Emmys 2010

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Emmys 2010

Postby so sorry on Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:58 am

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/45703

Who got screwed? Who's overrated? Which nom is perfect? Where is Charlie Sheen????

Discuss.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Re: Emmy Nominations 2010 announced

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:35 pm

I was glad to see some Noms for FNL, but disappointed that none went to Zach Gilford. And I am honestly puzzled that they did not give it a nom for Best Drama. I can tell you right now it is better than The Good Wife and probably this past season of Dexter. For shame, Emmys!

I also think it is pretty crazy to see Kurt from GLEE get a nod. He hams it up most of the time. I suppose his stuff was ripe for an emmy nom, though.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:11 pm

Community got snubbed. deserved a nom for best comedy, and probably a few noms for actors and actresses.
even though i watch True Blood, i don't think it deserves a nom for ANYTHING.
same for the Office.
it's funny that Elizabeth Mitchell got a nom for Lost, even though she's only in two episodes last season, and barely at that. the Lost nom is for the series as a whole, i presume, since the last season was one of the weaker ones.
glad to see Lithgow get a nom for Dexter.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TonyWilson on Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:30 pm

Aaron Paul absolutely should win for Breaking Bad, he was utterly and always brilliant this season vacillating between grief, anger, resentment and cool, assured malice.
I'd like to see Fox win in best acting even though I pretty much hate Lost since Beyond The Sea. Damn shame Noble wasn't nominated, his scene with Peter Weller in White Tulip made my jaw drop it was just so perfect.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby DaleTremont on Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:34 pm

No Justified? Boo! Walton Goggins should have gotten a nod.

And once again no love for It's Always Sunny.

For me the biggest crime is that Hung wasn't nominated.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby Ribbons on Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:47 pm

I'll tell you who got snubbed: Ted Danson in Bored to Death! (seriously!) Nobody watched the show so I'm not that surprised, but what an awesome performance.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Maui on Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:48 am

Sweet, The Good Wife scores some noms. This show is so smart and extremely well written. One of my favourite new shows this year, among many others.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Nachokoolaid on Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:42 pm

My two favorite shows are 30 Rock and Modern Family, and they both seem to be getting some love here, so I can't complain.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby mcflash on Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:58 am

Totally agree on Aaron Paul - he outshined just about everyone on AMC, and possibly TV as a whole, this season and that's huge.

Community definitely should be in there for comedy. Do people actually like Parks and Rec? I find myself bored when it's on most of the time. Aziz Ansari's decent but the rest of the show does exactly nothing for me.
mcflash
GLIB

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:11 am

mcflash wrote:Community definitely should be in there for comedy. Do people actually like Parks and Rec? I find myself bored when it's on most of the time. Aziz Ansari's decent but the rest of the show does exactly nothing for me.

Definitely on Community. I mean come on Tony Shaloub again!!! Monks not even a remotely good show. That spot should have gone to McHale.

Parks and Rec is great. Rashida is the weak link on the show. Shes not funny or interesting in the slightest. The first season wasnt very good but it definitely got much better as it went along. I mean come on you have Ron Swanson, Andy, April, Tom, etc... They all have their unique comic personalities and shine on the show.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby RaulMonkey on Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:23 am

stereosforgeeks wrote:Parks and Rec is great. Rashida is the weak link on the show. Shes not funny or interesting in the slightest. The first season wasnt very good but it definitely got much better as it went along. I mean come on you have Ron Swanson, Andy, April, Tom, etc... They all have their unique comic personalities and shine on the show.

Parks and The Office are the only sitcoms I watch these days (since I ditched "30 Rock" during the Conan debacle.) I suppose you're right about Rashida Jones. She's pretty, but she's pretty much a straight man. She was perfect as Paul Rudd's fiancée in "I Love You, Man," because they needed someone who the audience could be happy about him marrying at the end, but who was also boring enough that we'd understand wanting to spend time away from her.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby Ribbons on Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:42 pm

Ta-da! Anybody feel like live-blogging this thing?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Re: Emmys 2010

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:05 pm

I think this year's show is actually pretty good. It's funny. And I hate Fallon, and it's still funny.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Fievel on Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:34 pm

DaleTremont wrote:No Justified? Boo! Walton Goggins should have gotten a nod.

