LOST SEASON 6 (SPOILERS)

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

How did you feel about the finale?

Loved it
38%
Liked it
23%
Disappointed
19%
Konged
19%

Total votes : 26

Re: LOST SEASON 6 (SPOILERS) BEHOLD ORCUS COMES FROM THE ISL

Postby so sorry on Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:40 pm

Orcus wrote:So what did Orcus miss??

A letdown.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Re: LOST SEASON 6 (SPOILERS)

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:03 pm

i've rewatched the whole series with my gf (who never watched it the first time around) and i have to say, it doesn't hold up as well when viewed straight through as it did the first time. it's still a great show, but it's pretty clear they introduced mysteries, ideas and characters without a clear idea of where they were going with them, and it doesn't always hold up. for instance, the whispers, the explanation we get for those in season 6 doesn't really make sense when viewing earlier seasons, the nature of the smoke monster doesn't always seem consistent, and so on. i still love the finale though, and it made me cry just like the first time.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Orcus on Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:23 pm

It seems that Orcus has to trim his subjects.

Orcus was considering getting the BluRay set, but was wondering if it had an option for those rather helpful and potentially annoying popups that they had in the recap shows
"Where's you're God noooooow???!!"
Orcus
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:37 pm

i don't think so, but then i never looked for them because i always found them more annoying than helpful.

i don't need the show constantly pointing out obvious stuff that even the most casual watcher would pick up on. "this is john locke. he is bald and likes to carry a knife. this is jack shephard. he used to be a surgeon, now he's a knob."
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fievel on Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:43 am

TheBaxter wrote:i don't think so, but then i never looked for them because i always found them more annoying than helpful.

i don't need the show constantly pointing out obvious stuff that even the most casual watcher would pick up on. "this is john locke. he is bald and likes to carry a knife. this is jack shephard. he used to be a surgeon, now he's a knob."

The Zone needs a new designated knob character/person now that Lost is done. Or is Jack the permanent knob? A permaknob?
I love to call people a knob in real life and would love to continue to do so in the Zone.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Fievel wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:i don't think so, but then i never looked for them because i always found them more annoying than helpful.

The Zone needs a new designated knob character/person now that Lost is done. Or is Jack the permanent knob? A permaknob?
I love to call people a knob in real life and would love to continue to do so in the Zone.

Shia LeKnob?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Ribbons on Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:10 pm

Review: The Lost finale a year later

Alan Sepinwall wrote:A year ago tonight, "Lost" ended with a two and a half hour finale that some found brilliant, some found maddening, and others fell somewhere in between. I definitely was one of the in-betweeners, trending more towards the good than the bad. I loved the emotional reunions, Jack and Smokey's final duel, Jack passing the torch to Hurley and some other story and character moments while being largely frustrated with both the revelation of what the sideways universe was and the lack of answers from the series as a whole. I wrote a review that night, then another one a few weeks later that nudged even more towards the positive while still not being pleased about all the time spent on the sideways, the Temple, etc. At the time, I wondered whether my opinion would change in a few months, or years, noting that I still thought about the similarly-contentious "The Sopranos" finale the way I did the night it aired.

And re-reading those reviews, and thinking on "The End," my opinions are mostly unchanged. But in another way, I feel even more positive about both the finale and the series as a whole than I did 365 days ago.

The 2010-11 TV season ends on Wednesday night, and it hasn't been an especially good one, at least not in terms of new shows and for the most part not in terms of dramas. It was an uninspiring crop of freshman shows, borne out by the fact that so few of the rookies are coming back next season. (As Linda Holmes pointed out on Twitter, between ABC, NBC and FOX, only one new show that debuted last fall is returning for next season: FOX's "Raising Hope." And even that might not be returning if FOX had waited a little longer to make the decision and saw how the numbers were going.)

So anyone who was hoping for some new series to come in and immediately fill that spot "Lost" filled in the universe was sorely let down by this group of mostly lame newbies - and perhaps especially by the "Lost"-esque - but in all of the bad ways - "The Event," which ends its unfortunate run tonight. "The Event," like so many other "Lost" wannabes over the last six years, was all sizzle and no steak: paper-thin characters involved in a shell game of a plot largely devoted to keeping viewers on the hook as long as possible.

And I know that's the reputation "Lost" had at times, and I know that it's easy for the people who hated the finale - who felt they were entitled to more answers than Darlton were willing or able to provide - to believe that was the case. But while "Lost" generated a lot of attention and passion from its mysteries, the show had a whole lot more to offer than that. It had action and suspense and spectacle the likes of which "The Event," "FlashForward," and "Threshold" (to name three of the wannabes) on their best day couldn't come close to. It had great characters, like John Locke, Ben Linus, Hugo Reyes, Desmond Hume and Sayid Jarrah (to name just a few).

Setting the mysteries and the oblique clues and frustrating answers aside, "Lost" mattered. "Lost" was grand and tragic and funny and exciting and a show that felt not quite like anything that had been tried before - and, based on where its ratings were by the end, and the struggles of all the shows to imitate it, one that may be unlike anything we ever see in the future.

