Flashforward

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Re: Flashforward

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:46 pm

Possible immense spoilers if you've not read the book:

http://flashforward.web.cern.ch/flashforward/
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:40 pm

Fried Gold wrote:I think your "nothing happens" signature is quite apt for Flashforward.

or is that, "nothing WILL happen"?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby papalazeru on Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:33 pm

Why is everyone conivinced that in every sci fi show, they need someone from another popular sci fi?

It's like everyone wants to be Dirk Benedict...and there's only one FACE, so get that into your heads.

Dollhouse basically is BSG lite, now this show has Lost Hobbitses.

I'm sure there's a world of talented actors out there that aren't being used right now, anyone want to grab them? I'm sure they charge less.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:59 pm

So...the fourth episode was better than the third episode in that....some stuff happened.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Doc Holliday on Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:24 pm

Fried Gold wrote:So...the fourth episode was better than the third episode in that....some stuff happened.

I dunno dude - in the third episode, loads of birds died.
In the fourth episode I was asked to take on board a hobbit as an omniscient, deadly force - quite possibly of evil.

My vote goes to the third episode....
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:37 pm

Yeah I thought the fourth episode was worse than the third, hands down.

Has anyone else been having flashes of The 4400 while watching this series?
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:47 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:Yeah I thought the fourth episode was worse than the third, hands down.

i think heroes was the 4400 ripoff. this is more like the dead zone, except EVERYONE is anthony michael hall.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:56 pm

You're right, but I guess what I meant was more that in Flashforward you have a mysterious global event which people globally try to figure out, even setting up special government divisions in order to handle and dissect the event. It's the public "awareness" that makes me think of The 4400, also the mystery behind the event.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:28 pm

yeah, i can see that. so it's sort of like a 4400-deadzone mashup, but less interesting.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:09 pm

So, episode 5...

Man these people can't afford to have these huge filler episodes so early on in the series!!! What the hell, the viewers have barely registered the intrigue of the show's very premise, and rather than continue that intrigue for a while they've rather put the brakes on the story.

So we get to spend the episode mostly with some bogus hearing in which Joseph Fiennes gets ripped into by his boss's evil bitch of a nemesis.

Lesbo action is awkward... how do you screw up lesbos?

And like a B-movie, at the end of the episode a gun fight and martial arts extravaganza ensues due to a group of apparently upset Asian dudes... I guess the moustachioed CIA dude that blamed China for the black outs got his point across!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:35 pm

I'm sick of this programme.

Every episode since the pilot had followed the same pattern:
- Teaser
- Nothing happens
- nothing happens
- little reference to a flashforward
- nothing happens
- something happens
- end

It's like watching the Blair Witch Project. Such a shame considering the awesomeness if the book it's based on. I can't say I'm that bothered that showrunner has already been axed.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:26 am

i stopped watching a couple weeks ago, but i'm continuing to dvr the episodes in case things pick up. i think it might entirely be possible to just watch the last 5 minutes of every episode, and skip the rest, and not miss a thing.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:19 pm

That's pretty much right on... the last five minutes of last night's episode especially emphasize that trend. It was so batshit crazy and outta nowhere that you think for a second maybe another show has just come on as you watch it. I'll give Flashforward a couple of more episodes before deciding to drop it. *sigh* Where art thou good sci-fi?
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:59 pm

I've read some that some people think it's wrong to criticise the show.

I think that we are in the position to demand better from it, if it wishes to survive, considering the standards of quality set by other shows.

Hopefully David Goyer will makes changes now he is the sole showrunner
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:39 pm

of course we have the right to criticise the show. we're on the internet. that's what the internet was made for!
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby bill blake on Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:00 am

a least we didn't see a dr. desmond's wife's flashback. what are we, five episodes into this piece of network palaver? and i still don't know the character's names. what does that say? don't answer that.

i liked the alarm clock running in the blood. that was it this weak.
bill blake
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:28 am

bill blake wrote:a least we didn't see a dr. desmond's wife's flashback. what are we, five episodes into this piece of network palaver? and i still don't know the character's names. what does that say? don't answer that.

i liked the alarm clock running in the blood. that was it this weak.

