The Gates

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

The Gates

Postby Peven on Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:42 am

anyone else see the pilot episode of "The Gates"? it's like they are trying to make an adult version of Twilight, a large gated community that is actually called, The Gates, where...."different" people live to avoid the intrusiveness of the outside world..."different" meaning vampires and werewolves and witches and shit. they keep it all hidden, aside from little whispers to each other while in public, something about keeping things inside The Gates nice and copacetic since not everyone is..."different", including the new sheriff, who is miscast and the weakest link so far, imo. the best part so far? Rhona Mitra as a vampire housewife with a lack of self control when it comes to the blood craving thing, which helps begin one of the main plotlines. the way it is played it is like she is an alcoholic and her husband is the one who is can handle his shit and is always having to scramble to make up for her not being able to handle hers, because he is so concerned for the welfare of their little daughter. one of the other plotlines is centered on the Sheriff's teenage son who charms the hottest girl in school...who just happens to be dating a werewolf. like i said, Twilight emulation.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Re: The Gates

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:52 am

i already watch True Blood. i can only take at most one vampire/werewolf tv show at a time. if it turns out the gates is really good and people recommend it, then i'll catch up later on dvd.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Peven on Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:13 am

i watch the vast majority of "tv" on my computer these days, either on Hulu or Netflix, which makes it easier to schedule watching

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Maui on Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:52 am

Peven wrote:anyone else see the pilot episode of "The Gates"? it's like they are trying to make an adult version of Twilight, a large gated community that is actually called, The Gates, where...."different" people live to avoid the intrusiveness of the outside world..."different" meaning vampires and werewolves and witches and shit. they keep it all hidden, aside from little whispers to each other while in public, something about keeping things inside The Gates nice and copacetic since not everyone is..."different", including the new sheriff, who is miscast and the weakest link so far, imo. the best part so far? Rhona Mitra as a vampire housewife with a lack of self control when it comes to the blood craving thing, which helps begin one of the main plotlines. the way it is played it is like she is an alcoholic and her husband is the one who is can handle his shit and is always having to scramble to make up for her not being able to handle hers, because he is so concerned for the welfare of their little daughter. one of the other plotlines is centered on the Sheriff's teenage son who charms the hottest girl in school...who just happens to be dating a werewolf. like i said, Twilight emulation.

So, for a pilot episode not bad? Is it strictly a drama or does it bring forth the funny? I saw the previews for it and I'm curious. I think my repertoire of vampire TV is full with True Blood and Vampire Diaries, still I may check this out.
Maui
WoWie

Postby swoop91 on Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:59 pm

Another Vamp flick. Just this time its Vampires meet Desperate Housewives.

Rhona Mitra this season, after being rather, sucky, in SG:U returns as one of main characters, and
Nadia from 24 as her human counterpart.

Anyways, a new sherif rides into town, and old problems seem to suddenly resurface.

Could be fun. please let it be fun.
swoop91
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby MacCready on Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:26 pm

What's next? A "vampire" version of West Wing? Happy Days? The Mary Tyler Moore Show? Enough already. I guess the Wolfman film bombing sort of blew the chances for werewolves/wolfmen being the next hot supernatural franchise.
MacCready
MAN IN SUIT

Postby Peven on Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:54 am

it is definitely like a crossbreeding between prime time soap opera and the vampire/werewolf genre....

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby swoop91 on Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:50 am

What about succubus/witch genre?
swoop91
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Peven on Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:56 pm

well, that's a given.....