The Walking Dead

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Re: The Walking Dead (Spoilers)

Postby Fievel on Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:37 pm

TheBaxter wrote:you can see the truck behind the van. that truck has a separate cab. that's the truck i remember, which i'm pretty sure is the truck they had the first time they were in atlanta (i remember him having to back up the truck with the door open so they could all jump into the back to escape from the city). there's also a van in that picture though, and i don't remember for sure whether they took the same truck as before, or the van, or some other truck. but i thought it was the same truck.

Yeah, that's the truck I'm thinking of. The only thing I'm going off of is a questionable memory of all four characters holding conversation in the truck. The bottom line is that we don't know where Merle is. In five more days I'm sure these questions will be answered. Regardless, it's pretty awesome that this show is generating so much discussion here in the Zone that we haven't seen in a while (since Lost or BSG?).
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby travis-dane on Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:53 pm

Fievel wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:you can see the truck behind the van. that truck has a separate cab. that's the truck i remember, which i'm pretty sure is the truck they had the first time they were in atlanta (i remember him having to back up the truck with the door open so they could all jump into the back to escape from the city). there's also a van in that picture though, and i don't remember for sure whether they took the same truck as before, or the van, or some other truck. but i thought it was the same truck.

Yeah, that's the truck I'm thinking of. The only thing I'm going off of is a questionable memory of all four characters holding conversation in the truck. The bottom line is that we don't know where Merle is. In five more days I'm sure these questions will be answered. Regardless, it's pretty awesome that this show is generating so much discussion here in the Zone that we haven't seen in a while (since Lost or BSG?).

There was no wall seperating the back and the cabin in the truck.
and yeah, this show gets us talking, I am looking forward to the samurai chick and the prison stuff.
Darabont+Prison+Zombies= WIN.
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:04 pm

I don't think Cousin Merle physically rounded up zombies and loaded them into the back of the truck. More that, perhaps, his one handed driving wouldn't be too good and his journey would attract a lot of attention...so he might've inadvertedly rounded up a load of zombies and lead them back to camp. The rescue party were also able to run back to camp without event, so maybe their path was cleared by Merle.

Bayouwolf wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:I don't get what point you're trying to make.

Apologies FG, I didn't mean to quote you in my reply. It's just the only way to post from my phone because the REPLY button doesn't work for some stupid reason. I simply forgot to delete your post before touching submit.

Ditto. Ipod Touch posting kinda limits one to a single sentence.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nachokoolaid on Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:19 pm

Nice Marmot wrote:The "comic relief" of the grandma and the "bittersweet, heartwarming" story of the Latinos protecting the sick and elderly didn't work well for me. Guillermo's closing speach felt like about 15 minutes long. Darabont corniness at its worst. Not that Darabont isn't still the man . . .

How much you want to bet the missing toilet paper from the RV wasn't used to gift wrap the necklace?

Oooh. Dramatic irony at its finest. I hadn't even considered that. Nice one.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby DennisMM on Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:35 pm

Although it was established that Guillermo and Felipé were a janitor and a nurse, I don't think we were given any real background on the other "gang members." I assume some of them were relatives of the nursing home patients, some people who stumbled upon the home and decided to stay for their own safety, at the cost of helping the residents, and probably a few real gang members. The kid who was taken hostage seemed rather weak and scared, but he also had a giant neck tattoo of a marijuana leaf. That's not the kind of thing most people, even stupid young guys, do to themselves. But I'll stop discussing it now.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby DerLanghaarige on Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:46 pm

Wow, to me, it was the best episode so far. Loved the "whatever happened to Merl"-part, could have done without the latino gang story, if it hadn't such a rewarding payoff and was gasping in shock when the attack in the end happened. (Although I gotta admit that even BEFORE it happened, I thought it was stupid from them to just sit by the campfire without having anybody on lookout, so in fact, these morons had it coming.)
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby The Vicar on Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:12 pm

In the GN I believe that someone was almost always on top of Dale's RV, armed with a rifle and a beach lounging chair.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby DerLanghaarige on Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:17 pm

In the series, we usually saw that old guy having this job, but only by day.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby The Vicar on Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:27 pm

You don't post a guard at night,
you deserve to be eaten by zombies.
The Vicar

Postby DennisMM on Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:13 pm

We saw Shane on sentry duty in the rain, while Rick and Lori were making love. Not all that consistent.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby The Vicar on Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:05 am

WTF?? Seriously, WTF? What was all that shite with the CDC?
Getting a wee bit pissed here....they've gone from modifying the source
to completely rewriting it. Why? 80 episodes worth of story available
and they're rewriting the thing?
A shame because there were plenty of things to like in this ep.
Andrea & Amy, fer instance.
Makes me wish I hadn't read the source, because its likely I would be enjoying this more.

