The Walking Dead

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Re: The Walking Dead (Spoilers)

Postby Hermanator X on Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:30 pm

I worked through pretty much the whole compendium (issues 1 to 48) yesterday (it was halloween after all). Looking forward to seeing the tale unfold on the tv show, and im liking the differences thus far. Just gotta try and convince the missus to watch it....
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Fievel on Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:48 pm

I wonder how many people turned the show off after that opening scene. I had watched a bunch of the early behind-the-scenes stuff so that scene was pretty well spoiled before I watched it. For me it showed how far AMC is willing to let them take the series, as well as showing how far Darabont & Co. are willing to push it. It's been a long time since I have read that first issue so I don't remember if that was in the book or not.

The only part of the comics that even comes close to that... and ultimately way BEYOND that is the story with (book spoiler) The Governor. And I could have sworn I read a Darabont quote saying that they wanted to do that story if they were given a second season.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby so sorry on Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:59 pm

Fievel wrote:I wonder how many people turned the show off after that opening scene.

Speaking of which... didn't that opening scene seem out of place? What kind of flashback was that anyway?
We see him run out of gas at the farmhouse where he picks up the horse, but in that opening scene he's still driving his cruiser (and needs gas).
So Scene 1 is a flashback between pre-zombie holocaust and Atlanta? Twas confusing to me.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby darkjedijaina on Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:27 pm

maybe it was a dream? or maybe it was the first time he ran out of gas...

idk....

it was a little confusing...
darkjedijaina
BAD ASH

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:40 pm

so sorry wrote:
Fievel wrote:I wonder how many people turned the show off after that opening scene.

Speaking of which... didn't that opening scene seem out of place? What kind of flashback was that anyway?
We see him run out of gas at the farmhouse where he picks up the horse, but in that opening scene he's still driving his cruiser (and needs gas).
So Scene 1 is a flashback between pre-zombie holocaust and Atlanta? Twas confusing to me.

He started driving in his car. Eventually he passed a petrol station and, with it being the logical thing to do, stops to see if he can fill a spare tank. Only finding a zombie girl, he continues on but runs out of petrol near the farmhouse with the horse.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:57 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
so sorry wrote:

He started driving in his car. Eventually he passed a petrol station and, with it being the logical thing to do, stops to see if he can fill a spare tank. Only finding a zombie girl, he continues on but runs out of petrol near the farmhouse with the horse.

Yeah I got that. But it was a bit disjointed.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby papalazeru on Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:03 pm

I really enjoyed the pacing of the show. It's perfect for me to buy 2 of the graphic novels every month to keep in tune with the series.

It didn't look like there was too much deviation from the novel apart from the expanding of the characters, which was needed, and the tank scene.

9.5/10 for a first episode.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:11 pm

so sorry wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:
so sorry wrote:

Not really.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:26 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
so sorry wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:
so sorry wrote:

Not really.

Yes really.

Want to keep going?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby papalazeru on Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:45 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
so sorry wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:
so sorry wrote:

Not really.

It certainly gave it the difference from being 28 Days Later, and maybe that's why. It still worked for me, he was carrying the gas can at the farm house and this scene, there was no need to repeat this scene again for the comfort of the viewer, it would have just been wasted space that could have gone on more brain eating.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:58 pm

so sorry wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:
so sorry wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:
so sorry wrote:

Not really.

Yes really.

Want to keep going?

Yes, because:

- it was established that he was in a car and would need to refuel at some point.
- it was established that he had stopped off at a petrol station at some point, but not got any fuel
- we saw him run out of fuel.
- Lennie James

Now when you take all of that into account (especially the last point) it doesn't take a super-computer to figure it out.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:04 pm

Fievel wrote:The only part of the comics that even comes close to that... and ultimately way BEYOND that is the story with (book spoiler) The Governor. And I could have sworn I read a Darabont quote saying that they wanted to do that story if they were given a second season.

