COOKING Shows (Food Pr0n Included)

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

COOKING Shows (Food Pr0n Included)

Postby Maui on Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:32 pm

GO!

Um...I've been watching cooking shows since I was wee. I can remember watching The Galloping Gourmet with my Mom many moons ago, so that's where it all began. Where there's good food, there's comfort.

I watch a ton of stuff on FOOD Network. Some of my favourite chefs are Symon, Florence, Flay, Conant (Pasta Nazi), Cat Cora...the list goes on and on. I'm also guilty of watching some of the reality type shows on FOOD, which often have an Amazing Race vibe to them and seem to focus less on technique and more on how fast the chefs drive a car. The Cooking Channel features some great shows as well. Cooking Like an Iron Chef, Luke's Vietnam, Food(ology).

So, what do you watch? Who's your favourite chef? Anyone else wonder why Guy isn't fatter than he is after visiting all those greasy diners? Is Scott Conant too militant about undercooked/overdone pasta? Is there anyone that is geekier about food than Alton Brown? Is Paula Dean serving up more cholesterol problems week after week? Who's cuisine will reign supreme? Will Nom Nom win the Great Food Truck Race? What is the craziest ingredient you've seen in the Chopped Basket?

:mrgreen:
Maui
WoWie

Re: COOKING Shows (Food P0rn Included)

Postby Pacino86845 on Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:50 pm

Where is the p0rn!?

This is a world I have no clue about, I've only ever watched Swedish Chef.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Re: COOKING Shows (Food Pr0n Included)

Postby BuckyO'harre on Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:03 pm

I watched a lot of Food Network up until a few years ago when I moved and started living without cable television.Emeril,Mario Batali,and Good Eats mostly.

Now I occasionally watch some of the food programs on PBS/Create. Burt Wolfe's "Travels and Traditions" and "What We Eat" are really great since they're also a history lesson."Primal Grill with Steven Raichlen" will give you da el33t meat skillz.
Thank you, Zoners, for the kindness, tolerance, and enlightenment you've shared with me. It may not have been deserved, but it was greatly appreciated nonetheless. Soupy twist.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:19 am

Anything from Heston Blumenthal, before he moved to Channel 4, is rather brills Food Pr0n. Especially his "In Search of Perfection" stuff. (I still want to visit Thurman Burger in Ohio...that's right -Thurman Burger)
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby minstrel on Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:20 pm

I know he's not on Food Network, but here's a question:

Gordon Ramsay. Yes? No? Brilliant chef or insufferable asshole? Entertaining television food personality or egomaniacal blowhard? Genius restaurateur or foul-mouthed jerk?
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Maui on Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:25 am

BuckyO'harre wrote:Now I occasionally watch some of the food programs on PBS/Create. Burt Wolfe's "Travels and Traditions" and "What We Eat" are really great since they're also a history lesson."Primal Grill with Steven Raichlen" will give you da el33t meat skillz.

I haven't seen any of those you mentioned. Is Wolfe's "Travels and Traditions" similar to Bourdain's "No Reservations"?
Maui
WoWie

Postby Maui on Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:37 am

minstrel wrote:I know he's not on Food Network, but here's a question:

Gordon Ramsay. Yes? No? Brilliant chef or insufferable asshole? Entertaining television food personality or egomaniacal blowhard? Genius restaurateur or foul-mouthed jerk?

I watch Kitchen Nighmares on BBC America. There's no denying he's is a brilliant chef and genius restaurateur. He's one of very few chefs in the world with a Michelin 3 star rating. If he got there by telling alot of people to fuck off along the way, oh well. Yeah, he has a unique approach that usually has most sous chefs in tears. If it came down to watching an hour of TV with Ramsay yelling at people in a kitchen vs Jamie Oliver stuffing zucchinni flowers with ricotta, I'd have to go with Oliver.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:53 am

He's a bit of a cock and obviously talented as a chef. The way he acts on the TV shows, especially those made for US telly, is somewhat manufactured from what I understand.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:29 am

Fried Gold wrote:

He's a bit of a cock and obviously talented as a chef. The way he acts on the TV shows, especially those made for US telly, is somewhat manufactured from what I understand.

I've seen a few of his British shows and most of his Hell's Kitchen series (the US version). Two completely different people in my opinion. The Kitchen Nightmares US version he seems to be a little more subdued. I don't know what personality is really "him", but I'd venture to guess its the one I've seen on the British shows.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby BuckyO'harre on Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:31 am

Maui wrote:
BuckyO'harre wrote:Now I occasionally watch some of the food programs on PBS/Create. Burt Wolfe's "Travels and Traditions" and "What We Eat" are really great since they're also a history lesson."Primal Grill with Steven Raichlen" will give you da el33t meat skillz.

I haven't seen any of those you mentioned. Is Wolfe's "Travels and Traditions" similar to Bourdain's "No Reservations"?

I never really watched much of Bourdain's shows,but I'm pretty sure the answer is no.Burt's shows are very polished and the sort of thing you'd watch in middle school.Not so big on the funny.This is Public Broadcast we're talking about after all...
Thank you, Zoners, for the kindness, tolerance, and enlightenment you've shared with me. It may not have been deserved, but it was greatly appreciated nonetheless. Soupy twist.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby minstrel on Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:14 pm

so sorry wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:

I've seen a few of his British shows and most of his Hell's Kitchen series (the US version). Two completely different people in my opinion. The Kitchen Nightmares US version he seems to be a little more subdued. I don't know what personality is really "him", but I'd venture to guess its the one I've seen on the British shows.

I've seen most of the British Kitchen Nightmares and a couple of season's of the US Hell's Kitchen. Obviously, Fox told Ramsay to amp up the nastiness to epic scale for Hell's Kitchen. Ramsay seems to be a nicer guy in the UK than he is in the US, even though he's brutally blunt in both places.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

LudoBites

Postby TheButcher on Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:33 pm

Ludo Lefebvre’s Petit Trois: Tiny, Trendy French Bar Hides in Mini-Mall
Can restaurants hide?
Is it like Invader Zim's mobile home?
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:33 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: COOKING Shows (Joe Bastianich)

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:14 am

‘Restaurant Startup’ More About Profits Than Profiteroles, TCA Panelists Say
Diane Haithman wrote:“It’s not a competition show, “ insisted investor Tim Love, who appeared on the Restaurant Startup TCA panel today with investor/EP Joe Bastianich and culinary consultant Antonia Lofaso. The show is often described as the Shark Tank for the restaurant biz, and Love confirmed the analogy. “Do you have an idea that is focused and is real that I want to put my money into?” he added.

Fox Renews 'MasterChef Junior,' Adds Momofuku's Christina Tosi to Both Franchises
The pastry chef will take Joe Bastianich's seat on both the original and the kid-centric spinoff.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Return to Coaxial