? ;)

Did you get your hair from my wardrobe too? :shock: :-P

Naaa...Ebay. Julia Roberts armpit hair.

It's quite cheap given that there's more supply than demand.

papalazeru

Postby CeeBeeUK on Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:37 am

I...

I... honestly... am lost for words.

Lamia curse you, with a CGI hankie!

You have three days before you get dragged to the South Bank!

:D
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Live Action Blue Beetle

Postby TheButcher on Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:25 pm

Last edited by TheButcher on Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Live Action Blue Beetle

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:01 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Live Action Blue Beetle

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:04 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Next superhero show after Smallville: RAVEN

Postby TheButcher on Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:49 pm

CW to adapt DC's 'Raven' into series - Network taps Diego Gutierrez to write, exec produce
Michael Schneider wrote:Another DC Comics superheroine could be on her way to primetime.

The CW is looking to adapt "Raven," a half-demon also known as Rachel Roth, into a series. Diego Gutierrez, who most recently served as co-exec VP on "V," is writing and will exec produce.

Project has a script order at the CW through Warner Bros. TV and DC Entertainment.

In DC Comics mythology, Raven -- created by Marv Wolfman and George Perez -- is the daughter of a human and a demon who has empath abilities to read emotions and divine secrets.

Raven, who's able to teleport herself and enter the minds of others, uses her skills to fight crime while trying to keep her dark internal elements in check.

"Raven" reps the latest attempt by the C-Dub to find a suitable comic-themed replacement for "Smallville," which is set to retire at the end of this season.

"Raven" isn't the only DC Comics star in development this year; David E. Kelley is also prepping his take on "Wonder Woman." But that project hasn't yet landed at a network.

"Raven" actually has some history at the CW: The character was featured in the animated Kids' WB series "Teen Titans," which ran for several years (including Kids' WB's brief run as the CW's Saturday morning kids block). Tara Strong voiced Raven in the series, which also featured Robin, Starfire, Beast Boy and Cyborg.

Coming full circle, the last time the CW looked to adapt a DC Comics character, it turned to Robin. In 2008, the netlet gave a committment to "The Graysons," which was to follow the world of Dick "DJ" Grayson before he took on the iconic Robin identity and aligned himself with Batman.

"The Graysons" didn't move forward, however, after Warner Bros. Pictures Group prexy Jeff Robinov decided he didn't want the series to run simultaneous with Christopher Nolan's "Batman" movie franchise. (Nolan was said at the time not to be pleased with the idea either).

But "Raven" is free of any other programming committments, beyond those "Teen Titans" repeats, now running on Boomerang.

Other previous DC titles in development at the CW include "Global Frequency." And in 2002, the WB turned the "Batman" spinoff "Birds of Prey" into a series -- but it proved short-lived.

Fox's "Human Target" is also based on a DC title.

Gutierrez spent several seasons on "Without a Trace." His other credits include "The Shield," "Kingpin," "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" and "Dawson's Creek."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Next superhero show after Smallville: DEADMAN?

Postby TheButcher on Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:05 pm

DEADLINE EXCLUSIVE August 25, 2011:
‘Supernatural’ Creator Developing Series Adaptation Of Comic ‘Deadman’ For CW
Nellie Andreeva wrote:With Smallville ending its 10-season run this past May, the CW has made launching a new superhero franchise based on a DC property a priority. The network’s first effort this development season is Deadman, a drama based on the DC Comics books by Arnold Drake and Carmine Infantino, which will be written and executive produced by Supernatural creator Eric Kripke. The project is about the spirit of a murdered man, Boston Brand, who lives on as he inhabits other people’s bodies and helps them solve crises in their own lives. It is produced by Warner Bros TV, which handles the mining of the DC catalog for TV series.

