Luther - Stringer Bells new cop series

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Luther - Stringer Bells new cop series

Postby inanegeek on Wed May 05, 2010 6:19 pm

I like Idris Elba.....borders on a man crush. He was one of many reasons The Wire was so bloody good.

As previously ranted about I hate British TV. It's crap. So when i saw Mr Elba was to star in a BBC cop dram called Luther I was scared. I would want to watch it out of my man crush.....but it would be British and therefore monkey nuts.

As Stringer Bell in the Wire Elba cooled his way through scene after scene just being so damn cool. He gave an air of art and sophistication with brains to drug dealing. As far as characters go he is a modern masterpiece. So how would he translate to British TV.

The first thing to know is that Elba is a Londoner...so when Luther first starts hearing him speak with an English accent is a bit throwing. Luther should be his triumphant homecoming....is it?

Luther is a strange man. A cop with a guilty conscience. The plot appears to be that from the start we know who did it and so does Luther but he then has to prove it whilst dealing with what seems a realistic and difficult home life.

At first i was horrified...the camera directions were pretentious, it looked cheap and British but then i relaxed as Luther took me on a 60 minute ride that was in parts insane and in parts inspired. I didn't want it to end.

Elba struts the scenery with a cold coolness and enthusiasm for his job that borders on insane. But away from his job he is a passionate angry man who is anything but cool. To see a man like anyone else with more than one angle is common place in real life but in a British Cop TV drama very rare. Its a testament to Elba that he pulls it off. The rest of the cast pale in the background apart from the beautiful Indira Varmer and the very scary and at the same time sexy Ruth Wilson.

I had my faith restored in British TV. At last
inanegeek
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Random Coaxial

Postby Fried Gold on Tue May 25, 2010 4:59 pm

Luther is the best thing ont telly at the moment.

Tonight's episode was rather brills.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: Luther - Stringer Bells new cop series

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:11 pm

Seriously though, was no-one else watching Luther?

That ending was quality.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:20 pm

"Now what?"
Was a pretty cool show.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:14 pm

I'll have to give it a shot after i finish the sensationalistic Skins.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby geekgrrl on Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:22 pm

All I know is that when I was watching Luther this evening I didn’t feel as though I had been there, seen that. From the cool tones the show was shot in to the explosively crisp acting Luther is unlike any episode of Law & Order I have ever seen.

http://lostinreviews.com/2010/10/luther/
http://lostinreviews.com/ For those of us who live outside of normal
geekgrrl
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Ribbons on Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:47 am

stereosforgeeks wrote:I'll have to give it a shot after i finish the sensationalistic Skins.

Well, Luther is pretty sensationalistic in its own way. A lot of cliches about cops and cop shows are carried to the x-treme. But the writing is really sharp and Idris Elba is magnificent. Although you shouldn't have to compare every British detective to Sherlock Holmes, in a lot of ways he strikes me as the anti-Sherlock: insightful but crippled by emotion, constantly obsessed with the things you can't prove. I've only watched the first two episodes so far but I'm interested in seeing where it goes from here.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Ribbons on Sun May 22, 2011 1:58 pm

Okay, Luther just took a turn for the fucking creepy with the third episode (about the serial killer who exsanguinates and refrigerates his victims). The one plot point I thought was stupid was when Luther pretended to drop the book and the suspect REVEALED HE WAS LEFT-HANDED BY CATCHING IT!!! OMG BUSTEDS1!11one! Thankfully that didn't really go anywhere. I really like the acting work on this show. Characters that would normally be "types" in this genre (doofy new boyfriend, bureaucratic police chief, faithful sidekick) feel like real people. And I'm interested in seeing how this weird cat-and-mouse relationship between Luther and Ruth Wilson's character develops.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TonyWilson on Sun May 22, 2011 2:17 pm

Creepiest moment has to be when Paul Rhys wiggles his tongue at his victim and the look of delight on his face when she pees herself - yuuuuuuuuuuuuuck, that bit is horrible. I really like Luther despite it's sensationalism, well maybe because of it if you think of the show as being pure pulp rather than the usual british type of cop show which is either too self serious or whimsical. I also love the look of the series with London presented as a 21st Century city but with a sense of it's history too. Really interested to hear your thoughts on the finale when you get around to it, Ribs.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson

Postby Bloo on Sun May 22, 2011 2:46 pm

A friend of mine swears by this show so I told him I'd check it out, sounds like it deserves a look
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Ribbons on Sat May 28, 2011 10:57 pm

TonyWilson wrote:Creepiest moment has to be when Paul Rhys wiggles his tongue at his victim

Ha, yeah! I knew something wasn't right with that guy but I was definitely not expecting... THAT.

