The Walking Dead

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Re: The Walking Dead (Spoilers)

Postby Fievel on Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:55 am

Good second episode. So far I'm really liking the casting in the show.
So far Glenn looks perfect. Jeffery DeMunn as Dale looks to be perfect as well. I really like how we're just getting little glimpses of the people in the campground. At first glance there seems to be more people there than was in the comic - and I like that. It would be a great way to create characters just to let them be killed. Sort of like the Star Trek redshirts, only with a bit of character development.

The Lori/Shane dynamic in the first episode gave me the feeling that Shane was forcing things to happen. The second episode squashed that thought. I'm wondering, especially after the Shane/Rick dialogue that opened the pilot episode (which had a really odd vibe to it), if something was going on before the zombies came.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
User avatar
Fievel
Mouse Of The House
 
Posts: 12145
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:07 pm
Location: White Lake, MI

Re: The Walking Dead (Spoilers)

Postby Bloo on Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:16 am

I really dug the 2nd episode, nice set up, and good payoff. My new roomate was moving stuff in as they were covering themselves up to go into the streets so that made an interesting conversation of "what are you watching?"
Image
User avatar
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN
 
Posts: 9668
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:26 pm
Location: Kansas, home of the Bacon Explosion

Re: The Walking Dead (Spoilers)

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:51 pm

Fievel wrote:Good second episode. So far I'm really liking the casting in the show.
So far Glenn looks perfect. Jeffery DeMunn as Dale looks to be perfect as well. I really like how we're just getting little glimpses of the people in the campground. At first glance there seems to be more people there than was in the comic - and I like that. It would be a great way to create characters just to let them be killed. Sort of like the Star Trek redshirts, only with a bit of character development.

The Lori/Shane dynamic in the first episode gave me the feeling that Shane was forcing things to happen. The second episode squashed that thought. I'm wondering, especially after the Shane/Rick dialogue that opened the pilot episode (which had a really odd vibe to it), if something was going on before the zombies came.


there had to have been some prior fucking going. it wouldn't be believable otherwise, if like a month (or however long its been) since her husband was shot and presumably left for dead, she started sleeping with someone else; she'd still be mourning him. in fact, i think they were probably fucking before the fit hit the shan, and so now they're still fucking, but now she's starting to feel guilty about it cos she thinks her husband is dead, which she didn't feel as guilty about when he was still alive. i think when she took off the wedding ring on a chain and looked at it as she set it down on the ground, kinda showed a moment of guilt before they did the deed.

last night's episode was like a really tight, action-packed prison escape film. the pacing and action were all spot on. and that whole sequence, i was thinking to myself, there's NO FUCKING WAY i would've gone out there covered in zombie guts in the middle of a roaming pack of zombies. no. fucking. way.

michael rooker is always 100% win.
the way this show was throwing around middle fingers and N-words, i thought i was watching HBO.
Image
User avatar
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger
 
Posts: 19192
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:00 pm

Re: The Walking Dead (Spoilers)

Postby darkjedijaina on Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:10 pm

I kinda didn't like that they set up the relationship between her and shane like that.
in the gn, wasn't it just the one time? out of mourning and grief?
this makes it like she's a big whore.
not that there's anything wrong with whores, but it just changes the entire dynamic of her character for me.

aside from that small thing, i dug the episode. a lot.

i just wish there was more. i'm like...an hour's up already?! lol
User avatar
darkjedijaina
BAD ASH
 
Posts: 7197
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:41 am
Location: Houston, TX

Re: The Walking Dead (Spoilers)

Postby Fievel on Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:34 pm

darkjedijaina wrote:I kinda didn't like that they set up the relationship between her and shane like that.
in the gn, wasn't it just the one time? out of mourning and grief?
this makes it like she's a big whore.
not that there's anything wrong with whores, but it just changes the entire dynamic of her character for me.

aside from that small thing, i dug the episode. a lot.

i just wish there was more. i'm like...an hour's up already?! lol


Yeah, the hour really felt like a half hour.
Regarding Lori & Shane.... by doing it like this, if she has the same fate that's in the comics, then it won't be too bad a loss for the viewers. And it will make what Carl does even more effective. Still sucks for Rick, though. (I did the spoilers like this so that people who have read the comics would know it was in the comics. Well, I suppose I could have just started it by saying "Comic Spoilers." But I didn't. So there.)
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
User avatar
Fievel
Mouse Of The House
 