“We’re looking next year to do a superhero show if the right superhero comes to be,” CW president Mark Pedowitz said at TCA last month, noting the advantage of having Time Warner-owned DC Comics in the family. (CW is a joint venture of Warner Bros Entertainment and CBS). Getting Kripke to develop Deadman seems like a no-brainer as he is the man behind CW’s longest-running scripted series on the air. Sci-fi drama Supernatural enters its seventh season this fall and Pedowitz recently indicated that it is not intended to be the show’s last. While no longer a hands-on showrunner (Supernatural is co-run by Sera Gamble and Robert Singer), Kripke continues to serve as an executive producer.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

CW's Next superhero show after Smallville: Green Arrow?

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:39 pm

Green Arrow Drama Nears Pilot Order At CW
NELLIE ANDREEVA wrote:The CW is finalizing a deal for a pilot order to Arrow, an hourlong superhero drama based on DC Comics’ Green Arrow. It is written and executive produced by The Green Lantern co-writers Greg Berlanti and Marc Guggenheim and Fringe and Vampire Diaries alum Andrew Kreisberg. I hear that David Nutter will likely direct the project, which takes the comic book character created by Mort Weisinger and George Papp and sets him in a new world with an original story that is not based on the comics, which are published by DC Entertainment. Arrow, produced by Warner Bros TV and Berlanti’s studio-based Berlanti Television, was developed by Berlanti and Guggenheim, who came up with the idea and wrote the storyline and then brought in Kreisberg to write the script. Kreisberg, who has comics experience having written DC Comics’ Green Arrow and Black Canary among other books, previously worked with Berlanti and Guggenheim on their ABC drama Eli Stone.

First introduced in an 1941 edition of More Fun Comics, Green Arrow is a superhero dressed like Robin Hood who is an archer using trick arrows including glue, net, tear gas and even kryptonite arrows. His secret identity is billionaire Oliver Queen. This marks the character’s return to the CW, where it was a fixture on the Superman-inspired Smallville for several years. Portrayed by Justin Hartley, who is not attached to Arrow, Oliver Queen/Green Arrow was introduced in a seven-episode arc on the show in 2006, with Hartley joining the series as a regular in 2008. Also serving as a bridge between the two shows would be Nutter, who directed the pilot for Smallville.

Developing a series based on a DC property to succeed the recently departed Smallville was a priority for the CW this development season. “We’re looking next year to do a superhero show if the right superhero comes to be,” CW president Mark Pedowitz said at the summer TCA. In addition to Arrow, the network has in contention an adaptation of Deadman penned by Supernatural creator Eric Kripke. This is the CW’s second pilot order this season, following the pickup of mystery drama Cult last week. Arrow would mark the second pilot order for Berlanti and Guggenheim so far this season. Earlier this week, Fox greenlighted Guilty, a legal drama penned by Guggenheim and executive produced by him and Berlanti. Berlanti, Guggenheim, Nutter and Kreisberg, who serves as co-executive producer on Syfy’s Warehouse 13, are with WME.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: CW's Next superhero show after Smallville: Green Arrow?

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:43 pm

STORY: 'Green Lantern' Duo Tackling 'Green Arrow' for CW
'Arrow,' 'Carrie Diaries,' 'Beauty and the Beast' Get Pilot Orders at the CW
Lesley Goldberg wrote:Arrow, based on DC Comics' long-running Green Arrow, revolves around the hooded superhero, a wealthy playboy by day who secretly saves the city by night using his enhanced arrows.

The hourlong drama is a modern retelling of the legendary comics character and hails from Green Lantern duo Greg Berlanti and Marc Guggenheim, who will executive produce and pen the project alongside Fringe co-EP Andrew Kreisberg, with whom they worked on Eli Stone.

The pilot order comes less than a week after the project landed at the network. The project hails from Berlanti Productions in association with Warner Bros. Television.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: CW's Next superhero show after Smallville: Green Arrow?

Postby TheButcher on Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:46 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Next superhero show after Smallville: BLUE BEETLE?

