Boardwalk Empire

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Boardwalk Empire

Postby Fievel on Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:25 am

IMDB's synopsis: Chronicles the life and times of Nucky Thompson (Steve Buscemi), the undisputed ruler of Atlantic City, who was equal parts politician and gangster.

Trailer

HBO has had a vacuum in its original programming since The Sopranos ended. Before that we saw the end of two other fantastic shows Deadwood and Six Feet Under. Some might even throw Oz into the mix, although I think that show lost its way and never recovered. While there is still plenty to enjoy in HBO's original programming, there has been somewhat of a vacuum where these three shows once held the high ground. The Wire ended in 2008. Rome was amazing, but only for the two seasons we were treated - still hoping for the movie on that one! John From Cincinnati didn't make it past one season (a good thing?). Big Love is really good, but there are times when I wonder whether or not it's actually "great."
Just judging from the trailer (which really doesn't show much other than a touch of mood and atmosphere), and throwing in the name Scorsese for added weight, I think that Boardwalk Empire just may be the next "great" show on HBO to fill the vacuum of the previously mentioned juggernauts.

David Simon (The Wire) has a new show called Treme coming out as well, but that's a story for another thread.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Re: Boardwalk Empire (New HBO Series)

Postby Ribbons on Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:38 am

Sounds interesting. Although I like most of the stuff HBO produces, I'm really excited about some of the projects they have coming up (especially The Sunset Limited).
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fievel on Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:17 pm

Holy shit!
The new trailer is AWESOME!!!!

This has "Instant HBO Classic" written all over it!!!
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:40 pm

Fievel wrote:Holy shit!

Awesome Awesome trailer!

Looks like HBO has another winner? *crossing fingers*
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Ribbons on Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:42 pm

Fievel wrote:Holy shit!

Oh yeah!? Well, this one's even AWESOMER (plus it has Omar):

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fievel on Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:42 pm

Saw that one on HBO! This show looks awesome.
This should more than adequately fill the gangster void left by the Sopranos.

Now..... if I can just get my dream project started of Steve Buscemi and John Waters playing brothers that own a hot dog cart and continue to mourn the loss of their childhood pet.
Okay, not much of a "dream."
More of a twisted nightmare, I suppose.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fievel on Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:33 am

Just a few weeks to go before this show starts. Saw a new commercial on during the Emmys and then another on HBO itself. Both did nothing to squash my hopes for this show.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Ribbons on Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:03 am

Yeah. I feel like I should be sick of the gangster movies/TV shows, but this just looks way too good not to watch.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby John-Locke on Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:30 pm

Interview: 'Boardwalk Empire' creator Terence Winter

This show is going to be full of PURE WIN!

Is it the 19th yet?
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:31 pm

NJ man knows secrets of genuine 'Boardwalk Empire'
By WAYNE PARRY, Associated Press Writer – Fri Sep 17, 7:07 am ET

ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. – While Enoch "Nucky" Johnson was running things in Prohibition-era Atlantic City — including booze, hookers and gambling dens — a teenager named Ed Devlin was getting a taste of Johnson's real-life "Boardwalk Empire" from the periphery.

Johnson, who will be played by Steve Buscemi in the HBO series that begins Sunday, was the unquestioned boss of the resort, and Devlin won enough of his trust to run some small-time numbers. He also heard the most powerful man in Atlantic City talk about his plans to control the resort, its police force and the state police.

Before he finished high school, Devlin had already learned how to take bets from people and deliver money — on time — to the bookies, how much northside hookers charged for an encounter and, most of all, the one rule in Atlantic City: never cross Nucky.

"In my world, he was a god," said Devlin, now 89 years old. "Atlantic City was my kingdom, and he was the king."

His high school yearbook lists his name as Edward "Nucky" Devlin — a nickname he earned because everyone knew Devlin had the ear of the biggest man in town.

For 30 years, until he was finally sent to prison for tax evasion, Johnson dominated Atlantic City — then one of the nation's leading resorts. He controlled not only the Republican political machine that had a stranglehold on government, but also made sure it was what Devlin called "a wide-open town, with gambling, prostitution and booze right out in the open."