Posts: 12145
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:07 pm
Location: White Lake, MI

Re: The Walking Dead (Spoilers)

Postby TheButcher on Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:50 pm

User avatar
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR
 
Posts: 17418
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:02 am
Location: The Bureau of Sabotage

Re: The Walking Dead (Spoilers)

Postby DennisMM on Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:34 pm

"Guts" didn't please me nearly as much as the pilot. In spite of some strong points, there were several weak performance. I thought Glenn was well done, but Merle and T-Dog were embarrassing in their broadness, in my opinion. They seem to want to a more diverse, less happy group than we saw in the early issues of the comic, for me it's a stretch. T-Dog losing the handcuff key down the tiny pipe was terribly artificial; much better would have been for it to fly over the side.

Those sounds as they chopped up the walker were far over the top but very disturbing even so.

The very enthusiastic rear-entry sex between Shane and Lori surprised me. As I said last week, I'm surprised at what they can get away with on AMC. Shows how much TV I've watched the last five or so years.

djj, in the comic Shane and Lori had a one-nighter, strictly from grief and for comfort.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING
 
Posts: 16808
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:02 pm
Location: Watchin' the reels go 'round and 'round

Re: The Walking Dead (Spoilers)

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:40 pm

DennisMM wrote:djj, in the comic Shane and Lori had a one-nighter, strictly from grief and for comfort.


For some reason I thought she said it only happened once, but that was never really confirmed or denied in the comic.

Also, the scene last night could have been the only time they let it happen. Though they definitely seemed to imply that other things had happened between, whether sex or not.

Lastly the new characters dont have much depth yet but I assume that will change as things progress. The guy playing Glenn is pretty damn perfect so far.
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Re: The Walking Dead (Spoilers)

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:01 am

when that guy lost the key down the pipe, i was fully expecting him to hand the saw to the white power dude before he took off and ran. i mean, they even show him kicking over the box of tools before he loses the key, plus it was set up earlier when the white power dude was asking him to give him the bandsaw so he could saw through the cuffs. so i was surprised that didn't pay off, though maybe it will next episode... maybe the white power dude will be able to get a hold of that saw with his foot or by making a lasso out of his shirt or something. of course, we've all seen Saw, so we know it will come down to him not being able to saw through the cuffs, and then some zombies will make it to the roof and he'll have to saw off his hand to escape getting eaten.
Image
User avatar
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger
 
Posts: 19192
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:00 pm

Re: The Walking Dead (Spoilers)

Postby so sorry on Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:17 pm

TheBaxter wrote:when that guy lost the key down the pipe, i was fully expecting him to hand the saw to the white power dude before he took off and ran. i mean, they even show him kicking over the box of tools before he loses the key, plus it was set up earlier when the white power dude was asking him to give him the bandsaw so he could saw through the cuffs. so i was surprised that didn't pay off, though maybe it will next episode... maybe the white power dude will be able to get a hold of that saw with his foot or by making a lasso out of his shirt or something. of course, we've all seen Saw, so we know it will come down to him not being able to saw through the cuffs, and then some zombies will make it to the roof and he'll have to saw off his hand to escape getting eaten.



Yeah the set up was hammy if you ask me. And from what I've read from other people's comments here, the white racist dude is going to escape and rejoin the group somehow. I would think his first order of business would be to kill the black guy that left him for dead. I'm sure all the comic book readers here already know the outcome...

As for Grimes' wife banging his friend: I found it hard to buy. We are, what, 3-4 weeks into the zombie apocolypse at this point in the story? Is that really enough time to stop thinking about your husband and worrying about getting eaten BY THE UNDEAD? Its already time to start getting a piece of ass? I know that in the real world people may use the act of sex as a way of coping with a stressful situation, but damn this seemed a bit rushed to me. Of course I don't know if they had something going on the side pre-zombies. And like Dennis mentioned earlier, the sex act of him flipping her over and taking her from behind was really bizarre to me. What the fuck was the point of showing that?
User avatar
so sorry
Deacon Blues
 
Posts: 15696
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:29 am

Re: The Walking Dead (Spoilers)

Postby Fievel on Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:39 pm

so sorry wrote:I'm sure all the comic book readers here already know the outcome...

