The Walking Dead

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Re: The Walking Dead

Postby The Vicar on Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:39 pm

DerLanghaarige wrote:
Fievel wrote: You'll just want to avoid the thread for those 5 days.

If I can avoid ANY discussion about the Lost finale for three months, I will be able to stay away from the Walking Dead thread for less than a week. :D

Not if we all PM you like rabid ferrets.....

Whaaat?
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby papalazeru on Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:03 pm

The wait is intolerable. Truly intolerable. It looks fantastic.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Fievel on Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:55 pm

DerLanghaarige wrote:
Fievel wrote: You'll just want to avoid the thread for those 5 days.

If I can avoid ANY discussion about the Lost finale for three months, I will be able to stay away from the Walking Dead thread for less than a week. :D

Wow! If there was an Iron Will award in The Zone, I think you'd be a strong candidate!!
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TonyWilson on Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:05 pm

Yeah I am very much looking forward to this, Darabont doing Zombies is good enough, that it's based on what is probably the best Zombie story in any medium and has a very cool cast plus Nicotero make-up that looks stunningly creepy, gross and crucially sad/pathetic the project is pure geek heaven. Oh and not forgetting the extremely smart and cool tracks on the trailer, hopefully it'll have a superb soundtrack too.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Hermanator X on Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:59 am

I had been meaning to get into the books for these for an age. With the announcement for the show, I thought, ah what the hell, ill just buy them now finally.

So I ordered the first compendium (volumes 1 to 8) from a bookstore here, to avoid customs issues, and crazy postage. It was processing for MONTHS then just dropped from my account, with no mail or info to say why. I guess they couldnt get a hold of it, as its not available to buy from that store anymore.
Anyhoo, that was 3 months wasted waiting, and I now have the bug.

So I thought to hell with it, im gonna order em from overseas, who cares about expensive shipping. So I ordered compendium 1 and 2 (2 is just recently released I think).
So now on my shelf, I have book 2, sitting lonely, while omnibus 1 languishes in internet delivery hell.

Omnibus 2 is a thing of beauty, and its huge, but im hesitant to even flip through a few pages incase I get hit with some spoilers.

Im sure it will get here eventually, but after taking delivery of book 2 on friday, I felt the need to vent.
Now the dilemma is do I read them before the show, or vice versa? hmmmmmmm
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby The Vicar on Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:05 am

I'd wait. Give the show a chance to stand on its own, then you can roll back and compare.
The Vicar

Postby Hermanator X on Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:21 am

What a boob. Ive just realised Ive bought the compendium that collects issues 1 to 48, and the omnibus volume 2, which collects issues 25 to 48. Quite an overlap.
I didnt notice the difference between "compendium" and "omnibus" in the titles before now. And the fact that "Customers who bought this, also bought" suggestion made me think "Hey, theres the second lot!" Facepalm.
Ah well, thats my brothers Xmas present sorted..... once I get a hold of omnibus 1.......
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Peven on Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:46 am

Hermanator X wrote:What a boob. Ive just realised Ive bought the compendium that collects issues 1 to 48, and the omnibus volume 2, which collects issues 25 to 48. Quite an overlap.
I didnt notice the difference between "compendium" and "omnibus" in the titles before now. And the fact that "Customers who bought this, also bought" suggestion made me think "Hey, theres the second lot!" Facepalm.
Ah well, thats my brothers Xmas present sorted..... once I get a hold of omnibus 1.......

you fell right into their trap. they didn't package them like that on accident :wink:

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Hermanator X on Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:58 am

Tru dat.
Need to take a look into how do this cost effectively. Omnibus 1 goes for £275 at the moment. Which is not what I want to spend on a xmas present.
But "books" 1 and 2, which collect 12 issues each, go for a lot cheaper. Then there are "volumes" which collect less than the books, so maybe run a little more expensive cumulatively.

This is why I stopped buying comics all those years ago.....

Its madness. Anyhoo, cant wait for the show. (apologies for the threadjack, and comic n00b embarrassment :roll: )
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Peven on Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:50 am

no threadjacking to apologize for, man, it's all relevant :D

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby DerLanghaarige on Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:16 pm

Fievel wrote:Wow! If there was an Iron Will award in The Zone, I think you'd be a strong candidate!!

I hope it not gonna be re-named into Triumph Of The Will award then.
Woah, Nazi joke! :lol:
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Ribbons on Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:27 am

Fievel wrote:
DerLanghaarige wrote:If I can avoid ANY discussion about the Lost finale for three months, I will be able to stay away from the Walking Dead thread for less than a week. :D

Wow! If there was an Iron Will award in The Zone, I think you'd be a strong candidate!!