He definitely said he wants to do that story in the future maybe in season 2, which seems damn likely now that the ratings were huge for cable. Now as long as it isnt ratings anemic im sure we'll see at least a second season.

Estimated 5.3 Million viewers.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby so sorry on Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:14 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
so sorry wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:
so sorry wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:
so sorry wrote:

Not really.

Yes really.

Want to keep going?

Yes, because:

- it was established that he was in a car and would need to refuel at some point.
- it was established that he had stopped off at a petrol station at some point, but not got any fuel
- we saw him run out of fuel.
- Lennie James

Now when you take all of that into account (especially the last point) it doesn't take a super-computer to figure it out.

Le sigh. I'm not saying that what happened in the opening scene was confusing or disjointed. What I'm saying is that the point of the opening scene is what was off to me.
Why did we need to see that flash forward/backwards/sideways in the first two minutes of the show? What was THE POINT OF IT? Is this series going to use that device more often? Will we get other flash-whatevers? If the answer is no, then again, I think it was a sloppy thing to start with.

The way I see it, the point was not to start a show about zombies with 20 minutes of not seeing zombies (I didn't use a stop watch to come up with that number genius so don't try and throw it back in my face). So they literally cut out a scene that belongs 3/4 of the way thru the episode and stuck it right on the front haphazardly IN MY OPINION.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby DennisMM on Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:45 pm

It's a true teaser. It was to demonstrate to the audience --- a TV audience, not having paid for it, quite possibly not going to watch if not grabbed quickly -- what the show was willing to do in terms of content and gore level. "Jebus! He shot a little girl!" "Yeah, but she was a zombie, so it's okay" No more meaning than that. I don't expect the same tactic to be used frequently.

I was rather more surprised by the "foul language" heard a number of times than I was by the violence and gore. You can say "shit" on AMC? I don't watch their originals, so I had no idea. Apparently, you can't closed-caption it. "Shit" and "bitch" were represented by the initial letter and then a string of lower-case "à."
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby TheButcher on Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:54 pm

From THR:
'Walking Dead' a Monster Smash
James Hibberd wrote:AMC's The Walking Dead premiere ratings are enormous: The 90-minute Halloween night debut delivered 5.3 million viewers and a 3.3 adults 18-49 rating.

That's the largest demo audience for any series premiere on any cable network this year.

It's also the highest numbers for any series in AMC's history, and beat most non-sports programs on broadcast Sunday night.

The critically acclaimed zombie drama was by no means a sure-fire ratings victory. Industry insiders wondered whether female viewers would be drawn to the gory and apocalyptic subject matter. But mounting buzz on the show ever since its trailed debuted at Comic-Con made Walking Dead a must-see among genre fans.

“It’s a good day to be dead. We are so proud of this series, its depth of storytelling and the remarkable talent attached,” said Charlie Collier, AMC’s president. “As the network dedicated to bringing viewers the best stories on television, we are so pleased to have the opportunity with The Walking Dead to raise the bar within this popular genre and continue our commitment to being the home of premium television on basic cable.”

“The Walking Dead is that rare piece of programming that works on so many levels. It is legitimately great storytelling that is not only highly entertaining, but incredibly thought provoking as well. People who are familiar with the comic books know what's coming, but suffice it to say, this is only the beginning of a long, intense, and powerful ride. Long live The Walking Dead,” said Joel Stillerman, AMC’s SVP of original programming, production and digital content.

An aside: I've seen through episode three and if you liked the premiere you're going to love the next two hours.

Unless Walking Dead suffers an enormous ratings drop off in the coming weeks, a second season order is very likely. These numbers are well above the bar set by Mad Men and Breaking Bad.

