Stargate Universe (It's actually pretty good)

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Stargate Universe (It's actually pretty good)

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:30 pm

For Brit Pop :wink:

I watched the Pilot and I was actually pretty impressed. Clearly, they borrowed from recent Sci-Fi shows (ie BSG) but it was the first Stargate I have enjoyed since the movie.

Anyone else watching?
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: Stargate Universe

Postby Ribbons on Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:34 pm

Borrowed is an understatement. Not only is the wardrobe and cinematography eerily similar to BSG, but aren't they trying to find "Earth"?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:39 pm

I saw the trailer for this last week and thought "That doesn't look like the usual crappy Stargate SG1 affair" and considered watching it.

Then someone told me it was pretty much the same Stargate SG1 affair, but with less lighting and more Robert Carlyle....and my interest waned.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:44 pm

Ribbons wrote:Borrowed is an understatement. Not only is the wardrobe and cinematography eerily similar to BSG, but aren't they trying to find "Earth"?

Ha, yeah they certainly are.

But I was mildly entertained. And maybe it is just because I am looking for my BSG fix, but I will give it time to see what they have in store.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brit Pop on Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:03 pm

Cheers Leko!

I love the Stargate franchise, all carefully kept warm under the wing of Ricky Dean!

Its a lot harder to watch SG1 on Sky these days, its got a bit dated, Atlantis is still a good watch when theres nothing else on.

I liked the first SGU, lots going on, lots of new faces... including the superbly beautiful Elyse Levesque, and the kooky nerd David Blue, who I thought I wouldnt like, but he grew on me like Tok'ra crystals (geeky SG ref!).

Begbie is an awesome choice for the lead man, I'll be watching this show in its entirety... it'll have at least 2 seasons I'd wager!
Brit Pop
AIRWOLF

Postby Brit Pop on Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:06 pm

And yes, I'll admit its pretty much a repackaged Star Trek Voyager, but its got Stargates in it... and no Neelix!

That is until the first alien they meet joins the cast..... we all know its gonna happen!
Brit Pop
AIRWOLF

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:17 pm

"Borrowed"? LOL

The new Stargate is a blatant ripoff of BSG, even down to the music! Not interested.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Brit Pop on Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:20 pm

Maybe a ripoff.... but its BSG for Stargate fans - many of us didnt have the intellect to enjoy BSG, me included.

Dont judge them too harsh, at least I get my weekly sci-fi fix again, much needed!!!
Brit Pop
AIRWOLF

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:13 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:"Borrowed"? LOL

The new Stargate is a blatant ripoff of BSG, even down to the music! Not interested.

I agree about the blatant ripoff, but honestly this is a selling point for me as opposed to a reason not to watch, so long as they do it right. I liked the pilot, didn't fall in love but liked it well enough to set up a DVR season pass and give it a whirl for awhile. The tough part is...with it being such an "homage" to BSG, comparisons are unavoidable and I have concerns that it will not come close to living up to that.

I did have to laugh though, even the wailing sirens during the outpost attack were exactly the same as the sirens from BSG.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:38 pm

Ribbons wrote:Borrowed is an understatement. Not only does is the wardrobe and cinematography eerily similar to BSG, but aren't they trying to find "Earth"?

Weren't all the sets, costumes and props from BSG auctioned off on Ebay?

...I think we know who bought them all now.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:15 pm

I got about a third of the way through the pilot before the kids started acting up.
I liked what I saw so far.

Someone said it was a BSG for Stargate fans.
I'll look at it as a Stargate for this BSG fan.

I only saw the movie and never got into the SG series. I'm hoping this show spells everything out (as far as the Stargate world is concerned) for the stupid people out there.... meaning me.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fievel on Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:31 am

Two episodes down..... liking it so far.
The communication stones thing is weird. Were those used in other SG shows?
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:53 am

Still haven't seen the second ep, but I hope to remedy that soon as I really did find the pilot mildly entertaining. At least enough to hold me over so I don't start pulling my hair out waiting for Doctor Who to return.