Seriously. :shock:

As someone who also reads the TalkBacks a lot I can safely say that is no easy task, since anything even kind of remotely tangentially related seems to be enough to set people off.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby The Vicar on Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:31 pm

DerLanghaarige wrote:
Fievel wrote:Wow! If there was an Iron Will award in The Zone, I think you'd be a strong candidate!!

I hope it not gonna be re-named into Triumph Of The Will award then.
Woah, Nazi joke! :lol:

And here I've been complaining about the dearth of Germanic Standup Comics........
Good on ya, mate!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
The Vicar

Postby John-Locke on Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:25 am

FYI the Pilot has leaked onto the net, if you go looking for news you might end up getting spoiled.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby ONeillSG1 on Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:38 am

I believe this is fan made, but it is STELLAR. Check it out!
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby TonyWilson on Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:47 pm

The greatest 67 minutes of TV (and possibly film too) this year. And the best pilot for a show ever, yup even better than The Shield's first ep.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:37 pm

TonyWilson wrote:The greatest 67 minutes of TV (and possibly film too) this year. And the best pilot for a show ever, yup even better than The Shield's first ep.

I watched it tonight too. Awesomeness all around. My finacee really liked it too. It totally freaked her out at points.

Theres some damn good gore in there. Way more than i was anticipating for TV.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Fievel on Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:08 pm

Damn you both!
I have to watch Orson Wells' A Touch of Evil and then I'm all over this.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby The Vicar on Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:14 pm

Now hold on one damned minute.....where are you guys seeing this?
How did the pilot end up on the net?
How in unholyfuckcakes can I see this?
Mongo want now.
The Vicar

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:11 pm

Im assuming its a critic screener.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby GhostXIII on Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:39 am

Hello! I've also watched the preair version. It's not 90mins long... it's 67mins... on amc site we can see that the premiere episode will be 90mins... the only thing i think of is that there are 2 versions of the pilot epsiode. I feel something is missing in this preair version the only gas station scene is the "flashback" scene on the start, i thought that this scene will be shown before Rick talks to the radio in his car, plus the gas station scene should be expanded... after little girl gets shot, roamers form the cars around the station wake up and chase Rick So maybe the scene will return in next episodes or in the expanded version of the pilot. This is just my thoughts... cause 67mins are not 90mins at all.
Regards!
GhostXIII
GLIB

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:00 am

GhostXIII wrote:Hello! I've also watched the preair version. It's not 90mins long... it's 67mins... on amc site we can see that the premiere episode will be 90mins... the only thing i think of is that there are 2 versions of the pilot epsiode. I feel something is missing in this preair version the only gas station scene is the "flashback" scene on the start, i thought that this scene will be shown before Rick talks to the radio in his car, plus the gas station scene should be expanded... after little girl gets shot, roamers form the cars around the station wake up and chase Rick So maybe the scene will return in next episodes or in the expanded version of the pilot. This is just my thoughts... cause 67mins are not 90mins at all.
Regards!

67 + Commercials = approximately 90 minutes.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby papalazeru on Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:27 am

Argh! Must stop looking at this damned thread till it comes out.

I'm trying so hard to keep myself pure!!!! I'll probably buy the comics later on today.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby so sorry on Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:43 am

The Vicar wrote:Now hold on one damned minute.....where are you guys seeing this?
How did the pilot end up on the net?
How in unholyfuckcakes can I see this?
Mongo want now.

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Wait for it Vicar, don't seek it out on the web. Resist.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:45 am

The first episode is ultimate brill skills of the highest order.

The legless zombie was rather creepy.

My only quibble was the terrible acting from Jon Bernthal
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:01 am

I'm begging you guys who seek out and track down the net episode to keep the spoilers out of this thread!

I'm not throwing around any ban-hammer threats, just asking you nicely to please please please not say anything in here. Its still a week away from airing and I don't want to go into shut down mode in this thread.

PLEASE
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Fievel on Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:30 am

10 Days!
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby GhostXIII on Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:32 am

stereosforgeeks wrote:
GhostXIII wrote:Hello! I've also watched the preair version. It's not 90mins long... it's 67mins... on amc site we can see that the premiere episode will be 90mins... the only thing i think of is that there are 2 versions of the pilot epsiode. I feel something is missing in this preair version the only gas station scene is the "flashback" scene on the start, i thought that this scene will be shown before Rick talks to the radio in his car, plus the gas station scene should be expanded... after little girl gets shot, roamers form the cars around the station wake up and chase Rick So maybe the scene will return in next episodes or in the expanded version of the pilot. This is just my thoughts... cause 67mins are not 90mins at all.
Regards!