I'm pretty sure that racist white guy was not in the comics (read the first book a couple years ago.. memory could be failing). Darabont & Kirkman have said that they'll be adding new characters to the TV show. This makes it "new" for those of us that have read the comics.

so sorry wrote:And like Dennis mentioned earlier, the sex act of him flipping her over and taking her from behind was really bizarre to me. What the fuck was the point of showing that?

My first reaction was that it was to show just how dominant he was in her life. But she was so "into it" that it just came across as being pointless.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
User avatar
Fievel
Mouse Of The House
 
Posts: 12145
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:07 pm
Location: White Lake, MI

Re: The Walking Dead (Spoilers)

Postby BuckyO'harre on Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:50 pm

so sorry wrote: And like Dennis mentioned earlier, the sex act of him flipping her over and taking her from behind was really bizarre to me. What the fuck was the point of showing that?



That they ain't nothing but mammals...? :?
Thank you, Zoners, for the kindness, tolerance, and enlightenment you've shared with me. It may not have been deserved, but it was greatly appreciated nonetheless. Soupy twist.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 3724
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:14 am

Re: The Walking Dead (Spoilers)

Postby darkjedijaina on Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:51 pm

yeah... that's what got to me. she seemed into it. she wanted it. and then the whole rear-entry... i dunno. seemed in bad taste. made me dislike her more than i disliked shane.
User avatar
darkjedijaina
BAD ASH
 
Posts: 7197
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:41 am
Location: Houston, TX

Re: The Walking Dead (Spoilers)

Postby travis-dane on Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:38 pm

He fucked her from behind, so what? He did not fuck her in the ass.
It's pretty obvious to me that they both had something going before Rick got shot.
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
Image
User avatar
travis-dane
100% OLEG!
 
Posts: 5418
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:19 am
Location: DTVille

Re: The Walking Dead (Spoilers)

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:57 pm

yeah. PRUDES!
now, if it was zombie ass fucking, then you'd have something to complain about.
Image
User avatar
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger
 
Posts: 19192
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:00 pm

Re: The Walking Dead (Spoilers)

Postby Bayouwolf on Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:04 pm

Finally got caught up on this on Sunday after a "come to jesus" meeting with Hulu and my computers settings...Loving the production value and LOVING the actors in this. Everything I loved about the comic is being fulfilled on the small screen in spades...I can't wait till the survivors make it to the prison and see how that is translated. Should make for some emmy award winning writing and acting...

Now, on the whole "why'd he flip her over" nonsense...I can see the whole "he was being dominant over her" angle, but I just don't see her taking that kind of crap after the hell she raises about going after the stranded survivors and he is firm in his answer to her. It also could have been that while she WANTS to have that sexual stress relief (lets be fair, what else is there to be had), she can't bear to look him in the eye as he is taking her because she is still in love with her husband and feels guilty for doing it...

Now, onto the REALISTIC reason...(TBH, I'm surprised that djj hasn't cracked (get it, cracked) this yet...)
Obviously they didn't get completely or even remotely naked in case something or someone came walking up on them...And as some of us know, you can't well bang a chick from the front while shes wearing tight jeans around her knees. So you flip her over, prop her up slightly, and take her from behind. ezpz. :D
Image
User avatar
Bayouwolf
Country Bouy
 
Posts: 3247
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:55 pm
Location: In the GTA, bitches....

Re: The Walking Dead (Spoilers)

Postby The Garbage Man on Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:08 pm

Fievel wrote:
so sorry wrote:I'm sure all the comic book readers here already know the outcome...

I'm pretty sure that racist white guy was not in the comics (read the first book a couple years ago.. memory could be failing). Darabont & Kirkman have said that they'll be adding new characters to the TV show. This makes it "new" for those of us that have read the comics.


Neither Merle nor T-Dog were in the comics (nor, for that matter, were the majority of the survivors Rick has encountered in Atlanta).

That's what I enjoy the most about the series so far - the digressions, changes, and expansions are adding to the story and keeping even long-term fans of the comic guessing.
User avatar
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2558
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:27 pm
Location: The Big Blue Velour Marble

Re: The Walking Dead (Spoilers)

Postby Fievel on Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:40 pm

travis-dane wrote:He fucked her from behind, so what? He did not fuck her in the ass.


YOU HAVE NO PROOF!!!!
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
User avatar
Fievel
Mouse Of The House
 
Posts: 12145
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:07 pm
Location: White Lake, MI

Re: The Walking Dead (Spoilers)

Postby tapehead on Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:45 pm

'...one more thing, he was an organ donor' - what a great line.
User avatar
tapehead
BALLS!!!
 