Postby TheButcher on Mon May 14, 2012 10:04 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Random Coaxial

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:00 pm

Anybody watching CW's "Arrow"? I just caught up on the first four episodes on Hulu. It doesn't exactly break the superhero mold, but it is much better than the promos had lead me to believe. I may have referred to the program as "garbage" in fact after watching the television advertisements. But I was wrong. The main dude seems like one of those bland hunks they have on the television at first glance and his voice-over narration is a little stiff, but I think he's doing a good job of balancing the gruff hero dude and the damaged guy and the billionaire playboy personas. His rebellious teen sister played by a twenty-something can get annoying at times, though. But the supporting cast is pretty good (Colin fuckin' Salmon). And also the gruff cop dude looks like Jack Nicholson.

I also like that the plot is developing at a brisk pace. Nothing wrong with a nice slow burn, but some shows take it too far in that regard sometimes. In my opinion. Probably the biggest reason I stopped watching television was due to those programs that spend more time dangling a carrot in front of your face than actually entertaining you.

So, if you haven't seen it yet, take it from me, a non-television guy who never thought he'd like a show on the fuckin' CW. "Arrow" has potential.
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Re: Random Coaxial

Postby Bloo on Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:57 pm

caurso, I've been waffling on watching Arrow...your recommendation pushed it to the top of my must see list because I know you don't watch shit on TV
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Random Coaxial

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:03 am

Bloo wrote:caurso, I've been waffling on watching Arrow...your recommendation pushed it to the top of my must see list because I know you don't watch shit on TV

I'd definitely give it a chance. In fact I signed up for Hulu Plus specifically to watch episode four so I could be caught up in time for the new episode on Wednesday.

At least it ain't, like, fuckin' "Bones" or some shit. Is that crap still on?
caruso_stalker217

Postby Bloo on Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:28 am

caruso_stalker217 wrote:
Bloo wrote:caurso, I've been waffling on watching Arrow...your recommendation pushed it to the top of my must see list because I know you don't watch shit on TV

I'd definitely give it a chance. In fact I signed up for Hulu Plus specifically to watch episode four so I could be caught up in time for the new episode on Wednesday.

it is. and I watch it (or rather roommates watch it while I'm in the living room) how many seriel killers have they investigated
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby travis-dane on Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:20 am

Bloo wrote:
caruso_stalker217 wrote:

it is. and I watch it (or rather roommates watch it while I'm in the living room) how many seriel killers have they investigated

Arrow is shit. Like the last seven seasons of Smallville. You should watch Arrow and Beauty and the Beast, then you can cover the shity taste Arrow leaves in your mouth with a even more shity taste like Beauty and the Beast.

Watch quality TV guys, like Boardwalk Empire or Homeland or Sons of Anarchy.
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby Bloo on Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:08 pm

travis-dane wrote:
Bloo wrote:
caruso_stalker217 wrote:

Arrow is shit. Like the last seven seasons of Smallville. You should watch Arrow and Beauty and the Beast, then you can cover the shity taste Arrow leaves in your mouth with a even more shity taste like Beauty and the Beast.

I do...and Justified and Game of Thrones. But I like all sorts of TV and am willing to give it a shot. Expectations aren't quite as high now though
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:37 pm

travis-dane wrote:
Bloo wrote:
caruso_stalker217 wrote:

Fuckin' Germans. Nothin' ever changes.
caruso_stalker217

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:17 am

"Arrow" is only getting better, folks. Tonight's episode is the best so far. The stunt work is really good, too.
caruso_stalker217

Re: Next superhero show after Smallville: GREEN ARROW!

Postby Ribbons on Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:29 pm

Needs more shirtless scenes
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:54 pm

Ribbons wrote:Needs more shirtless scenes

Agreed.

Cop Dad already goes half-shirtless, with the front open wide enough for the steel wool on his chest to stick out.

But Laurel should go topless too. That's fuckin' appointment television right there.
caruso_stalker217

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:25 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: ARROW

Postby SilentBobX on Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:22 pm

Dammit, I was hoping for an appearance by Darkseid, or Metallo, or at the very least, Wild Dog. I'd kill for a Wild Dog tv show. How bad could it be? Not THAT bad.