And once again no love for It's Always Sunny.

For me the biggest crime is that Hung wasn't nominated.

I see what you did there...
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:34 pm

The little fake comments the announcer makes while they're walking to the stage is the best part of the show.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Fievel on Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Nachokoolaid wrote:I think this year's show is actually pretty good. It's funny. And I hate Fallon, and it's still funny.

Colbert & Fallon singing..... and the real highlight is that Conan is behind them.

I hate Fallon too.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fievel on Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:43 pm

Nachokoolaid wrote:The little fake comments the announcer makes while they're walking to the stage is the best part of the show.

That and the Infinity car commercials with the Community cast.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fievel on Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:48 pm

"....... not as much as the Jews...."
Ricky Gervais FOR THE FUCKING WIN!!!!!
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fievel on Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:25 pm

I don't remember the music/performer at this past year's Oscars, but I remember it being horribly distracting.
Here I thought the Jewel song was good, non-distracting, and it fit the mood quite well.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fievel on Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:38 pm

It was kind of cool to see the REAL Alexander Skarsgård, if only for the briefest of moments making that horrible, horrible joke (as I typed this the shout-out to Gervais was better).
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fievel on Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:39 pm

Holy shit..... my commenting on people from a vampire television show made me feel incredibly LaDracul-ish. :oops:
Anyone reading this... PLEASE accept my apologies.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fievel on Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:48 pm

Screw this!!
If I'm the only one in here I'm taking of my pants!!!

LLOYD!!!! I need a drink!!!!!!!!!!!

I need to watch the rest of The Pacific.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fievel on Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:06 pm

Final thoughts.....
- I still hate Jimmy Fallon
- Undercovers looks extremely intriguing
- Boardwalk Empire appears to be comprised of 70% awesomeness and 83% holy fucking god this is the best series EVAR!!!!!
- Jimmy Fallon made my skin crawl
- I forgot that two people from Diff'rent Strokes died in the past year (Gary Coleman and Dixie Carter - I know, Dixie Carter was the final jump of the shark for that show, but she was a cast member nonetheless)
- I still need to watch Breaking Bad..... all of it
- Ted Danson is aging well. Seriously.
- If you'd give me a large dosage of Ex-Lax and then give me a pudding enema.... the sound of what would come exploding out is what I think of Jimmy Fallon.

Edit - I've been reveling in what I believed to be a line of comedy genius in regards to a "pudding enema"....... and then for some fucked up reason I decided to Google "pudding enema"....... I didn't DARE click on a single link!!
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Ribbons on Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:30 pm

Nachokoolaid wrote:The little fake comments the announcer makes while they're walking to the stage is the best part of the show.

Yeah, John Hodgeman announcing the winners this year and last year was pretty cool.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Ribbons on Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:31 pm

Fievel wrote:Screw this!!
If I'm the only one in here I'm taking of my pants!!!

LLOYD!!!! I need a drink!!!!!!!!!!!

My bad! :oops: I only watched a little bit of the show.

Fievel wrote:I need to watch the rest of The Pacific.

YES YOU DO!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:35 pm

Fievel wrote:"....... not as much as the Jews...."
Ricky Gervais FOR THE FUCKING WIN!!!!!

I think it's a secret rule of celebrity or something that Gervais can only be funny on awards shows. He always seems much better on them.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Fievel on Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:38 pm

His standup special on HBO a year or two ago KILLED me!!
Tons of clips on YouTube if you haven't seen it.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TonyWilson on Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:15 am

Aaron Paul for the motherfucking win! Woooo.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:19 am

did Dexter or Community win anything?
other than that, i don't really care.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:15 pm

Was it me, or was this year's Emmy's overly/overtly gåy? Not that there's anything wrong with that...

And speaking of gåy, someone really needs to explain the popularity of Glee. They sing and dance to other people's music? And what's-her-name broods and gives evil looks for 1/2 hour? Seriously?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Maui on Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:26 pm

I was happy to see Archie Panjabi win for her role of Kalinda on The Good Wife. She is a superb actress and worthy of this emmy. I'm also jazzed that Aaron Paul finally got recognition for BB, Yo!
Maui
WoWie

Postby Ribbons on Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:15 pm

so sorry wrote:And speaking of gåy, someone really needs to explain the popularity of Glee. They sing and dance to other people's music? And what's-her-name broods and gives evil looks for 1/2 hour? Seriously?

Well I'm not going to try and defend Glee itself from its detractors, because I get where they're coming from to a certain extent (even if they've never seen it :twisted: ). However, Sue Sylvester is a great character and performance, regardless of whatever may be wrong with the rest of the show. That's the one Glee nomination (and win, as it turns out) that I completely support.

As for its popularity, I blame the kids with their Hannah Montanas and their Camp Rocks and such.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:07 pm

so sorry wrote:Was it me, or was this year's Emmy's overly/overtly gåy? Not that there's anything wrong with that...

they're just trying to ride on the Tonys' coattails.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby DennisMM on Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:02 pm

Temple Grandin kicked ass -- including Dr. Grandin, herself.

Full disclosure: Dr. Grandin is a professor of animal sciences at Colorado State University, my employer.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby JakWhyte on Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:11 pm

I was super happy to see Modern Family win best Comedy. It's definitley one of the better situational ensemble cast sit-coms thats come out in recent years.
So I have this blog where I review films. And you should check it out. Why? Because I asked nicely. ^_^

http://terrellreviews.blogspot.com/
JakWhyte
GLIB

Postby DerLanghaarige on Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:19 pm

Y'know, with every award show appearance I hate Ricky Gervais more. What an unfunny, obnoxious fuck he is. He even somehow managed to make Jimmy Fallon less annoying! (Although I gotta admit that his Mel Gibson joke WAS hilarious.)
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby JakWhyte on Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:35 pm

DerLanghaarige wrote:Y'know, with every award show appearance I hate Ricky Gervais more. What an unfunny, obnoxious fuck he is. He even somehow managed to make Jimmy Fallon less annoying! (Although I gotta admit that his Mel Gibson joke WAS hilarious.)

Watch The Ricky Gervais show on HBO. It's hilarious. I don't see how you could find him obnoxious.
So I have this blog where I review films. And you should check it out. Why? Because I asked nicely. ^_^

http://terrellreviews.blogspot.com/
JakWhyte
GLIB

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:51 am

JakWhyte wrote:
DerLanghaarige wrote:Y'know, with every award show appearance I hate Ricky Gervais more. What an unfunny, obnoxious fuck he is. He even somehow managed to make Jimmy Fallon less annoying! (Although I gotta admit that his Mel Gibson joke WAS hilarious.)

Watch The Ricky Gervais show on HBO. It's hilarious. I don't see how you could find him obnoxious.

i find him obnoxious, but in a hilarious way.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby DerLanghaarige on Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:32 pm

JakWhyte wrote:Watch The Ricky Gervais show on HBO. It's hilarious. I don't see how you could find him obnoxious.

After being badly burned by The Office (a show that I seriously couldn't get behind, despite watching three different versions [British, American and the German version named "Stromberg"] of it), Extras (a.k.a. "In this episode a celebrity plays a wacky caricature of himself"), the one Simpsons episode that he wrote (which is in my personal Top 5 of most boring episodes) and his recent string of award show appearances (In at least two of them he acted like was drunk to get some cheap laughs and in this year's Emmys his appearance could be summed up with "giggle giggle mumble mumble giggle giggle mumble mumble giggle surprisingly good Mel Gibson joke giggle mumble giggle mumble") I don't think I ever will.
(But I remember that he was pretty good in that Season 3 episode of Alias, so maybe he should try more dramatic roles now.)
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Return to Coaxial