Posts: 9427
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:13 pm
Location: OZ

Re: The Walking Dead (Spoilers)

Postby Fievel on Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:46 pm

tapehead wrote:'...one more thing, he was an organ donor' - what a great line.


No shit. I laughed out loud at that and quickly stopped not knowing if it was appropriate or not. I'm not expecting it to morph into Shaun of the Dead or anything, I just hope the humor is smart and appropriate to the situation like it was here.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
User avatar
Fievel
Mouse Of The House
 
Posts: 12145
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:07 pm
Location: White Lake, MI

Re: The Walking Dead (Spoilers)

Postby DennisMM on Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:24 pm

Honestly, I didn't find that very funny. I think I smiled, but it struck me as somehow touching and respectful on Glenn's part.

As Michael Rooker was billed as a guest star, I wouldn't expect him to be around long.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING
 
Posts: 16808
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:02 pm
Location: Watchin' the reels go 'round and 'round

Re: The Walking Dead (Spoilers)

Postby Fievel on Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:37 am

DennisMM wrote:Honestly, I didn't find that very funny. I think I smiled, but it struck me as somehow touching and respectful on Glenn's part.

As Michael Rooker was billed as a guest star, I wouldn't expect him to be around long.


I think it became more funny when intestines were being draped around the neck.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
User avatar
Fievel
Mouse Of The House
 
Posts: 12145
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:07 pm
Location: White Lake, MI

Re: The Walking Dead (Spoilers)

Postby Nachokoolaid on Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:22 am

I like how each episode has a zombie or two that are the "face" zombies for that episode and they really rise above the rest. For episode one, it was the black wife and the legless white chick in the park, and for me, the guy with the sport coat that looked really pissed about being a zombie. In this episode, it was the guy that was sniffing them more than the others right before the rain started. He was so close, and all it would take was a quick bite, and he would have them. Anyway, I like how it gives the zombies a bit of personality and makes them a bit more than some monster or something, even though they're quite monstrous.

Great episode. The tension was there. The humor was too. I love this show.

I hope the main guy shoots his own fucking wife or something though. Whore.
User avatar
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT
 
Posts: 5588
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:00 am
Location: Gotham City

Re: The Walking Dead (Spoilers)

Postby tapehead on Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:25 am

Fievel wrote:
DennisMM wrote:Honestly, I didn't find that very funny. I think I smiled, but it struck me as somehow touching and respectful on Glenn's part.

As Michael Rooker was billed as a guest star, I wouldn't expect him to be around long.


I think it became more funny when intestines were being draped around the neck.


Yeah it was definitely a big icebreaker for the people all standing around freaking out about hacking to pieces a human body - the suitable odd moment of gallows humour that is really warming me to this show. The musical score is really top notch too - I noticed it was Bear McCreary, who many would remember from BSG's excellent sounds.
User avatar
tapehead
BALLS!!!
 
Posts: 9427
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:13 pm
Location: OZ

Re: The Walking Dead (Spoilers)

Postby papalazeru on Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:02 pm

Nachokoolaid wrote:I like how each episode has a zombie or two that are the "face" zombies for that episode and they really rise above the rest. For episode one, it was the black wife and the legless white chick in the park, and for me, the guy with the sport coat that looked really pissed about being a zombie. In this episode, it was the guy that was sniffing them more than the others right before the rain started. He was so close, and all it would take was a quick bite, and he would have them. Anyway, I like how it gives the zombies a bit of personality and makes them a bit more than some monster or something, even though they're quite monstrous.


Zombie acting school. All learnt from Dawn of the Dead's Krishna Zombie with guest actor, Bud.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
User avatar
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!
 
Posts: 11475
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:26 am

Re: The Walking Dead (Spoilers)

Postby Bayouwolf on Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:12 am

papalazeru wrote:
Zombie acting school.


I hear the competition for scholarships to there is pretty stiff.
Image
User avatar
Bayouwolf
Country Bouy
 
Posts: 3247
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:55 pm
Location: In the GTA, bitches....

Re: The Walking Dead (Spoilers)

Postby Maui on Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:32 pm

$28 in his wallet and an organ donor. What a great scene - it reeked zombie goo. Also, I do believe every zombie show needs a red sports car racing through it's city.