Where is Merle?
He doesn't belong in the story anyway, but where the hell is he?
The Vicar

Postby DennisMM on Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:00 am

Obviously, they are going way off the map of the comic. In spite of that, I liked this episode. We seem to have an "odds are good, evens are bad" thing, which means the finale could be a dog.

"Wildfire"? Paging Michael Crichton.
DennisMM

Postby Fievel on Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:03 am

Dan Ackroyd wrote:Jane, you ignorant slut!

I love the deviations from the comic series. 100% all for them. Why? As much as I love the comic series, it's nice to see something new within the show. Making a trip to the CDC seems perfectly reasonable given their proximity and, well... the fact that some sort of contagion knocked off a high majority of humans. And it's not like Kirkman is living in isolation growing his hair and beard to epic lengths as he sees his creation turned to shit in a new medium. Kirkman is involved with this (so far) all the way. And he's working with Frank Darabont! Darabont's weakest films are still better than most of the shit out there! It's not like how Mick Garris ass-rapes a Stephen King project when he touches it (and King somehow enjoys it). It's the complete opposite. Kirkman even wrote the previous episode with the "gang" in it.
SERIOUS COMIC BOOK SPOILERS AHEAD! HIGHLIGHT AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!
Seriously asking, do you want to sit at home in your favorite chair and watch this while thinking "Okay, they're leaving the Atlanta camp, so now we get to see them get out to the farm. Good. Meet the new people. Mmm-hmmm. Very nice. Okay, now let's get moving again, there's a prison to find! Or is there some merit and enjoyment to the prospect of watching what you already know and then BAM!...a left hook is delivered as a new place/character/scenario unfolds before you? None of the new elements appear to have had any long-lasting effect on the story aside from providing some character development, although the ramifications of Darryl and Merle's addition remains to be seen. I'd love to see Darryl stick around. I seriously enjoy the dynamic he brings to the group. As fucked up as he is, he also has a lot of room to grow - a lot more than any of the characters in the book up to this stage (if not beyond).

Earlier I said that I thought the season would end with Shane's death. Now with the CDC detour, I have no idea how this season could possibly end... and I like that feeling.

And yes, where the fuck IS Merle??? It's my hope that he is the lead zombie in a recreation of the Thriller Dance. Now THAT would be an ending!!! :D 8-) :?
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby DennisMM on Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:00 pm

I dunno, Fievel. Does Kirkman's involvement somehow bless the changes to what is a solid story in and of itself. It vaguely reminds me of Demi Moore's comment on The Scarlet Letter, that the changes weren't important because "not many people have read the book." I won't argue that changing a work from medium to medium is necessarily a bad thing. Goodness knows, Stanley Kubrick's The Shining is superior in some ways to Stephen King's. Blade Runner's alterations to Dick's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? made for a very different but most rewarding story. But I don't know about The Walking Dead. The early story arcs are very tightly plotted. It seems like much of the TV series has been digressive rather than expansive.
DennisMM

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:23 pm

DennisMM wrote:I dunno, Fievel. Does Kirkman's involvement somehow bless the changes to what is a solid story in and of itself. It vaguely reminds me of Demi Moore's comment on The Scarlet Letter, that the changes weren't important because "not many people have read the book." I won't argue that changing a work from medium to medium is necessarily a bad thing. Goodness knows, Stanley Kubrick's The Shining is superior in some ways to Stephen King's. Blade Runner's alterations to Dick's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? made for a very different but most rewarding story. But I don't know about The Walking Dead. The early story arcs are very tightly plotted. It seems like much of the TV series has been digressive rather than expansive.