I know there was someone called Deedee Gibbons. And Sulu is playing Demetri.

I just had to look up on Wikipaedia for the rest.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:23 pm

The FBI chick that was shot last week has the most interesting flashforward ripple IMO... before the flashforwards she was just an ass-kicking lesbo without any thought of ever having a kid, then in her flashforward she sees herself pregnant. And now that she's been shot doctors are telling her it's nearly impossible for her to get pregnant ever, and she is like totally upset. If it wasn't for the flashforward she wouldn't have given a shit, but by that time she had already become open to the possibility that it was going to happen, only to have it taken away! *head explodes*

Ok, they are still leading us on... the writing is nowhere compelling enough to keep me invested though... a cross-eyed Hobbit is an unconvincing Quantum Physicist, but an even less convincing villain.

I dunno, I can give it one more episode or just stop now... I'm hoping the new V series will be good.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby papalazeru on Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:33 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:HA, you guys thought last week's episode was boring?

Episode 4 is hands down the most boring,............

If it keeps up I'm gonna drop this show like a lump of Lost!

Pacino86845 wrote:Yeah I thought the fourth episode was worse than the third, hands down.

Pacino86845 wrote:So, episode 5...

Man these people can't afford to have these huge filler episodes so early on in the series!!! What the hell, the viewers have barely registered the intrigue of the show's very premise, and rather than continue that intrigue for a while they've rather put the brakes on the story.

Lesbo action is awkward... how do you screw up lesbos?

Pacino86845 wrote:..... I'll give Flashforward a couple of more episodes before deciding to drop it. *sigh* Where art thou good sci-fi?

Pacino86845 wrote:Ok, they are still leading us on... the writing is nowhere compelling enough to keep me invested though... a cross-eyed Hobbit is an unconvincing Quantum Physicist, but an even less convincing villain.

I dunno, I can give it one more episode or just stop now... I'm hoping the new V series will be good.

When Pacino? WHEEEEEEEEENNNN?!?!?!?!?!!

Admit it Pacino, you just love following the carrot mirage dangling in front of your face.

papalazeru

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:37 pm

HAHA, I'm a sucker for sci fi concepts... but I've been consistent (albeit way too forgiving) in my episode-to-episode reviews. Last week I said "two more episodes," this week I said "either one more or I stop now." And yes, I am progressively losing interest with each new episode... with Harold and Shakespeare Don't Go to Somalia, I WANTED to like the show, but it just ain't happening. And the Lost people are truly unwelcome here.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:45 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:HAHA, I'm a sucker for sci fi concepts... but I've been consistent (albeit way too forgiving) in my episode-to-episode reviews. Last week I said "two more episodes," this week I said "either one more or I stop now." And yes, I am progressively losing interest with each new episode... with Harold and Shakespeare Don't Go to Somalia, I WANTED to like the show, but it just ain't happening. And the Lost people are truly unwelcome here.

they are... dare i say... LOST?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby The Vicar on Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:23 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:HAHA, I'm a sucker for sci fi concepts... but I've been consistent (albeit way too forgiving) in my episode-to-episode reviews. Last week I said "two more episodes," this week I said "either one more or I stop now." And yes, I am progressively losing interest with each new episode... with Harold and Shakespeare Don't Go to Somalia, I WANTED to like the show, but it just ain't happening. And the Lost people are truly unwelcome here.

Same here. It sucks, but the show just isn't delivering. I don't need another Lost-ian puzzlebox to jerk me around.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby papalazeru on Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:31 pm

The Vicar wrote:

Same here. It sucks, but the show just isn't delivering. I don't need another Lost-ian puzzlebox to jerk me around.

Just watched all of the eps. I don't mind watching if the show ends soon after the flashforwards and they solve everything.