The pilot episode had me feeling that Shane and Lori had something going on the side prior to Rick's disappearance. This week's episode solidified that theory.
User avatar
Maui
WoWie
 
Posts: 7608
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 10:19 pm

Re: The Walking Dead (Spoilers)

Postby DennisMM on Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:39 pm

I think it's a red herring. Don't ask me why; it just seems like something Kirkman wouldn't want to change.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING
 
Posts: 16808
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:02 pm
Location: Watchin' the reels go 'round and 'round

Re: The Walking Dead (Spoilers)

Postby Hermanator X on Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:41 am

I dont think they had anything going on prior to the gunshot, but I do think Rick and his wife had major problems, which is a diversion from the book. I saw the first ep before reading the books, so was surprised to see that in the books she is just someone he needs to find, and the past life is not mentioned at all to suggest they had any issues. In fact she seems the fairly plain damsel in distress character. However, with the car conversation, it sounded like a damaged relationship, probably kept together by the son, which gives her a bit more character, for better or worse.
So rather than someone succumbing ONCE to a moment of weakness in the book, she is an all round nastier piece of work. Probably does make things a little more interesting for the narrative.
...and so forth.
User avatar
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2624
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:55 pm
Location: Kongsberg, Norway, This Town needs an enema

Re: The Walking Dead (Spoilers)

Postby DerLanghaarige on Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:31 pm

I think episode 2 would have made a slightly better pilot (or for that matter: if this would have been the 2nd half of the pilot it had worked better IMO). But just like the pilot it didn't add anything new to the genre (maybe the Zombie Camouflage, but that was just an R-rated, dramatic version of the act-like-zombies moment from SHAUN OF THE DEAD), although that old story was so well told it didn't matter.
Okay, I could have done without Rooker's character. But just because his character was such an overused stereotype, that you can't use for anything else than create cheap tension and to be honest, this episode didn't need "the stubborn racist asshole who is too dumb to realize the situation he is stuck in" and as much as I usually enjoy to see Michael Rooker, I hope he won't come back.
But all in all THE WALKING DEAD managed to keep its level of quality from the pilot.
Image
User avatar
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt
 
Posts: 2558
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:00 pm
Location: Germany

Re: The Walking Dead (Spoilers)

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:46 am

DerLanghaarige wrote:I think episode 2 would have made a slightly better pilot (or for that matter: if this would have been the 2nd half of the pilot it had worked better IMO). But just like the pilot it didn't add anything new to the genre (maybe the Zombie Camouflage, but that was just an R-rated, dramatic version of the act-like-zombies moment from SHAUN OF THE DEAD), although that old story was so well told it didn't matter.
Okay, I could have done without Rooker's character. But just because his character was such an overused stereotype, that you can't use for anything else than create cheap tension and to be honest, this episode didn't need "the stubborn racist asshole who is too dumb to realize the situation he is stuck in" and as much as I usually enjoy to see Michael Rooker, I hope he won't come back.
But all in all THE WALKING DEAD managed to keep its level of quality from the pilot.


Well after watching the preview for next week, you're going to be disappointed. Not only is he back, but they go back to the city to get hissorry ass apparently.
User avatar
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT
 
Posts: 5588
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:00 am
Location: Gotham City

Re: The Walking Dead (Spoilers)

Postby The Vicar on Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:47 am

Weird, unnecessary side trip. Can not fathom the need for it.
Do not want.
.
........................................
Image
User avatar
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone
 
Posts: 16179
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:21 am

Re: The Walking Dead (Spoilers)

Postby Fievel on Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:20 am

Nachokoolaid wrote:
DerLanghaarige wrote:I think episode 2 would have made a slightly better pilot (or for that matter: if this would have been the 2nd half of the pilot it had worked better IMO). But just like the pilot it didn't add anything new to the genre (maybe the Zombie Camouflage, but that was just an R-rated, dramatic version of the act-like-zombies moment from SHAUN OF THE DEAD), although that old story was so well told it didn't matter.
Okay, I could have done without Rooker's character. But just because his character was such an overused stereotype, that you can't use for anything else than create cheap tension and to be honest, this episode didn't need "the stubborn racist asshole who is too dumb to realize the situation he is stuck in" and as much as I usually enjoy to see Michael Rooker, I hope he won't come back.
But all in all THE WALKING DEAD managed to keep its level of quality from the pilot.