Mahalo

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Next Superhero Show after ARROW: THE FLASH!

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:08 am

Producers Andrew Kreisberg and Geoff Johns Talk ARROW Season 2, Introducing Barry Allen and His Superpowers, & THE FLASH Spin-Off
Christina Radish wrote:With the big announcement of the expansion of the Arrow universe to include Barry Allen, aka The Flash, in Season 2 of the popular series on The CW, executive producers/writers Andrew Kreisberg and Geoff Johns participated in a conference call with press to discuss what viewers can expect.

During the interview, Kreisberg and Johns talked about why The Flash is the first character from the DC universe that will cross paths with Arrow, what makes his personal story compelling, that he’ll appear in three episodes – Episodes 8, 9 and Episode 20 (to be directed by David Nutter) – which will set things up for a possible spin-off, how the introduction of superpowers will affect the world of Arrow and its characters, what sort of conflict will arise between Oliver Queen (Stephen Amell) and Barry Allen, where they’re taking inspiration from, and that they were waiting to start casting until they made the official announcement about the character. Check out what they had to say after the jump.

Question: With as vast as the DC universe is, why did you decide to bring in The Flash, and had you considered any other characters?

ANDREW KREISBERG:
It really started with Greg Berlanti. The Flash was his favorite character, as a kid, growing up, and he’s obviously been a strong personal favorite of both Geoff [Johns] and mine. So, when Greg approached us, one day, and said, “Hey, what would you think, if we did The Flash as a spin-off?,” all of us lit up. Despite the fact that he’s got superpowers, I think there’s something relatable about Barry, of the big seven of The Justice League. He got his powers by accident. He isn’t a God. He isn’t an alien. He wasn’t seeking this out. It came to him. And his reactions to that feel very human and grounded. I know that’s a word we use a lot on Arrow, but that’s how it really feels. Oliver Queen is a very dark and tortured soul, and Barry is not. I think it will be fun to see these two characters together because they both have distinctly different world views while both caring very deeply about right and wrong.

GEOFF JOHNS: There’s also something really compelling about Barry Allen’s personal story. You see some of that in the comic books, but we’ll really be exploring his life as a forensic scientist and the people around him and the tragedies that he’s had to face, himself, and how he deals with them in a very, very different way than Oliver Queen.

How are you going to fit The Flash into the Arrow world?

KREISBERG: When we first meet Barry Allen, he’s just a forensic scientist working for the police department. He’s just an ordinary man, when we meet him. As we always do on Arrow, we try to keep things as grounded and realistic as possible. That’s how the audience will be introduced to Barry and get to know him, before his life gets a little bit faster.

Barry won’t be entering Arrow with powers, but will he be leaving with powers?

KREISBERG:
I think part of the fun for the audience is to see how we do our “Arrow” take on The Flash legacy. I think some of it will feel very familiar to fans of the comics, and some of it will feel hopefully different, but fresh and exciting. The same way we approached Arrow is the same way we’re approaching Barry.

JOHNS: All that said, he does need powers to become The Flash.

KREISBERG: He will be The Flash.

Is this going to mean an introduction of powers in the Arrow universe, in a broader context, as well?

JOHNS:
We looked at it as Barry Allen. When he first appeared back in the ‘50s, he ushered in the Silver Age of DC superheroes. In the same way, he’s going to usher in some new and pretty insane concepts to the Arrow world, but in a very grounded way.

KREISBERG:
The important thing is that our characters, who people have really come to know and like, will react to the extraordinary changes to their world, hopefully in a very realistic way. These “powers” won’t be treated as commonplace, on the show. They will be extraordinary events and the world, and our characters in it, will react accordingly.

If The Flash doesn’t go the way you hope and it doesn’t get picked up as a series, would you keep him in the Arrow universe?