Johnson did this by controlling not only the local police department, but by currying enough favor with state authorities so that when the state police had to conduct an obligatory raid from time to time, Nucky would get advance warning. The liquor and gambling equipment were hustled into boats that sped offshore. Hookers were either moved or told to lay low.

It was in this world that Devlin came of age. His father was a local eye doctor who knew most people in town, including Johnson. He introduced his son to the boss, who took a liking to the boy and unfailingly referred to him as "kid."

"Hiya doing, kid? How's things, kid?" Johnson would say every time they met, which Devlin estimated was every other day for at least 10 years.

One night in 1926 when Devlin and his father were waiting for a boxing match to start at the Million Dollar Pier, they saw Johnson stroll in with Harry Moore, the leading candidate for governor of New Jersey.

"I turned to my dad and said, `What's Nucky doing with Harry Moore?'" Devlin recalled. A few days later, Devlin recalled, he asked Johnson, "I saw you at the fights. You were with Harry Moore. He's a Democrat; you're a Republican."

"He says, `Kid, I want to talk to you,'" Devlin said. "So we went into his private office, first door on the left, and he says, `This is a small county. It doesn't have enough votes to control anything. We have to control the Statehouse in order to control the state police. That way they won't come in and raid a place.'"

Like most other Atlantic City residents, young Devlin fell under Johnson's sway, admiring his power, charm and the way he took care of poor or out-of-work families. A household having trouble keeping warm would suddenly find their coal bin filled. A jobless father would be hired for a week or two cleaning up the beach or sweeping streets. Gifts of clothing or food were common — and there was no doubting where they came from.

"He took care of people," said Allen "Boo" Pergament, an Atlantic City history buff who was 12 when he met Johnson. "He could have been a thug and demanded things, and people would have responded out of fear. But he was loved and respected because of the way he took care of people. It bought their loyalty."

Pinky Kravitz, an Atlantic City radio host, also knew Johnson, and confirmed that Devlin and the boss were pals. The 83-year-old Kravitz recalled watching Johnson at a community meeting in an African-American neighborhood, where he dispensed largesse.

"He said, `Mrs. Johnson, you need coal? You're going to have a ton of coal tomorrow. Mr. Smith, you need a job?'" Kravitz recalled. "He went around the room calling out the names of people, asking what they needed."

Devlin ran numbers for local bookmakers, taking care to get the picks and the cash to the storefront boss on Kentucky Avenue by 12:15 p.m. — 12:30 at the absolute latest — before the winning number was announced at 1 p.m. The payoff: 500-to-1. His take as a street-level runner was 15 percent.

"One day, I made 12 dollars," he said. "At that time, the Works Progress Administration was paying $9 a week, $12 if you were politically connected. We had an apartment where the rent was $7 a month.

"I came home on cloud nine that day, a big shot," he recalled. "I had made $12 in a few hours by running numbers."

Devlin also lined up a messenger job with a brothel on North Michigan Avenue.

"If they wanted a blonde or a redhead, I would take the key to the house where they were," Devlin said. "I did very well."

One day, Devlin worked up enough courage to tell one of the hookers he was interested in her services.

"I don't have much money," he told her. "She said, `It's 25 cents.' Those were the days!"

Devlin had no qualms about what he was doing, because everyone else seemed to be doing it, too.

"I accepted that way of life," he said. "I had no chance to think that this was illegal or unconstitutional or against the law; it was part of the community I was raised with from the time I could walk and think."

Devlin went on to own two gift shops on the Atlantic City Boardwalk that remain to this day, with his wife taking care of day-to-day matters.

In Nucky's day, Devlin's uncle, "an ex-Marine who believed in doing things strictly by the book," was an Atlantic City police officer. One day when the two were out together, his uncle saw a car stop and make a U-turn in the middle of the street. Ticket book in hand, he flagged down the offending vehicle, and told the driver he had broken the law.

"You know who I am?" the driver said.

"Yes, Nucky," his uncle said.

Devlin went pale watching his uncle write a ticket to the most powerful man in town.