From Deadline:
Nellie Andreeva wrote:Following AMC’s most expansive promotional campaign, the cable network's new drama The Walking Dead launched with more that 5.3 total million viewers last night, the largest audience for an original series on AMC. In adults 18-49, Walking Dead garnered 3.6 million viewers to become the highest-rated cable series premiere in 2010. In addition to the original 10 PM airing, AMC reran the Walking Dead pilot at 11:30 PM and 1 AM for a cumulative audience of 8.1 million viewers. “It’s a good day to be dead," said AMC president Charlie Collier "We are so proud of this series, its depth of storytelling and the remarkable talent attached.”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TonyWilson on Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:59 pm

Wonderful news, I can see this being up there with The Shield, Buffy/Angel and BSG (first 3.5 seasons at least) as a perfect example of a transcendent genre show.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby MasterWhedon on Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:30 pm

so sorry wrote:Le sigh. I'm not saying that what happened in the opening scene was confusing or disjointed. What I'm saying is that the point of the opening scene is what was off to me.
Why did we need to see that flash forward/backwards/sideways in the first two minutes of the show? What was THE POINT OF IT? Is this series going to use that device more often? Will we get other flash-whatevers? If the answer is no, then again, I think it was a sloppy thing to start with.

The way I see it, the point was not to start a show about zombies with 20 minutes of not seeing zombies (I didn't use a stop watch to come up with that number genius so don't try and throw it back in my face). So they literally cut out a scene that belongs 3/4 of the way thru the episode and stuck it right on the front haphazardly IN MY OPINION.

In the version of the script I read back when, the opening scene was actually revisited (in an abbreviated manner) later in the episode, where it would have fit in chronologically. That version, however, had a slightly different ending. The teaser played out exactly the same, but when Rick shoots the girl, the gunshot wakes up all the zombies parked in the surrounding cars. So you cut to titles on the "OH FUX0RS!!" moment, and then later you go back to see him squirm out of it. Ultimately, I like the trimmed version more, mosly because of what it says about the show's priorities. They'd rather spend the time focusing on Rick's reaction to shooting a little girl than giving you a quick, easy scare.

An excellent, excellent opening, which improves on the comic in every way. This is the type of zombie story I've wanted to see on screen for a long time.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Fievel on Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:56 am

MasterWhedon wrote:This is the type of zombie story I've wanted to see on screen for a long time.

Isn't that really the simple truth of it?

When I think of a zombie apocalypse (and really, these days, who doesn't?) I think of days, months, and years of stories. I love the original Romero films, but I always wondered what happened next after the end of the film. Something happened to the surviving characters. What was it?
The Walking Dead comic has shown plenty of "what happens next" stories, and that's what this TV show is going to bring us.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:02 am

nothing much to add, except i also thought it was great. very well done in every aspect. and nice to see the black guy from jericho getting some work, he was the best character on jericho and he's equally good in this. i'm sure we'll see him again, right? right?

the only thing i didn't care for was the cgi blood on a couple of the head shots seemed a bit obvious.

oh, and fuck directv and/or amc for NOT having amc in hd. FUCK THEM UP THEIR ASSES. oh well, guess it gives me an excuse to rewatch when they come out on bluray.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby swoop91 on Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:40 am

l2torrentz
swoop91
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Nice Marmot on Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:45 pm

FINALLY got to see on the DVR last night. My wife agreed to watch it but was too tired on Sunday. RRRRGGGGHHH . ..

I loved it. Fantastic. Creepy. Emotional. Exciting.

I didn't care for the protagonist's partner's annoying, unfunny light switch diatribe. Also, thought some of the CGI blood and flies looked really bad. Come on, if you can do such wonderful makeup jobs, you can't splatter some fake blood around? MINOR complaints though.

My wife actually liked it! UNTIL, the poor horsey got killed. I swear, she could handle the entire human populace biting it, but if one animal gets killed, boo hoo hoo . . . And having read the comics, I knew it was coming . . .
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:11 pm

Nice Marmot wrote:My wife actually liked it! UNTIL, the poor horsey got killed. I swear, she could handle the entire human populace biting it, but if one animal gets killed, boo hoo hoo . . . And having read the comics, I knew it was coming . . .