I don't mind the changes in theory. However, their execution for the most part hasnt been all that stellar. The things that have been really working in the show so far have mostly come from the GN. Darryl being a good example of something added to the story that shows potential with decent execution so far.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Fievel on Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:21 am

I read an entertainment blog last night, I think it was at Hitfix(?) last night that said a lot of the same things I was getting at. They agreed that if the CDC is relatively close, why WOULDN'T you at least check it out? I just went back and re-read the first 12 issues (ends with them finding the prison). I dunno. Maybe as one who has read the original a few times and is watching, and loving every single minute of, the TV show, I'm just a Walking Dead (or Kirkman) Apologist? I'll take the title, gods know I've been called worse. But this, to me, is a great example of the two mediums not needing to be so parallel. The original story is really, really good. And I'm enjoying the hell out of what I've seen of the TV show. I guess I'm just able to separate the two a little easier?

As a Stephen King junkie (also apologist?) I'm excited and scared to death about Ron Howard developing King's Dark Tower series. It's something I'd love to see play out in front of my eyes, but regardless of how Howard's adaptation turns out, the books will always play out the same way in my mind, and that will never change. (Harry Potter analogies work here as well)

I know I'm soapboxing the hell out of this issue, but I guess it just bums me out that others who have read the comics aren't enjoying the show as much as I am.

Stereos - I kind of see what you're saying, but in hindsight I think it might have been important to show some good going on in this world (with the gangs) amidst all the shit before they move on to other stories that may not be so.... charitable(?). Assuming they follow the basic skeleton of the comics,the shit just piles on and on and on with only the slightest breaks here and there.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby DennisMM on Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:42 am

Someone on avclub.com pointed out some serious inconsistencies with the episodes thus far. The nursing home is protected and apparently more or less safe, but the CDC is down to one researcher and no military personnel? Seems awfully weird.

Fievel, I wouldn't call you an apologist, but to me the series thus far doesn't seem to have a solid through-line. As I said, the additions seem more about digressing from the original than adding to it. Of course, as the internet meme says, YMMV.

A thought: The researcher says he is working on day 163 of the Wildfire event. Rick appears to have been conscious no more than a week. He can't have been abandoned for more than a couple of weeks, or he'd have died of dehydration after his drip ran out. So, quick guess, the zombie apocalypse can't have been running hard for more than a month or six weeks, at most. Where was, who was, patient zero? Where did this all start? Maybe we'll learn next week.
DennisMM

Postby Fievel on Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:17 am

DennisMM wrote:A thought: The researcher says he is working on day 163 of the Wildfire event. Rick appears to have been conscious no more than a week. He can't have been abandoned for more than a couple of weeks, or he'd have died of dehydration after his drip ran out. So, quick guess, the zombie apocalypse can't have been running hard for more than a month or six weeks, at most. Where was, who was, patient zero? Where did this all start? Maybe we'll learn next week.

And there lies the rub of bringing the CDC into this. The books have followed the Romero blueprint of not naming the cause - it just happened. The cause wasn't important. The stories instead focused on how the living dealt with it. In the preview at the end of the episode the researcher mentions something to the effect of "France was the last to hold out." Even though it doesn't affect the overall story, that's not something I want to know either. Speculation has always been one of the fun parts of zombie stories. It's going to be interesting to see what actually happens next week - completely new ground.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:55 am

Fievel wrote:Stereos - I kind of see what you're saying, but in hindsight I think it might have been important to show some good going on in this world (with the gangs) amidst all the shit before they move on to other stories that may not be so.... charitable(?). Assuming they follow the basic skeleton of the comics,the shit just piles on and on and on with only the slightest breaks here and there.

Ohh no. I definitely agree about taking the detours and seeing the things they are showing us. Ive been enjoying what theyve been changing too. As other people have said. They could just be a bit more consistent with the world they are showing and the execution on these changes could be a bit better writing wise.

I mean if your going to add a "wife beater" try to do something a little bit different with it than just the basic stereotype, especially if youre just going to kill him right away. I also think the added cast members that stick around will get fleshed out and expanded more as the show continues.

As for the CDC I totally agree that being in Atlanta someone would definitely have to mention and maybe attempt to go there.