67 + Commercials = approximately 90 minutes.

Maybe you're right, but i still feel some footage is missing. We'll find out on halloween!
GhostXIII
GLIB

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:44 am

so sorry wrote:I'm begging you guys who seek out and track down the net episode to keep the spoilers out of this thread!

I'm not throwing around any ban-hammer threats, just asking you nicely to please please please not say anything in here. Its still a week away from airing and I don't want to go into shut down mode in this thread.

PLEASE

With regards to this, and to make it easier to seek out, feel free to PM me for the link.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:35 am

stereosforgeeks wrote:
TonyWilson wrote:The greatest 67 minutes of TV (and possibly film too) this year. And the best pilot for a show ever, yup even better than The Shield's first ep.

I watched it tonight too. Awesomeness all around. My finacee really liked it too. It totally freaked her out at points.

Theres some damn good gore in there. Way more than i was anticipating for TV.

Blanket Spoiler Text just to be safe, don't worry, SS.

Yeh the gore is really good and really hardcore. I think the first dead body Rick sees in the hospital, the woman who had been reduced to a just a head and bloody skeleton had me literally gasping for a second, so very realistic and brutal. I thought the way the camera lingered over all the rotting bodies really emphasised how the show is about the ultimate fear of death, not just that Zombies are going to eat you but the very fact of death, life being temporary and all that. It lets you know theres much more on the show's mind than just wanting to scare you and show you some awesome gore and headshots. Obviously from a technical standpoint it's on another level, I can't remember much more horrifying and yet sad sights than the crawling zombie girl in the park.

At first I thought it was a little odd to have the pre credits teaser being Rick's encounter with the Zombie kid when looking for gas, I'd read Quint's really great set reports about the shooting of that scene and having it be the first thing on the show was distracting, but in fact it's a smart move because after the opening credits we get a really nice extended scene of Rick and his partner talking about wives and girlfriends and it's a solid piece of human drama, I'm sure AMC or Darabont thought it was prudent to start the show off with a bang and then slow it down for a few minutes.
TonyWilson

Re: The Walking Dead (Spoilers)

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:34 am

TonyWilson wrote:At first I thought it was a little odd to have the pre credits teaser being Rick's encounter with the Zombie kid when looking for gas, I'd read Quint's really great set reports about the shooting of that scene and having it be the first thing on the show was distracting, but in fact it's a smart move because after the opening credits we get a really nice extended scene of Rick and his partner talking about wives and girlfriends and it's a solid piece of human drama, I'm sure AMC or Darabont thought it was prudent to start the show off with a bang and then slow it down for a few minutes.

That first scene not only largely sets up the world of the story, but then when you see it in context with the post-credits scene, it makes you have think about what he must've gone through to got from a good po-lice to being able to shoot a kid in the face.

I could've sworn this was premiering this Sunday. Now I read it's starting properly on Halloween. Damnit. How dare they leak the first episode so early.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:28 am

No, it's Sunday at 10:00. Be ye not deceived. Halloween at 10.
Don't be late.
How many Zoners are going to be viddying this on Sunday? It would be nice to chat this thing up as it happens.
The Vicar

Postby Fievel on Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:36 pm

Depending on how things are domestically (getting kids to bed, etc.) I may be watching this as it airs. If that's the case I'll check in to see if anyone's typing as it goes. Otherwise I'll be watching it an hour or two later on the DVR.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby The Vicar on Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:28 pm

Just slip a little Nyquil into the wee ones milk.

Oh don't gimme that. It's not like I suggested you blow a cloud of chronic into their faces.......

Mine, yes.
The Vicar

Postby DennisMM on Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:18 pm

I'll be watching and recording "Sherlock" as they conflict in the last 30 minutes.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby The Vicar on Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:30 pm

DennisMM wrote:I'll be watching and recording "Sherlock" as they conflict in the last 30 minutes.

Oh man, I'm glad you reminded me. I definitely don't want to miss Sherlock.
Luckily PBS runs it over later.
AMC seems to be running Walking Dead three times in a row,
in case schedule conflict should arise.
The Vicar

Postby Fievel on Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:41 pm

The Vicar wrote:Just slip a little Nyquil into the wee ones milk.