Well after watching the preview for next week, you're going to be disappointed. Not only is he back, but they go back to the city to get hissorry ass apparently.


And his has a brother played by Norman Reedus.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
User avatar
Fievel
Mouse Of The House
 
Posts: 12145
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:07 pm
Location: White Lake, MI

Re: The Walking Dead (Spoilers)

Postby Fievel on Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:27 am

Interesting episode. I didn't get the ending, though. If he had a hacksaw, why didn't he cut through the chain? Was he that stupid to try? Too scared? Too fucked up from exposure/dehydration?

In a related note and some SERIOUS SPOILERS FROM THE COMIC..... Seeing how they've been playing with the storylines, I wonder if Rick is still going to have his serious injury that will permanently affect him (worded it that way just in case someone highlights it on accident). Ever since they announced this as a TV show I have thought that particular event wouldn't go over well on TV.

I don't remember Shane having told Lori that Rick was dead in the comic. It was kind of funny for me when he did that. I had just thought to myself how much I loathed Lori so far in the TV show. I absolutely hated Shane in the comic and the show, but until Lori said that he told her Rick was dead I had zero sympathy for her situation. Now we'll have to wait and see when exactly did they start bumping uglies.

Shane beating the wife-beater (a non-comic character? Can't remember) was extreme and became difficult to watch - obviously the intent.

It's interesting to see how they're expanding the characters and handing out scenes from the comics to the new characters.

Dale is perfectly cast and I can't wait to see more of him. Same with Glen. I may end up posting those two thoughts every week, but the decision to cast those two people deserves it.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
User avatar
Fievel
Mouse Of The House
 
Posts: 12145
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:07 pm
Location: White Lake, MI

Re: The Walking Dead (Spoilers)

Postby Bloo on Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:01 am

regarding the spoiler, I was talking with a friend today who said he read an article (Wizard maybe?) where they said that particular injury won't be addressed due to the SFX involved
Image
User avatar
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN
 
Posts: 9668
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:26 pm
Location: Kansas, home of the Bacon Explosion

Re: The Walking Dead (Spoilers)

Postby Fievel on Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:42 am

That was the main reason I could see them skipping it. They'd have to do so much nitpicking not only in the fx but just in general consistencies as the show went on.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
User avatar
Fievel
Mouse Of The House
 
Posts: 12145
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:07 pm
Location: White Lake, MI

Re: The Walking Dead (Spoilers)

Postby Maui on Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:15 pm

Carl needs his own tent.


Gribbit...gribbit.
User avatar
Maui
WoWie
 
Posts: 7608
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 10:19 pm

Re: The Walking Dead (Spoilers)

Postby swoop91 on Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:35 pm

What is the nature of that thing you keep black? you can PM if nothing else.. tnx
User avatar
swoop91
STEAK-A-BABY
 
Posts: 191
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:41 am
Location: Frakkin' Island

Re: The Walking Dead (Spoilers)

Postby DennisMM on Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:26 pm

I would not expect it to show up until at least the second season, just for dramatic purposes. The technical aspect would also be a problem, as noted.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING
 
Posts: 16808
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:02 pm
Location: Watchin' the reels go 'round and 'round

Re: The Walking Dead (Spoilers)

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:19 pm

Fievel wrote:Interesting episode. I didn't get the ending, though. If he had a hacksaw, why didn't he cut through the chain? Was he that stupid to try? Too scared? Too fucked up from exposure/dehydration?


EXACTLY! Id think itd be just as hard to cut a hand off as to cut the chain.

Also, as per Lori it seemed crazy she basically suggested he go and then got pissed when he acted on it. Her character was never really written that well in the comic. Kirkman could never really figure out a way to make her seem more than a complete nag.
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Re: The Walking Dead (Spoilers)

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:26 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
Also, as per Lori it seemed crazy she basically suggested he go and then got pissed when he acted on it.


bitches be crazy.
Image
User avatar
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked
 
Posts: 17641
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:18 pm
Location: Pasture next to the Red Barn

Re: The Walking Dead (Spoilers)

Postby The Vicar on Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:38 am

I am somewhat dismayed that the show is wasting/has wasted/will continue to waste time on characters that were not in the story,
thus delaying the actual progress of the story as readers of the GN have known it.
These extra characters, so far, have really added nothing to the mix other than some rather badly cliched "good ol boy redneck" peckerwoods. There is so much really intense, good stuff waiting down the road
that these unnecessary detours are beginning to get on my tit.
As Monty Python once said;

"GET ON WITH IT!!!!"