"Ten days later, I saw my uncle again," Devlin said. "He was no longer a police officer. He had been relieved of his office. My relatives were all mad at him. They said, `What were you thinking, giving a ticket to Nucky Johnson?'"
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:21 am

Awesome article there... kind of good to get that picture painted of what kind of character Nucky is as the series is starting.

So the pilot aired tonight..... :shock: In a word - awesome. The series looks really good. Some good characters and stories happening here.
In the 2 or 3 minutes he was on screen, Dabney Coleman owned his scene. I can't wait to see more of him!!
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:47 am

Fievel wrote:Awesome article there... kind of good to get that picture painted of what kind of character Nucky is as the series is starting.

So the pilot aired tonight..... :shock: In a word - awesome. The series looks really good. Some good characters and stories happening here.
In the 2 or 3 minutes he was on screen, Dabney Coleman owned his scene. I can't wait to see more of him!!

I really loved this as well.

Is Jimmy with the feds?!?! or just gave them the distillery because he hated the guy that ran it.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Fievel on Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:25 am

stereosforgeeks wrote:Is Jimmy with the feds?!?! or just gave them the distillery because he hated the guy that ran it.

Yeah, I don't think he's with the Feds. I think you described it perfectly there. I really liked the conversation between Jimmy and Nucky on the boardwalk near the end of the episode where Jimmy told Nucky that he couldn't be just half a gangster (or something to that effect). It was kind of a cheesy Hollywood line, but I think it was a great line for a pilot episode.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby so sorry on Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:39 pm

I fell asleep after about the first 15 minutes... :oops:

But I don't actually have HBO (it was a free preview weekend) so I'm not overly upset. My sleepiness was definitely not totally caused by the show, but at the same time something that had me really interested would have kept me up!

Have fun with this one Zoners, I'm out!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Fievel on Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:25 pm

so sorry wrote:I fell asleep after about the first 15 minutes... :oops:

But I don't actually have HBO (it was a free preview weekend) so I'm not overly upset. My sleepiness was definitely not totally caused by the show, but at the same time something that had me really interested would have kept me up!

Have fun with this one Zoners, I'm out!

While I will admit that it did start off slowly, it did so while introducing the main characters so I didn't mind. And then when the rest of the show (which was flashback) caught up to the beginning it was quite riveting.
You also missed some of the greatest gunshots (Jimmy in the woods and the Restaurateur in Chicago) to the head in a while.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:08 am

is it me, or does everyone sound like they're calling him "Nookie" instead of Nucky. shouldn't his name rhyme with "ducky", not "cookie"

as a result, i ended up with this song stuck in my head all night:

i did it all for the Nucky
for the Nucky
so you can take that ducky
and stick it up your *yeah*
stick it up your *yeah*
stick it up your *yeah*
stick it up your *yeah*

:oops:

so, started off a bit slow, but promising. scorsese and gangsters can do no wrong, so it should only get better as it goes along.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fievel on Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:15 pm

TheBaxter wrote:is it me, or does everyone sound like they're calling him "Nookie" instead of Nucky. shouldn't his name rhyme with "ducky", not "cookie"

Was in a conversation about the show last night and we all agreed that we wished it wasn't a real character so they could have changed the name. Having Nucky and Lucky in the same room was confusing.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby so sorry on Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:59 pm

so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby RaulMonkey on Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:39 pm

Fievel wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:is it me, or does everyone sound like they're calling him "Nookie" instead of Nucky. shouldn't his name rhyme with "ducky", not "cookie"

Was in a conversation about the show last night and we all agreed that we wished it wasn't a real character so they could have changed the name. Having Nucky and Lucky in the same room was confusing.

It kinda gives it a ring of authenticity. Reminds me of Corporal Ray Person from "Generation Kill." They wouldn't have had the balls to name a character PERSON unless he was based on a real guy.

Fun fact that I noticed: the song the restaurateur plays on the gramophone is from the opening act of Pietro Mascagni's "Cavalleria Rusticana." The main theme from "Raging Bull" was the "Intermezzo" music from the same opera.

