Flashforward

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Flashforward

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:39 pm

Based on the novel by Robert J Sawyer this show has potential to be the next highly addicting genre show.

Almost nothing from the book seems to present in the pilot besides the basic premise and some other mild ideas. So this looks like it will be it's own beast. I read the book in anticipation of the show and while I liked the concept and the ideas it never really cohered into anything truly original. It didnt help that I never found the book all that well written.

The first 20 minutes of the pilot I found truly great at showing us what would happen if such a flashforward had occurred. The remainder of the episode played out too systematically with peoples conversations coming to the obvious conclusions. This needed to be done in order for the series to go forward but it felt a bit clunky. Im hoping in further episodes the characters define themselves more as well.

As it stands now what we have is an exciting premise with a promise that the creators know where the story is going. What I hope follows is they start filling in the characters so we actually start to care.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Re: Flashforward

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:20 am

The show wasn't high on my radar at all but I managed to see the show tonight. I must say that I was impressed with how they set things up and am curious to see where it goes. I hope they can keep up a similar pace and not let things get bogged down in the exposition. Somehow I didn't realize that John Cho was in it until I saw him, which garnered a bit more attention from me. I also caught the tip of the hat to the "Lost" fans. I do believe I will be adding this to my regular viewing.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:49 am

Damn, I was mildly interested in checking this out and it got completely lost in the shuffle for me last night... OnDemand, here I come!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby swoop91 on Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:59 am

I will use my evil means of illegal "onDemand" TV via torrents and steal few dollars from the makers of the show in just a few moments!

I hope its okay, kinda liking the short "synopsis"
swoop91
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby stereosforgeeks on Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:02 pm

Hitfix wrote:In the 8 p.m. hour, "FlashForward" had a 7.7/13 in its first airing, with 12.4 million viewers and a 4.1 demo rating.

STRONG START!! Hopefully it retains these ratings next week.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby DanielSan on Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:44 pm

so sorry wrote:Damn, I was mildly interested in checking this out and it got completely lost in the shuffle for me last night... OnDemand, here I come!

FYI - ABC is re-running the pilot episode tonight at 8pm.

I was pleasantly surprised. Looking forward to what happens...
DanielSan
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby swoop91 on Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:35 pm

10/10 for e1!

Also, various torrent sites are replaying hdtv and normal versions of the episode all day long! :p
swoop91
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:04 pm

Yeah that first episode was good. It held my interest more than Fringe. Not sure if it'll fill the hole in the schedule that Lost will make, but it seems okay. Depends where the plot arc goes.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Doc Holliday on Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:38 am

The pilot aired in the UK last night - not bad! Certainly didn't do anything to put me off - I''ll watch a few more eps and see how it goes. There's certainly great scope to develop intricate characters. As good as Jo Fiennes can be, I confidently predict Jack Davenport will steal the show, as he did in Dead Man's Chest.

Riddle me this: Apart from the opening 30 seconds (clear homage), Penny Whitmore and a huge billboard advertising Oceanic airlines - were there any other LOST references?

Travelling forward in time? I blame Jack Shephard/Dharma/John Locke - though it won't be revealed until the end of season 7, naturally.
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Hermanator X on Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:45 pm

Doc Holliday wrote:Riddle me this: Apart from the opening 30 seconds (clear homage), Penny Whitmore and a huge billboard advertising Oceanic airlines - were there any other LOST references?

I guess the kangaroo was their version of a polar bear. Easily explained that its keeper in a zoo maybe passed out when he opened its enclosure to feed it, but still. Was a cool little moment.

The only thing that bugged me about it, was the fact that while the flash forwards were directly influenced by the blackouts (Jo Fiennes couldnt have been investigating it, if it hadnt happened in that time stream) but none of them seemed to give the moment any recognition. For instance, if you knew when it was coming, you would be sat thinking, "soooo this is gonna be my flashforward" and probably spaz out a little, rather than the distorted casual observations that the FF's so far have shown. Its the old paradox malarkey, and im probably reading too much into it, or maybe they have a damn good explanation for it.

Time travel both sucks and rocks to an equallly huge degree.

The guardian had an episode blog up, and someone put up the suggestion in the comments that maybe Dimitri (Cho) was lying. I didnt pick up that vibe at all, as he did seem honestly shaken by not having a vision (and giving into the wedding song choice) but if he saw something awful which he was doing, I suppose that might be a reason to lie, while still giving off a shaken vibe. But like I said, I dont think he was myself, but its an interesting thought. However he could have been asleep, or out cold, as his reasoning that he wasnt dreaming is bullshit, due to the fact that you dont dream in deep sleep.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:50 pm

Hermanator X wrote:The only thing that bugged me about it, was the fact that while the flash forwards were directly influenced by the blackouts (Jo Fiennes couldnt have been investigating it, if it hadnt happened in that time stream) but none of them seemed to give the moment any recognition. For instance, if you knew when it was coming, you would be sat thinking, "soooo this is gonna be my flashforward" and probably spaz out a little, rather than the distorted casual observations that the FF's so far have shown. Its the old paradox malarkey, and im probably reading too much into it, or maybe they have a damn good explanation for it.

I don't know, some of the characters seemed to be quite stressed out about what could cause their eventual flashforward to come true. Perhaps it's a slight hangover from the novel - it had flashforwards of about 20 years (more time to consider things) and the main characters were scientists (who analysed things more rationally). This has been slightly translated into an FBI unit trying to piece things together as detectives.

Time travel both sucks and rocks to an equallly huge degree.

Indeed. Even if the things they show are entirely fictional and likely physically implausible in the real world, there has to be some sort of internal logic that is stuck to (as has been the case in Lost for the most part) otherwise a time travel will always likely fall apart quite quickly.

The guardian had an episode blog up, and someone put up the suggestion in the comments that maybe Dimitri (Cho) was lying. I didnt pick up that vibe at all, as he did seem honestly shaken by not having a vision (and giving into the wedding song choice) but if he saw something awful which he was doing, I suppose that might be a reason to lie, while still giving off a shaken vibe. But like I said, I dont think he was myself, but its an interesting thought. However he could have been asleep, or out cold, as his reasoning that he wasnt dreaming is bullshit, due to the fact that you dont dream in deep sleep.

I think the assumption is that anyone who did not experience any flashforward is probably dead in the future and so had nothing in which to flashforward. (I can't remember if this was mentioned in the episode, I'm watching the repeat showing again tonight).

There are a few other key points from the novel that didn't appear to be referred to (just based on that one episode, mind you, I doubt they'd jump into all that straight away) but the mystery man seen walking around in the stadium and the people trying to kill Fiennes seem to suggest a conspiracy or something.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Hermanator X on Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:44 pm

Fried Gold wrote:I think the assumption is that anyone who did not experience any flashforward is probably dead in the future and so had nothing in which to flashforward. (I can't remember if this was mentioned in the episode, I'm watching the repeat showing again tonight).

Oh yeah, Its assumed in the episode, but if anything, these shows love to throw the twists at us. I just thought that theory about him lying was interesting, but it didnt seem to fit with the character (from what little we have seen of him anyway).

I havent read the novel, and while it sounds ok, I think I may just stick with the show for now. From what ive read it sounds like they have used the book more as an inspiration than a road map. I have way too much I need to get read at the moment, so im gonna ignore this one, so I dont have to reconcile the differences between the book and the show in my head.

As well as the big concepts in the show, I have to say I enjoyed the majority of the writing itself. The characters had some good lines, and they were all delivered pretty well. There was one gag that me ipamping, but I cant recall what it was. I will probs watch it again when the missus returns home from her trip.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:08 pm

Hermanator X wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:I think the assumption is that anyone who did not experience any flashforward is probably dead in the future and so had nothing in which to flashforward. (I can't remember if this was mentioned in the episode, I'm watching the repeat showing again tonight).

Oh yeah, Its assumed in the episode, but if anything, these shows love to throw the twists at us. I just thought that theory about him lying was interesting, but it didnt seem to fit with the character (from what little we have seen of him anyway).

I havent read the novel, and while it sounds ok, I think I may just stick with the show for now. From what ive read it sounds like they have used the book more as an inspiration than a road map. I have way too much I need to get read at the moment, so im gonna ignore this one, so I dont have to reconcile the differences between the book and the show in my head.

As well as the big concepts in the show, I have to say I enjoyed the majority of the writing itself. The characters had some good lines, and they were all delivered pretty well. There was one gag that me ipamping, but I cant recall what it was. I will probs watch it again when the missus returns home from her trip.

There are things in the book which I don't think would work, and I doubt they even try anyway.

I'm wondering if they'll keep the cause of the flash the same though.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Doc Holliday on Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:50 pm

Hermanator X wrote:maybe Dimitri (Cho) was lying. I didnt pick up that vibe at all, as he did seem honestly shaken by not having a vision (and giving into the wedding song choice) but if he saw something awful which he was doing, I suppose that might be a reason to lie, while still giving off a shaken vibe. But like I said, I dont think he was myself, but its an interesting thought. However he could have been asleep, or out cold, as his reasoning that he wasnt dreaming is bullshit, due to the fact that you dont dream in deep sleep.

my first reaction was that he was lying - then when he said he thought it meant he was dead, I totally bought into that, and how he sold it. Now, 24 hours later, I'm starting to revert to my initial reaction.

Or better yet, maybe it'll go down like this: he'll play as a sympathetic good guy for season one, under the auspices of a man who knows he's going to die. If the series gets picked up for more seasons, the writers will panic, LOST style, circa season 3, as to how they're going to pad things out. At this point they'll turn his character on his head, sensationally revealing that he has been lying all along...

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:12 pm

The bit where the FBI boss 'flashed forward' to himself taking a dump and reading the newspaper - my favourite part.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:28 pm

I'm going on the assumption that the bird hitting the window was a relevent detail in some way, and not just a "oh yeah and a bird hit the window" throwaway detail.

...or maybe Lost has made my perception of details slightly warped.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DanielSan on Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:30 pm

Fried Gold wrote:I'm going on the assumption that the bird hitting the window was a relevent detail in some way, and not just a "oh yeah and a bird hit the window" throwaway detail.

No, I think you're right. It'll be a specific moment.
DanielSan
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby Doc Holliday on Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:48 am

DanielSan wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:I'm going on the assumption that the bird hitting the window was a relevent detail in some way, and not just a "oh yeah and a bird hit the window" throwaway detail.

Well here's hoping it proves to be more relevant than it ever did in LOST. *sigh* Oh Walt, whatever did become of your alluded-to-but-never-realised special powers? Come to think of it, looking at the Season 7 poster, whatever became of you, let alone your powers?

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:46 pm

Doc Holliday wrote:
DanielSan wrote:

Well here's hoping it proves to be more relevant than it ever did in LOST. *sigh* Oh Walt, whatever did become of your alluded-to-but-never-realised special powers? Come to think of it, looking at the Season 7 poster, whatever became of you, let alone your powers?

Wait.....Walt?

I thought you were talking about Vincent.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:58 pm

i finally got around to checking out the pilot tonight. it was good. i'll definitely keep watching, unless it starts to suck.
my only worry is whether the premise can sustain a tv series over multiple seasons. it would be great as a one-season series, or miniseries, but it does seem a bit slight to build a whole multi-season show upon. of course, you could've said the same about lost in its first season. and lost has had to do some padding, particularly in season 3. however i (naively?) believe them when they say they had the end mapped out for lost before, and no one could have predicted the direction and scope of that show when it began compared to where it is now.
i think this show seems like it will at least be trying to emulate that pattern, where some season-ending twist sets the show off on some completely new direction. the oceanic airlines billboard is a pretty good hint that they're trying to mine the same territory as that show. also, the fact that the flashforward only went to a date that we'll actually reach in the first season means they've already tipped their hand that there's more to it than just that. they wouldn't have made it that specific date if they didn't already have a plan for where the show would be going AFTER that date came and went.
also, the paradox of everyone knowing what's going to happen, yet nobody in their flashforward actually seeming to be aware that they're in that moment, is so obvious that i HAVE to think they've already got an answer in mind for that one. if not, that would be a major oversight. i was a bit wary of this show because of the time travel aspect and how easily it is to mishandle it. hopefully this show's writers will bring a Lost level of intelligence to it, not a Heroes level of intelligence.
anyways, it's already time for a theory... so my theory of who the dude walking in the security camera at the end is, either (bear with me, i can't keep track of the character's names yet) a) the dude that penny widmore was with in her flashforward, or b) charlie pace (casting spoiler for the 2 people on the planet who don't know he's gonna be on the show yet).
the fact that the show has me thinking this much already after just one show is a good sign.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Hermanator X on Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:49 am

Nice post baxter, and im in full agreement.

I watched it last night, with my GF as she was away when I first watched it. Some further observations:

Strangely, when Dimitri first said that he didnt have a flashback, without any prompting, she said "why is he lying?"
Which I thought was kind of cool, having not seen it myself, when I first watched it, and while I still dont think he did, its kind of interesting to see how different people interpret things.

Tinfoil hat comment: In the run up to the flashforward, Dimitri is sat in the car during the high speed pursuit, and gives a nervous laugh, to which his partner asks "Whats up?" and he says, "Ive never done this before" which on second viewing, sounded a little strange as a fed in LA should be used to car chases, or did he actually know about the blackout coming?
And the fact he effectively disappeared from the car, but we never saw how, though we assume he flew out the windscreen or something, but maybe he never had a blackout at all, and was one of the wide awake club (Called the Wacadays from now on).

Its reaching a bit, but maybe the blackout was planned, and the flashforward was an unplanned consequence of the event.

Thats the end of the Tinfoil hat stuff, which I dont necessarily believe, but im just throwing some wild ideas out there. They may be some nuggets of truth in there.

The bird is the word: I dont think the bird has any real significance, other than being a random recognisable occurence which could correlate the 2 flashforwards as being "real." It happens a lot, just this year I have had to remove around 6 bird corpses from around the garden. Poor birdies. And Alex Kingston looked awful, whatever happened to Moll Flanders???
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:10 am

i thought it was odd that he wasn't in the car too, though i didn't connect that to his lack of a flash forward. wasn't he already all the way on the other side of the bridge or something when the fbi guy finally finds him? he might've had a cut or two, but he didn't exactly look like someone who went flying through a windshield.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Hermanator X on Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:14 am

TheBaxter wrote:i thought it was odd that he wasn't in the car too, though i didn't connect that to his lack of a flash forward. wasn't he already all the way on the other side of the bridge or something when the fbi guy finally finds him? he might've had a cut or two, but he didn't exactly look like someone who went flying through a windshield.

Yeah, if we had seen that he had landed in an over turned delivery truck full of pillows then it would make sense that he was ok. Otherwise its a bit of a mystery how he ended up so far away from the car unhurt. Maybe he was sleepwalking? Doesnt necessarily have to be aware of his actions....
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Doc Holliday on Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:40 pm

Hermanator X wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:i thought it was odd that he wasn't in the car too, though i didn't connect that to his lack of a flash forward. wasn't he already all the way on the other side of the bridge or something when the fbi guy finally finds him? he might've had a cut or two, but he didn't exactly look like someone who went flying through a windshield.

Yeah, if we had seen that he had landed in an over turned delivery truck full of pillows then it would make sense that he was ok. Otherwise its a bit of a mystery how he ended up so far away from the car unhurt. Maybe he was sleepwalking? Doesnt necessarily have to be aware of his actions....

I like this train of thought - if it (the show) does have LOST aspirations, then this detail will have been quite deliberate, pushing me further towards believing there is more to him than meets the eye.

Dammit - he's a Transformer, I see it now.

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:24 pm

Hermanator X wrote:

Was Dimitri unhurt?

I thought he had some bleeding/injury around his head and face.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:19 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
Hermanator X wrote:

Was Dimitri unhurt?

he had some minor cuts, but if you get tossed out a windshield, you aren't usually up and walking around 2 minutes and 17 seconds later.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:56 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:
Hermanator X wrote:

Was Dimitri unhurt?

he had some minor cuts, but if you get tossed out a windshield, you aren't usually up and walking around 2 minutes and 17 seconds later.

Generally after any highspeed car crash you aren't usually up and walking around 2 minutes and 17 seconds later, tossed out through the windscreen or not.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:26 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:
Hermanator X wrote:

Was Dimitri unhurt?

Generally after any highspeed car crash you aren't usually up and walking around 2 minutes and 17 seconds later, tossed out through the windscreen or not.

actually, this just reminded me of something. i was trying to remember if the fbi guy who was still in the car after the flash forward, whether the airbag had gone off... because if you're belted in and the airbag went off, then you stand at least a chance of walking away.
i can't remember if they showed whether his airbag had went off, but i DO remember that during the car chase, i noticed that he had his seatbelt on, and that john cho DIDN'T have his seatbelt on. just an observation, don't know if it means anything.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:01 pm

What in the hell are you talking about? I was reading Baxter's review and his skepticism about the show's "time travel aspects". I have also read discussion of it in this thread earlier. Seriously, what the fuck are you talking about? The show isn't about time travel. No one traveled in time. It doesn't seem like anyone will be traveling in time. All that happened was a blackout where people "saw" their lives in six months. They didn't JUMP to that moment. Otherwise, why wouldn't the FBI director spaz out instead of just taking his dump and reading the paper. Why wouldn't the British lady and whoever was with her just suddenly freak and say, "ONOES WTF AM I DO HERE?" They didn't because they just caught a glimpse of their future. They didn't travel to it. Stop talking about time travel!

Oh and I think it's funny that Smallville and Flashforward basically have the same plot this season.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:03 pm

Alan Ruck!
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:15 pm

Demitri walking around explained without going batshit crazy:

LOTS of people were walking around when Feines woke up. He obviously was knocked unconscious by the blow, still experiencing his flashforward because it came before and during impact. Demitri was not knocked unconscious. He saw all that was going on, probably checked his partner's vitals, then decided to go and help all the suddenly screaming people. Five (or two) minutes later, Feines wakes up and goes looking for him.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:35 pm

So what are the odds the dude walking around the Detroit stadium is somebody from Dharma Initiative's Ann Arbor office?
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:43 pm

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:So what are the odds the dude walking around the Detroit stadium is somebody from Dharma Initiative's Ann Arbor office?

Zero.

I was reading on the IMDB boards earlier some pretty dodgy conspiracy theories that Flashforward is really a Lost spin-off and it'll be that the flash was caused by the island and Dominic whatshisface is playing Charlie.

...but it's all meant to be secret so keep it hush hush wink wink nudge nudge.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:55 pm

I hope the flash was caused by the same method described in the book. It's a lot more interesting.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:50 am

Fried Gold wrote:
Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:So what are the odds the dude walking around the Detroit stadium is somebody from Dharma Initiative's Ann Arbor office?

Zero.

I was reading on the IMDB boards earlier some pretty dodgy conspiracy theories that Flashforward is really a Lost spin-off and it'll be that the flash was caused by the island and Dominic whatshisface is playing Charlie.

...but it's all meant to be secret so keep it hush hush wink wink nudge nudge.

Watching the pilot I thought how easy it would have been for "FlashForward" to be a "Lost" spin-off/sequel, but I was kidding with my query.

Enjoyed tonight's episode. Glad to see the clues are forthcoming. Seems to me I heard the date everyone flashed forward to happens to be an actual airdate for the show and they're already working on something special for it.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bill blake on Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:30 am

you chaps from across the pond are cute. it's called a windshield not a windscreen. they're in la, not london. if somebody from the london bureau had been thrown out of a car it would have been through the windscreen.

besides, demetri wasn't thrown clear. he's a double agent. maybe even an unwitting one at that.

two episodes in i'm pleased. they hook me each week with the final scene. the middle's a little clunky. how many times in an hour can desmond's wife and ralph fiennes' brother show up at each other's workplace (two in this one, but i'll bet the writers will find ways to get a lot more as the season creeps on). btw, could i see her flashforward one more time.

regardless, the acting is good, the concept is fascinating, and the action is nice at 7:00p.m. i don't watch a lot of television (see my localized posts). it's nice to have another show i like enough to write about.
bill blake
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:41 am

bill blake wrote:you chaps from across the pond are cute. it's called a windshield not a windscreen. they're in la, not london. if somebody from the london bureau had been thrown out of a car it would have been through the windscreen.

You Yanks are so scared of the wind that you have to shield yourselves from it.

We just screen it off for added comfort.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DanielSan on Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:57 am

bill blake wrote:btw, could i see her flashforward one more time.

I know, right??
DanielSan
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:22 am

the 2nd episode wasn't as good as the first, but i liked the bit in the doll factory, and the building up of the mystery. the mystery aspect of the show is what is keeping me interested. the "drama" aspect, not so much. and that little girl is already starting to irritate me.

i do hope the show is not going to be one long exercise in "ooh watch the pieces fall into place" leading up to their flashforwards. it seems so obvious (especially for the people who saw bad stuff happening) that if you know it's going to happen and how and when, that you could stop it from happennig. like the chick who ends up with that dude, if she really didn't want to end up with him, she could do something drastic, like kick him in the nuts every time she sees him, and that would probably keep that future from coming true. and now that sulu knows the date he's gonna die, if i were him, i'd totally lock myself away somewhere as far from civilization as possible for that whole week or month. unless this is gonna be one of those " the harder they try to prevent the future, the more they unwittingly actually make it come true" scenarios... which would be disappointing, because i'm getting enough of that already with lost. i don't need another show to go over the same ground. at least i'm hoping that shot of the guy burning the friendship bracelet is a sign that this won't be the case.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:32 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:What in the hell are you talking about? I was reading Baxter's review and his skepticism about the show's "time travel aspects". I have also read discussion of it in this thread earlier. Seriously, what the fuck are you talking about? The show isn't about time travel. No one traveled in time. It doesn't seem like anyone will be traveling in time. All that happened was a blackout where people "saw" their lives in six months. They didn't JUMP to that moment. Otherwise, why wouldn't the FBI director spaz out instead of just taking his dump and reading the paper. Why wouldn't the British lady and whoever was with her just suddenly freak and say, "ONOES WTF AM I DO HERE?" They didn't because they just caught a glimpse of their future. They didn't travel to it. Stop talking about time travel!

that's a rather narrow interpretation of time travel. there are things other than human bodies that could potentially travel through time.... like minds and consciousness and information.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:34 am

I didn't find the second episode as interesting as the first. I don't see them being able to continue on just by having a new part of Fiennes' mosiac revealed each week, and having him try to change his vision...only to see it happen anyway...is just going to get tiring. They should have a story where they test the concept - have them sit in the office without investigating anything and see if a new puzzle piece turns up anyway.

I didn't quite understand why Deedee Gibbons turned up, or how her credit card had suddenly been stolen by the "hacker" in Utah.

A nice touch was the policewoman talking to Sulu about not seeing a flashforward, then dying five minutes later.

Deedee Gibbons & Cupcakes are the new Rose & Bernard.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:46 am

Perhaps Sulu was in a coma in the future, which would likely negate any vision of his "future".
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:06 pm

Fried Gold wrote:I didn't find the second episode as interesting as the first. I don't see them being able to continue on just by having a new part of Fiennes' mosiac revealed each week, and having him try to change his vision...only to see it happen anyway...is just going to get tiring. They should have a story where they test the concept - have them sit in the office without investigating anything and see if a new puzzle piece turns up anyway.

that's exactly my fear. i think if i was joe fiennes, and i knew from my premonition that a) i was gonna go back to being a drunk, b) my wife was gonna leave me for another dude, and c) by the time of the flashforward i STILL wouldn't have solved the case, i'd just quit my fbi job, stop investigating, and avoid that whole future entirely.

Fried Gold wrote:Deedee Gibbons & Cupcakes are the new Rose & Bernard.

i thought they were the new Nikki and Paulo.
Paulo would be Deedee.
Nikki would be the cupcakes.
they did look like some tasty cupcakes though.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:30 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:I didn't find the second episode as interesting as the first. I don't see them being able to continue on just by having a new part of Fiennes' mosiac revealed each week, and having him try to change his vision...only to see it happen anyway...is just going to get tiring. They should have a story where they test the concept - have them sit in the office without investigating anything and see if a new puzzle piece turns up anyway.

that's exactly my fear. i think if i was joe fiennes, and i knew from my premonition that a) i was gonna go back to being a drunk, b) my wife was gonna leave me for another dude, and c) by the time of the flashforward i STILL wouldn't have solved the case, i'd just quit my fbi job, stop investigating, and avoid that whole future entirely.

I guess they have three options:
1. He constantly tries to investigate to change the flashfuture, but ends up creating the same flashfuture anyway.
2. He gives up investigating, and sees if the timeline still snaps into the same flashfuture.
3. They can show that the future events shown during the timequake are not predestined and can be changed.

The second, while a good experiment, would just involve him sitting around at home most of the time. The third is going to be needed to keep this show alive beyond 13 episodes.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bill blake on Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:01 am

yawn.
nothing happened but silly pontificating about everybody being prophets.

ooh, the nazis, i'm shaking.
and i quote; "is this going anywhere?" boy, she sure hates nazis.
the guy still doesn't get out for a while. plus, he said in his flashforward the whole reason he got out was because of a murder. so what did we watch tonight? dead crows? a goat herder's son with a horrible facial scar seeing an event? an event i couldn't quite make out, but then again i have an old television. any help – beyond get a new television – would be greatly appreciated.

finally, a drinking game.
every time we see desmond's wife's flashforward we take a shot of hot buttered rum.
bill blake
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Jakester on Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:42 pm

The murder Nazi-dude was referencing was the dead "murder of crows."

Sulu's finacee said she saw their wedding, and the other guy had his daughter's grave exhumed and found that the body was, in fact, his daughter's. Both things suggest that the future is mutable, or they point to some other, larger conspiracy.

And what's with the tower at the end?
Jakester
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:56 pm

Boring.

Literally nothing happened in it, apart from the "revelation" being dumped in the last 30 seconds.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:33 pm

I just caught up with all four episodes today...

HA, you guys thought last week's episode was boring?

Episode 4 is hands down the most boring, as they ignore following up on last week's great big Somalian mystery instead to chase after Arab drug dealers and continue pouting!!

Also, most annoying characters are Dr. Wife and the British dude. Not Fiennes, the one that's actually speaking in British.

Hot dog, they got themselves the Lost Hobbit!!!! <---- glad I avoided this thread before because I did not know that!

But the writing is ok sometimes, and nonsensical other times... there are contradictory attitudes in the characters from one moment to the next, apparently done only to be able to spout out some "cool" one-liners. *eye roll* It is forgivable as the premise is interesting enough.

However, I do not appreciate any references to Lost or any attempts for this show to become like Lost. If it keeps up I'm gonna drop this show like a lump of Lost!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:49 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:Hot dog, they got themselves the Lost Hobbit!!!! <---- glad I avoided this thread before because I did not know that!

i haven't watched tonight's episode yet, it's sitting on the dvr. so, he's really in this? after not turning up in the first three episodes, i was beginning to think the casting of charlie was one big ruse to throw people off, and that he was actually going to be returning for the final season of Lost
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:50 am

Pacino86845 wrote:I just caught up with all four episodes today...

HA, you guys thought last week's episode was boring?

Episode 4 is hands down the most boring, as they ignore following up on last week's great big Somalian mystery instead to chase after Arab drug dealers and continue pouting!!

Also, most annoying characters are Dr. Wife and the British dude. Not Fiennes, the one that's actually speaking in British.

Hot dog, they got themselves the Lost Hobbit!!!! <---- glad I avoided this thread before because I did not know that!

But the writing is ok sometimes, and nonsensical other times... there are contradictory attitudes in the characters from one moment to the next, apparently done only to be able to spout out some "cool" one-liners. *eye roll* It is forgivable as the premise is interesting enough.

However, I do not appreciate any references to Lost or any attempts for this show to become like Lost. If it keeps up I'm gonna drop this show like a lump of Lost!

I think your "nothing happens" signature is quite apt for Flashforward.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Next

Return to Coaxial