Again, if you were mostly in it to find out who was in the other outrigger shooting at Sawyer, or why Walt was special, or if you were seeking a more complicated explanation for the many strange properties of the island beyond "there's a weird glow-y pool of light that looks like it belongs in an '80s movie with Richard Chamberlain and Sharon Stone," then I can understand the feeling of betrayal that came with "The End." But I look at the state of TV now - and the future of network TV in particular - and I worry that it'll be a long time before we get another network drama that's both this ambitious and, far more often than not, this well-executed.

"Lost" screwed up at times. (During seasons two and three, many times.) But it went for it. And I would rather have the memories of how I felt when the polar bear came charging at Sawyer, or when Jack told Kate they had to go back, or when Sawyer told Juliet "I got ya, baby" (twice!) far more than I'd want to get rid of whatever frustrations I felt with the polar bear cage episodes, or Dogen and Lennon, or finding out that Desmond didn't have quite the plan we all thought he did.

Like Christian Shepard told me to, I've been able to let go of most of the anger and reflect on the good times.

But I'm curious about the rest of you: one year later, how are you feeling about "The End" of "Lost" as we knew it?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fievel on Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:25 pm

My thoughts a year later... and I haven't gone back in this thread to see my thoughts then....

A few years ago the lost crew obtained the rights to Stephen King's series The Dark Tower. Nevermind the fact that Ron Howard now holds the rights, but looking back the matchup of Lost and King seems perfect. Both camps made a great story. The great story was a long journey for the audience. The journey at times absolutely infuriated the core audience, but kept most of them interested enough to see the story through to the end. And the ending? Both camps split their audience on the ending. People on both sides felt cheated. They felt let down after devoting so much time and emotion to the story just to have the ending be what it was.

And me? In both stories (hell, throw Battlestar Galactica in there, too) the journey was so much more important than the ending. I'll probably never watch an episode of Lost again. It's just not something that appeals to me. But I am so thankful I did watch it all the way through.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fievel on Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:12 am

Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Ribbons on Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:13 am

IPAMPILASH!

Barry!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby papalazeru on Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:20 pm

WTF!!! Was that for real?

That was just the funniest, and if it was real, it's like JJ purposefully took the piss out of his audience.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby ironic name on Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:12 am

there. my aspurgerness is gone.
ironic name
had cheer sex with Megan Gale

Postby Ribbons on Thu May 24, 2012 9:48 pm

Damon Lindelof Talks at Length about the Ending of LOST:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/5/21/3030913/damon-lindelof-on-lost-on-the-verge
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TonyWilson on Fri May 25, 2012 6:48 am

Ribbons wrote:Damon Lindelof Talks at Length about the Ending of LOST:

Thank the lord I can't listen to this at work. Any more bullshit excuses from Lindelof and Cuse might send me postal.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby so sorry on Fri May 25, 2012 8:49 am

TonyWilson wrote:
Ribbons wrote:Damon Lindelof Talks at Length about the Ending of LOST:

Thank the lord I can't listen to this at work. Any more bullshit excuses from Lindelof and Cuse might send me postal.

Ha! Seriously. Ribs, if you happen across a transcript of this kindly post it as well. I'd have a much easier time reading it (at work) then watching.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Ribbons on Fri May 25, 2012 12:23 pm

I'll look for one, but it's a pretty long interview (the Lost clip is 25 minutes alone)
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby so sorry on Fri May 25, 2012 1:12 pm

Ribbons wrote:I'll look for one, but it's a pretty long interview (the Lost clip is 25 minutes alone)

25 minutes? Yeah, I don't have attention span for that... :oops:

Cliff's Notes?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Fievel on Fri May 25, 2012 2:00 pm

It took the guy like 2 minutes just to ask the first question!!
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Bloo on Fri May 25, 2012 5:47 pm

Fievel wrote:It took the guy like 2 minutes just to ask the first question!!

was the first question even a question? I tuned out after that. Wannabe Charlie Rose
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby TheBaxter on Tue May 29, 2012 9:48 am

yeah, basically it takes the guy 10 minutes of talking about how disappointed he was with the ending before lindelof finally figures out the interviewer completely misunderstood the finale (he's one of those people who thought they all died in the plane crash and the entire series took place in their minds). then lindelof talks about how any ending based in mythology would be disappointing, how much he hated the architect scene in the matrix and didn't want to do something like that, and how any ending was going to be bound to disappoint some people because everyone already had their own idea of how they wanted it to end by that point and if they didn't get the ending they already wanted or expected they'd be disappointed, and that the ending was the ending he wanted the show to have. that interviewer was a real dolt, besides talking the whole first 5 minutes or so about how disappointing the show was for him (based on his own clueless interpretation of the finale), he then goes on to describe all the endings he would have personally preferred, which range from the island being some alien experiment to bob newhart waking up in bed and realizing the show was a bad dream.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Ribbons on Tue May 29, 2012 1:43 pm