All in all I just want the writing of the new stuff to equal the quality of the GN stuff and also be consistent with the world.

Hell I am still loving this show. It gives my fiancee a ton of anxiety while watching, which is exactly what it should do.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby tapehead on Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:45 am

stereosforgeeks wrote:"wife beater"

See, for me we got an adequate payoff for this cretin's set up this week in the moment that his wife Carol repeatedly pick-axed his skull - clearly expressing some long repressed rage and speaking volumes about the potential strength of her character in episodes to come. I've only ever read the first collection of the comics and am delighted that the story's translation to tv hasn't been too slavish, while at the same time it is sticking to the core characters and narratives. The CDC story line seems a little tacked-on and weak (I don't know if it's from the comics) but hopefully the point of it will be revealed in good time.

This was perhaps the weakest ep so far, in my opinion, but mostly I'd put that down to it's transitional events, and the way Amy's death was handled as an awkward opportunity by Andrea... to get really close to a dead body... and to watch her sister reanimate as a Zombie... and give her a birthday present!?

The fact is the portion of the comic I've read floats from event to event in a pretty vague passage of time (although much more slowly than the tv incarnation, it seems) and I'm pretty glad the show is being presented with a lot more story structure, at least for this first run of episodes.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Bayouwolf on Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:04 am

I can't say I didn't like this episode, but I can't with any certainty say that I really did like it...

The human element in this was impossible to miss. Amy killing Andrea (most powerful moment in the series yet, IMO...), leaving Jim behind to his fate, having to make a decision to go to someplace unknown to find help of any kind...All things that really punch you in the guts and make you think about what it would be like to lose everything you hold dear and be constantly running for your life. Of course, then the show veers off of the reservation and I start to wonder WTH are they working towards...
With that said though, the CDC arc I can imagine being plausible. It is in Atlanta after all. But what I don't follow (and it's been mentioned above) is that the entire of the CDC is gone, save ONE guy (granted the survivors don't know this, thus making it plausible they might go there) and that just seems wicked stupid to me. Even following the logic that people want to be with their families and possibly having been evacuated to safer ground there SHOULDN'T be anyone left. Why would samples and tissues and whatnot be left in THE MOST INFESTED SITE ANYWHEREZZZ!!!OMG!!! It just doesn't make sense.
Assuming this guy was working on finding a cure (on his own???), I can't imagine he'd have the capability to let his fellow scientists know what he'd discovered...In all honesty, I have no idea where this arc is going. I kinda like that, but at the same time (considering the inconsistencies) I don't...Seems like a waste of time.

BUT...I am done complaining about the comic to TV translation. I feel its a waste of time to keep digging that hole since the people on TV can't hear me yelling at them...So hereafter I am just going to try to watch the show on it's own merits, and not bring in more "fanboy ranting" to the mix.
With that said...From here on out I am only going to dissect the episodes with a little "bloggish rant" called,

And then something really stupid happens...

1) At the CDC, they were walking within INCHES of dozens of automatic weapons, military hardware, riot gear, etc..., while surrounded by hundreds of bodies with bullet holes in their heads. Why would you have everyone running together for an unknown doorway when there was so much to be looted from the surrounding corpses? Obviously they weren't zombies anymore, go collect some supplies/ammo/clothes, etc...
2) They allowed themselves to get SURROUNDED with a massive ROUND building at their back with closed shutters. Why didn't anyone else go look for another way in? Just seems to not follow a logical law enforcement officer protocol, Hell, even the Scooby gang knew when to split up...
3) Why on earth would you bring CHILDREN into an unknown area of a known hot zone? It's not safe at the quarry anymore, I get that...BUT JUST LAST FUCKING WEEK we saw a perfectly safe place the kids could have holed up for the night while the adults went looking for anyone at the CDC...What's the point of showing us angry Latino's with hearts of gold, when it gets forgotten the next fucking day?
4) The closing scene couldn't have been more ripped off from LOST unless Rick's mothers maiden name is discovered to be Locke...
Bayouwolf
Country Bouy

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:40 am

Bayouwolf wrote:1) At the CDC, they were walking within INCHES of dozens of automatic weapons, military hardware, riot gear, etc..., while surrounded by hundreds of bodies with bullet holes in their heads. Why would you have everyone running together for an unknown doorway when there was so much to be looted from the surrounding corpses? Obviously they weren't zombies anymore, go collect some supplies/ammo/clothes, etc...

the guns, ammo etc weren't going anywhere. i think they were more interested in getting inside the building and hopefully finding somebody there who could help them. they didn't travel all the way to the CDC just to get more guns, they went there to find others. they could always gather up whatever guns and ammo they wanted if and when it came time to leave.

