Community

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Community

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:12 am

i've been seeing promos for this on tv, but now that it's on the main site i can start a topic for it.

i haven't watched the episode (i'll wait for it to be on real tv to watch it) but the promos have looked pretty funny. like i said in the TB, i'm glad to see chevy chase doing a supporting role in something. the days when he could carry a film or tv series are long past, but i bet he'll be awesome in an ensemble... kinda like returning to his snl roots before it went to his head. the other people on the show look funny too. gotta remember to tivo this now.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Re: Community (with 100% more chevy chase)

Postby Ribbons on Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:30 am

It's not bad... I wouldn't say any of the jokes are laugh-out-loud funny (then again I hate it when critics use that term), but I like the tone, and it has the potential to go some interesting places. My one red flag is that I like the very small scale (obviously when your setting is a community college, or a "school-shaped toilet" as one character says in the pilot, the stakes aren't especially high), but I sense a lot of impending "Office"-esque plot developments where various characters have to decide whether to leave someone they love for a better job. Hopefully the writers and the characters are strong enough to avoid falling back on hoary old sitcom cliches, but we'll see.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fievel on Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:46 am

Chevy Chase doesn't say a whole lot in the pilot, but I'm pretty sure I laughed more at what he did in this one episode than anything he's done since Christmas Vacation. I'll watch it for sure and hope it gets better.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Ribbons on Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:49 pm

My favorite line from the pilot:

-"But I thought you had a Bachelor's from Columbia?"

-"Well, now I need one from America."
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby DerLanghaarige on Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:27 pm

Well, Herc liked it and while humor is definitely a subjective thing, it usually means that it's one unfunny piece of crap. But maybe it's one of the two shows per year, where he is seriously right. I wanted to watch it for Chevy Chase anyway. This guy is long overdue for any kind of comeback.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby DanielSan on Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:58 am

Just watched the pilot via Facebook. Very good possibilities! This could be Chevy's vehicle - a supporting character in an ensemble show. Really liked the Middle Eastern guy with Asperger's. (Huh, huh, huh. Ass Burgers.)
DanielSan
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby tapehead on Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:41 am

Just watched the first two eps - was quite taken by the Hughes / Breakfast club homage of the pilot, and the 'Dos Conquistadors' musical montage with Chevy Chase and Joel McHale at the end of the second ep did have me laughing out loud. I haven't seen Bored to Death or Glee yet, so this is the best new American show I've seen of all those starting in the last few weeks. So far it's pretty good.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Bloo on Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:45 pm

this is probably the best network sitcom I laughed pretty much throughout the 2nd episode, and McHale really showed in Ep 2 he can do a little more then be snarky

Bored to Death is great though
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:53 pm

I thought the first episode was dreadful until the last ten minutes, but the second episode was a riot. I am glad Chevy is getting some love. I have missed him.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:34 pm

This show is funny. Not continuously, but once or twice an ep for sure.

That is all.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:41 am

i said it elsewhere, so i'll repeat it here: i am officially declaring this show funnier than the office (usa).
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Bloo on Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:29 pm

TheBaxter wrote:i said it elsewhere, so i'll repeat it here: i am officially declaring this show funnier than the office (usa).

as much as I love the Office (US), I almost have to agree with you on that
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Ribbons on Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:32 pm

Yeah, Community has been pretty entertaining all season. I'm not sure how long the premise can sustain itself, but to be honest it's already been a lot funnier than I expected
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:38 pm

it was awesome seeing anthony michael hall on this show last night. he was perfectly cast as the bully.
but not having him share a scene or dialogue with chevy chase? what a missed opportunity! it would've been like a vacation reunion.

they should've had a part during the fight at the end where chevy grabs AMH and is about to punch him in the face, then drops his fast and says "i can't hit you. you remind me of my son rusty."
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Ribbons on Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:15 pm

