Justified

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Justified

Postby DanielSan on Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:37 pm

Just saw this on the main site. Didn't see a topic here, so I thought I'd start one. I'm hooked on one scene!
DanielSan
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Re: Lawman

Postby Fievel on Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:47 pm

Absolutely hooked on the one scene as well.
I agree with the Deadwood-in-the-21st-century vibe it gave off..... and don't care.

I'll be checking this show out for sure.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby travis-dane on Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:01 pm

I am an Olyphant fan since Scream 2.
Looking forward to seeing this.
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:03 pm

travis-dane wrote:I am an Olyphant fan since Scream 2.

Ah, Mickey.

The man who purpotrated a series of murders with the sister of Roseanne. Such a hardass was he.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DanielSan on Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:06 pm

travis-dane wrote:I am an Olyphant fan since Scream 2.

I enjoyed him in "The Girl Next Door."
DanielSan
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby Hermanator X on Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:10 pm

He seems to have bit more personality in this role than in deadwood, which is a good thing.
I love deadwood, and his uber serious schtick was a great foil to swearengen, but its nice to see him a bit more animated.
Count me in for this one too.

And I agree Daniel San, he was ace in the girl next door.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Re: Justified

Postby John-Locke on Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:04 pm

Trailer Here

Looks excellent
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Fievel on Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:41 pm

I like the new title better than Lawman. Seriously, that original title sucked.

I really hope this show is as good as it looks.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:54 pm

Damn, I hope the show is as suh-weet as that trailer. I also hope its on Hulu because I don't think I'll have cable then.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby jofussunshyne on Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:59 am

Looks decent, bit gung ho & trigger happy but I'll be watching. Who is the main star there? Good to see Shane Vendrell back too ;)
"What sick ridiculous puppets we are, and what gross little stage we dance on. What fun we have dancing and fucking, not a care in the world, not knowing that we are nothing, we are not what was intended." - John Doe, Se7en.
jofussunshyne
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Peven on Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:55 am

I'm in. best role for Olyphant since Deadwood, and to be honest it looks like he is playing this guy as a 21st century Seth Bullock

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Jabbadonut on Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:05 pm

The ads for this sure make it look good. I'm starting to salivate . . .
Look! Even Steve is throwing chocolate snowballs . . . oh . . .
Jabbadonut
REAL DRAGON

Postby travis-dane on Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:09 pm

Olyphant+Ranger+TV Show= WIN.
-
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby buster00 on Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:54 pm

This does indeed look interesting.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Jabbadonut on Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:51 pm

I heard some grumblings this morning that the pilot is good, but after that, it drops. I hope that rumor is wrong . . .
Jabbadonut
REAL DRAGON

Postby Bloo on Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:18 pm

Elmore Leonard + Timothy Olyphant = my ass watching this

F/X is just the sweet topping
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Ribbons on Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:21 pm

I didn't realize this was set in the present; I heard Timothy Olyphant was playing a sheriff and saw the posters with him wearing a ten-gallon hat and just assumed it was another Deadwood.

Anyway I still don't know much about it, but even though "Justified" is a pretty stupid title (not that "Lawman" was much better), it's been getting some pretty good reviews
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Conroy420 on Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:01 pm

Is this playing on any Canadian channels?
I know FX shows (like SOA) usually play on SuperChannel, but a few months after their original air date.

Any help with this would be much appreciated.
To read some original works by me, please ask, I need the feedback!
Conroy420
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Ribbons on Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:19 pm

Conroy420 wrote:Is this playing on any Canadian channels?
I know FX shows (like SOA) usually play on SuperChannel, but a few months after their original air date.

Any help with this would be much appreciated.

Click on this, good chum!

http://tvzone.channelcanada.com/Article4207.html
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fievel on Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:13 pm

Finally got around to watching this...... and loved it!
I hope the rest of the season maintains everything that worked in that first episode..... although reviews have said the next two episodes aren't as good.
Hoping for the best....
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:30 am

I enjoyed the hell out of it. It looks like they laid some nice groundwork for a season, I just hope they don't get bogged down in assignment of the week stuff.

Was it just me or did Peter Green look like hell?
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:01 am

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:Was it just me or did Peter Green look like hell?

I don't think he's ever really looked particularly "well" in anything I remember him being in! :-P
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby John-Locke on Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:56 pm

As a massive Elmore Leonard fan I was so excited about this, I've read more than half of his books, I'd guess about two thirds of them including Pronto & Riding The Rap where Raylan is a major character. I've also devoured every film adaptation I could get my hands on (which isn't that many) from 52 Pick Up, Mr Majestyk, Touch, TV movie of Pronto (which was so bad I turned it off) to Jackie Brown and my favourite Out Of Sight. Still haven't managed to get hold of the Maximum Bob mini series.

So I'm not an expert but I know what I'm talking about.

Justified is without a doubt the most faithful Leonard adaptation I've ever seen and that's going just by the pilot. Raylan is the first completely fully realised walkin', talkin', shootin' Leonard character, you can tell he's got all this history and can tell exactly how everything is going to play out, he lives by his code and doesn't mess about. Olyphant is perfect casting, he delivers the dialogue with the same rhythm I imagined in my head reading the books.