In the interest of playing devil's advocate, I will say that it's a little disingenuous on Lindelof's part to suggest that the only two options are Lost or The Architect scene from The Matrix. They could have answered more, like why children can't be born on the island (besides for the fact that there needs to be an ankh nearby, or whatever), or what was actually at stake if the man in black managed to escape, in a way that wouldn't have changed the ending of the show. But he does acknowledge that they were probably closer to the "not enough" information side than a happy medium because he finds ambiguity to be more interesting than the alternative.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheBaxter on Tue May 29, 2012 3:18 pm

Ribbons wrote:In the interest of playing devil's advocate, I will say that it's a little disingenuous on Lindelof's part to suggest that the only two options are Lost or The Architect scene from The Matrix. They could have answered more, like why children can't be born on the island (besides for the fact that there needs to be an ankh nearby, or whatever), or what was actually at stake if the man in black managed to escape, in a way that wouldn't have changed the ending of the show. But he does acknowledge that they were probably closer to the "not enough" information side than a happy medium because he finds ambiguity to be more interesting than the alternative.

well he does pretty much say that in the interview. those aren't the only two options, he says you've got the architect scene on one end of the spectrum, and the Lost ending on the other end, and the perfect ending is somewhere in between those two, but if he's going to err it's going to be closer to the Lost side than to the architect side of the spectrum because that's what he finds more interesting or compelling.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fievel on Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:26 pm

Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby so sorry on Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:04 pm

I'm too stoopid to follow along with that stuff. What's the point?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Fievel on Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:20 pm

I don't know, man. I think it's the whole show, there before your eyes. If you can figure out how to navigate it you just hover your mouse over the characters and the dialogue opens up over them.
It's really confusing to try and figure out. I found myself remembering it and hearing the lines in the characters' voices. It's irritating and fascinating.
That's Lost, aint it?

Although I enjoyed the few minutes I spend there, I guarantee you I'll never go there again.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby so sorry on Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:27 pm

Fievel wrote:I don't know, man. I think it's the whole show, there before your eyes. If you can figure out how to navigate it you just hover your mouse over the characters and the dialogue opens up over them.
It's really confusing to try and figure out. I found myself remembering it and hearing the lines in the characters' voices. It's irritating and fascinating.
That's Lost, aint it?

Although I enjoyed the few minutes I spend there, I guarantee you I'll never go there again.

the only interesting part for me was the "graph" area where you can spin that shit around.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:15 pm

so sorry wrote:

to take a confusing and difficult-to-follow show, and make it more confusing and difficult to follow?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fievel on Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:31 am

TheBaxter wrote:
so sorry wrote:

to take a confusing and difficult-to-follow show, and make it more confusing and difficult to follow?

Genius, right? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheButcher on Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:14 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fievel on Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:05 pm

This exists......

Leaked Lost Document Reveals They Had No Plan for an Ending

Story has a link to the document - the Lost Writer's Guide
Don't know if it's real or not, but I can see it going either way. Some of the unused story ideas would have been interesting. Others.... not so much.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Ribbons on Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:21 pm

The Lost Will and Testament of Javier Grillo-Marxuach

At the risk of extreme arrogance, I would put the first season of Lost alongside any accomplishment in television drama, including those of the idols who made me want to work in the medium.

Even though I quit the show after its second season -- never to watch it again until the series finale -- I have never ceased to be fiercely proud, and defensive, of our accomplishments as a writing staff, and those of the show's creators.

If you are reading this, it might be because you asked me how it all began and I sent you here. Or it might be because -- as still happens with depressing regularity -- one of the show's detractors, be that a critic, or, more vexingly, someone who has just created a show and wants to make sure the media realizes that they are above making the mistakes we made (all the while cribbing our best moves) has come out purporting yet again to have some sort "proof" that "the writers of Lost did not know what they were doing."

Eleven years on, even with all the media coverage, pre- and post-mortem interviews, reviews, critiques, tributes, lookbacks, and “oral histories”... even though Lost might as well hold a record as the most over-documented series in the history of television, many still feel like a definitive version of how we made the show has yet to be told.

This is not that.

I'm writing down my recollections of the early days of Lost for profoundly selfish reasons. After eleven years, the story I am about to tell, hopefully for the last time, continues to hold fascination for many. While I have been happy to tell it, and strive to do so with joy and gratitude for all that Lost did for me, there comes a time when the memories fade, and the instinct to embellish -- to make oneself the hero of every encounter, and, to borrow a term, to "retcon" -- takes over where reasonably factual recollection once stood....
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:59 pm

happy Lost Day (4-8-15)*. i will be buying a lottery ticket today at precisely 16:23:42 (by the 24-hour clock).
on second thought maybe that's not a great idea.

* and to all you europeans/UKers out there saying "Lost Day isn't til August" i'll just remind you that Lost is an American show and Hurley played the lottery in California so YOU WRONG.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Ribbons on Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:42 pm

Shit! I've got to go to 7-11. Maybe we can split the winnings.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Previous

Return to Coaxial