I got the same reaction. :-p
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby The Garbage Man on Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:22 pm

DennisMM wrote:I was rather more surprised by the "foul language" heard a number of times than I was by the violence and gore. You can say "shit" on AMC?

Yep. My understanding is you can legally say anything you like on any of the cable networks but internal policies vary based on the network and on time of day (AFAIK, the "safe harbor" provision allowing broadcast networks to air what they like after 10 PM without running into problems with the FCC doesn't apply to cable). On AMC, "shit" is the worst I've heard but FX regularly allows programs like "It's Always Sunny," "Archer," and "Louis" to use whatever language they like with only a few exceptions. Comedy Central, on the other hand, occasionally has "anything goes" periods, language-wise, wherein they air unedited material late at night.

TheBaxter wrote:and nice to see the black guy from jericho getting some work, he was the best character on jericho and he's equally good in this. i'm sure we'll see him again, right? right?

Minor comic spoilers:
The comics briefly caught up with Morgan and Duane some months later for, if memory serves, a one-shot issue set during Christmas. I hope they do that on the show; Lennie James was my favorite part of the pilot.

Loved the pilot but I hope Jon Bernthal's acting improves. I especially like that the series is taking things slowly and isn't in a rush to burn through issues, unlike so many comic adaptations. Based on the pilot and the fact that Shane's apparently around for all of season 1, I wouldn't expect (or want) to see The Governor until season 3, at the earliest.
Last edited by The Garbage Man on Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby Nice Marmot on Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:22 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
Nice Marmot wrote:My wife actually liked it! UNTIL, the poor horsey got killed. I swear, she could handle the entire human populace biting it, but if one animal gets killed, boo hoo hoo . . . And having read the comics, I knew it was coming . . .

Does she look at you in disgust as if you wrote it or something?
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON

Postby Nachokoolaid on Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:39 am

Great show! I don't really like zombies or horror stuff in general, but I dig Darabont, and I thought I'd give this a go. I DVR'd it, and I'm really glad I did. Great show. Love the zombie make-up/effects. The atmosphere is infectious (HA HA). Seriously though, great stuff. I love how the rules of the zombies and the world are established fairly quickly, and it's very comfortable in the world it creates.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Maui on Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:47 am

Finally got around to watching this. Great episode and I'm looking forward to seeing who is on the other end of that CB transmission.

The scenes with Morgan, Duane and the zombie Mom were both beautiful and haunting. It actually upset me more than the horse dissection, seeing Duane cry into the pillows and his Dad trying to console and keep him quiet at the same time.

Killing the small girl at the beginning of the episode definitely sets the tone. The mercy kill towards the end of the episode was a nice touch too.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Brit Pop on Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:52 am

Awesome first episode, obviously you can breathe new life into the zombie genre.

Is TV and film so violent and / or gory that we have become desensitised to graphic scenes?

Well, shooting a little girl in the face just dont do it for me anymore... maybe 15 years ago...
Brit Pop
AIRWOLF

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:12 pm

Brit Pop wrote:Awesome first episode, obviously you can breathe new life into the zombie genre.

Is TV and film so violent and / or gory that we have become desensitised to graphic scenes?

Well, shooting a little girl in the face just dont do it for me anymore... maybe 15 years ago...

It depends how annoying/decayed the little girl is.

Personally, I thought the legless zombie in the park was rather unsettling.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:16 pm

Fried Gold wrote:Personally, I thought the legless zombie in the park was rather unsettling.