Love ya, Mr. Darabont.
Just saying.
.
........................................
Image
User avatar
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone
 
Posts: 16179
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:21 am

Re: The Walking Dead (Spoilers)

Postby theangiechrist on Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:04 am

BuckyO'harre wrote:
so sorry wrote: And like Dennis mentioned earlier, the sex act of him flipping her over and taking her from behind was really bizarre to me. What the fuck was the point of showing that?



That they ain't nothing but mammals...? :?



I don't think it was as much dominance over her than him usurping his command over civilians since Rick was "gone." He's going nuts with power, then Rick comes back and he's back to being Mr #2. He hates that, he has to.
theangiechrist
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE
 
Posts: 393
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:09 am
Location: Lost Vegas

Re: The Walking Dead (Spoilers)

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:19 am

The Vicar wrote:I am somewhat dismayed that the show is wasting/has wasted/will continue to waste time on characters that were not in the story,
thus delaying the actual progress of the story as readers of the GN have known it.
These extra characters, so far, have really added nothing to the mix other than some rather badly cliched "good ol boy redneck" peckerwoods. There is so much really intense, good stuff waiting down the road
that these unnecessary detours are beginning to get on my tit.
As Monty Python once said;

"GET ON WITH IT!!!!"

Love ya, Mr. Darabont.
Just saying.


I agree. The walking dead is up to #78 issues and the damned T.V. show looks like its chugging away an issue at a time. we're halfway through the first season and we haven't even left Atlanta. It's going to take 5 years before anyone meets the Governor.
Image
User avatar
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood
 
Posts: 3682
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:28 am

Re: The Walking Dead (Spoilers)

Postby BuckyO'harre on Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:10 am

theangiechrist wrote:
BuckyO'harre wrote:
so sorry wrote: And like Dennis mentioned earlier, the sex act of him flipping her over and taking her from behind was really bizarre to me. What the fuck was the point of showing that?



That they ain't nothing but mammals...? :?



I don't think it was as much dominance over her than him usurping his command over civilians since Rick was "gone." He's going nuts with power, then Rick comes back and he's back to being Mr #2. He hates that, he has to.



Ahem.




:mrgreen:


Now as to what I actually thought while watching,serious like and all,was that it was either (A)- a combination of Shane posturing and Lori letting go ,or (B)- another bit of AMC's "Yeah.We went there."

That being said,Bayou makes a good case for practicality in times of hurried outdoor hanky-panky...
Thank you, Zoners, for the kindness, tolerance, and enlightenment you've shared with me. It may not have been deserved, but it was greatly appreciated nonetheless. Soupy twist.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 3724
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:14 am

Re: The Walking Dead (Spoilers)

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:22 am

TheBaxter wrote:when that guy lost the key down the pipe, i was fully expecting him to hand the saw to the white power dude before he took off and ran. i mean, they even show him kicking over the box of tools before he loses the key, plus it was set up earlier when the white power dude was asking him to give him the bandsaw so he could saw through the cuffs. so i was surprised that didn't pay off, though maybe it will next episode... maybe the white power dude will be able to get a hold of that saw with his foot or by making a lasso out of his shirt or something. of course, we've all seen Saw, so we know it will come down to him not being able to saw through the cuffs, and then some zombies will make it to the roof and he'll have to saw off his hand to escape getting eaten.


told ya.

Fievel wrote:Interesting episode. I didn't get the ending, though. If he had a hacksaw, why didn't he cut through the chain? Was he that stupid to try? Too scared? Too fucked up from exposure/dehydration?


do you really think it's that easy to saw through a pair of handcuffs? not that i've tried, but i'd imagine it would be pretty damn hard to saw through steel, and i'd also think handccuffs would be made out of a particularly hard metal to saw or otherwise cut through, because, y'know, they're handcuffs, and they're designed to not be easily gotten out of.

he may have had more success sawing through that pipe he was handcuffed to though.

i figure he was spooked by those zombies trying to get at them (even though the black guy said he padlocked the chain and there was no way for them to bust through, he might not have known that or was too dumb to realize it) and chose the quickest thing to cut through to get free.