I know what you're saying about London as a backdrop and I really like the way they shoot the city on this show. They find some interesting places that you don't usually see on film.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TonyWilson on Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:27 pm

So season 2 started tonight, and I think it was really rather great, probably better than last year's episodes in fact. Hurry up and finish season 1 Ribs!
TonyWilson

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:31 pm

It was rather good, if slightly forseeable in certain parts.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:35 pm

Yeah, the final scene with the cop in the house and the cop in the car was obvious but still pretty nasty/scary The dialogue can be a bit on the nose or stilted but the plotting, direction and acting is really top notch. I love it's high end but pulpy feel.
TonyWilson

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:37 pm

TonyWilson wrote:Yeah, the final scene with the cop in the house and the cop in the car was obvious but still pretty nasty/scary The dialogue can be a bit on the nose or stilted but the plotting, direction and acting is really top notch. I love it's high end but pulpy feel.

Indeed. It wasn't to say it was predictable, more like the "Oh my god, he's behind you!!!" horror-movie kinda way.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:43 pm

True, FG. That sort of "I can see it coming oh shit oh shit" is sometimes much better than a totally out of nowhere shock.
TonyWilson

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:59 pm

TonyWilson wrote:Hurry up and finish season 1 Ribs!

Pssh, even if I did I would have to wait until the series 2 DVDs were available over here or on Netflix to start watching it anyway. Not for any sort of philosophical reason, I'm just too lazy to download torrents.

However I did watch episode 5 of the first season today and all I have to say is what the fuck just happened!? Also I don't know if any of you guys picked up on this, but they threw in a reference to "Detective Munch from special victims," which is the character Richard Belzer played on Homicide, Law & Order: SVU, and even an episode of The Wire. He is like the St. Elsewhere of random detective characters.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Bloo on Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:09 pm

Ribbons wrote:
TonyWilson wrote:Hurry up and finish season 1 Ribs!

Pssh, even if I did I would have to wait until the series 2 DVDs were available over here or on Netflix to start watching it anyway. Not for any sort of philosophical reason, I'm just too lazy to download torrents.

However I did watch episode 5 of the first season today and all I have to say is what the fuck just happened!? Also I don't know if any of you guys picked up on this, but they threw in a reference to "Detective Munch from special victims," which is the character Richard Belzer played on Homicide, Law & Order: SVU, and even an episode of The Wire. He is like the St. Elsewhere of random detective characters.

don't forget the X-Files and Sesame Street ;) And a bunch more
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:57 am

Ribbons wrote:Pssh, even if I did I would have to wait until the series 2 DVDs were available over here or on Netflix to start watching it anyway. Not for any sort of philosophical reason, I'm just too lazy to download torrents.

Torrents? Quit livin' in the past, man!
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:42 am

Meh to direct downloads though - they take way too long unless you pay for the service.
TonyWilson

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:59 am

TonyWilson wrote:Meh to direct downloads though - they take way too long unless you pay for the service.

Wupload links are free and pretty fast. And .mkv copies are small files.

You just need to know where to look.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:57 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
TonyWilson wrote:Meh to direct downloads though - they take way too long unless you pay for the service.

Wupload links are free and pretty fast. And .mkv copies are small files.

You just need to know where to look.

Still meh, it was hotfile that were fast last year, rapidshare before that, wupload'll slow up and then it's off to find others, plue there's far more fakes out there than with torrents. Sceper is a great site for the dd but it's never been faster than a popular torrent for me.
TonyWilson

Postby John-Locke on Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:43 pm

What are you talking about Tony, Torrents are well risky these days, Megaupload is where it's at, megarelease dot net is where to look for the links as long as you are quick (I am not saying you can find the latest episode of Luther on there mind you, not yet anyway)
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Fievel on Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:09 am

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
OH... MY.... GOD....
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

You bastards made me hunt this show down. Holy hotsnatch is this an amazing and intense show!!
Thank you The Zone for once again pointing me in the direction of some quality entertainment!
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Ribbons on Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:43 am

Yes. YEEEEEEEESSSS. I'm glad we could unite to help funnel some television-flavored goodness into your eyes.