That zombie just looked amazing. The single leg bone was a nice touch, too!
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:56 pm

the thing i really liked about the legless zombie was when he says "i'm sorry this happened to you" before putting it down. and how pathetic this zombie looked trying to reach for him. i'd seen that line before in the ads or somewhere, but in context, i really liked it. i liked how that scene, and how the scenes with the dad and boy and their zombie mommy, emphasized the idea that these were real people with lives and thoughts and feelings before they became zombies, and the show acknowledged what little bit of humanity was left in them. that's an idea that sometimes gets lost or shortchanged in modern zombie fiction that emphasizes the scares and gore over the idea of what those zombies really represent.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:13 pm

Fievel wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:Personally, I thought the legless zombie in the park was rather unsettling.

That zombie just looked amazing. The single leg bone was a nice touch, too!

I was trying to work out how they did it - either paraplegic actor, actor with bluescreen legs or animatronic puppet thing.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nice Marmot on Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:55 pm

Brit Pop wrote:Well, shooting a little girl in the face just dont do it for me anymore... maybe 15 years ago...

I was thinking the exact same thing. Immediately thought, "well, that little tidbit was to shock the casual viewer. Any zombie fan would think capping her was a no-brainer."
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON

Postby SilentBobX on Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:13 pm

Nice Marmot wrote:
Brit Pop wrote:Well, shooting a little girl in the face just dont do it for me anymore... maybe 15 years ago...

I was thinking the exact same thing. Immediately thought, "well, that little tidbit was to shock the casual viewer. Any zombie fan would think capping her was a no-brainer."

Agreed.

My first immediate thought was that outrage would follow, but again, she was a zombie, had to be done. And of course after that, I thought of Assault on Precint 13(orig.) for some odd reason.....

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:33 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:

The text message from one of my best friends (who is a pet trainer) read "Fuck the Walking Dead and its horse killing" :lol:

She's gonna stick with it though, mostly because I'm forcing her to.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby The Vicar on Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:49 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:The text message from one of my best friends (who is a pet trainer) read "Fuck the Walking Dead and its horse killing" :lol:

She needs to employ a little perspective - there's been a Zombie Holocaust, most of humanity is eating the rest of it, and the zombies are supposed to pass on a nice fresh horseburger?
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby TonyWilson on Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:57 pm

Women (sorry to generalise here) go nuts when animals get killed in movies, horses and dogs especially. It's weird, I can perhaps understand the idea that "oh but the pretty horsey was just an innocent animal" but come on, most people are innocent of anything that would make death deserved yet the animal fans barely make a peep when humans get murderised in horrible ways, even if it's a kid.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:57 pm

Nice Marmot wrote:

i saw what you did there.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:09 pm

Why would anyone take the "killing" of a horse or a small girl seriously in such a non-serious zombie-genre show?

Maybe if he shoved his revolver somewhere inappropriate THEN shot her, well there's cause for a little outrage. But just shooting a zombie girl in the head? Big whoop.

And the horse deserved it. Everyone knows horses, like dogs, have a keen sense of smell and should have clip-clopped his hooves on the pavement to tell his rider that zombies were just around the corner.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Peven on Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:13 pm

TheBaxter wrote:the thing i really liked about the legless zombie was when he says "i'm sorry this happened to you" before putting it down. and how pathetic this zombie looked trying to reach for him. i'd seen that line before in the ads or somewhere, but in context, i really liked it. i liked how that scene, and how the scenes with the dad and boy and their zombie mommy, emphasized the idea that these were real people with lives and thoughts and feelings before they became zombies, and the show acknowledged what little bit of humanity was left in them. that's an idea that sometimes gets lost or shortchanged in modern zombie fiction that emphasizes the scares and gore over the idea of what those zombies really represent.

i agree with this post 100%

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TonyWilson on Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:17 pm

I wouldn't call it "non serious" though SS, sure it's a genre show but it's hardly got a light or frivolous tone. It's pretty dour and committed to cataloguing the squalid desperate fight for survival come the apocalypse.
Agreed the horse should have sensed that Zombie horde, what a dumbass.