CR is also the show Anthony Corleone has his big debut in in "The Godfather Part III." I noticed during that sequence that nobody had taken their seats while the Prelude music was playing. "Intermezzo" means "Intermission," so I wonder if theatregoers bugger off to powder their noses and take a leak while that music plays. Is it possible that the best known piece from the show was originally written as filler? Gaffney?
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:56 pm

RaulMonkey wrote:
Fievel wrote:

It kinda gives it a ring of authenticity. Reminds me of Corporal Ray Person from "Generation Kill." They wouldn't have had the balls to name a character PERSON unless he was based on a real guy.

Fun fact that I noticed: the song the restaurateur plays on the gramophone is from the opening act of Pietro Mascagni's "Cavalleria Rusticana." The main theme from "Raging Bull" was the "Intermezzo" music from the same opera.

CR is also the show Anthony Corleone has his big debut in in "The Godfather Part III." I noticed during that sequence that nobody had taken their seats while the Prelude music was playing. "Intermezzo" means "Intermission," so I wonder if theatregoers bugger off to powder their noses and take a leak while that music plays. Is it possible that the best known piece from the show was originally written as filler? Gaffney?

They arent sticking to a historically accurate portrayal of Nucky. They are changing things so they can show things that were happening at the time but not necessarily with or to the characters.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby RaulMonkey on Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:14 pm

True. Buscemi plays "Nucky" Thompson, not the real-life "Nucky" Johnson. So mentioning the show in the same breath as the ultra-realistic "Generation Kill" can be misleading. Perhaps "Deadwood" provides a better comparison.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby Fievel on Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:21 pm

RaulMonkey wrote:True. Buscemi plays "Nucky" Thompson, not the real-life "Nucky" Johnson. So mentioning the show in the same breath as the ultra-realistic "Generation Kill" can be misleading.

Yeah, I doubt the most narcissistic character in Boardwalk Empire will play himself like Rudy Reyes did in GK.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby ONeillSG1 on Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:57 pm

Interesting episode this week.

Nucky finally hit up the widow.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby Fievel on Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:18 pm

I knew that hooker was going to kill herself.
I just assumed she'd gulp the entire opium bottle.

100% still loving this show. Solid characters, solid cast.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:13 pm

Paz De La Huerta's Lucy is the most annoying character on the show. She has a nice body but damn something is weird with her face.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Fievel on Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:30 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:Paz De La Huerta's Lucy is the most annoying character on the show. She has a nice body but damn something is weird with her face.

Absolutely annoying. Had to love how in the previous episode Nucky practically had a boner over Margret's intellect, how she could hold a real conversation.... and then he goes right back to the over-the-top bimbo Lucy.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby DaleTremont on Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:31 pm

Paz de La Huerta is hysterical! She's my favorite floozy.

I hate to say it, but the more I watch this show, the more I can't help but think Steve Buscemi is woefully miscast.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby swoop91 on Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:26 pm

why?
swoop91
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Fievel on Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:37 pm

DaleTremont wrote:I hate to say it, but the more I watch this show, the more I can't help but think Steve Buscemi is woefully miscast.

I respectfully disagree. I think your opinion, while your own, is woefully wrong.

I disrespectfully disagree. You're a dummy poopoo head!

Seriously, I think Buscemi is perfect in the role. It's great to see him heading a cast for once and not playing the annoying cohort that ends up getting killed (usually because he's so annoying).
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:40 pm

DaleTremont wrote:Paz de La Huerta is hysterical! She's my favorite floozy.

She did have a great scene with Kelly McDonald last night in the store.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby swoop91 on Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:58 pm

I'd love to get a bit more "juice" between all and that retard with a stupid hair in Chicago, see what does that weirdo do in New York, and
how it affects Mr. Thompson in Atlantic City.

Its just fucking boring to see tear in whore's eyes all the fucking time. Boo fucking ho mister Schroder and that whore in his place.
and whats with all the tits? is this god's way to tell us, gtfo from True blood?
swoop91
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Fievel on Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:46 am

swoop91 wrote:I'd love to get a bit more "juice" between all and that retard with a stupid hair in Chicago, see what does that weirdo do in New York, and
how it affects Mr. Thompson in Atlantic City.

Its just fucking boring to see tear in whore's eyes all the fucking time. Boo fucking ho mister Schroder and that whore in his place.
and whats with all the tits? is this god's way to tell us, gtfo from True blood?