Bayouwolf wrote:2) They allowed themselves to get SURROUNDED with a massive ROUND building at their back with closed shutters. Why didn't anyone else go look for another way in? Just seems to not follow a logical law enforcement officer protocol, Hell, even the Scooby gang knew when to split up...

it's not like they got there, found the one door closed, and then broke out the lawn chairs and just sat their a few hours, saying "guess we'll just wait til someone opens that door". they were only there a couple minutes before shane and rick started arguing about whether to stay or go. not really much time to devise a plan for finding an alternate entrance. and by the time shane was almost about to leave, rick noticed the camera moving. so obviously it made more sense to wave at/talk to the camera to let them in, then going looking for another entrance that would surely also be locked and closed off as well.

Bayouwolf wrote:3) Why on earth would you bring CHILDREN into an unknown area of a known hot zone? It's not safe at the quarry anymore, I get that...BUT JUST LAST FUCKING WEEK we saw a perfectly safe place the kids could have holed up for the night while the adults went looking for anyone at the CDC...What's the point of showing us angry Latino's with hearts of gold, when it gets forgotten the next fucking day?

is the CDC building actually inside atlanta? i got the impression that it was somewhere on the outskirts or something, not in the actual city, since we never saw them driving back inside the city. i think it would've been kinda risky to drive straight through a city that's been overrun with zombies, just to drop off a few kids. plus, i don't think any of them want to be split up again. i imagine they felt (and i would agree with them) that the kids were safer with them, wherever they might have gone, then risking everyone to drive through a horde of zombies in the city.

the one thing that bothered me was that blonde chick hanging over her dead sister all that time. maybe for you comics readers, you knew how it was going to turn out, but to me it seemed pretty dumb. of course, we haven't seen how the transition from dead person to walking dead person in this particular zombie goes, and it seems to be a slower, more gradual process than what we're used to in zombie films, where a zombie just suddenly wakes up and lunges for the nearest fresh meat. so i guess if she/they knew that the sister wasn't just going to suddenly spring back to unlife and take a bite out of her, it makes a little more sense. but i, and i'm sure most people watching, were just waiting for that jump scare moment.

they need to resolve whatever happened to merle. they can't just forget about that character, if he disappears and is never seen again, that will be weak. i'm still operating on the theory that he led the zombies up to camp, at least until the show tells me different. but if not, maybe he'll get back to camp and find that note that rick left on the car and follow them to the CDC.

the CDC stuff didn't bother me. it's a bit far-fetched i guess, that there'd only be one guy left alive. but the idea of a bunch of zombies overrunning the US military is much more far-fetched (world war z is a bit more believable in how a zombie apocalypse would actually play out), yet its taken for granted in this show. i have to think we'll see a flashback next episode when the CDC doctor finally meets the survivors and tells them his story, and that will explain how things ended up the way they did at the CDC. as for the timeline, i think he said about 160 days since the "disease" was first identified, and something like 80 or 90 days since it became an epidemic. we don't know how long rick was in the hospital before it got overrun or abandoned, but if the epidemic began around 80 days, they may have held out for 40 or 50 days before leaving the hospital, giving him a month or so before waking up from his coma and leaving. i don't know if that's plausible or not, medically.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fievel on Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:55 am

Bayouwolf wrote:4) The closing scene couldn't have been more ripped off from LOST unless Rick's mothers maiden name is discovered to be Locke...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yeah, I kept waiting for the researcher to enter the numbers, too.

Another thing that makes me laugh.... the downtown scenes, now the CDC, and I think (?) the hospital.... the single random tank. How much more secure can one possibly be?? Did the zombies bite the treads and make it a zombie tank? Why the hell would its crew ever leave it? I mean, I understand that they'd eventually need food, water, and a place to poop, but still....
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:00 am

Fievel wrote:
Bayouwolf wrote:4) The closing scene couldn't have been more ripped off from LOST unless Rick's mothers maiden name is discovered to be Locke...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yeah, I kept waiting for the researcher to enter the numbers, too.

if the CDC guy starts time traveling, then i'll be worried.

Fievel wrote:Another thing that makes me laugh.... the downtown scenes, now the CDC, and I think (?) the hospital.... the single random tank. How much more secure can one possibly be?? Did the zombies bite the treads and make it a zombie tank? Why the hell would its crew ever leave it? I mean, I understand that they'd eventually need food, water, and a place to poop, but still....

apparently AMC can only afford one tank for this show. they just move it around from set to set.
but hey, that's one more tank than Lost ever had.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Bob Samonkey on Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:57 am

I think the CDC guy needs uninfected brains.... BRRRRAIIINSSSSS....
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Fievel on Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:29 pm

The Walking Dead: Is Merle the Governor?

Interview with Kirkman following this past Sunday's episode.
(and no, he doesn't answer the question)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Bayouwolf on Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:37 pm

Fievel wrote:The Walking Dead: Is Merle the Governor?

Interview with Kirkman following this past Sunday's episode.
(and no, he doesn't answer the question)

I don't get the impression that he is going to be...Honestly, I really hope he doesn't...In my world, I kinda hope Merle ends up being the guard from Woodbury that gets them out of there and then tries to sneak back...
Bayouwolf
Country Bouy

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:17 pm

The Governor is way too smart to be Merle. Also, there is one missing element that Merle does not have that needs to be in this show.

A dead little girl
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Bloo on Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:23 pm

Darabont fires his writers, considers a different method

damn, I'm reading some of the comments on Deadline, they're worse then the talkbacks
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Fievel on Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:01 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Wow. Don't know what to think of that. Obviously a lot will happen between now and next October, but it will be interesting to see both what happens and the resulting quality.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheButcher on Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:53 pm

Fievel wrote:

Wow. Don't know what to think of that. Obviously a lot will happen between now and next October, but it will be interesting to see both what happens and the resulting quality.

Maybe he's turning it into a reality show with real Zombies. :wink:
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby The Vicar on Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:04 am

The Republican National Convention?
The Vicar

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:05 am

Fievel wrote:

The writing on this show has never been it's strong suit. However, this doesnt seem like the direction to go in. Color me worried.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby swoop91 on Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:31 am

maybe now it will be a good show. like episode 1 was good.
swoop91
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Nice Marmot on Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:13 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:The writing on this show has never been it's strong suit. However, this doesnt seem like the direction to go in. Color me worried.

Same goes for the comic, in my opinion. Not worried at all about this.
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON

Postby DerLanghaarige on Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:21 am

I think that was the weakest episode of the bunch so far. Some strong character stuff, but a weird structure. And I'm surprised to hear that the ending didn't happen in the comic, because the last moment juts looked like something, that was supposed to look like something right out of a comic.
Anyway, did the show just had its first celebrity director (outside of Darabont)? Okay, it was just Ernest Dickerson, but he directed DEMON KIGHT after all!
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:16 am

Nice Marmot wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:The writing on this show has never been it's strong suit. However, this doesnt seem like the direction to go in. Color me worried.

Same goes for the comic, in my opinion. Not worried at all about this.

Thats true.

Really I think my dream for this show is to get the writing up to par with the rest of the AMC shows. The rest of the AMC are so amazingly written watching the walking dead is akin to having someone slam a hammer into your head screaming "GET IT" at the same time. Really I think its one of the few aspects of the show that needs work. Though Shane is ridiculously over-acted and Lori is just bad. Glenn, Dale, and Rick have been good so far though. If these things are ironed out it could be absolutely amazing.

Was anyone else a little jarred by the "hey we need a hose and gas to get moving!" ok we're on the go now without any explanation and not a word of dialog.

A spoiler from something that was changed in the show but I want to still happen.
I hope Carl still shoots Shane!
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Fievel on Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:51 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:Glenn, Dale, and Rick have been good so far though

I'd add Carl to that list, too. It's been mostly reaction shots for the kid, but he looks genuinely terrified when he's supposed too.

'Walking Dead' exclusive: Exec producer Gale Anne Hurd denies Frank Darabont fired writers, talks season two
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:25 pm

Fievel wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:Glenn, Dale, and Rick have been good so far though

I'd add Carl to that list, too. It's been mostly reaction shots for the kid, but he looks genuinely terrified when he's supposed too.

'Walking Dead' exclusive: Exec producer Gale Anne Hurd denies Frank Darabont fired writers, talks season two

Yeah Carl has been good with what he's had to do so far.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:40 pm

That last episode was amazing.

And it seems that report about Darabont firing the writing staff was incorrect:

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Walking-Dea ... 26363.aspx
http://insidetv.ew.com/2010/12/03/walki ... d-writers/
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:38 pm

A brief excerpt from episode six.

DennisMM

Postby The Vicar on Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:41 pm

And here we go....all the eps in a row, leading to the finale.
Time to review.
The Vicar

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:14 pm

Bayouwolf wrote:
The human element in this was impossible to miss. Amy killing Andrea (most powerful moment in the series yet..

Not for me.

Without a doubt, the most human moment, and my favorite TV moment this year is when Rick first shows up to the camp. And his wife and kid are there, and Carl doesn't even hesitate. He just screams out ,"DAD!" and they run to each other and embrace. After a few episodes of Rick's desperation to find his family, it was so touching. I wasn't expecting him to find them for at least a season, so that was especially nice. I cried. Sue me.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby The Vicar on Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:05 pm

I think it was Andrea killing Amy.
Both the above mentioned moments were outstanding. Rick apologizing to the crawling corpse was a good one too.
The Vicar

Postby DennisMM on Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:16 pm

The fella in the first episode sighting on his zombie wife's skull, then being unable to pull the trigger.
DennisMM

Postby Fievel on Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:15 pm

I think it can be said that this television show about life after the zombie apocalypse is not without its heart-wrenching moments of humanity.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fievel on Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:15 pm

Fievel wrote:I think it can be said that this television show about life after the zombie apocalypse is not without its heart-wrenching moments of humanity.

Come on, now. Let's everybody have a group hug, mmkay?
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby DennisMM on Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:32 pm

DennisMM

Postby Bayouwolf on Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:16 am

So was this episode supposed to elicit some kind of...I dunno..."All hope is lost feeling"?
Because that's precisely what it didn't do. At least for me...
The payoff for the whole CDC story arc is so we can care more for a guy who wants to commit suicide but can't, so he decides he's going to kill people who are still alive to keep them from dying? W.T.F...
Honestly, what the hell was the point of taking the survivors to the CDC if there is nothing to show for it? There was no "almost ready cure", there was no " medical breakthrough that could change the course of the outbreak in danger of not being studied further"...This whole episode played out to absolutely nothing at all. We were introduced to a character we don't care about and then he died as the CDC explodes.

Total.Weaksauce.

MOD EDIT, SPOILER CODE REMOVED. BECAUSE THIS STORY IS IN MULTIPLE MEDIUMS, PLEASE RESERVE SPOILER TEXT FOR INFORMATION THAT ACTUALLY HAS NOT AIRED, NOT INFORMATION THAT MAY BE SENSITIVE.

-Moo
Bayouwolf
Country Bouy

Postby Nachokoolaid on Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:52 am

It seemed like to me it was to build on the idea of hopelessness. I know that's sort of what I was thinking. Even up to this episode, I was sort of thinking that a possibility of a cure or something is out there, but I don't think that's ever a real possibility now. Also, The only way this show will end is when everyone dies and it's a bleak as hell ending, or if there's some sort of surprise nuclear holocaust and the few surviving humans get underground or something and sit out the nuclear fallout for 30 years or whatever and restart mankind. Maybe it will be the little boy and little girl from this show that eventually mate and bring humans back to life. Or whatever.

Also it helped explain some of the "disease." But c'mon. A more aggressive thinker might have said, ok, let's figure out a way to lure as many of those Walkers INSIDE the CDC. Contain them there, and when that big ass bomb goes off, we just killed ourselves a bunch of these cockroaches.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

PreviousNext

Return to Coaxial