Edit, and yes I agree with Baxter and Peven about the crawling zombie, best moment of the show as far as I'm concerned.
TonyWilson

Postby Peven on Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:17 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:

The text message from one of my best friends (who is a pet trainer) read "Fuck the Walking Dead and its horse killing" :lol:

they DO realize that the horse only died in the pretend world of the show, right, and that in "real life" probably leads a more comfortable existence than most of us do? :-P :wink:

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby The Vicar on Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:26 pm

so sorry wrote:Why would anyone take the "killing" of a horse or a small girl seriously in such a non-serious zombie-genre show?

Maybe if he shoved his revolver somewhere inappropriate THEN shot her, well there's cause for a little outrage. But just shooting a zombie girl in the head? Big whoop.

And the horse deserved it. Everyone knows horses, like dogs, have a keen sense of smell and should have clip-clopped his hooves on the pavement to tell his rider that zombies were just around the corner.

Absolutely gorram right.
The Vicar

Postby Pacino86845 on Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:37 pm

what the fuck, it's a horse not a radar. The poor thing was already very uneasy at being in Atlanta at all because it sensed zombies, but that's not good enough for you guys apparently. You want your horses as living precision zombie-detecting instruments, able to tell you the number and locations of all zombies within a mile radius. :roll:
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Nachokoolaid on Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:48 pm

What was the biggest scare of the show for everyone?

For me it was the part where our main character is sitting on the curb after getting back to his house and we see the silhouette of a body appear directly behind him. I was sure it was a zombie, but it was simply the black son. That part freaked me out the most.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Peven on Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:55 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:what the fuck, it's a horse not a radar. The poor thing was already very uneasy at being in Atlanta at all because it sensed zombies, but that's not good enough for you guys apparently. You want your horses as living precision zombie-detecting instruments, able to tell you the number and locations of all zombies within a mile radius. :roll:

yeah, anyone who has spent any time around horses knows that that horse had already gone above and beyond, just getting it that far into the city passed the zombies was more than what you could reasonably expect from one, they are very skittish and high strung animals. that dude could have had a vehicle to use if he had just had the balls to look around further for the keys to that truck, and been much safer, but he let a couple corpses scare him off. deciding to ride a horse was just plain stupid. just like the guy talking to him on the radio called him, "dumbass"

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby justcheckin on Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:08 pm

I don't watch a lot of TV and I just read about this show... can't wait to see it.
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby The Vicar on Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:16 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:what the fuck, it's a horse not a radar. The poor thing was already very uneasy at being in Atlanta at all because it sensed zombies, but that's not good enough for you guys apparently. You want your horses as living precision zombie-detecting instruments, able to tell you the number and locations of all zombies within a mile radius. :roll:

Who wouldn't? Our hero wouldn't have ended up trapped in a tank if that horse was on his game...... :wink:
The Vicar

Postby darkjedijaina on Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:37 pm

i didn't find any of it frightening at all. (probably cos i've read some of the GN)

it felt and is much more a drama than it is a horror show.

a drama set in a horrific environment.

it's new. it's fresh. it has braaaaiiiiinnnnnnssss. ;)
darkjedijaina
BAD ASH

Postby DennisMM on Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:40 pm

If I anticipate the loose adaptation of the comic, the man on the radio is probably a member of Shane's group, a rather young and feckless fellow.

The comic definitely is a drama more than a horror story. The covers of the collections describe it as a continuing story of survival. That's pretty accurate.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby GhostXIII on Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:00 am

Hi...
About the gas sation scene again. The rest of the scene (zombies getting out form cars) was shot (we see it in the SDCC trailer) - so like in the script mentioned here... what we see it's different version of the scene (the SDCC trailer shows like it's shot from the cars... the zombie opens his eyes, after the shots more of them wakes up). I was really hoping to see that later in the pilot, however it was not used at all (:((( bummer). I'm wondering if it will be shown at the beginnig of the second episode for another strong teaser scene, or some extended version of the first episode... what do U think???
GhostXIII
GLIB

PreviousNext

Return to Coaxial