LOUIE LOUIE LOUIE LOU-IE-IE-IIIEEE . . .

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

LOUIE LOUIE LOUIE LOU-IE-IE-IIIEEE . . .

Postby Nice Marmot on Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:59 pm

How bout it? Love Louis C.K.

The show has been up & down, but, in my book, there're much more positives than negatives.

And there are WAY more cringe inducing scenes than I ever imagined. The bully anyone . . . ?

2nd season on its way . . .
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON

Re: LOUIE LOUIE LOUIE LOU-IE-IE-IIIEEE . . .

Postby Ribbons on Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:08 pm

I keep meaning to watch this show, but forget when it's on/have something else to do/go make a sandwich.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby John-Locke on Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:33 pm

Hilarious show, right up there as one of the funniest things on TV
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby ONeillSG1 on Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:57 am

Great show. EXPERT STAND-UP. Awesome stuff.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby Maui on Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:14 pm

Glad to see you are all liking it. I saw ads for this but wasn't sure if it was any good. 9 episodes in so far, right? Gonna give it a shot.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Nice Marmot on Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:46 pm

Wow. Can't wait to go to the dentist again . . .
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON

Postby RogueScribner on Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:52 am

This show is hilarious. The only misstep IMO was the God episode. It wasn't very funny. Or even entertaining.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Peven on Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:35 pm

the show is alright, hit and miss...sometimes he is funny and sometimes he makes me want to smack him, especially when he overdoes the whole hemming and hawwing, half saying shit and then not ending the sentence thing, just spit it the fuck out, dude.....

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Ribbons on Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:55 pm

Nice Marmot wrote:And there are WAY more cringe inducing scenes than I ever imagined.

Holy shit yes. It reminds me of The Office a little in that it mines humor from awkward and depressing scenarios, but not quite in the same way. All I know is that one scene in the pilot with the blind date was painful to watch, especially each time he "smiled." But I enjoy watching it all the same. I'm only three episodes in so far but it seems good. And the stand-up material (Louis pretty much plays himself, so he's a stand-up comedian) is pretty solid too.

I also like how he's able to find the comedy in awful situations. I mean, talking about getting divorced and dying alone? That shit is bleak! But a lot of those situations are just facts of life, and the way they're handled makes the experience kind of cathartic, because you can laugh about it. Sometimes. Other times it's just bleak.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Ribbons on Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:03 pm

Nice Marmot wrote:The bully anyone . . . ?

I just got to this episode. Pretty good stuff. That whole story ran the gamut of emotions; by the time he was following that kid home I half-expected him to pull a Travis Bickle. But what actually happened was possibly even more surprising, in a good way.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:12 pm

Ribbons wrote:
Nice Marmot wrote:The bully anyone . . . ?

I just got to this episode. Pretty good stuff. That whole story ran the gamut of emotions; by the time he was following that kid home I half-expected him to pull a Travis Bickle. But what actually happened was possibly even more surprising, in a good way.

i thought it was weak, big time. the show swings from being really funny to utter shit, like the scene you refer to when he is talking to the parents of the "bully", almost every episode is wildly uneven. the best scenes, hands down, are when he is at the doctor's office...but no surprise there as it is Ricky Gervais providing the funny...

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Ribbons on Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:31 pm

I'm probably a little biased because I was already a fan of Louis CK as a comedian, but I like the sensibility of the show. I liked how he spent half an episode arguing with some girl who talked during his routine, and the only joke the entire time was the punchline at the very end that he still wanted to sleep with her. It doesn't always feel like a comedy though, which is a fair criticism. And tonally it is all over the place, going from realistic and kind of painful scenes like that to one where his blind date jumps in a helicopter and flies away. But I've enjoyed every episode so far.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:26 am

Ribbons wrote:I'm probably a little biased because I was already a fan of Louis CK as a comedian, but I like the sensibility of the show. I liked how he spent half an episode arguing with some girl who talked during his routine, and the only joke the entire time was the punchline at the very end that he still wanted to sleep with her. It doesn't always feel like a comedy though, which is a fair criticism. And tonally it is all over the place, going from realistic and kind of painful scenes like that to one where his blind date jumps in a helicopter and flies away. But I've enjoyed every episode so far.

see, I loved that scene where he rips that girl a new one for talking during his routine. good shit. i also dug the scene where he starts to try to ask out the chick at the playground and she shoots him down before he can finish. but, the bully episode? fail. for starters, he WAS a pussy to let a high school kid intimidate him like that, he was twice that kid's size, can you blame that woman for losing interest in him for rolling over like that? i mean, gee, she should really feel secure with him, right, what if those kids had wanted to pull a train on her. what was Louis going to do, cry in the corner and watch? anyway, it can get frustrating watching the show because i go from laughing and agreeing with him on stuff, after all he is the same age as i am and is a divorced dad, too, so i can empathize with the whole mid-life misery shit at times, to wanting to reach into the tv the shake the shit out of him.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Nice Marmot on Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:56 am

Tomorrow night!

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/whats-alan- ... -than-ever

Review: FX's 'Louie' returns for season 2, darker and smarter than ever
Louis C.K.'s one-man operation is back and strong

By Alan Sepinwall
Tuesday, Jun 21, 2011 2:00 PM

You ask any comedian why they went into the profession, and 8 or 9 times out of 10 you'll hear stories of melancholy, of feeling like an outsider, of turning to comedy out of some need for attention or approval, and of the frustrating realization that even that attention often isn't enough.

It's a familiar story, one that's been told in interviews and fictionalized often in the past, but rarely has the whole tears of a clown thing been rendered better than on FX's "Louie." Returning for a second season Thursday night at 10:30, it's either the saddest funny show I've ever seen or the funniest sad show.