Oh, and BSG: The Plan.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ONeillSG1 on Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:47 pm

Fievel wrote:Two episodes down..... liking it so far.
The communication stones thing is weird. Were those used in other SG shows?

Yes, they were first discovered in the Season 9 opener "Avalon" when Daniel Jackson and Vala were transported to another galaxy, the galaxy where the Ori originated from.

I guess in the show's canon, they have studied them and employed them within the "two years" since they discovered the device.

Stargate Human Encyclopedia shutdown commencing.

EDIT: Whoops, actually they were first introduced in the Season 8 episode "Ordinary Joe." But, the way that they are used in SGU was first introduced in "Avalon." Nerd out.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:22 pm

My friend keeps telling me to watch it but Ive only seen the movie and random sg1/atlantis eps.

I was in the theater opening day for the movie though. Made my dad drive a bunch of friends and I.

May check this out after a few more eps air.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:44 am

Saw ep 3 tonight.

Pretty good. But jesus, Rush was grating on me.

I'm working on cutting back on smoking right now. But that episode has me rethinking that....

I'm enjoying the show, though, overall. I'm definitely willing to see where it leads. And I have not watched one single hour of anything Stargate related since the movie came out in theaters.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:51 pm

I just got caught up with the two eps I missed. I am more than sold on this show. It really is impressive, considering I have seen the less than stellar outcome of previous Stargate shows. What I am most impressed with is the restraint the creators are showing in respect to the pacing. I fully expected them to shove in a few more action scenes just to appease the ADD masses. But they really letting the tension and drama build. Again, impressive.

It isn't without flaws. Far from it, actually. My biggest complaint is probably how over-the-top they paint Rush (in an overt attempt to recreate Gaius Baltar) and the handling of Eli. Going for the Jonah Hill-type is such a "flavor-of-the-month" typical studio/network decision. I would have liked it to have been played a bit more serious. There is drama to be mined from the out of his depth drop out angle.

But I am in it for the foreseeable future, that much is certain. I am also digging the cliffhangers. A nice touch. Although, have we figured out why that shuttle was launched at the end of ep. 2? Did I miss something?
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:33 pm

Ok, after last night's episode I am ready to declare: this is a good show.

It isn't excellent, but it is quite good. And I would recommend it.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Trik_Ster on Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:07 am

It's an abomination

They took a steaming dump on a franchise with 15 years of entertainment

They might have killed the franchise by stapling Stargate to this bsg clone populated by dicks and wimps

This is a soap opera that just happens to be set in space

petty little struggles for power spaced out by people rubbing against each other and making glicky noises

An avalanche of cliches and stereotypes
Trik_Ster
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Brit Pop on Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:17 pm

Trik_Ster wrote:It's an abomination

They took a steaming dump on a franchise with 15 years of entertainment

They might have killed the franchise by stapling Stargate to this bsg clone populated by dicks and wimps

This is a soap opera that just happens to be set in space

petty little struggles for power spaced out by people rubbing against each other and making glicky noises

An avalanche of cliches and stereotypes

Opinionated much???

Stick to BSG dvd's my friend, I like the franchise and I like this show.
Brit Pop
AIRWOLF

Postby Trik_Ster on Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:25 pm

Syfy deletes negative threads, Gateworld deletes negative threads, imdb deletes some negative threads
All forums are a garden of plants
With phrases like *I never watched sg-1 or atlantis but after 3 episodes I'm ready to declare Universe the best show currently on tv*
And the same person will later say *thank god they got away from the english speaking alien of the week*

Such transparent plants
Trik_Ster
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:40 pm

Trik_Ster wrote:Syfy gaffneys negative threads, Gateworld gaffneys negative threads, imdb gaffneys some negative threads
All forums are a garden of plants
With phrases like *I never watched sg-1 or atlantis but after 3 episodes I'm ready to declare Universe the best show currently on tv*
And the same person will later say *thank god they got away from the english speaking alien of the week*

Such transparent plants

we don't delete negative threads unless, of course, they are about Harry's weight or are anti-Barbarella or in any way besmirch cows.

Keep in mind, though, that just because someone may disagree with you about Universe they are not necessarily a plant, and that not everyone may share your adoration of the rest of the SG series. Personally I think most of it is crap. Y'know, just by way of example.

I'm not sold on Universe yet. It is a pretty hard-core "homage" to BSG. And it is already becoming somewhat formulaic (oops no air...oops no power...oops no water), but while some of the characters are cliched I'm finding enough there to keep my interest for now.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby Brit Pop on Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:59 am

Can't we all just... get along??

There were a couple of Stargate TV shows... but they finished - the fans were sad...

There was a BSG reboot... but it finished - the fans were sad...

Then someone took the mythology from SG and the camerawork from BSG, and created a new show.... so all of the fans could continue to get a fix of whan they need without having to resort to Heroes!
Brit Pop
AIRWOLF

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:57 am

Brit Pop wrote:
There were a couple of Stargate TV shows... but they finished - the fans were sad...

There was a BSG reboot... but it finished - the fans were sad...

Then someone took the mythology from SG and the camerawork from BSG, and created a new show.... so all of the fans could continue to get a fix of whan they need without having to resort to Heroes!

You are a wise man, my friend.

And every time I see your sig I hear "BERZERRRRKERRRR" in my head...
Lord Voldemoo

Postby DennisMM on Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:48 am

I'm gonna throw my hat in the ring by saying that I found the earlier SG stuff boring, but I'm willing to give this a chance.

(And that SG-1 running as long as it did makes my head hurt. And that I'm so glad dioxholster from the TBs isn't here.)
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Brit Pop on Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:05 pm

Colonel Telford is one nasty motherfucker!!!!

I absolutely hate the bloke!

But the whole 'other body' thing is too fucked up to discuss... If a complete stranger turned up at your door... lets say he looks like Harry... and says "I'm your husband.... let do it!!"

Do you think they would?!?

Colonels Youngs wife is a skank!
Brit Pop
AIRWOLF

Postby Fievel on Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:43 pm

You mean that was Harry that I... I....... OH MY GOD!!!!!!1
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Brit Pop on Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:17 am

The last episode, Time, was top notch! Time travel.... extremely unfriendly aliens.... gunfights and casualties left right and centre... well, sort of!

If it carries on with this pace then a second season is a dead cert!

Loving it so far!
Brit Pop
AIRWOLF

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:35 pm

Brit Pop wrote:The last episode, Time, was top notch! Time travel.... extremely unfriendly aliens.... gunfights and casualties left right and centre... well, sort of!

Loving it so far!

Totally agree. The last few eps have been solid and the next one looks great as well. I really like the way this is ramping up, although having sex with your loved one whilst using someone else's body seems more than a bit messed up. How the hell did she agree to that?
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Trik_Ster on Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:17 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:
Brit Pop wrote:The last episode, Time, was top notch! Time travel.... extremely unfriendly aliens.... gunfights and casualties left right and centre... well, sort of!

Loving it so far!

Totally agree. The last few eps have been solid and the next one looks great as well. I really like the way this is ramping up, although having sex with your loved one whilst using someone else's body seems more than a bit messed up. How the hell did she agree to that?

I disagree
Time was the best episode to date. But considering what came before that isn't saying much.
Plus while it was better I believe they left a big plot hole open
I need to see it again, (and *groan* sit through eli's unrequited nerd love speech again) to be sure

Best parts of Time:
The kino getting shot - most annoying gadget in Sci-fi EVAR
Rush's MOOBS (a cup, but they're there) - after hearing all the women going on an on about how zekz he is

I really did like the message in a time bottle aspect though
Still hate kino's though
Trik_Ster
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Fievel on Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:03 pm

The info guide I get through my cable box said that last night's episode was the First Season Finale.
That doesn't really make sense as everywhere I look they say that the first season is 20 episodes.

Regardless, last night's episode was good. Having said that.... I dislike the idea of (once Rush gets back... because he will likely get the ship to work) having two people so fundamentally against each other on the ship. The entire crew's lives are hard enough given their unknown course, but having Rush & Young in their situation (Rush setting up Young for murder and Young leaving Rush for dead) will make for a ridiculously tense situation. People are quick to compare this show to Battlestar Galactica. I'm trying to imagine BSG with only one ship and having Adama and Roslyn trying to constantly kill each other.... gets boring for me quickly.

Hopefully the way this episode left off will make for good television and not a boring "who's trying to kill who this week?" situation.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:40 pm

Fievel wrote:The info guide I get through my cable box said that last night's episode was the First Season Finale.
That doesn't really make sense as everywhere I look they say that the first season is 20 episodes.

Regardless, last night's episode was good. Having said that.... I dislike the idea of (once Rush gets back... because he will likely get the ship to work) having two people so fundamentally against each other on the ship. The entire crew's lives are hard enough given their unknown course, but having Rush & Young in their situation (Rush setting up Young for murder and Young leaving Rush for dead) will make for a ridiculously tense situation. People are quick to compare this show to Battlestar Galactica. I'm trying to imagine BSG with only one ship and having Adama and Roslyn trying to constantly kill each other.... gets boring for me quickly.

Hopefully the way this episode left off will make for good television and not a boring "who's trying to kill who this week?" situation.

It was the "winter finale."
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Trik_Ster on Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:19 pm

Fievel wrote:The info guide I get through my cable box said that last night's episode was the First Season Finale.

They're following the BSG formula of releasing a half season of eps on DVD and charging full season prices
Trik_Ster
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Brit Pop on Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:01 pm

I guess the 'its just a re-packaged BSG stigma' is never going to go away then!!

This show is awesome, I like the SG franchise.... SG1 dated horribly, SGA is starting to look a bit past-it, apart from the Alterno-Vegas episode which I saw on TV earlier - amazing, and it had two Soprano's actors in it.

'Time' was still the best SGU episode so far, but the last one was great.... whats Rush gonna do now???

If only he had McGuyver with him, he'd have that bucket o' bolts FTL-ing in no time!!

For a moment there.... I thought we were in trouble!
Brit Pop
AIRWOLF

Postby Fievel on Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:26 am

Syfy renews 'Stargate,' 'Sanctuary' Cable net hands each series a 20-episode order

also

"Universe" recently aired its freshman midseason finale. The show's hiatus will extend until April, and Season 2 will debut in the fall along with a third season of "Sanctuary."
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Shanny Boy on Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:56 pm

I'm looking forward to what happens when Rush gets back to the Destiny. Him and Young didn't really like each other to begin with...
Shanny Boy
GLIB

Postby Fievel on Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:23 pm

Season 1.5 Trailer

I hate this whole "Season 1.5" shit. It's still Season One. Blah!
Having said that, I'm excited to see this return to the air in April!!!!
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fievel on Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:29 pm

aaaaaaannnnnnnnr it's back!
The whole alien part was pretty cool. Has that particular species been seen in other Stargate shows?
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:34 pm

Fievel wrote:aaaaaaannnnnnnnr it's back!
The whole alien part was pretty cool. Has that particular species been seen in other Stargate shows?

Whyd they get Rush back so quickly?!??!?! Would have been nice to have them in 2 different places for a bit.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Fievel on Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:17 am

stereosforgeeks wrote:

Whyd they get Rush back so quickly?!??!?! Would have been nice to have them in 2 different places for a bit.

Agreed. And after tonight's episode I've discovered my biggest complaint with this show so far...
They have really grand story ideas but just cram them all in one episode. Tonight's episode with the mystery planet was an awesome idea but to cram one month's time into one episode like they did? It never reached it's potential. It would have been better had they ended it with the obelisk light. They could have ended it the same way - some people stayed behind and Destiny moves on. But other than some fresh food and an all-to-quick montage of the military & civilians playing games on the planet, the episode was too rushed. I don't even remember there being a second shuttle until Young flew down in it. I couldn't understand why they were diagnosing the shuttle's problems when it was on the new planet, when all along they were talking about a second shuttle.

Regardless, I'm 100% into this show. It's satisfying my BSG withdrawal* just fine, albeit a completely different buzz.

*And I'll admit I've only seen the pilot of Caprica. I plan on catching up during the summer.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Jabbadonut on Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:20 pm

Well, no. Destiny is in some galaxy far far away (not Pegasus) so the aliens in that episode were new. I suspect they'll show up again at some point.

I'll say this about SGU, it is getting better with each episode.
People keep comparing this to BSG, but I don't see it. It is more like ST: Voyager, than BSG. And I am totally in love with Alaina Huffman. She is my type, for sure.
Look! Even Steve is throwing chocolate snowballs . . . oh . . .
Jabbadonut
REAL DRAGON

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:14 pm

Fievel wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:

Agreed. And after tonight's episode I've discovered my biggest complaint with this show so far...
They have really grand story ideas but just cram them all in one episode. Tonight's episode with the mystery planet was an awesome idea but to cram one month's time into one episode like they did? It never reached it's potential. It would have been better had they ended it with the obelisk light. They could have ended it the same way - some people stayed behind and Destiny moves on. But other than some fresh food and an all-to-quick montage of the military & civilians playing games on the planet, the episode was too rushed. I don't even remember there being a second shuttle until Young flew down in it. I couldn't understand why they were diagnosing the shuttle's problems when it was on the new planet, when all along they were talking about a second shuttle.

Regardless, I'm 100% into this show. It's satisfying my BSG withdrawal* just fine, albeit a completely different buzz.

*And I'll admit I've only seen the pilot of Caprica. I plan on catching up during the summer.

I agree with all of the above. The show isn't perfect (*gasp* neither was BSG), but I'm finding it very enjoyable thus far, and I'm liking what they are doing with the characters. One factor that I enjoy is that they are not only exploring the galaxy(ies), but they are still exploring the ship itself, as they continue to repair new sections and make new discoveries, etc. Destiny is so big, and the group is so small, they can milk this concept for awhile. It has a cool, almost haunted house feel to it, which I dig.

That said, I couldn't agree more with the point that certain storylines feel very rushed (no pun intended). it's like they want to use only one-shot stories and restrict any arc solely to general character development...which makes sense early on, but there's no reason that they couldn't have made the mystery planet story at least into a two-parter. There was so much there to expand on.

Anyway, as someone who had never watched a single hour of anything Stargate-related beyond the original Kurt Russell film, I'm very pleasantly surprised to be able to add this to my must-watch list.
Lord Voldemoo

Re: Stargate Universe (It's actually pretty good)

Postby Brit Pop on Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:48 pm

I really like SGU... but yes, the episodic format of wrapping up stories all in one is a bit annoying.

One thing that never seemed to make any sense was the episode 'Time' - whereby they were under attack from slimy burrowing alien creatures, there was also a time travel / alternate timeline thing going on, the episode ended on what seemed would be a 2-parter... but the very next episode they were on something completely different.

Anyhoo - in the last episode, 'Divided', they had to perform surgery on Rush... and said they were using the alien venom for medical purposes - I'm assuming the same alien venom from 'Time' which cured them of the virus people were coming down with.