I felt like they were almost giving a Vacation shoutout, or at least winking at the audience, when Chevy Chase said "He's a meathead who used to be a nerd; the most dangerous combo." But yeah, I was a little disappointed because I expected the two of them to tango at the end. Still, a good episode and an awesome guest performance by Anthony Michael Hall.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Bloo on Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:50 pm

yeah a good episode, if they bring AMH back, and it seems like his apperance was well recieved, so I'll predict he'll be back
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Ribbons on Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:33 am

I've been digging this a lot and try to catch it every week, but it's weird how all over the place it is, tonally. One episode it'll be super-realistic, the next Joel McHale is playing pool naked in front of the entire school. They've definitely tweaked it a bit since the pilot in ways I'm not sure I like. One of the things that hooked me about the premise is that everybody was kind of a loser (which is a pretty unusual starting point for a network sitcom), but somewhere along the line they morphed into Big Men on Campus. Still, it's often so funny that those things are pretty easy to forgive. I can't imagine how many stories they can squeeze out of the whole community college setting, and I'm kind of amazed that it's even gotten this far, but for now I'm along for the ride. Also, Abed is the man.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby John-Locke on Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:47 am

It's all about Senor Chang.

I've grown to really like the show, I certainly think it's the funniest thing on a Thursday Night even if it's not as well written plot wise as the other three NBC shows. It's just goofy and fun and very knowingly tongue in cheek, you can tell the cast are all enjoying working together too.

Plus Alison Brie is totally gorgeous, as is Gillian Jacobs. I don't think there is a weak member of the main cast, each adding a different dimension, even Chevy Chase is funny again.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:27 pm

katherine mcphee was HOTT in last week's episode. she should really give up singing and concentrate on acting. she's an average singer at best. she has a much brighter future as an actress.

i still say community is the funniest show on tv. that's out of the two sitcom shows i actually watch (this and the office), but nothing else on tv looks as funny either. it can be hit and miss like any show i guess, last week's episode was ho-hum (besides katherine mchphee's HOTTness) but the pool episode was hilarious.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Ribbons on Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:21 pm

John-Locke wrote:It's all about Senor Chang.

I've grown to really like the show, I certainly think it's the funniest thing on a Thursday Night even if it's not as well written plot wise as the other three NBC shows. It's just goofy and fun and very knowingly tongue in cheek, you can tell the cast are all enjoying working together too.

Plus Alison Brie is totally gorgeous, as is Gillian Jacobs. I don't think there is a weak member of the main cast, each adding a different dimension, even Chevy Chase is funny again.

Yeah, it's a definite ensemble. Everyone on the show is awesome, including Senor Chang and that guy who plays the principal.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:23 am

the last couple weeks were lackluster, but last night's episode was great. and there was hardly any senor chang either.
highlights: chevy chase unknowingly as the cookie crisp wizard. that hot brunette chick as a badass security guard. and i'm not the biggest abed fan, but his impersonation of a hardass chief of police/security was awesome.

even the office was funny again last night. maybe community is rubbing off on it finally.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:53 pm

TheBaxter wrote:the last couple weeks were lackluster, but last night's episode was great. and there was hardly any senor chang either.
highlights: chevy chase unknowingly as the cookie crisp wizard. that hot brunette chick as a badass security guard. and i'm not the biggest abed fan, but his impersonation of a hardass chief of police/security was awesome.

even the office was funny again last night. maybe community is rubbing off on it finally.

I actually wasn't a fan of this episode. It was just a bit to out there for me. I did like the Troy and Abed in the morning ending. I will say, though, that when Pierce reads Jeff's mind and goes "Dumbledore! Dumbledore! PENIS! TWO PENISES!" I lost it.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:41 pm

last night's chicken finger mafia episode was a CLASSIC
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby John-Locke on Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:24 pm

last night's chicken finger mafia episode was a CLASSIC DUH!

:wink:

Tonights episode was continuously hilarious, I love how they knowingly play with the genre conventions
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Bloo on Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:39 pm

Loved tonight's episode, I know the "what happens in the future" bit has been done quite a bit since Animal House, but I like how they really made it their own.