Huh?
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby DaleTremont on Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:25 pm

Fievel wrote:
DaleTremont wrote:I hate to say it, but the more I watch this show, the more I can't help but think Steve Buscemi is woefully miscast.

I respectfully disagree. I think your opinion, while your own, is woefully wrong.

I disrespectfully disagree. You're a dummy poopoo head!

Seriously, I think Buscemi is perfect in the role. It's great to see him heading a cast for once and not playing the annoying cohort that ends up getting killed (usually because he's so annoying).

You're out of your fucking element, Fievel! Respectfully.

I really thought Steve Buscemi would be amazing precisely because he's always been a scene-stealer in movies. But I just find him bland in this.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby Fievel on Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:12 pm

I had a moment a couple of episodes ago where I thought Buscemi and the actor playing the brother should have switched roles. Even now, if that had been done from day one, it would make sense. Buscemi's not physically menacing (like the brother is)... he doesn't exude Punky Power like someone would expect for that role... and he's DEFINITELY not someone that has "Lady's Man" tattooed on his forehead. But where he's excelling for me, and it's a really slow burn, is that he does accurately display the intelligence that someone who has risen to his place should have. He's the brain and the brother is the brawn. Now that aspect could easily be shot to hell if every plan and scheme he has working fails, but that's not going to happen.

And what the hell is going on with Mr. Fed Agent!?!? In one scene he went from Mr. Creeper to WTF!?!?! in 12 seconds flat!!
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:56 am

Fievel wrote:I had a moment a couple of episodes ago where I thought Buscemi and the actor playing the brother should have switched roles. Even now, if that had been done from day one, it would make sense. Buscemi's not physically menacing (like the brother is)... he doesn't exude Punky Power like someone would expect for that role... and he's DEFINITELY not someone that has "Lady's Man" tattooed on his forehead. But where he's excelling for me, and it's a really slow burn, is that he does accurately display the intelligence that someone who has risen to his place should have. He's the brain and the brother is the brawn. Now that aspect could easily be shot to hell if every plan and scheme he has working fails, but that's not going to happen.

And what the hell is going on with Mr. Fed Agent!?!? In one scene he went from Mr. Creeper to WTF!?!?! in 12 seconds flat!!

He really whipped himself in that scene.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby DaleTremont on Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:31 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
Fievel wrote:I had a moment a couple of episodes ago where I thought Buscemi and the actor playing the brother should have switched roles. Even now, if that had been done from day one, it would make sense. Buscemi's not physically menacing (like the brother is)... he doesn't exude Punky Power like someone would expect for that role... and he's DEFINITELY not someone that has "Lady's Man" tattooed on his forehead. But where he's excelling for me, and it's a really slow burn, is that he does accurately display the intelligence that someone who has risen to his place should have. He's the brain and the brother is the brawn. Now that aspect could easily be shot to hell if every plan and scheme he has working fails, but that's not going to happen.

He really whipped himself in that scene.

The whipping wasn't as bad as I was expecting...mostly because it was a relief when I realized he wasn't about to masturbate.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby Fievel on Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:34 pm

DaleTremont wrote:The whipping wasn't as bad as I was expecting...mostly because it was a relief when I realized he wasn't about to masturbate.

:lol:
Agreed.
I was assuming that was what he was about to do. When he grabbed the belt I thought he was going to choke himself while spanking it.
How sad when self flagellation ends up being the less offensive option.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:29 pm

Fievel wrote:
DaleTremont wrote:The whipping wasn't as bad as I was expecting...mostly because it was a relief when I realized he wasn't about to masturbate.

:lol:
Agreed.
I was assuming that was what he was about to do. When he grabbed the belt I thought he was going to choke himself while spanking it.
How sad when self flagellation ends up being the less offensive option.

I thought the same thing! What does that say about us I wonder
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:50 pm

wait... there's a difference?

i must be doing it wrong... :oops:
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby DaleTremont on Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:20 am

Puritans are always the biggest pervs. I include myself in that category.

