Stargate Universe (It's actually pretty good)

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Re: Stargate Universe (It's actually pretty good)

Postby Brit Pop on Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:31 pm

DennisMM wrote:
The show's not bad, considering it's Stargate, probably because it's the least like the original premise than any of the other series.

Libelous!

I take offence!
Brit Pop
AIRWOLF

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Sun May 02, 2010 1:08 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:
What I meant by that is that if it plays out how I expect it to, it's unfortunate that it was PREDICTABLE, not that the story is, in and of itself, flawed. It seemed to me like they pretty well broadcast how they would resolve this dilemma in the first episode. If they did, I wish they would be a little less predictable.

So much for being predictable. The resolution could still be what I was expecting to happen, but I like that they are drawing it out somewhat.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Brit Pop on Mon May 03, 2010 3:24 pm

In the last episode, Eli, Scott and Chloe were gate hopping to try to catch up with the Destiny...

and they sent the keno through one gate to check out the planet, but the atmosphere was toxic... so they lost the keno because if someone had have gone through to get it and bring it back, they would have probably died before they had a chance to redial back again...

this got me thinking - why are the gate seeding ships not laying down dhd's with the gates? since this requires anyone using the gates to have a remote control with them... any malfunction of a remote or simply getting left behind would be extrememly problematic, even for an ancient.

It seems as silly as building a big house with many doors, but having all doors locked without any keys...

It doesnay make sense cap'n!
Brit Pop
AIRWOLF

Postby Fievel on Tue May 04, 2010 11:13 am

The monster they encountered on the jungle planet was pretty damn cool!
But..... why the hell did homeboy waste a single bullet on it?!? You'd think that ammunition would be a precious commodity in their situation.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Brit Pop on Sat May 08, 2010 3:31 pm

I felt it was only fair to ensure everyone has seen this image!

Brit Pop
AIRWOLF

Postby swoop91 on Sat May 08, 2010 4:21 pm

This episode was good, however I just knew that they'd be beaming back to ship once they dropped out of ftl.

EZ solved mistery
swoop91
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Trik_Ster on Thu May 20, 2010 9:33 am

Brit Pop wrote:In the last episode, Eli, Scott and Chloe were gate hopping to try to catch up with the Destiny...

and they sent the keno through one gate to check out the planet, but the atmosphere was toxic... so they lost the keno because if someone had have gone through to get it and bring it back, they would have probably died before they had a chance to redial back again...

this got me thinking - why are the gate seeding ships not laying down dhd's with the gates? since this requires anyone using the gates to have a remote control with them... any malfunction of a remote or simply getting left behind would be extrememly problematic, even for an ancient.

It seems as silly as building a big house with many doors, but having all doors locked without any keys...

It doesnay make sense cap'n!

The gates in SG: Phew predate the gates seen in previous series and the movies by hundreds of thousands if not millions of years
They're more primitive, less powerful and less feature rich
Hence they're limited on range

Also, the gates were planed on being used by the ancients sometime in their future
No reason to make the sytem fully functional until you intend to use it
No DHD's makes it harder for civilizations not your own to use the system
Trik_Ster
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby ONeillSG1 on Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:04 pm

That was INTENSE!

Kinda thought that's how they'd end the T.J. baby storyline and I'm finally glad that Eli mustered enough courage to tell Chloe "you know".

Is Rhona Mitra set to return next season? That might help figure out what the Season 2 finale might have in store.

They really picked the nose up on this one.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:38 am

Just got caught up with this. The finale was cool, but lord does Col. Young make bad decisions. Seriously, he is just brutal at times.

This show entertains me, but the writing/character work is only ever average or below. Maybe I was spoiled with BSG, but SGU invited the comparison so readily that I can't help but think how much better BSG did it.

Anyway, I will be sticking around for the next season. If for nothing else, to watch and pray that they shape up and give command to Greer. The main reason (besides the eye candy) to watch the show.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:35 pm

Second season begins the Tuesday at 9pm!
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fievel on Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:20 am

Anyone still watching this?
Things got really interesting in tonight's episode.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby swoop91 on Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:10 pm

Finally something happened.

I hate space shows when they get somewhere, and immidatelly they WANNA GET HOME TO MOMMY.

Fuck it guys, you're over 9000LY away, on the most imba-cool-fucking-as-hell space ship with gazilion gadgets that wants to find out the secret of the universe,
but the first thing they wanna do is get HOME.

Not mentioning that they got to see something that changed their lives so much that they won't be able to adapt no fucking way.

And ELI, he is a geek, he watched StarTrek, didn't he watch Voyager? jeebus.

But yesterdays show was great. Rush & Young <3
swoop91
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Fievel on Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:34 pm

Yeah - loving the Rush/Young truce cemented with Rush saving him. Hopefully that's the end of the animosity and the beginning of a new direction for not only them, but the whole crew/mission. Really, it took a season and a half to get everyone on the ship's true Bridge! I don't know how anyone else feels, but I find that to be a positive aspect to the overall story. It seems so rare for shows to be able to pull off a slow burn of a story like that.

Eli - I remember that a lot of reviews (and I think some here in the Zone, too) immediately wrote him off as a Jonah Hill knockoff character. I never saw that. He's always been a unique and extremely interesting character to me. Like you said, Swoop - he's a Geek.... on a space ship.... traveling through the universe. He's really grown in this season so far. The episode with his mother was really good. And kudos to him and the redhead Ginn (HOTT!). I don't like how her... well not her character, but her body ended the last episode. How the fuck did that guy get to walk around the ship unsupervised!?!?!?
I really liked Greer's role in getting them together, too. It's good to see him mellow out a bit and be human. I just hope he doesn't have any more flashbacks with the horrible afro wig.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby swoop91 on Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:59 am

I think Eli will go "mental" over the guy is something goes wrong. And lol at the girl captured in amanda's body :DDDD hahha.. poor amanda/redhead.

Greer is like a "brother" to Eli, or so have two of them grown, Eli is intimidated, and yet drawn to him, I like that relationship.

I was kinda expecting Eli to say "engage" when he was in the captain's chair.
swoop91
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Fievel on Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:18 am

FUCK!!!!!

I really liked this story. I thought it moved at a nice slow pace - slow enough that it didn't cram its mythology down the viewer's throat, but fast enough that they seemed to give out nuggets of info at a nice steady rate. This was the first, and only, Stargate show I ever watched. I guess it's my last, too. Sigh.

That BSG First Cylon War series better happen and had better stick around. I need quality sci-fi in my life. That change from Sci-Fi to SyFy really did mark the beginning of dark times at the channel, didn't it?
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fievel on Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:23 pm

The beginning of the end starts in a little bit.
:(
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fievel on Sun May 15, 2011 1:04 pm

:(

This was a good show, and I'm going to be pissed for a while that they cancelled it. That is, of course, unless SyFy either brings it back or makes a movie in three years when the Destiny should be reaching the next galaxy. I probably didn't need to spoiler that... it's done. There is no more.

Overall I'm happy with all of the characters' arcs this season - although I don't know how the guy from the Lucian Alliance was able to be so healthy after that fall he took in the previous episode. Col. Young's hug to Eli was a nice emotional peak for the episode, if not the entire series, and I loved the shot (although they seemed to be pounding it into my eyes after a while) of Eli looking out at the stars. Nice shot to end with.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Previous

Return to Coaxial