Fievel wrote:I don't remember Shane having told Lori that Rick was dead in the comic. It was kind of funny for me when he did that. I had just thought to myself how much I loathed Lori so far in the TV show. I absolutely hated Shane in the comic and the show, but until Lori said that he told her Rick was dead I had zero sympathy for her situation. Now we'll have to wait and see when exactly did they start bumping uglies.


if they didn't have something going prior to the zombie uprising, i'll be seriously irritated. it can't have been more than a month or so since the zombies began, based on how long he could have possibly survived in a coma, unattended, in a hospital, before waking up, and the show's events between then and now. i just don't buy that this chick would start fucking some new guy less than a month after the death of her husband, no matter what problems they might have been having in the marriage, unless they were already going at it before all that.
Image
User avatar
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger
 
Posts: 19192
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:00 pm

Re: The Walking Dead (Spoilers)

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:58 am

TheBaxter wrote:do you really think it's that easy to saw through a pair of handcuffs? not that i've tried, but i'd imagine it would be pretty damn hard to saw through steel, and i'd also think handccuffs would be made out of a particularly hard metal to saw or otherwise cut through, because, y'know, they're handcuffs, and they're designed to not be easily gotten out of.

he may have had more success sawing through that pipe he was handcuffed to though.

i figure he was spooked by those zombies trying to get at them (even though the black guy said he padlocked the chain and there was no way for them to bust through, he might not have known that or was too dumb to realize it) and chose the quickest thing to cut through to get free.


The pipe was definitely the way to go with the hollow middle. Once you get through the beginning it wouldnt be that difficult.

Sawing off your own hand without passing out and bleeding out would be very difficult imho. Also, its a real stupid move because unless he can cauterized and disinfect within a short amount of time hes going to die anyway.
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Re: The Walking Dead (Spoilers)

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:18 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:do you really think it's that easy to saw through a pair of handcuffs? not that i've tried, but i'd imagine it would be pretty damn hard to saw through steel, and i'd also think handccuffs would be made out of a particularly hard metal to saw or otherwise cut through, because, y'know, they're handcuffs, and they're designed to not be easily gotten out of.

he may have had more success sawing through that pipe he was handcuffed to though.

i figure he was spooked by those zombies trying to get at them (even though the black guy said he padlocked the chain and there was no way for them to bust through, he might not have known that or was too dumb to realize it) and chose the quickest thing to cut through to get free.


The pipe was definitely the way to go with the hollow middle. Once you get through the beginning it wouldnt be that difficult.

Sawing off your own hand without passing out and bleeding out would be very difficult imho. Also, its a real stupid move because unless he can cauterized and disinfect within a short amount of time hes going to die anyway.


perhaps, but i don't think it would be be particularly out-of-character for this particular character to make a real stupid move.
and, according to the reviews i've read of this 127 Hours movie, it is apparently possible for a man to cut his own arm off with a dull pocket knife in the middle of a canyon and make it out alive. that movie is based on a true story, so i'm going to assume that it is possible for someone to cut off their own hand and survive as well. and if you've got a bunch of zombies bearing down on you, looking to eat your brains, then you'd probably be pretty motivated to saw through that wrist pretty quickly, since it would be easier to saw through flesh than a metal pipe, even a rusty one. yes, there is a padlocked door between you and the zombies, but if you're a dumbass redneck racist hick, you might not be blamed for thinking that door won't hold a pack of zombies at bay for very long.

so basically, what i'm saying is, it doesn't seem that unlikely that a stupid-ass character would choose and be able to go through with this particular act over some of the alternatives that we, being smarter and also not being in abject terror of becoming an imminent zombie supper, might consider as preferable courses of action, and objecting to this event in the script seems rather nitpicky to me.
Image
User avatar
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger
 
Posts: 19192
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:00 pm

Re: The Walking Dead (Spoilers)

Postby Fievel on Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:28 pm

His belt wasn't on the roof when Rick & Co. went there.
Maybe he made a tourniquet? Because he's smart like that?
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
User avatar
Fievel
Mouse Of The House
 
Posts: 12145
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:07 pm
Location: White Lake, MI

Re: The Walking Dead (Spoilers)

Postby Maui on Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:42 pm

Well, I say let's get rid of the over-the-top stereotypes: bigot on the roof and wife beater. The setup for the wife beater is just too darn obvious.
User avatar
Maui
WoWie
 
Posts: 7608
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 10:19 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Coaxial

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests