Modern Family

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Modern Family

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:27 pm

The Office meets Roseanne?

Honestly I thought the pilot to this show was pretty damn hilarious. From the bb gun scheduling to the creampuffs most jokes just seemed to work effortlessly because it's relate able.

Hell it's just great to see Ed O'Neill in more stuff.

I'll be tuning in for now.

Pacino's Review:
Pacino wrote:Of the three shows, Modern Family looks to be most promising... it's sort of done in a similar style to The Office, with intermittent interviews with the various members of the titular family. Ed O'Neill is the family patriarch... widowed/divorced, he was recently married to an attractive young Colombian lady who has a son from a previous marriage. Ed O'Neill's character has two grown sons: one is g@y and has just adopted a Vietnamese baby with his partner; the other has a wife and three kids (two daughters and one son). The show is primarily concerned with the family dynamic of this "odd" group of people... overall there isn't much originality in the show but there are some funny moments, however they all have to do with Ed O'Neill's married son who is sort of an r-tard that tries to be a hip dad... this character is basically the David Brent of this show (I told you, it's sort of like The Office). I'd watch more of this series before passing final judgement.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Re: Modern Family

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:24 pm

I meant to give this a watch. The previews looked funny. I will have to catch up on Hulu or something.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DanielSan on Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:55 pm

This show was fantastic. Smartly written, wonderfully acted, with some really great character performances. Sorry, Community (which I really like!), this is the best new sitcom of the year.
DanielSan
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby tfactor on Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:33 pm

My favorite part was just as the one guy is saying "we don't want to be overly dramatic, but we have news" the music started playing, OMG I almost crapped my pants I was laughing so hard at that entire Lion King bit.

I say hell yeah to this show and all its characters, plus a big hell to the yeah to Ed O'Bundy being back on television. I think its safe to say; this show will most certainly be one of this year's keepers. It is funny but also very warm hearted and the cast has some awesome potential.

Can't wait for the next episode.
-T
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby DanielSan on Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:40 pm

tfactor wrote:My favorite part was just as the one guy is saying "we don't want to be overly dramatic, but we have news" the music started playing, OMG I almost crapped my pants I was laughing so hard at that entire Lion King bit.

I say hell yeah to this show and all its characters, plus a big hell to the yeah to Ed O'Bundy being back on television. I think its safe to say; this show will most certainly be one of this year's keepers. It is funny but also very warm hearted and the cast has some awesome potential.

-T

"Turn it OFF!"

"I can't turn it off; it's who I AM!"

"I meant the music."

"Oh."
DanielSan
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby DanielSan on Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:42 pm

Oh, and I think Pacino's review is wrong: Ed O'Neil has one son (Dumbledore) and one daughter (Julie Bowen), who is married with 3 kids. Not 2 sons.
DanielSan
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby John-Locke on Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:03 pm

I don't know. From the first episode I got the impression that this show is going to be a little too nice, safe, clean and good natured for my tastes. I'll watch a few more episodes and see if there are any hints of a touch of darkness or something genuinely interesting.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:25 pm

I watched and wasn't impressed. It all just seemed a bit too obvious. Certainly a disappointment and I will not be tuning in for additional episodes.

Seeing Ed O'Neil reminded me how much I miss John From Cincinnati. :P
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:56 pm

DanielSan wrote:Oh, and I think Pacino's review is wrong: Ed O'Neil has one son (Dumbledore) and one daughter (Julie Bowen), who is married with 3 kids. Not 2 sons.

Pacino is NEVER WRONG!!!! :D

Thanks for the correction.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:34 pm

DanielSan wrote:
tfactor wrote:My favorite part was just as the one guy is saying "we don't want to be overly dramatic, but we have news" the music started playing, OMG I almost crapped my pants I was laughing so hard at that entire Lion King bit.

-T

"Turn it OFF!"

"I can't turn it off; it's who I AM!"

"I meant the music."

"Oh."

Yeah that was the funniest bit in an extremely funny show. I am instantly hooked. This is very well written. I would not find it easy giving a cast of characters that size all that detailed characterization. I loved the daughter going on about her sister getting pregnant and the mom keeping her home because of mono so she could pretend the baby was her mom's.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Maui on Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:27 am

Casablanca... Casablanca...

What an extremely funny show.

The couple shopping at Costco.

The model airplane through the hula hoop.

:lol:
Maui
WoWie

Postby Fievel on Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:28 pm

I thought I'd get sick of the The Office interview bit, but it really works well in this show.

Edit:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is post number 6969 for me.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:48 pm

Yeah this show is a winner. I like that it can play around with how some of these people dislike each other, but inevitably they are family. It's kind of like Arrested Development without the cynicism.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Nachokoolaid on Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:39 pm

I also really enjoyed this show. Wednesday's lineup is amazing. The Middle, Modern Family and Cougar Town all are able to make laugh more that I have at a television show in years.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:43 am

Picked up for a full season. Yeah!
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Fievel on Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:55 pm

Just saw a promo for next week.
Shelley Long is going to be on as the original mother of the family (Al Bundy's wife).

I hated Shelley Long on Cheers.
I've hated her in every movie she's been in.
But she looks to be hilarious in this next episode.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby John-Locke on Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:12 pm

Fievel wrote:I've hated her in every movie she's been in.

Even Night Shift?

John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Fievel on Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:33 pm

:oops: I never saw Night Shift.

But I want to slap that picture of her just knowing that she'd eventually be the Shelley Long I strongly disliked.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:06 pm

Fievel wrote:I hated Shelley Long on Cheers.

Massive fail.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby DanielSan on Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:09 pm

Fievel wrote::oops: I never saw Night Shift.

GASP!! See it!
DanielSan
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby DanielSan on Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:10 pm

This show is really good. Even with the sugary-sweet happy endings (and not the GOOD happy endings) of every episode, I can't help but love it. The performances are spot on. Ed O'Neill is fantastic.
DanielSan
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby Maui on Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:55 am

This is one of the best new comedies this year. Just love this show.

Last week's episode was great, especially the stuff with the g@y couple and their baby: at home, at the Dr.'s office, and then the locked car. These two are my favourite out of the entire clan. Ed O'Neill is kinda funny too, especially when he dropped his sons flute then stomped on it. Whoops!
Maui
WoWie

Postby Maui on Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:39 am

Anyone catch Edward Norton and Elizabeth Banks in last night's episode? Too freakin' funny.

Norton was so funny and CUTE in this.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Nachokoolaid on Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:54 pm

This show is beyond great. Actually, I enjoy the entire Wednesday line-up. But Modern Family is the highlight. I really like the husband of the daughter. I don't even know the actor, but he's great.

The episode with him and the bike was on again last night, and I couldn't stop laughing.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby RogueScribner on Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:24 pm

Norton needs to do more comedy. He was hilarious!
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Maui on Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:02 am

Nachokoolaid wrote:I really like the husband of the daughter. I don't even know the actor, but he's great.

Indeed, he is one of the funnier characters on the show. It was funny to see his Coulrophobia this week. FIZBO!!!! :lol:
BTW, the actor's name is Ty Burrell.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Fievel on Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:54 am

Ty Burrel played the yuppie snob in the Dawn of the Dead remake. I was worried that he'd be one of those actors I hated in everything he was in afterwards because of that role. But man... he is awesome in this. I've missed several episodes recently.... including the Ed Norton episode :( That clip above was hilarious!!!
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby magicmonkey on Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:49 am

I watched the opening episode, and I was turned off by the same things as Locke... As well as the structure, which reminded me of everything I hate about TV... My wife loved it though...
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby tfactor on Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:25 pm

magicmonkey wrote:I watched the opening episode, and I was turned off by the same things as Locke... As well as the structure, which reminded me of everything I hate about TV... My wife loved it though...

conflicting married people ... how uniquely original :-P

Your wife can come by the party next weekend but we're going to have to ask her to leave you at home.

Seriously if this show is "everything you hate about TV" #1 what shows do you watch and actually enjoy? #2 why do you watch TV, when there are so many bridges out there you could be sitting under and charging travelers to cross? :o :wink:

love
t
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby magicmonkey on Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:53 am

tfactor wrote:
magicmonkey wrote:I watched the opening episode, and I was turned off by the same things as Locke... As well as the structure, which reminded me of everything I hate about TV... My wife loved it though...

conflicting married people ... how uniquely original :-P

Your wife can come by the party next weekend but we're going to have to ask her to leave you at home.

Seriously if this show is "everything you hate about TV" #1 what shows do you watch and actually enjoy? #2 why do you watch TV, when there are so many bridges out there you could be sitting under and charging travelers to cross? :o :wink:

love
t

:( Believe it or not, I don't have a tv... I live in the third world... you know this T.

I kinda like Lost tho, South Park, Twin Peaks, Roseanne and bits of The Wire (oh yeah and Blossom), but I'm a total islamo fascist when it comes to American TV, it sucks as a consequence of being an advertising revenue generating "art form". If this were a true representation of "modern families" as the title suggests, then maybe my opinion would change... As the wife is giving it a chance, I may see it again and it may actually develop into a work of astoundingly astute televisual truth. I however have better things to do... like TROLLing this goddamn thread.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Maui on Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:14 pm

tfactor wrote:Seriously if this show is "everything you hate about TV" #1 what shows do you watch and actually enjoy? #2 why do you watch TV, when there are so many bridges out there you could be sitting under and charging travelers to cross? :o :wink:

love
t

Sorry, I couldn't resist. A catchy little tune really.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Ribbons on Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:26 pm

This show is seriously funny. I had no desire to see it but all the things I'd been hearing about it made me relent, and I'm glad I did. The "Office"-style documentary aesthetic makes even less sense here than it does on The Office, but it all somehow works. And Ty Burrell's character is the MVP for sure.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby DanielSan on Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:34 pm

Ribbons wrote:This show is seriously funny. I had no desire to see it but all the things I'd been hearing about it made me relent, and I'm glad I did. The "Office"-style documentary aesthetic makes even less sense here than it does on The Office, but it all somehow works. And Ty Burrell's character is the MVP for sure.

Welcome aboard the wagon! Great show, huh?
DanielSan
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby Nachokoolaid on Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:53 am

The Facebook stalker episode was pretty funny. Anything with more Ty Burrell is a plus. And the Dumbledore couple makes me laugh a lot too. You know what, this is a really great cast. I was going to continue naming them and talking about how there's not really a weak link, but that just sounded boring. If there's one weak spot, it's perhaps Ty Burrell's son, but hell, he's only like 10, so we can give him a little leeway. I hope this show goes on for 10 years plus, as long as it stays at this quality.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Maui on Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:40 pm

Nachokoolaid wrote:Anything with more Ty Burrell is a plus. And the Dumbledore couple makes me laugh a lot too.

These three are my favourite. The iPad episode this week was hilarious and rather timely too.
Maui
WoWie

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:11 pm

Maui wrote:
Nachokoolaid wrote:Anything with more Ty Burrell is a plus. And the Dumbledore couple makes me laugh a lot too.

These three are my favourite. The iPad episode this week was hilarious and rather timely too.

Really? I thought it was a big long advertisement and absolutely the wrong thing to be doing. I did laugh but I thought completely sub par.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Ribbons on Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:02 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
Maui wrote:

Really? I thought it was a big long advertisement and absolutely the wrong thing to be doing. I did laugh but I thought completely sub par.

Yeah, it's hard to tell how much of the iPad's exposure in the media is organic. Obviously it is a somewhat big event, but here and elsewhere -- The Today Show used it to give the weather report this morning -- it kind of feels like product placement.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Maui on Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:17 pm

Ribbons wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:
Maui wrote:

Yeah, it's hard to tell how much of the iPad's exposure in the media is organic. Obviously it is a somewhat big event, but here and elsewhere -- The Today Show used it to give the weather report this morning -- it kind of feels like product placement.

What, you didn't appreciate the Steve jobs cameo? pfffffffft
Maui
WoWie

Postby Maui on Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:43 pm

Maui
WoWie

Postby Nachokoolaid on Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:18 pm

Yeah, that no name guy got the best line of the episode.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby RogueScribner on Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:16 am

i really like this show. It's consistently funny every week.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Fievel on Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:54 pm

Oh man, that clip was awesome!
I've missed a lot of episodes. I hope to catch them during the summer.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby RogueScribner on Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:29 pm

I think sitcoms by and large suck these days, especially of the family variety, but MF is really good. I hope it has a long life (but doesn't overstay its welcome).
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu May 13, 2010 12:41 am

I'm late to the party, but now firmly on board. This show is really funny.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby so sorry on Thu May 13, 2010 10:14 am

I'm tuning into this show with regularity, but I don't quite love it. I can't put my finger on what I don't really like about it, especially considering that I keep watching it anyway. Maybe its the fact that this show dances between a sitcom and a drama (dramcom???), and I think the mixture isn't natural. Who knows... but I'm happy its still on the air.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Maui on Fri May 14, 2010 10:54 am

Anyone else think that they sedate baby Lilly before filming each episode? She has got to be the mellowest toddler in sitcom history.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sat May 15, 2010 5:42 pm

Maui wrote:Anyone else think that they sedate baby Lilly before filming each episode? She has got to be the mellowest toddler in sitcom history.

Ha ha. My wife and I were just discussing this the other day.

And I thought the kid's line about peeing on the floor due to the fact that he was trying to brush his teeth at the same time was pretty funny.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Return to Coaxial