RUBICON

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

RUBICON

Postby Maui on Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:50 pm

The interwebs are a-buzz with Rubicon news. AMC’s new drama is described as a conspiracy thriller. The show won’t debut until August, but AMC has aired a telling sneak preview foreshadowing the plot of the entire first season. They’ve also made the preview episode available online and that means you can watch it now.

Rubicon follows an analyst, portrayed by actor James Badge Dale (The Pacific, The Departed) who becomes part of a New York City Think Tank project full of mysterious twists and turns. Dale here sports fuzzy curls, a departure from his usual close cropped, almost military look. I suppose the new hairstyle is that of an intelligent mind. You know, like Einstein. Jessica Collins, Dallas Roberts, Miranda Richardson, Christopher Evan Welch, Arliss Howard, and Lauren Hodges are also in the cast. For me the show feels like a political version of CSI. I was also heavily reminded of Robert Redford’s film, Three Days of the Condor. Others have compared Rubicon to the West Wing.

Rubicon is defined in the Merriam-Webster online dictionary as a bounding or limiting line; especially one that when crossed commits a person irrevocably. Clever title, no? The show’s tagline is “Not every conspiracy is a theory.” We covered the show’s preview earlier this month in case you missed it. AMC is also the network of Breaking Bad, which is going to enjoy a 4th season. You can read about that on BSC. AMC is also the place for The Walking Dead, a series for which we have casting news. As for Rubicon, the show premieres August 1st
.

I've already watched the pilot episode (which is available online), it's rather impressive. Thx SFG for the rec!



Hey, it's Leckie from The Pacific.
Last edited by Maui on Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Maui
WoWie
 
Posts: 7609
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 10:19 pm

Re: AMCs RUBICON

Postby John-Locke on Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:22 pm

I watched about 30-35 minutes before falling asleep out of a mixture of extreme tiredness and pure boredom. From what I saw these guys are paid to analyse stuff (what exactly I don't know) in case there is some kind of national security threat or something? wha? Needed more explanation. The dialogue was way too complex and impenetrable to follow when they are talking shop and unless things took a dramatic turn in the last 10 minutes I had no idea why his boss was killed for telling his superior about the crossword thing which made no sense as it was, don't even get me started on the train crash stuff, do they not have drivers or was it going backwards when it crashed? OHHHH IT'S ALL SOME MASSIVE CONSPIRACY!!!!111???

I'm going to try the pilot again at some point to see if I missed something but it all seemed a bit too clever and complex for it's own good going on first impressions.
Image
User avatar
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER
 
Posts: 12365
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:49 am
Location: Unknown

Re: AMCs RUBICON

Postby Maui on Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:29 am

I think the first episode did an excellent job of setting the tone, introducing the characters and confusing us all. The crossword puzzle stuff was rather convoluted - how it led to that guy's death BUT we aren't supposed to know yet. It's the pilot. You want answers too soon. The train crash is curious. Maybe the answers on the crossword puzzle were track coordinates for those 2 trains. Doh! Well, no not really, we know that 3 of the answers on the crossword puzzle represented government sectors, the 4th answer is unknown (or something like that). AMC has a great record with Breaking Bad, Mad Men, etc. and I'm sure Rubicon and soon The Walking Dead will be no exception to AMC's near perfect programming.

I loved the 70s look and feel of this show and James Badge Dale is fantastic. He's a rising star I say. One to watch out for.

13
User avatar
Maui
WoWie
 
Posts: 7609
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 10:19 pm

Re: AMCs RUBICON

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:35 am

Maui wrote:I think the first episode did an excellent job of setting the tone, introducing the characters and confusing us all. The crossword puzzle stuff was rather convoluted - how it led to that guy's death BUT we aren't supposed to know yet. It's the pilot. You want answers too soon. The train crash is curious. Maybe the answers on the crossword puzzle were track coordinates for those 2 trains. Doh! Well, no not really, we know that 3 of the answers on the crossword puzzle represented government sectors, the 4th answer is unknown (or something like that). AMC has a great record with Breaking Bad, Mad Men, etc. and I'm sure Rubicon and soon The Walking Dead will be no exception to AMC's near perfect programming.

I loved the 70s look and feel of this show and James Badge Dale is fantastic. He's a rising star I say. One to watch out for.