One thing I'm really getting from the series is their choice of songs suck. Not that the songs are bad, just really inappropriate.

papalazeru

Postby bill blake on Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:00 am

Fried Gold wrote:Possible immense spoilers if you've not read the book:

i am growing more and more weary of this show and stuff like this does not help its chances. if this is what caused the blackout i hope flashforward does get cancelled. can you imagine the kind of uproar it would cause if flashforward was popular and they got that thing up and going again. leave it to the trusty media to point that out once they do get it going again. i wish to fuck this weren't a spoiler. i sound like an idiot using all these pronouns. i may even sound like an idiot anyhow.

if i am making sense, those of you who knew this is what caused the blackout. why are you sitting through this dreck?

is mark and olivia's relationship that good?(i finally got their names!)
bill blake
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby papalazeru on Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:22 am

bill blake wrote:

Who?

papalazeru

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:00 am

bill blake wrote:

i am growing more and more weary of this show and stuff like this does not help its chances. if this is what caused the blackout i hope flashforward does get cancelled. can you imagine the kind of uproar it would cause if flashforward was popular and they got that thing up and going again. leave it to the trusty media to point that out once they do get it going again. i wish to fuck this weren't a spoiler. i sound like an idiot using all these pronouns. i may even sound like an idiot anyhow.

if i am making sense, those of you who knew this is what caused the blackout. why are you sitting through this dreck?

Honestly what causes the blackout in the book is resolved immediately and is never a question. All the interesting things arise after.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:20 pm

bill blake wrote:

From what I've seen of the show so far, it doesn't entirely look like they are going with the same cause of the timequakes as the book.

And the book isn't so much qrapped up about "OMGZ What caused this?!?!?!" or super giant twisting conspiracies.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Doc Holliday on Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:36 pm

Last episode was the first time I vaguely cared about the Shakespeare-Mrs Desmond-Norrington triangle, though not by much. I continue to be underwhelmed by Charlie Hobbitses, particularly as a menacing, sociopathic force. I feel like playing this program at its own game and flashing forward to the last ep of the season before watching again. I reckon Ill still have caught up wihtin 20 mins.

The one 'surprise' is sooner or later, someone will do something that renders their flashforward invalid. This will probably happen a week or two before Harold's impendng death - we of course will be very excited at this, wondering if he too, can cheat fate.

Or not.
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:34 pm

So:

Episode 1 - Quite good
Episodes 2-4 - a bit rubbish and pointless, with only ten minutes of worthwhile stuff
Episode 5 - Quite good
Episode 6 - Alright
Episode 7 - back to being a bit rubbish.

I think that sums thing up.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:16 pm

papalazeru

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:27 pm

They've already given the go ahead for a full run, so they've got another 20 episodes to get their act together.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:34 pm

maybe they only saw 137 seconds of it.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby judderman on Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:57 pm

I like this show. I don't really care if the showrunner is Brannon Braga, the man who singlehandedly ruined Star Trek and created the submoronic Threshold. I don't care if the main character's a cardboard cutout douchebag who sounds weirdly like Christopher Lambert, or that his wife's a creepy, haggard whiny harridan who I can't wait to see die, or that the "other man" is about as appealing as a bus crash and as "manly-vulnerable" as a telecoms service provider. I don't even care that they shoehorned a hot lesbo subplot in an effort to be sleazy and titillating while simultaneously appearing progressive. With a great deal of effort, I can even manage not to care that they cast the cool guy from The Hunt For Red October in a role that made Avery Brooks's on DS9 seem emotive, or that they cast friggin Merry Charlie as the villain of the show. I like it for the same reason I'm one of the few people on planet Earth who still gives a crap about the Terminator franchise. It's about the nature of fate vs. free will, a topic I think about a lot, even when, from what I've read online on the subject, most people find the very concept offensive. I think a lot of people confuse free will with freedom of choice, when they are not the same thing.
Last edited by judderman on Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
judderman
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby TheBaxter on Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:36 pm

judderman wrote:I don't even care that they shoehorned a hot lesbo subplot in an effort to be sleazy and titillating while simultaneously appearing progressive.

hmmm.... maybe i should give this show another chance...
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:51 am

We get the new episode tonight, before the US.