So that was a bit confusing.
Brit Pop
AIRWOLF

Postby Brit Pop on Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:55 pm

Another fine SGU episode... and this one looks like it will stretch over two episodes, or at least it had better unless 40% of the main cast all got done for DUI recently!
Brit Pop
AIRWOLF

Postby Fievel on Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:23 pm

Brit Pop wrote:Another fine SGU episode... and this one looks like it will stretch over two episodes,

That was my first thought... FINALLY!!
Good stuff there, and how they get back to Destiny is going to be interesting... or how Destiny gets back to them (most likely).
I hope it's just not a matter of convenience, like Rush getting scooped up by the aliens.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:35 pm

Fievel wrote:
Brit Pop wrote:Another fine SGU episode... and this one looks like it will stretch over two episodes,

That was my first thought... FINALLY!!
Good stuff there, and how they get back to Destiny is going to be interesting... or how Destiny gets back to them (most likely).
I hope it's just not a matter of convenience, like Rush getting scooped up by the aliens.

hahaha, it's like they were reading the thread! I really liked the first episode of the (assumed) two-parter, and am looking forward to the second act. I think I have a pretty good idea as to how it will play-out, which, if so, is unfortunate, but I'm still looking forward to seeing if I'm right.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby Fievel on Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:56 pm

My first guess is that Rush won't be able to access full control but merely reverse the order of destinations.
Oh, and he'll be less of a dick because his wife gave him the verbal bitch slap in his sub-consciousness. Kind of saw a hint of that at the end where he was trying to be optimistic.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:01 pm

Fievel wrote:My first guess is that Rush won't be able to access full control but merely reverse the order of destinations.
Oh, and he'll be less of a dick because his wife gave him the verbal bitch slap in his sub-consciousness. Kind of saw a hint of that at the end where he was trying to be optimistic.

tend to agree about the limited control. I don't know if it will simply be reversing directions or something else, but I think that will be the gist. I think you're right about Rush too, and I hope that the writers don't just forget about it after 2 or 3 episodes. I like Rush as the caustic, cutthroat scientist, but I am really liking seeing a few glimpses of something other than that. He should never be Pollyanna, but a little more emotional range would be nice. Baltar was always most interesting when his good angels were battling his inner demons (sorry for yet another BSG comparison...)

EDIT: By the way, I just realized that one statement in my last post was pretty unclear:

Lord Voldemoo wrote: I think I have a pretty good idea as to how it will play-out, which, if so, is unfortunate, but I'm still looking forward to seeing if I'm right.

What I meant by that is that if it plays out how I expect it to, it's unfortunate that it was PREDICTABLE, not that the story is, in and of itself, flawed. It seemed to me like they pretty well broadcast how they would resolve this dilemma in the first episode. If they did, I wish they would be a little less predictable.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby Fievel on Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:40 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:
Fievel wrote:My first guess is that Rush won't be able to access full control but merely reverse the order of destinations.

tend to agree about the limited control. I don't know if it will simply be reversing directions or something else, but I think that will be the gist. I think you're right about Rush too, and I hope that the writers don't just forget about it after 2 or 3 episodes. I like Rush as the caustic, cutthroat scientist, but I am really liking seeing a few glimpses of something other than that. He should never be Pollyanna, but a little more emotional range would be nice. Baltar was always most interesting when his good angels were battling his inner demons (sorry for yet another BSG comparison...)

It's a valid comparison and one that I don't find to be a fault for SGU. Although it was Col. Young that pulled the most Baltar-like move by leaving Rush to rot on that planet and then lying to everyone about what had happened.
As far as I can remember, this last episode was the first that Rush had a genuine light-hearted smile on his face. He may have smiled before but it likely didn't appear to be genuine. I liked that.
Rush absolutely can be the caustic, cutthroat scientist AND be a human being at the same time.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby DennisMM on Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:07 pm

Ya know what this thread needs?

dioxholster.

The show's not bad, considering it's Stargate, probably because it's the least like the original premise than any of the other series.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Next

Return to Coaxial