13


I think it shows a lot of promise but really it all depends on how the show progresses at this point.
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Re: AMC's RUBICON

Postby Ribbons on Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:10 pm

So, wait... this show ISN'T about the Jeep vehicle?
User avatar
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG
 
Posts: 13991
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:00 am

Re: AMC's RUBICON

Postby MacCready on Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:43 am

Or Julius Caesar?





fail
User avatar
MacCready
MAN IN SUIT
 
Posts: 835
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:52 am

Re: AMC's RUBICON

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:08 pm

I really liked this, though the sudden death of Peter Gerety in the pilot sickened me. Why taunt us with a hot Irish drunk and then kill him in the first episode. AMC are assholes always now.
Image
User avatar
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA
 
Posts: 10626
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:28 am
Location: Port Angeles, WA

Re: AMC's RUBICON

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:35 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:I really liked this, though the sudden death of Peter Gerety in the pilot sickened me. Why taunt us with a hot Irish drunk and then kill him in the first episode. AMC are assholes always now.


they could always bring him back in The Walking Dead.
Image
User avatar
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger
 
Posts: 19259
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:00 pm

Re: RUBICON

Postby Ribbons on Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:01 am

Has anybody been watching this show? I've recorded them all so far, but I haven't seen an episode yet.
User avatar
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG
 
Posts: 13991
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:00 am

Re: RUBICON

Postby The Vicar on Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:08 am

Not yet - I just got AMC though, so my odds are going up. See if Mad Men is kark or what. Have a ringside for The Walking Dead. Yeah booooyyyy.
.
........................................
Image
User avatar
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone
 
Posts: 16179
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:21 am

Re: RUBICON

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:53 am

The last episode was really great. It's basically dealing with thew human aspects of intelligence analysts. Do we kill "so and so" or don't we.

It's finally feeling like a lived in world.
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Re: RUBICON

Postby Maui on Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:14 am

stereosforgeeks wrote:The last episode was really great. It's basically dealing with thew human aspects of intelligence analysts. Do we kill "so and so" or don't we.

It's finally feeling like a lived in world.


Yeah, I think that picture of Obama helped. ;)

AND thank god that preschool narration did not return for last night's recap of past episodes. What a painful experience that was week before last to listen to him recap what's been going on. Does AMC really think this show is that hard to follow that the viewers require this type of hand holding?

Anyways, I've been hooked from the pilot episode. Good stuff.
User avatar
Maui
WoWie
 
Posts: 7609
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 10:19 pm

Re: RUBICON

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:43 pm

i've been taping it, just looking for an opportunity to watch.
Image
User avatar
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger
 
Posts: 19259
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:00 pm

Re: RUBICON

Postby RaulMonkey on Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:05 pm

Yes, I think I like the cut of this show's jib. Over the course of four episodes I've gone from skeptical to intrigued to admiring. The "conspiracy" itself seems to be something that could plausibly occur in the real world, as opposed to a fantasy about some huge power that controls every aspect of our lives and is the root of all suffering. More "All the President's Men" than "The Matrix."
Image
User avatar
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR
 
Posts: 3405
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:12 am
Location: YYC

Re: RUBICON

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:24 pm

After three episodes I'm hooked. It is rather intriguing stuff and they are taking their time with story.

James Badge Dale is much better in this than he was in The Pacific (although that may have been more a problem with The Pacific than with him).

I like the points where Miles, having worked through some intelligence and figuring out the key outcomes, becomes troubled that it all gets ignored (by whatever authorities he thinks he's ultimately working for).

Ingram is a weird fellow.

(also UKers, BBC4 are going to be showing this soon)
User avatar
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 13930
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:28 pm
Location: ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

Re: RUBICON

Postby Nice Marmot on Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:48 am

Really liking the show. However, most of the time I'm wondering why Will and Kale aren't trying MUCH harder to not get caught or noticed. I feel like I would do a better job being secretive without any training.

Also the relationship between Will and the artist woman across the way seemed pretty damn rushed to me.

Other than that, great show. I love what was set up at the end of the last one.
User avatar
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON
 
Posts: 411
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:26 pm

Re: RUBICON

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:18 pm

Nice Marmot wrote:Also the relationship between Will and the artist woman across the way seemed pretty damn rushed to me.

Possibly. But it comes at a time when he's in desperate need for someone to trust in and, for a complete stranger, she let's him invade her apartment with a hokey story.
User avatar
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 13930
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:28 pm
Location: ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

Re: RUBICON

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:07 pm

This show turned out to be pretty awesome. The actual conspiracy was been there done that but the workplace intelligence analyst stuff worked really well. I hope we do get a second season and it could be likely as AMC owns the building where most of it is filmed.
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Re: RUBICON

Postby TonyWilson on Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:49 pm

I have about 10 episodes on my hard drive to catch up with, I'm pleased to hear it's still good TV despite the change in showrunner.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
User avatar
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow
 
Posts: 9155
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:45 am
Location: A Drained Swimming Pool

Re: RUBICON

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:07 pm

TonyWilson wrote:I have about 10 episodes on my hard drive to catch up with, I'm pleased to hear it's still good TV despite the change in showrunner.