The rest of the show is filled to the brim with typical Leonard characters acting and spouting dialogue like the man wrote it himself.

PERFECT!
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Bloo on Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:20 pm

JL do you think it might have anything to do with the fact that Leonard is producing this?

I missed the first episode, lots of drama at work that night and I missed it and LOST, need to catch it on hulu or FX's channel.

Man I loved the Maximum Bob miniseries
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby John-Locke on Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:29 pm

I think it's just made by people who generally understand the rhythm and beats of Leonard's books and love the material. I don't know, thats a hard question to answer without knowing how much involvement Leonard actually had.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Jabbadonut on Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:19 am

***Spoiler Alert***I was underwhelmed by the first show. It just didn't seem to have any kind of real point to it. And there seemed to be a very strange interpretation of our legal system, too. I mean the woman, Ava, confessed to shooting and killing her husband, yet she was out of jail on her own recognizance? And she still had the murder weapon in her house (assumption gun was same based on her threatening Boyd with a rifle when Raylan shot him)? I don't know enough about the laws in Kentucky (or anywhere, for that matter!) to be sure it is totally nuts to allow a self confessed murderer to roam free with weapons, but it does seem bizarre to me, and that detracted from taking the story seriously. I'll keep watching, though, to see if it gets any better.
Jabbadonut
REAL DRAGON

Postby Hermanator X on Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:51 am

The gun she threatened boyd with was the one Boyd made Raylan put down when he entered the house. Having her on release did seem a little strange, but in the small town environment you can imagine the law knew just why she did what she did, and knew her well enough to let her go as she is not a danger to anyone else. Or something. Thats what was implied to me while watching the show.

I gotta agree with JL that it really did seem to be filled with the spirit of EL. Olyphant was a lot more charismatic than I thought he would be. As much as I love deadwood, and his character, his intense brooding got a little much for me at times, but it seems I can relax as Raylan is no Bullock.

The skinhead woodcutting scene had me in stitches. Explaining just how dumb these people are in approx 10 seconds of screentime. Genius.

Definately gonna keep tuning in for this one, as it seems a fairly worthy way of spending an hour each week.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:57 pm

Forgot to mention how much I enjoyed seeing William Ragsdale, TV's Herman, show up at the end.

Also, dibs on Natalie Zea.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:13 pm

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:Forgot to mention how much I enjoyed seeing William Ragsdale, TV's Herman, show up at the end.

I completely missed Charley Brewster from Fright Night on there!!!
Who was he?
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:36 pm

Fievel wrote:
Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:Forgot to mention how much I enjoyed seeing William Ragsdale, TV's Herman, show up at the end.

I completely missed Charley Brewster from Fright Night on there!!!
Who was he?

He was the ex-wife's new husband, the guy walking around at the end complaining about a draft.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:21 pm

I knew I recognised that guy but didn't give it a second thought at the time.

You're so cool Brewster
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby TonyWilson on Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:28 pm

Excellent pilot, Olyphant was his usual badass self and it was good to see Walton Goggins again, I hope he survives the gunshot and is the villain for the season/series. Agreed about the woodcutting scene, hilarious, those dumb motherfuckers.
Also, who should play Olyphants dad? I'm thinking.... Bruce Dern, you know, just to keep the badass going.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Bloo on Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:39 pm

TonyWilson wrote:Excellent pilot, Olyphant was his usual badass self and it was good to see Walton Goggins again, I hope he survives the gunshot and is the villain for the season/series. Agreed about the woodcutting scene, hilarious, those dumb motherfuckers.
Also, who should play Olyphants dad? I'm thinking.... Bruce Dern, you know, just to keep the badass going.

Can Bruce Dern play Bill Paxtons dad and Timothy Olyphant's? Can TV handle that much Bruce Dern without imploding on itself

I don't know what he would cost but after watching 3:10 To Yuma for the first time in years earlier this month, how bdass would Peter Fonda be as Olyphant's pa
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby TonyWilson on Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:39 pm

Peter Fonda would be a ridiculously cool choice but he probably does cost too much. :(
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby John-Locke on Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:29 pm

I'm thinking Fred Ward would be perfect as Raylans Pops
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Bloo on Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:26 pm

TonyWilson wrote:Peter Fonda would be a ridiculously cool choice but he probably does cost too much. :(

he probably does but look at the actors F/X has gotten for Damages, actors I didn't think would do TV or figured would be too expensive
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby John-Locke on Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:30 pm

He'd be way too old, Raylans Grandpappy maybe
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Bloo on Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:33 pm

John-Locke wrote:He'd be way too old, Raylans Grandpappy maybe

Fonda was born in 1940, Olyphant in 1968...perfect age range right there
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby John-Locke on Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:45 pm

I stand corrected... I still think Fonda looks too old, he looks like he's pushing 80
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Maui on Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:59 am

Fievel wrote:I hope the rest of the season maintains everything that worked in that first episode..... although reviews have said the next two episodes aren't as good.
Hoping for the best....