See, that's really brilliant though. And now that you say it, you're completely right. His brother would be a better Nucky Thompson. I see what you mean about Buscemi being the crafty one who flies under the radar but sees all the pieces coming into play, etc, etc...and yet that doesn't change the fact for me that he's just not that interesting to watch. And after all this is the roaring 20s. You have all these big characters around and they're all supposed to be in the gravitational pull of Nucky, so it would be nice to actually understand this sway he holds over everyone on more than an intellectual level. In theory, sure I get that he's this commissioner and he's a really smart guy and he holds all the cards, but I don't want to just 'understand in theory' I want to be seduced by him too, damn it! He should be a charismatic, dangerous motherfucker that you root for in spite of yourself. Buscemi is great in general, but there's not much about him that says danger. And it's not just because he looks like that bat from the cartoon version of Anastasia, he just doesn't have the right stuff for this role.

But it's okay. I still like the show and I don't hate ol' big eyes I just think he would have been better utilized in something else.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby Nice Marmot on Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:01 pm

OK, in the last episode when Jimmy's baby-mama was in the sack w/ the photographer's wife. She said something about Nucky that made me think I had missed something earlier in the season. As if he would care that she's a lesbian. Is Nuck still providing for Jimmy's family or something? Also, will it be this season or sometime later on when they reveal that Nucky is Jimmy's pop. I'd bet money on it.
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:30 pm

Nice Marmot wrote:OK, in the last episode when Jimmy's baby-mama was in the sack w/ the photographer's wife. She said something about Nucky that made me think I had missed something earlier in the season. As if he would care that she's a lesbian. Is Nuck still providing for Jimmy's family or something? Also, will it be this season or sometime later on when they reveal that Nucky is Jimmy's pop. I'd bet money on it.

It could be the Commodore (speculation not spoiler).
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Nice Marmot on Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:28 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
Nice Marmot wrote:OK, in the last episode when Jimmy's baby-mama was in the sack w/ the photographer's wife. She said something about Nucky that made me think I had missed something earlier in the season. As if he would care that she's a lesbian. Is Nuck still providing for Jimmy's family or something? Also, will it be this season or sometime later on when they reveal that Nucky is Jimmy's pop. I'd bet money on it.

It could be the Commodore (speculation not spoiler).

Look at the brains on stereosforgeeks!!!
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON

Postby Fievel on Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:25 am

Awesome finale.
Amazed that the congregation didn't turn Agent Nelson in, but I'm glad he's getting nailed with being a baby-daddy (even though he's going to take it as his Sign From God). Other than that, I loved it all. Although, I'm not a fan of Eli plotting against Nucky. I'm wondering what the new ex-sheriff is going to do now. He's got to be just a little disgruntled as well. I thought Margret's re-association with Nucky was done well. And I also like her acceptance of everything.

Buscemi's monologue about his wife and child was really, really good. I also thought Dabney Coleman was excellent as well - he's obviously going to have a stronger (literally) part next season.

Loved the very ending, though - watching the bits of all the central characters. The panning around the entire boardwalk as we hear the guy finish singing ("...and thank you Nucky Thompson!") was the best. I can't wait to see what Season two brings.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Ribbons on Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:41 pm

Well, now that the season is over and nobody feels like talking about the show anymore, it's time for me to start watching it. Hooray for procrastination!

The first two episodes are, without exaggeration, the best TV I've seen in a long, long time. I love the detail, I love all the characters, and as Fievel said earlier, two great (b0m) headshots in the pilot. Scorsese brings his signature flair for music to the first episode, with a bunch of old and slightly less old songs to help illustrate the bloody changing of the guard. And the capper on the second episode, where the "fifth man" finally shows up, was both horrifying and hilarious.

The cast all seems pretty good so far, but I'm really digging the casting of Stephen Graham as Al Capone. And I'm glad to see Michael Williams, although he's only been in the show for like five seconds so far.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Ribbons on Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:39 pm

DaleTremont wrote:His brother would be a better Nucky Thompson. I see what you mean about Buscemi being the crafty one who flies under the radar but sees all the pieces coming into play, etc, etc...and yet that doesn't change the fact for me that he's just not that interesting to watch. And after all this is the roaring 20s. You have all these big characters around and they're all supposed to be in the gravitational pull of Nucky, so it would be nice to actually understand this sway he holds over everyone on more than an intellectual level. In theory, sure I get that he's this commissioner and he's a really smart guy and he holds all the cards, but I don't want to just 'understand in theory' I want to be seduced by him too, damn it! He should be a charismatic, dangerous motherfucker that you root for in spite of yourself. Buscemi is great in general, but there's not much about him that says danger. And it's not just because he looks like that bat from the cartoon version of Anastasia, he just doesn't have the right stuff for this role.