KREISBERG:
Honestly, we’re really not looking that far ahead. For right now, we’re really just focusing on these episodes of Arrow that Barry Allen is partaking in. For this season, especially, this is in addition to Arrow. We’re not trying to take away anything from Arrow. We’re really trying to add to Arrow. So, for right now, that’s our singular focus.

JOHNS: We’re really focusing on making these episodes the very, very best they can be. The Flash deserves it.

Will Oliver have direct interaction with Barry, and will there be friction there, like in the comic books?

KREISBERG:
Oh, yeah, absolutely! That’s part of the reason we’re excited about doing this. As excited as we are to write for Barry, we’re really excited about what Barry’s arrival is going to mean for Oliver, for Dig for Felicity and everybody. He’s a great character, who’s going to affect all of our characters’ lives.

JOHNS: Barry is a cop. He follows the law. He follows the rules. He’s the last thing in the world you would ever think about as being a vigilante.

KREISBERG:
What’s really nice is that they’re both going to learn from each other. When Barry comes into Oliver’s life, he’s going to have a profound impact on it. We always talk about the villains. We don’t do these things as gimmicks. We figure out what it’s going to mean for our characters and what the most exciting story is that we can tell with our characters. For this season, especially as Oliver is embarking on a new mission of trying to be a hero, he comes into contact with somebody who, as much as Oliver thinks he’s now being a hero, Barry won’t always think that.

What is Barry actually going to look like?

KREISBERG:
For right now, because you’re just meeting Barry Allen, CSI, we’re not really focusing on potential costumes, or that stuff. That’s further down the road. We’re going to do what we did when we started with Arrow, which is hopefully write a great script and look for an amazing actor to play the part.

How many episodes will Barry be in?

KREISBERG:
He’ll appear in Episode 8 and 9, and 20.

JOHNS: Episode 20 will be directed by David Nutter.

David Nutter directed “The Red Wedding” episode for Game of Thrones. Should viewers expect big things from that Arrow episode, then?

JOHNS:
First off, that was one of the greatest episode of television this year, and Game of Thrones is one of the greatest shows.

KREISBERG: And he definitively deserved an Emmy nomination.

JOHNS: David Nutter is a fantastic director.

KREISBERG:
He did the pilot for Smallville, and he also did the pilot for Arrow, so it feels right that he’s doing that episode. As much as people talk about Greg [Berlanti], Marc [Guggenheim] and I for Arrow, David really made it what it was with his amazing direction and his unparalleled advice and leadership.

Who will be writing Episodes 8, 9 and 20?

KREISBERG:
Episodes 8, 9 and 20 are going to be written by Greg Berlanti, myself and Geoff [Johns].

Have you given any thought as to how you will render super-speed, when it comes to be?

JOHNS:
It will be very different. It will not be blurring around. It will be very different.

KREISBERG: I think we’re excited to show something new that people have never seen. We don’t want to do something that people expect or what they’ve already seen. We really want to do something fresh and new and exciting, and give people a real cinematic experience in TV, in the same way that they’ve gotten from Arrow.

JOHNS: There’s also some wonderful visuals in The Flash comic book, currently, that we’re looking at because they’re really inspiring. Also, there’s a DC animated film, called Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox, and there’s some sequences in there. I’ve never seen super-speed like that before, especially towards the end. We’re getting inspired by every incarnation of The Flash, everywhere, and beyond that.

Have you started the casting process yet?

KREISBERG:
No, we were actually waiting for the news to come out. We really want to open this up to everybody, and see some people who are “names” and unknown people. It would have been difficult to look for an actor and say, “Oh, yeah, you’re guest starring on Arrow, but we can’t tell you who it is.” This way, everybody knows now, and we can really start in earnest. David Rapaport, who cast the Arrow pilot, is going to be casting this, so we feel like we’re in good hands.

How physical is the role going to be?