Take that mothercussers. Get ready for spoilers.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:31 pm

Fried Gold wrote:We get the new episode tonight, before the US.

the joke's on you. nobody in the US watches the show anymore.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby judderman on Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:24 pm

Wow. This went from "the new Lost" to, well, lost pretty quickly.

I should have known Brannon Braga couldn't run a show unless it was into the ground.
judderman
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:50 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:We get the new episode tonight, before the US.

the joke's on you. nobody in the US watches the show anymore.

Now w/ 100% LESS Canada!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:38 pm

Yhay, they finally got to the LHC-type stuff. And Hobbit's character is fleshed out a bit more but not in an annoying way.

judderman wrote:Wow. This went from "the new Lost" to, well, lost pretty quickly.

I should have known Brannon Braga couldn't run a show unless it was into the ground.

Brannon Braga isn't showrunning, David Goyer is. This is evidenced by the lack of temporal anomalies in the storylines....oh....wait...
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Shanny Boy on Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:00 pm

Smh, I'm about the last person left that still likes this show I guess. :\
Shanny Boy
GLIB

Postby John-Locke on Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:33 pm

Wow this thread has been so popular, NOT!

Says it all really.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Al Shut on Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:50 am

That fact I show up in a coaxial thread, not caring enough to be afraid of spoilers says it all

Actually Germany is at the point of last fall right now where everybody evidently stopped giving a shit and even stopped complaining. Judderman summed it up pretty good only that I have no real reason to look past it's mehness.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:54 am

John-Locke wrote:Wow this thread has been so popular, NOT!

Says it all really.

I gave up on it. Then someone told me it'd got better, so I caught up. It wasn't any better. Giving up on it again.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brit Pop on Fri May 07, 2010 9:46 am

Is anyone still watching this? Anywhere? Anytime?

I had a flashforward.... the show had been axed.

I've tried to have an interest in this show... but am totally underwhealmed by each new episode.

Even discussing the characters or storyline seems pointless.

I guess I feel bad for the actors mainly... Monaghan and Walger, Lost alumni.... John Cho, always fun to watch (almost always).

But you can keep your Feinnes!
Brit Pop
AIRWOLF

Postby papalazeru on Fri May 07, 2010 10:39 am

I'm still watching.

I'm not totally sure why though.

Every now and then it pique's my interest but then when nothing happens I sink even lower.

papalazeru

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Fri May 07, 2010 2:15 pm

Current speculation is the show is likely to be canceled. Can't say I'm surprised.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby geekgrrl on Thu May 27, 2010 1:02 am

How ironic is it that the next to the last episode of FlashForward should be titled “Countdown”? This past week we learned that FF had been cancelled and what a shame that has turned out to be. After an admittedly shaky start it has grown to be a solid, fun show that has interesting twists, turns, and characters. But as it would seem the BMOC over at ABC feel that V is a better show and more deserving of a second season. I wonder if any one at ABC is even watching that show? In my humble opinion it sucks something awful, but whatever I am just going to enjoy the last two episodes of FlashForward and pretend that V dies a horrible death next year.

Unfortunately Thursday’s episode was just as confusing as ABC”s decision to cancel the series. I will be the first to admit that shows with big casts do not bother me in the least. In fact, I quite enjoy them because it doesn’t allow me the time to get bored with one particular storyline or irritated with the fact that one character is seen over and over and over again. However if a big cast is not handled correctly it can lead to chaos and confusion. Such was the case of “Countdown.” It was as if the writers knew they were headed to the season finale (the script was obvisously written way before the cancellation) and they needed to take everything they had set up in the premiere and cram it into one hour. This would have been fine if it wasn’t for the fact that we were dealing with 10 different characters and basically 10 different storylines. That is a hell of a lot to stuff in to a 44 minute time period (I’m not counting commercials). Instead of following every detail I found myself getting confused, lost, and then finally bored with it all.