I actually just finished watching season 1 last night. Quite an unusual, er... crimefighting(?) trio at the end. It was awesome, can't wait for season 2! Which I will watch in 3 years.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TonyWilson on Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:16 pm

Crappinghellballs, season 2 is shaping up to be stonkignly brilliantly mental. I really don't know what the show's closest relative would be, it's like Dexter x (L&O SVU - any pretense at verisimilitude) to the square root of Miami Vice
TonyWilson

Postby Fievel on Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:19 pm

The story arc with these twin killers - probably the most intense story on television I've ever seen (even if it was on my computer).
But holy shit... these guys rewrote the definition of "cold-blooded killer."
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fievel on Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:15 pm

I didn't realize, and am pissed to find, that Season Two is only four episodes long.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fievel on Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:55 pm

BBC One Orders 3rd Season Of Idris Elba’s “Luther”

This news came out in August, but I didn't see it until looking up the show on Wikipedia.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

What have you been watching? (DVD or Films on TV)

Postby Wolfpack on Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:16 am

I've been watching the crime series "Luther" on Netflix. Idris Alba > David Caruso.
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Re: What have you been watching? (DVD or Films on TV)

Postby The Vicar on Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:38 pm

Wolfpack wrote:I've been watching the crime series "Luther" on Netflix. Idris Alba > David Caruso.

Stack of Mouse Turds > David Caruso.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby minstrel on Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:04 pm

The Vicar wrote:
Wolfpack wrote:I've been watching the crime series "Luther" on Netflix. Idris Alba > David Caruso.

David Caruso's ego > David Caruso. By a lot.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Fievel on Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:33 pm

The Vicar wrote:

Thanks!...... I think?

I don't know if it's the actors, the writers, or the fact that it's not an American show (and held back by American networks), but Luther is just so fucking good.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fievel on Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:08 pm

Holy shit it's been a while......

Seinna Guillory Joins Series Three of Luther

The third series of "Luther" is a 4 x 60-minute series premiering on BBC One next year.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Wolfpack on Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:10 pm

Season 3? Let's all inexplicably trash an office in celebration!
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby Fievel on Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:10 pm

Just saw that Season 3 started airing last night!!!!
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Ribbons on Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:39 pm

Whooooooooa. I just assumed this show was over what with the Pacific Rims and the Lone Rangers and all. I can't wait to see more Law & Order U.K.: Everybody On This Show Is Fucking Crazy Unit
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fievel on Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:53 pm

A brief bit of digging shows that Luther's 3rd season will debut in America on September 3.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Wolfpack on Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:59 am

But I want it now!
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby Fievel on Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:04 pm

Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby travis-dane on Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:42 pm

I've seen it, it's good. I think after this season, it's over.
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:48 pm

This series is still great.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby travis-dane on Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:09 am

Holy Fuck!
Thats some intense stuff going down in the last two eps.

You american watchers have something to look forward to when this airs on BBC america.
-
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby papalazeru on Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:26 am

See, I've been a little disappointed by Luther.

As good as it is, there's a couple of things which are too BBC about the whole affair.

Firstly, the constant student like shallow depth of field shots which I find irritating because everyone who owns a 5D does it.

Secondly, the accents. Idris, with is mild cockney accent doesn't talk like that, neither does anyone in London under 60 anymore, and it shows when he's got to say certain lines and use terminology like he's one of the Pearly King and Queens, which makes me think that it's gearing towards an American audience.

I did Blitz the whole first and second season last week to play catch up, so it is good but it just nags in the back of the brain that it's following in the Sherlock Holmes formula (which I mistakenly thought was alright but is actually really good on rewatching). I must admit, it started badly with a 'down and out detective who struggles with senior management' etc. etc. but there were certain moments I wasn't expecting which really added nice twists to the show.

I'm just worried that the BBC are dishing out a formula rather than a show.

I still feel it could be more though.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Ribbons on Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:34 pm

Hey, if all it took for a show to succeed in America were plummy accents, then we'd be watching some crap about a wealthy family from the 1920s.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fievel on Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:44 pm

Ribbons wrote:Hey, if all it took for a show to succeed in America were plummy accents, then we'd be watching some crap about a wealthy family from the 1920s.

IDOWNTONABBEYLASH!

A 2fer..... for old times.....
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:21 pm

I was suprised they managed to secure the rights to Punisher for this episode.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:28 pm

Might A LUTHER Movie Be In Our Future?? Signs Point To...

It will follow his career in the earlier days, when he is still married to Zoe, and the final scene in the film is the first of the initial TV series.'

Yes. YES. And one more thing.... hmmm... oh yeah - YES!!

I can't believe how fulfilling this third series was - only 4 episodes but it felt like 10. That's kind of the thing about Luther - each episode was 60 minutes, yet felt like twice that (a good thing!).
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Ribbons on Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:45 pm

And might Ruth Wilson get her own prequel, ALICE RISING?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby travis-dane on Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:45 pm

Ribbons wrote:And might Ruth Wilson get her own prequel, ALICE RISING?

I hope so.
-
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Next

Return to Coaxial