One thought that came to me though is, how are they going to expand this past 2 seasons as most community college students only go for 2 years.

unless your name is Bloo and you go for four years to get two associates degrees
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Ribbons on Fri May 14, 2010 2:40 am

Well, the season finale is fast approaching (next Thursday, to be precise) and looking back, I have to say I was not expecting to enjoy this show as much as I did. If you haven't seen much or any of it, at least acquaint yourself with this episode, where everything strangely awesome about Community is mashed together and cranked up to 11:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/147571/community-modern-warfare
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Bloo on Fri May 14, 2010 4:49 am

I figured I would enjoy McHale and that would be it, the whole cast though really just works together really well, like better then they should.

My only complaint is (and I've mentioned this a lot), they talk about Jeff needing his Bachlors Degree, but you can't get that at a community college.

This weeks episode was good, but compared to last week's, was lacking. I'm going to miss Senor Chang's "teaching" but I have a feeling they'll be making him a part of the group or giving Dr. Ken a break to pursue movies or whatever.
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby TheBaxter on Fri May 14, 2010 12:24 pm

i thought the idea was he had to go back and complete community college in order to get into a college where he could get his BA, not that he would get the degree at the community college.

anyway, last night's episode was pretty uneven. the plumber stuff with troy was pretty funny but didn't really go anywhere. maybe they'll pay it off later. not as good as the last couple episodes, but they can't all be that good.

senor chang on the key-tar was classic though.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Bob Samonkey on Fri May 14, 2010 5:27 pm

Ribbons wrote:Well, the season finale is fast approaching (next Thursday, to be precise) and looking back, I have to say I was not expecting to enjoy this show as much as I did. If you haven't seen much or any of it, at least acquaint yourself with this episode, where everything strangely awesome about Community is mashed together and cranked up to 11:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/147571/community-modern-warfare

Man you aint kidding. That was by far my favorite episode. The next in the list is a tie between the chicken finger episode and the Halloween one...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Bloo on Fri May 14, 2010 6:48 pm

TheBaxter wrote:i thought the idea was he had to go back and complete community college in order to get into a college where he could get his BA, not that he would get the degree at the community college.

anyway, last night's episode was pretty uneven. the plumber stuff with troy was pretty funny but didn't really go anywhere. maybe they'll pay it off later. not as good as the last couple episodes, but they can't all be that good.

maybe I don't know, just the way he was talking about having to pack his schedule for the next 3 years indicated, to me, that he was shooting to get his BA at Greendale. But that actually might make a funny scenerio in that he spends all this time at Greendale and can't get his BA there
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby TheBaxter on Sat May 15, 2010 9:47 am

Bloo wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:i thought the idea was he had to go back and complete community college in order to get into a college where he could get his BA, not that he would get the degree at the community college.

maybe I don't know, just the way he was talking about having to pack his schedule for the next 3 years indicated, to me, that he was shooting to get his BA at Greendale. But that actually might make a funny scenerio in that he spends all this time at Greendale and can't get his BA there

i thought i remembered something about him having to pass community college in order to get into a 4-year school because he couldn't get into any due to his fakery from sometime earlier in the season. but i don't know for sure. anyway, this isn't Lost so i'm not going to worry too much about logical or factual consistency.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Bloo on Sat May 15, 2010 9:58 am

it's a minor quibble and one I'm not going to worry about either
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Peven on Sat May 15, 2010 12:28 pm

the paint ball episode was all time classic great half-hour comedy.....

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Bloo on Sat May 15, 2010 5:21 pm

Peven wrote:the paint ball episode was all time classic great half-hour comedy.....

I've probably watched that episode a half dozen times
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby VegasRon on Sun May 16, 2010 5:55 pm

Peven wrote:the paint ball episode was all time classic great half-hour comedy.....

This really can't be quoted enough.