So much so that it barely registered that Dem chose to break all the rules and help Simon. Or that Nicole is no where near her flash (not that I actually care). Did Tracy die? I can’t even remember and that is something that I should remember seeing as how I just finished watching the episode for the 2nd time not 30 minutes ago. And if I don’t remember what happened how can I care about it? The answer is I can’t care about it. I know I should. I know that I am supposed to care about some of these characters but the truth of the matter is that I just don’t. It sucks to like a show and realize that you don’t like or care about some of the characters. Unfortunately although it seems as though they were all major the fact is that for the most part they weren’t. Even Lloyd became smaller than Simon and he was and still is part of one of the bigger flashes. However it would seem from the looks of things that his flash had less to do with a major love affair and is more about opportunity. But I guess we will or won’t find out for sure next week in the finale.

But again I ask, who cares? Keiko has only been seen as of this writing 3 times and we, the audience, are expected to be emotionally connected to her storyline since it is connected to Bryce’s who is connected to Nicole who is apparently connected to nobody. Hell Model Chick hasn’t babysat for the Benford’s since the first couple of episodes so we can’t count that connection. Yet when Keiko was told by her mother that she had to get on a plane headed to Japan the knowledge that she wouldn’t be able to meet Bryce I didn’t care at all. “Big deal, who cares” I thought. I couldn’t even bring myself to care that Zoe all but called it quits with Dem after she found out about Dem being a baby daddy. Not that I can blame her, but still. Zoe has at least been around longer than Keiko and seen a lot more, but no, I don’t care. In fact I hope that Dem doesn’t get on the plane in next week’s episode. It’s not because I don’t like Zoe. I like her just fine, but once again they have failed to capture me in terms of their relationship being the one that overcomes all obstacles.

“Countdown” showed me that despite my love for this show it has some major drawbacks and failing aspects to it. Shows like FlashForward, Lost, and Battlestar Galatica are made on their storylines, but their characters and the emotional connection the audience has towards them. If the audience didn’t love Admiral Adama as much as they did BSG would have faltered with in the first season. If Michael Emerson as Benjamin Linus hadn’t dug his way into our hearts Henry Gale wouldn’t have seen past the 3 episodes he was orignally scheduled to be in. For some reason FF has failed to capture the heart of it’s characters and unfortunately for would be fans they now have no way to correct their error.

For the sake of honesty the only reason I continued to watch FF was because I wanted to see “My Hobbit” again. Other than 1 episode of lost at the beginning of the 4th season I hadn’t seen Dominic Monaghan on the small screen in 2 years. There was no way that I was going to stop watching the show before I got a chance to see if he could move past my visions of him as the loveable drug addict Charlie Pace. Luckily for me and other viewers in my opinion, proved once and for all that he could do more than play washed up has beens and hungry hobbits. Unfortunately for the viewers he alone wasn’t enough to hold the show on his shoulders. And even in this episode I found myself wanting to know what the point of him being there was? Other than falling asleep during the Dem and Janis melodrama that took place on the sidewalk. Talk about being comfortable in your surroundings. Sheesh. Oh well by this time next week we will all know which flashes came true and which ones were able to thwart destiny. Hopefully it will be interesting. If not what a sucky way to bow out.

http://lostinreviews.com/
http://lostinreviews.com/ For those of us who live outside of normal
geekgrrl
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Jakester on Thu May 27, 2010 12:41 pm

The finale is 2 hours?! I see myself FlashForwarding through a lot of it.
Jakester
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Fried Gold on Thu May 27, 2010 4:02 pm

I will watch the finale, just out of curiousity...to see if they:

- make mention of 1987A in some way
- send Fiennes or Sulu billions of years into the future
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MacCready on Thu May 27, 2010 10:56 pm

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:Current speculation is the show is likely to be canceled. Can't say I'm surprised.

What did the network expect? The schedule for FF was complete bollocks....they just wouldn't commit to it they way they needed to.
Wasted opportunity. Dumb asses.
MacCready
MAN IN SUIT

PreviousNext

Return to Coaxial