I would have to agree that last night's episode wasn't as strong as the pilot, however still an amusing hour. Olyphant is just aces in this.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Bloo on Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:25 pm

I thought episode 2 was quite strong, not as strong as the pilot but still a strong solid outing.

Since Raylan shares the same "Elmore-verse" as Karen Sisco, Maximum Bob, Jackie Brown, etc (I believe we had this discussion in the What Are You Reading thread) who cool would it be for Carla Guigno to reprise her Karen Sisco role or Micheal Keaton his?
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby John-Locke on Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:12 pm

Episode 2 wasn't as good as the first, IMO it was a hell of a lot better.

This show isn't about the story, it's about the characters, it's about underlying darkness, it's about dry humour. This episode exhibited even more of the tone, rhythm and feel of a Leonard book, that opening scene with Goggins in the Infirmary was cold, I totally bought his portrayal, I could say this about every single character in this episode but it really was once again something straight out of a Leonard book yet without actually stealing or copying anything obvious that comes to mind.

The relationship between Copper and his hot ex-wife was more of the above yet it exhibited the heart and fantastic comic rhythm of characters who feel comfortable around each other, it reminded me of the Husband and Wife interplay in Killshot (only totally different at the same time because in Killshot they sorta hated each other too) that the film got so so so very very wrong :P

This is quickly becoming a strong candidate for my favourite (not best) TV show ever (obviously as a passionate Leonard fan this appeals directly to me). Damn, I just watch this show with the biggest shit eating grin on my face that only leaves temporarily when there is that underlying darkness and violence in places.

RAYLAN GIVENS FTMFW!
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Bloo on Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:18 pm

agreed with everything you just said right now the only thing that would make me happier is seeing Karen Sisco or Maximum Bob or Micheal Keaton show up
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby John-Locke on Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:31 pm

I doubt all the episodes will be like this one but I get the feeling most of them will, that is Raylan will just be a tool to bring down (or bring to Justice) the characters of the week, who may or may not show up again in future episodes. Thats how he's been used in the two books I've read (Pronto & Riding the Rap which was a saying Raylan even used in this episode). Hopefully they will have arcs which spread over numerous episodes but even as self contained mini stories like the majority of this week I'll be more than happy.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby papalazeru on Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:16 pm

In the TV world, there has been quite a few of these 'Man come home' types of shows. When I say a few, I mean a shit load.

I saw the first ep of this, I quite enjoyed it even though I'm not the biggest Olyphant fan. I saw him in Die Hard 4 (shit film and luckily so was he) and Hitman (actually he was watchable but a barely buoyant film).

Do you have to read the books to appreciate the series? The first ep left me a little apathetic about the whole event. I neither felt for what the characters were going through nor that it affected me in any part which could possibly be because it's a very different lifestyle and one that I'm not accustomed.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby John-Locke on Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:09 pm

I don't think the show is really too much about the Drama of someone returning to their home town, thats just a way to explain Raylans back story and give him characters to bounce off of that he has some history with. Raylan Givens is a semi-minor character in two books (Pronto and Riding the Rap) about a Miami Mob Bookmaker turned Federal Witness who goes on the run, they are serviceable examples of Leonards work at best (if memory serves correctly), as I said above he's just a tool, a cool character who lives by his own code who is deadly once he un-holsters his gun. You really don't need to have read the books to understand the show. If you've read your fair share of Leonards books it'll certainly add another level of appreciation but thats mainly because so many people have tried and failed to play in his sandbox (although some have come close), if you haven't it'll just take you a little longer to get the tone and aspirations of the show.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby papalazeru on Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:21 pm

John-Locke wrote:I don't think the show is really too much about the Drama of someone returning to their home town, thats just a way to explain Raylans back story and give him characters to bounce off of that he has some history with. Raylan Givens is a semi-minor character in two books (Pronto and Riding the Rap) about a Miami Mob Bookmaker turned Federal Witness who goes on the run, they are serviceable examples of Leonards work at best (if memory serves correctly), as I said above he's just a tool, a cool character who lives by his own code who is deadly once he un-holsters his gun. You really don't need to have read the books to understand the show. If you've read your fair share of Leonards books it'll certainly add another level of appreciation but thats mainly because so many people have tried and failed to play in his sandbox (although some have come close), if you haven't it'll just take you a little longer to get the tone and aspirations of the show.

Cheer mate. I'll continue on.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby travis-dane on Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:41 pm

Man, great show, FX is a good network. The Shield, Damages and SOA and now Justfied. And of course RESCUE ME.
Those guys know what they are doing.
-
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby Jabbadonut on Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:50 am

I thought the 2nd show was better than the first, and it had a really funny line (the crack about selling dildos). I have ep. 3 recorded but haven't watched it yet. I'll keep watching.
Jabbadonut
REAL DRAGON

Postby Bloo on Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:16 am

ep 3 was pretty good but not as good as 1 and 2. But still man this show is cracking I love it
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Next

Return to Coaxial