As far as I'm aware, the pilot was the only episode the original showrunner worked on.
User avatar
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 13930
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:28 pm
Location: ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

Re: RUBICON

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:30 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
TonyWilson wrote:I have about 10 episodes on my hard drive to catch up with, I'm pleased to hear it's still good TV despite the change in showrunner.

As far as I'm aware, the pilot was the only episode the original showrunner worked on.


I think it was the 4th or 5th episode where you can really see the second showrunner's fingers on it and also where it becomes something truly interesting.
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Re: RUBICON

Postby Nice Marmot on Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:46 am

Fried Gold wrote:
Nice Marmot wrote:Also the relationship between Will and the artist woman across the way seemed pretty damn rushed to me.

Possibly. But it comes at a time when he's in desperate need for someone to trust in and, for a complete stranger, she let's him invade her apartment with a hokey story.


NOW what do you think???
User avatar
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON
 
Posts: 411
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:26 pm

Re: RUBICON

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:48 am

Nice Marmot wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:
Nice Marmot wrote:Also the relationship between Will and the artist woman across the way seemed pretty damn rushed to me.

Possibly. But it comes at a time when he's in desperate need for someone to trust in and, for a complete stranger, she let's him invade her apartment with a hokey story.


NOW what do you think???

About what?
User avatar
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 13930
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:28 pm
Location: ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

Re: RUBICON

Postby Nice Marmot on Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:54 am

Have you watched the finale? I'm talking bout Will and the lady across the way having a relationship that I felt was rushed, in which he blabs to her way too much (not careful enough as usual) and on top of that, she's a friggin' agent, monitoring the situation? I don't know. Way too much of a coincidence.

Love the show, though!
User avatar
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON
 
Posts: 411
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:26 pm

Re: RUBICON

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:43 am

Nice Marmot wrote:Have you watched the finale? I'm talking bout Will and the lady across the way having a relationship that I felt was rushed, in which he blabs to her way too much (not careful enough as usual) and on top of that, she's a friggin' agent, monitoring the situation? I don't know. Way too much of a coincidence.

Love the show, though!

That didn't particularly surprise me though.

What seemed strange was the way Will just walked away from Catherine Rhumour after she'd was Markoved.

It had a feel of one of The X-Files season finales about it - the way the team is completely shaken up, a conspiracy is partly blown open, and key sources are killed off.
User avatar
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 13930
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:28 pm
Location: ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

Re: RUBICON

Postby RaulMonkey on Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:11 pm

Fried Gold wrote:It had a feel of one of The X-Files season finales about it - the way the team is completely shaken up, a conspiracy is partly blown open, and key sources are killed off.


I miss Deep Throat. :P
Image
User avatar
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR
 
Posts: 3405
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:12 am
Location: YYC

Re: RUBICON

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:36 pm

RaulMonkey wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:It had a feel of one of The X-Files season finales about it - the way the team is completely shaken up, a conspiracy is partly blown open, and key sources are killed off.


I miss Deep Throat. :P

It's okay though, he gets replaced by Black Deep Throat.
User avatar
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 13930
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:28 pm
Location: ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

Re: RUBICON

Postby Nice Marmot on Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:46 pm

RUBICON just found a four leafed clover. . .

http://www.deadline.com/2010/11/the-can ... on-wheels/
User avatar
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON
 
Posts: 411
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:26 pm

Re: RUBICON

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:13 pm

Nice Marmot wrote:RUBICON just found a four leafed clover. . .

http://www.deadline.com/2010/11/the-can ... on-wheels/

Fail.
User avatar
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 13930
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:28 pm
Location: ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

Re: RUBICON

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:26 pm

ok, so i just heard this was cancelled. i didn't watch it, but was thinking of catching up with it on dvd. my question is, knowing the show will be confined to this one single season, does it have a satisfying conclusion? or does it end with a cliffhanger, or with lots of dangling threads that will now never be resolved. i don't want to waste my time watching this if it's just going to be a dead end.
Image
User avatar
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger
 
Posts: 19259
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:00 pm

Re: RUBICON

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:35 pm

TheBaxter wrote:my question is, knowing the show will be confined to this one single season, does it have a satisfying conclusion?

Yes.

or does it end with a cliffhanger

No.

or with lots of dangling threads that will now never be resolved.

Not especially.
User avatar
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 13930
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:28 pm
Location: ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░


Return to Coaxial

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 4 guests

cron