Easily the funniest 30 mins of network television in years.
You can't take the sky from me...
VegasRon
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby John-Locke on Thu May 20, 2010 10:47 pm

Who saw that one coming?

I did 8-)

It'll never last though.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby TheBaxter on Fri May 21, 2010 9:05 am

the finale wasn't really as funny as previous episodes. i agree the paintball episode should've been the finale. i still liked the whole thing with troy and the giant cookie though. also, "bring conan back!"
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby John-Locke on Fri May 21, 2010 12:13 pm

That British guy who plays the Professor is a complete bell end, he's not funny at all, he's the guy from the Daily Show or something right?

However Senor Chang's "I will find a loophole!" and the roll of quarters punch was great.

Abed wasn't in the episode enough which is why it wasn't really as funny as it could have been.

"Wait... am I black boobs?"

:lol:
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby TheBaxter on Fri May 21, 2010 1:34 pm

was i the only one who thought of LOST when i heard the "loophole" line?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Ribbons on Fri May 21, 2010 2:09 pm

No, I thought that's what they were going for too. I half-expected the other guy to say something like "Guess you found your loophole" later on in the episode.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheBaxter on Fri May 21, 2010 4:26 pm

yeah, i was wondering if it was unintentional or just a really subtle reference. but if it was a reference, they never really paid it off by having senor chang turn into a smoke monster or anything like that.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Bloo on Sat May 22, 2010 10:40 am

it was a good solid finale, but the paintball one would have been a better one, and then Senor Chang would have had a purpose in being in the game but at the same time that ep set up several things in the finale (Britta and Jeff sleeping together, Senor Chang actually being a student, etc)

they are really devolping a nice "community" around the study group, with guys like Starburns, Vaughn, Leonard, John Micheal Higgins professor, even John Oliver (who I think has only been on 3 episodes?), it would have been nice if either Owen Wilson, Jack Black or Patton could have been back just for a short cameo, like in the tag.

Not enough Abed agreed, but what he had was great. And Troy talking about the Jump The Shark ep of Happy Days being "the best one ever" was good too.

Strongest debut show of the season in my opinon. followed by Justified, The Middle, and Modern Family.
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:04 am

if the season premiere was any indication, this show is going to be just as funny in S2 as it was in S1.
betty white was a bit obvious (one snickers commercial and suddenly she's everywhere? c'mon), and abed's self-referential schtick is in danger of getting old pretty soon. but everything else in the episode was spot on.

* troy waking up in spiderman pj's
* the not-so-subtle digs at "$#!*$%!^$^%$^%$^%$ My Dad Says"
* "any room in those pockets for a little spare Chang?"
* pee in the face
* the Chang/Smeagol soliloquy

this show is still Streets Ahead
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Peven on Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:21 pm

anyone catch this weeks show? i was laughing my ass off, great show, riffing on the whole "meta" thing...the "hits" for this show are so fucking good that i can easily overlook the "misses"

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:46 pm

This was one of the best episodes the show has done. Up there with the paintball and chicken fingers episodes. It manages to be funny and sentimental without being sappy. Also, it's nice that they never once really make fun of pierce or shirley for their beliefs.

Even pierces cult religion ends up being treated fairly by the end of that episode.

They somehow manage the delicate line of being able to make the jokes but having the characters feel real and treating them all with respect.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Bloo on Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:00 am

yeah I thought this weeks episode was really quite well done
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:31 am

yes, after the great season premiere, there have been some duds this season, but last week's episode was damn good.

WWAD (what would abed do?)
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fievel on Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:26 pm

The Halloween episode was awesome.
Zombies, men punching women (twice), Peggy Flemming, and even a Wilhelm scream.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Peven on Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:49 pm

this show has so much fun with each episode's theme and for me it is infectious. i mean, who else here wouldn't LOVE to get the chance to be part of even one episode?

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:37 pm

YOU PUNCHED A LADY BEE!!!

Such an awesome episode. That's going to be among the best halloween episodes ever.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Next

Return to Coaxial