Persons Unknown

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Persons Unknown

Postby DanielSan on Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:14 am

Didn't spot a topic for this new show....

I watched the first episode on DVR last night, and, even though it is an obvious place-holder for Lost fans searching for their new mystery, I didn't hate it. I'm intrigued by the mystery, and look forward to finding out more about the characters. It's way more interesting than FlashForward...

Anyone else see it?
DanielSan
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Re: Persons Unknown

Postby Fievel on Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:50 am

It's funny... I was in the other room when it started and was listening to it. I had no idea what it was and thought it was Law & Order and kept waiting for the familiar theme music or Law & Order "Dun-Dunnnn" noise that always happens. Then I went out and saw what show it was, rewound it, and watched the first 10 minutes. After 10 minutes I realized I really don't want to be hooked on another show right now so I flipped something else on. If it ends up being awesome, I can always go back and watch it. But for now I just can't commit to another show like that.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby DanielSan on Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:01 pm

Fievel wrote:I had no idea what it was and thought it was Law & Order and kept waiting for the familiar theme music or Law & Order "Dun-Dunnnn" noise that always happens.

The way that first episode began, I TOTALLY see how you would've thought it was L&O.
DanielSan
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby tfactor on Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:03 pm

We are watching this but I don't think I like it. The whole concept is a good idea but the depth of the characters and the whole damn concept is not exactly being executed as well as it could be. Naturally you want to compare this to a show like Lost, except there isn't really a supernatural aspect to this thing.

Plus honestly I can stand how everyone acts on this show. because I think if I were in this situation I would probably be a whole lot more hostel in trying to figure out what is going on.

Then the whole night shift guy, runs off (makng it seem like they may have been correct about their theory about tricking the microwave guns, but then the guy shows up again like nothing ever happened.

Then when they were driving and all of a sudden they see this bright light and boom, back in the town - I don't know that whole thing was just so goddamn vague that it did absolutely nothing to spark my interest. You got these people caged up against their will and not knowing why and the best you can do is have them eating chinese food and reading stupid fuckng fortunes? Come on, is the show even trying to be interesting

So then the girl gets a gun and instead of trying to use that weapon to her OR their advantage - she empties the whole thing shooting at a single camera?!? really? That is the level of ALF these people are

I just don't get why TV shows don't try to elaborate better on the characters they create, I mean seriously this group is stuck right and we've watched a couple episodes now and not one of their names stands out in my head. That says a whole lot about what level of depth these actors, writers and everyone are lacking.

This concept had great potential, but so far I don't think the execution has really been all that good.
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby Peven on Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:42 pm

i saw this the other day on Hulu and watched the first three episodes back to back to back....ok, so far, but just ok

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby geekgrrl on Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:06 pm

The mystery itself peaks my curiosity and as I watched the premiere I couldn’t help but to wonder why this all was happening? What is the point? Is there even a point to all of it or is it some guy’s idea of a sick joke? What can I say I am sucker for a mystery. Even a bad one and so far this is a pretty good mystery. The acting and writing on the other hand could use some tweaking. Sometimes it feels that the only reason there is a connection between the actors is that they happen to be on the same show.

http://lostinreviews.com/2010/06/persons-unknown/
http://lostinreviews.com/ For those of us who live outside of normal
geekgrrl
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Peven on Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:57 pm

after the first few episodes this show has gone from ok to total shit. how do people who write such total fucking crap get work? seriously, it is so bad it makes me want to see the people who write it get hit in the face with a large, solid object

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Big Jim on Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:29 pm

Here's my problem with the show. It was advertised as a Mini-Series (finite number of episodes with a definitive conclusion) and the promos stated "by the end of Summer all the answers will be known" or something like that. Not true. NBC in calling it a "mini-series" was using a very liberal definition of the word. It was the first 13 episodes of a show that was left open-ended in case it got picked up. I'm pissed by how it ended because I expected, from what I'd seen in the ads, that it would be a self-contained show and that all my questions would be answered. Sure, I can make a decent guess at what happened to everyone, and possibly even to what's going on, but I don't know why (other than the mysterious group wanted it to happen). What was the point of it? See, that's a question, a major one, that does not get answered.

Had they been honest from the beginning ("here's a show that concludes it's initial story arc while setting up the next chapter of which you will never see because we aren't renewing it") or simply not advertised it as a Mini-Series where all would be answered, I would have been fine with it. I thought it had a strong ending that was well done and quite intriguing. Too bad the show was misrepresented by NBC (not to mention the sudden timeslot change one day, the move to Saturday nights, and not airing the 3rd last episode). You know, one should not have to work that hard to watch a TV show, especially in Summer.

Think maybe I misinterpreted NBC's promos? Judge for yourself:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWajphSnFtU&feature=related
Big Jim
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Nice Marmot on Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:44 pm

Stephen King said he liked it in his EWeekly column. Also said that it was a mini-series. Might check it out on DVD someday.
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON

Postby Big Jim on Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:59 pm

Nice Marmot, I can't comment on what Stephen King said about it as I haven't read that, but calling it a "mini-series" would depend on his (and your) definition. After watching all 13 episodes it seems fairly obvious to me the writers intended the story to continue. NBC had little to no intention of picking it up for a second season (even before it aired) so everyone just started calling it a mini-series. What it really is is a 13 episode story arc. It's as much a mini-series as "Journeyman" was. Neither was created as a 13 part story; both were supposed to be ongoing series with several seasons to tell the whole story. Both ended with unanswered questions (the biggest one being "why").

I'm not being a dick, I just want you to know what you are getting into if you ever decide to watch it. Calling it a mini-series is a misnomer. NBC advertising that all would be revealed by the end was false. It was an entertaining show with a strong finale. Does that final episode explain why it was all happening, what the purpose was? No. However, if you go into it with the knowledge that it isn't a mini-series, that it is one more show that was simply cancelled after its initial order of episodes, you will find how it ends a lot less annoying and frustrating than I did. As I said, what we got with this show is a 13 episode story arc. That arc is concluded; however, enough is left open, and unanswered, that they could have continued it as a series (I assume if the ratings had been huge).

Perhaps the DVD will have commentaries or features that will give insight into where the show would have gone had it been picked up for a second season. And, hopefully, someone will explain what the deal was with Robert Picardo's "hair" (he appears briefly in the last episode and was wearing what looked like Jason Isaacs' Lucius Malfoy wig from the H. Potter movies).
Big Jim
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Return to Coaxial