The series is the singular vision of comedian Louis C.K., who stars in, writes, directs and edits every episode, and who has an unusual deal with FX in which he gets absolutely no creative interference from the network in exchange for a smaller-than-normal budget. Whatever C.K. wants to do, he does - and that includes making what's either the funniest sad show, or the saddest funny show, I've ever seen.

There was obviously plenty of darkness and self-loathing in the first season of "Louie" - in which C.K. essentially plays himself, focusing on his work as a stand-up comic and his life as divorced father to two young girls - but it feels like that's only been magnified in the new season. That, or C.K. just happened to frontload the more introspective episodes this time around - 3 of the first 4 episodes rely predominantly on the snippets of C.K.'s stand-up act for laughter - and the very eclectic, anything-goes series will be trying on its funny face more often later in the season.

And I don't consider that to be a negative, by the way. Some of the best, most fascinating episodes and scenes from "Louie" season one had no interest in making the audience laugh: Louie asking a Dumbledore comedian about using a Dumbledore slur in his act, Louie confronting the father of a teenage bully who ruined his blind date, young Louie being terrified at Catholic school by a graphic lesson on the crucifixion of Jesus, etc. C.K. can tell a dirty joke like no one's business - and the stand-up segments remain blessedly, shockingly filthy and hilarious - but he has a lot of deeper stories on his mind, and he tells them incredibly well.

And that continues to be the case in season two, where the stories include a potential medical crisis for Louie's pregnant older sister, Louie confronting his sorry financial situation while shopping for a new apartment, and Louie and Joan Rivers (as herself) having a long, serious, drunken conversation about their profession.

Of course, there's also bathroom humor, and C.K.'s vision of New York as a place that could turn absolutely surreal at any moment, and a lot of other disturbing and hilarious comedy. Next week's episode, featuring a pair of stories about Louie's love life (or lack thereof), is pretty much wall-to-wall comedy (even a section where Louie is pondering the randomness of human existence is half-played as a long, sick joke), and it's terrific. And if the other episodes lean heavily on the stand-up segments to provide laugh, it's still stand-up from the man who's currently at the top of that particular profession.

(In one of the more printable bits, he talks about how his 9-year-old and 5-year-old daughter have different skill levels - and that he and the older girl always have to do things on the younger one's weak level, making them "like three 5-year-olds of different sizes.")

But more often than not, the comedy seems like C.K.'s way of baiting the hook to lead the audience to what he really wants to talk about: family, opening yourself up to the world, accepting your limitations as a parent, professional standards, and more. And C.K. in all his various roles on the show is so effective with the show's serious side that I've never once had the Homer Simpson reaction where I've wanted to bang on my TV and yell, "Be more funny!"

If Louis C.K. wants to get me doubled over in laughter, he can do that almost without trying. But if he wants to use long stretches of his TV show to take me into the black, depressed corners of his mind, he's earned that right. Silly or sober, "Louie" is one of the best shows on television.

Alan Sepinwall may be reached at sepinwall@hitfix.com
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON

Postby Nice Marmot on Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:00 pm

Premier was WEAK . . .
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON

Postby Nice Marmot on Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:16 pm

cricket chirp

cricket chirp

cricket chirp
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON

Postby Wolfpack on Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:37 pm

Nice Marmot wrote:cricket chirp

cricket chirp

cricket chirp

I'll see your cricket chirp and raise you a tumbleweed lazily rolling by.
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby Ribbons on Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:07 am

I've watched the first two episodes. They were okay, not as good as season 1 I would say, but it's still early days yet.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Nice Marmot on Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:33 am

Was just telling my wife that if this season were the first season, there wouldn't be any second season . . .
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON

Postby Nice Marmot on Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:49 am

Hey, Louie's up for an Emmy. And the last episode was the best so far, but still subpar compared to season one.

Now back to crickets and tumbleweeds . . .
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON

Postby so sorry on Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:22 pm

Nice Marmot wrote:Hey, Louie's up for an Emmy. And the last episode was the best so far, but still subpar compared to season one.

Now back to crickets and tumbleweeds . . .

Yeah this might be one of those examples of a critically acclaimed shows that goes nowhere.

I've watched 2 episodes. Its funny, but in a smirk-not-laugh kinda way. I couldn't get into it though.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Nice Marmot on Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:00 pm

Ok, might as well revive this one as well . . .

I'm liking the new season now. Funnier and less clunky.

And season 3 is a go . . .
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON

Postby Ribbons on Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:54 pm

Yeah, it was a little patchy at the beginning but the last few episodes have all been really solid. And getting Dane Cook to appear on the show AND discuss the whole joke-stealing fiasco? I definitely did NOT see that one coming.

Also, I'm super-psyched that Louis CK got nominated for an Emmy for his work here (even though he's basically playing himself).
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Nice Marmot on Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:08 pm

Haven't watched the new one yet. DANE COOK is in it???? Uhhh, if you say it's still a good episode I'll take your word for it . . .
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON

Postby Ribbons on Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:25 pm

It's a pretty good scene, although Cook is totally unapologetic (which is probably the way it had to be if he was going to agree to do the show in the first place). I get the impression that Louis asked him on for basically the reasons they talk about in the episode -- he felt guilty that he allowed his name to be used to damage Cook's reputation.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Nice Marmot on Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:26 pm

I was not aware of any history between the 2. All I know is Louie rocks and Dane Cook is just awful, in my opinion.

I'll have to look this up . . .
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON

Postby John-Locke on Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:43 pm

The philosophy of Louis CK

Nice piece on the existential nature of Louie, well worth a read.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby John-Locke on Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:29 pm

Last nights episode with Doug Stanhope was excellent, if you don't watch regularly this is one not to miss.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Ribbons on Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:50 am

LOUIE is back tonight? Uh... tomorrow night? Now-ish!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Return to Coaxial