JOHNS: Physically, it’s going to be different than Arrow. Barry Allen isn’t typically a very physical guy. That said, he’s got to be athletic. He’s going to be running around buildings and through walls, but he won’t have to do those crazy pull-ups.

KREISBERG:
Nobody can do the crazy pull-ups, but Stephen [Amell].

JOHNS: I think Green Arrow might show off in front of Barry Allen.

And just to clarify, at the end of the day, this character will go by the name The Flash and he will wear a red costume?

JOHNS:
Yes, absolutely! There will be no sweatsuits or strange code names. He will be The Flash.

Are there plans to involve any other characters from Barry Allen’s universe, in his Arrow appearances?

KREISBERG:
That’s interesting. Episodes 8 and 9 will take place in Starling City, which Barry has come to. I think Episode 20 will be a bigger introduction to Barry’s world. Those first episodes are really Barry coming to the Arrow world.

JOHNS: So, ultimately, yes. In Episode 20, you will see Barry Allen and The Flash’s world starting to form, in earnest.

Arrow returns to The CW for Season 2 on October 9th.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Next Superhero Show after ARROW: THE FLASH!

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:09 am

CW Eyes ‘Flash’ Series With ‘Arrow’s Greg Berlanti, Andrew Kreisberg & David Nutter
NELLIE ANDREEVA | wrote:UPDATE, 9 AM: During the CW executive session, the network’s topper Mark Pedowitz gave more details about The Flash project. It will be the origin story of Barry Allen who will be introduced as a recurring character on Arrow this coming season starting in the fall. “We want to expand the DC universe of characters,” he said. As for how the project came together, Pedowitz said he late last year brought up the idea to DC Entertainment president Diane Nelson who turns out had already been discussing it with WBTV’s Peter Roth and producer Greg Berlanti. Pedowitz also confirmed that “Amazon is on pause (as) the script is not exactly what we wanted, and with an iconic character like Wonder Woman, we have to get it right.”

EXCLUSIVE 7 AM: Another DC Comics male superhero is looking to join the CW’s lineup. I’ve learned that the network is fast tracking Flash, a drama project based on the DC character from the Arrow team of co-creators Greg Berlanti and Andrew Kreisberg and director David Nutter. The CW is expected to discuss the project at today’s TCA presentation. I hear there is an idea is to introduce The Flash on Arrow next season before spinning it off into its own series. I hear Flash will be written by Berlanti, Kreisberg and DC Entertainment’s Geoff Johns who also has written for Arrow. Nutter, who helmed the Arrow pilot, will direct the potential pilot, while Berlanti and Kreisberg are expected to run the potential series. Marc Guggenheim, who developed and executive produces Arrow with Berlanti and Kreisberg, is not involved in Flash as he busy with Arrow, now heading into its second season

Expanding DC’s footprint on the CW has been a priority for the network and DC sibling Warner Bros. TV, especially following the departure of the long-running Smallville and in light of the recent success of Arrow, one of few breakout hits last season. This past development season, the CW developed a Wonder Woman origins project, which didn’t go to pilot. The network in May commissioned a new script with a new writer which has been delivered, but I hear the network has hit the pause button on the project. Flash is certain to get a priority given its A-list auspices. Arrow is one of the CW’s top series, along with The Vampire Diaries and veteran Supernatural, all three of which are being used to spawn new series. The network used The Vampire Diaries last season to spin off The Originals, while Supernatural‘s upcoming ninth season also will feature a planted spinoff episode.

Created by writer Gardner Fox and artist Harry Lampert, The Flash is a name shared by several comic book superheroes from the DC universe. All incarnations possess “super-speed” or an ability to run and move extremely fast and use superhuman reflexes. The second Flash alter ego, Barry Allen, headlined the 1990 CBS live-action series The Flash starring John Wesley Shipp. Incarnations of The Flash character also have appeared in the Young Justice animated series. Berlanti and Johns are XWarner Bros. several years ago. In addition to Arrow, Berlanti has new CW series The Tomorrow People.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Next

Return to Coaxial