Oh don't gimme that. It's not like I suggested you blow a cloud of chronic into their faces.......

Mine, yes.

My mom used to dip my pacifier in her scotch. Worked like a charm. Ironically, it's one of the few liquors I can't touch. Just the smell gives me shivers.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby travis-dane on Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:35 am

Just watched it, good stuff. But with so many talented people involved I expected it to be good, I hope that the other directors after Darabont will keep it up there.
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby Pacino86845 on Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:28 pm

I concur, an awesome start.

The emphasis on its characters really sets The Walking Dead apart from similar stories.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Peven on Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:33 pm

Fievel wrote:
The Vicar wrote:Just slip a little Nyquil into the wee ones milk.

Mine, yes.

My mom used to dip my pacifier in her scotch. Worked like a charm. Ironically, it's one of the few liquors I can't touch. Just the smell gives me shivers.

my grandmother used to talk about dipping her finger in some whiskey and rubbing it on my father's gums when he was teething as a baby. she claimed it was an old-fashioned home remedy.....

...and Vic, chronic wouldn't be as bad for a kid as Nyquil, that shit is one step away from smack :-P :wink:
Last edited by Peven on Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby The Vicar on Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:39 pm

But....but.....the FDA says Nyquil is cool......you mean the government lied? To me?

This is my shocked faced.
Ready?
:|
The Vicar

Postby Fievel on Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:01 pm

And so it begins.....
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TonyWilson on Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:36 pm

And no one is commentating as they are all to busy watching and going "holy shit, awesome" :mrgreen:
TonyWilson

Postby Peven on Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:24 pm

i don't even go for the zombie genre, usually, but that was a pretty good show. "dumbass" is right, though, that nimrod got that poor horse eaten....

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Bloo on Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:11 am

going to fess up and say I'm not at all familiar with the comic book series, I watched this for Frank Darabont and HOLY SHIT color me impressed

there was some great great great shit here
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:17 am

EDIT: FOR THOSE WHO HAVE DVR'D: THE FOLLOWING REVIEW IS COMPLETELY SPOILER FREE, SAVE FOR THE "EDIT" LAST PARAGRAPH.

I've been partying for 2 nights straight at various Halloween shindigs. Tonight was reserved for The Walking Dead and handing out a little candy. I was so exhausted by the time 10pm rolled around I seriously considered just letting the DVR go and watching it tomorrow.

I now have 15 minutes left of the 90 minute premiere (writing during a commercial) and I wish this had at least another hour worth of run time tonight. Very, very impressed so far. The....commercials over, back to edit in a sec.

ok. Very impressed so far. PLENTY faithful to the original subject matter, with just enough variation from the book to keep me guessing as to the fine points. Really well done over all. Acting is very solid. The writing is very, very solid. The make-up, effects and "feel" are spot on. I love the fact that we are going to get a full season (or more) to get to know these characters. Obviously episode 2 will introduce us to many, many more interesting folks. The attention to detail is great (one thing I noticed when he is walking through the hospital is as he is looking at the bullet holes in the walls you can hear his feet kicking the spent shells littering the floor). This concept is fantastical, in order to reward the necessary suspension of belief you MUST give the audience characters and surroundings that they can believe/identify with, which this does in spades in ep 1.

Fantastic so far. Exactly what I was hoping for. Well done Darabont and Kirkman and AMC for allowing them to tell the story without pulling the punches gore-wise or, apparently, budget-wise.

can't wait for ep 2.

EDIT: There is a shot of him in the tank, about a minute or two from the end of the show, where he is obviously desperately trying to figure out what to do, and he is silhoutted with his hand cradling his head with his gun in his hand, with the dead zombie soldier just out of focus in the background. That needs to be my new Zone sig. 80000000000 ruble bounty to the Zone on getting a picture of that shot for me to use.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby The Vicar on Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:17 am

An excellent start.
The Vicar

Postby tapehead on Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:26 am

Used it in a blog review.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby so sorry on Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:27 am

Not bad.

I'm not a zombie fan, so the subject matter isn't really my cup of tea, but seemed like a cool enough project to support with my viewership.
Well acted (so far), nice visual effects, good sound. I'll keep watching for sure.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:26 pm

tapehead wrote:Image

Used it in a blog review.

That is it, exactly. The rubles are in the mail. Thanks very much, Tape!
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

PreviousNext

Return to Coaxial