But it's okay. I still like the show and I don't hate ol' big eyes I just think he would have been better utilized in something else.

It's weird, because before I started watching Boardwalk Empire I could totally picture myself feeling the same way and sort of dreaded it being true, but I don't agree with this at all. In fact over time I'd say that Steve Buscemi and Michael Shannon are the most consistently compelling actors on the show. It might have something to do with the fact that I'm watching them all in one go rather than weekly. I can see how Nucky's placating politico would leave less of an impact if you only saw a little at a time than someone "louder" like Jimmy or Al Capone, but I think the performance and the character are great. Since I've been looking for it I will say there ARE moments where he seems a little too reined-in emotionally, or not as forceful as I feel like he should be -- like right after his brother gets shot and he tells Jimmy to never keep him waiting again. But I can totally buy him as the ringleader in Atlantic City precisely because he's a smooth-talker and not all blustering machismo like the sheriff. The scene that encapsulates his specific brand of influence for me is the one where, with a little speech-making, a little sleight-of-hand, and a lot of money, he convinces the concierge at the Republican Convention to give him the presidential candidate's suite.

The other thing to keep in mind is that Nucky is more of a reluctant gangster than most of the other characters he deals with... which isn't to say he's any better than them, exactly, but he wants to be more of a politician, to the extent that he doesn't even like talking about some of his more "unsavory" business endeavors. So he's not going to have the same level of charisma when it comes to getting his hands dirty because he's uncomfortable with the whole process.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fievel on Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:34 pm

Ribbons wrote: Since I've been looking for it I will say there ARE moments where he seems a little too reined-in emotionally, or not as forceful as I feel like he should be --

I believe there is a payoff for this in a discussion he has with Margaret in the final episode. I think it's Buscemi's best moment of the season.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Ribbons on Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:02 am

You're right, Buscemi was great there (I just caught up with it now). A lot of plotlines felt like they were on a collision course as the season went on, but I liked how everything sort of slowed down and shifted gears in the last episode. There were some nice talky moments in there. Not to say the "speech/gangland assassination squad" scene wasn't cool as well. Although, as with the massacre juxtaposed with Eddie Cantor's schtick in the pilot, it seemed a little TOO reminiscent of The Godfather. I guess part of that comes with the territory. And that final shot of the boardwalk was hecka bomb; I can't tell how much of it is a real set and how much of it (if any) is CGI, but it's pretty impressive nonetheless. Anyway, the bottom line is I love this show. It'll be interesting to see what that meeting between Eli, Jimmy and the Commodore means for Nucky in season 2. And you should all watch it! Especially you Fievel.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby travis-dane on Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:52 am

Ribbons wrote:the bottom line is I love this show. It'll be interesting to see what that meeting between Eli, Jimmy and the Commodore means for Nucky in season 2. And you should all watch it! Especially you Fievel.

Yes, this is by far the best new show this year.
I hope that Jimmy comes to grips with himself and sees that Nuck is his real "father", not the Commodore.
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby Ribbons on Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:00 pm

Yeah, it seems to me like both Jimmy and Eli should be angrier at the Commodore than Nucky (although Eli probably doesn't know it was the Commodore who told Nucky to fire him). Then again, maybe he's just a means to an end.

The other thing I like about this show is how it manages to portray the shifting social moors of the Roaring Twenties as something radical and scary, even though it seems hilariously antiquated looking back on it. I assume none of the writing staff was alive at the time, so it's got to take a lot of research to nail that perspective.

I feel like when all is said and done this series will make an interesting bookend with The Sopranos, since one is about the birth and benefits of organized crime in the United States, and the other is about that world sort of falling apart.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Next

Return to Coaxial