FX's Terriers (best new show by miles and miles)

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

FX's Terriers (best new show by miles and miles)

Postby TonyWilson on Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:18 pm

So three episodes in and this show is fantastic. Donal Logue stars as Hank an unliicenced PI, former police officer and ex-alcoholic. The show's style is sort of a laid back Justified with it's centre being a smart but slackerish wash-up rather than a cop with anger issues. The cases all evolve organically from the characters personal dramas and nothing is predictable. It's terrifically well written with witty lines, unexpected resolutions and a coherent over arching story arc. it's just a supremely enjoyable show that's not particularly taxing but very emotionally involving. I can't recommend it enough and I'd implore all my US brethren to watch this on Hulu etc etc to bump its unfortunately poor ratings. You will not be disappointed, I guarantee.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Re: FX's Terriers (best new show by miles and miles)

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:35 pm

TonyWilson wrote:So three episodes in and this show is fantastic. Donal Logue stars as Hank an unliicenced PI, former police officer and ex-alcoholic. The show's style is sort of a laid back Justified with it's centre being a smart but slackerish wash-up rather than a cop with anger issues. The cases all evolve organically from the characters personal dramas and nothing is predictable. It's terrifically well written with witty lines, unexpected resolutions and a coherent over arching story arc. it's just a supremely enjoyable show that's not particularly taxing but very emotionally involving. I can't recommend it enough and I'd implore all my US brethren to watch this on Hulu etc etc to bump its unfortunately poor ratings. You will not be disappointed, I guarantee.

I love this show. It manages to be funny while having pretty fucking dark subject matter.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:49 pm

that's funny. i watch Animal Planet all the time, but i've never heard of this show.
is it as good as the Dog Whisperer?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TonyWilson on Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:57 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
TonyWilson wrote:So three episodes in and this show is fantastic. Donal Logue stars as Hank an unliicenced PI, former police officer and ex-alcoholic. The show's style is sort of a laid back Justified with it's centre being a smart but slackerish wash-up rather than a cop with anger issues. The cases all evolve organically from the characters personal dramas and nothing is predictable. It's terrifically well written with witty lines, unexpected resolutions and a coherent over arching story arc. it's just a supremely enjoyable show that's not particularly taxing but very emotionally involving. I can't recommend it enough and I'd implore all my US brethren to watch this on Hulu etc etc to bump its unfortunately poor ratings. You will not be disappointed, I guarantee.

I love this show. It manages to be funny while having pretty fucking dark subject matter.

Yeah the writers do a good balancing act. Last nights ep had very fucked up case and it wasn't particluarly written as funny but the humour came from the actors and the sheer oddness of the situation, but when it took a turn for the dark it was played straight and really hit you.
And for those who are new to the show I'll just mention it's excellent pedigree of writers/producers with Ted Griffin Shawn (The Shield) Ryan and Tim Minear, all people who can write funny but turn on a dime and do hard drama without being heavy handed.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:50 pm

sweet, I DVR'd this on a lark without knowing much if anything about it. I'll definitely make sure I give it a watch now.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Maui on Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:03 pm

Yeah, this is the best new show by miles and miles. It's my favourite new show this fall and not enough people are watching it dammit!!! I sure hope it doesn't get canceled.

The addition of Hank's sister has made it even quirkier. Love it!
Maui
WoWie

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:50 am

I'm caught up through the Olivia Williams episode. Holy shit was that good.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:37 am

Caught up through episode 5. Sweet Bagel this show is good. The twists! The turns! The sister in the attic!
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:34 pm

watched episodes 3 through 7 today and it is pretty entertaining, though i wasn't quite as bowled over as Tony. the stories are engaging and the leads are watchable and charismatic enough to overlook the gaping plot/reality holes, but that is what good shows usually do. too bad it seems the sister-in-the-attic isn't going to be on as much, unless there is going to be some sort of event that brings her back into the mix, she was the most interesting character hands down. still the naughty vampire god does a solid job anchoring things and his partner has some genuine charisma which offsets the weakest link in the show, his head-case girlfriend. her character is the one piece of work that is almost throwaway, could and has been played by almost any blond cutie in a number of shows or movies. you know, blond and hot but damaged, and we're supposed to feel sorry for her even though through her own fault she does something that makes her feel bad but then makes her boyfriend suffer for it. i guess they are going for "complex" but to me it just comes across as pathetic. i do get a kick out of naughty vampire god's lawyer, though, as little as she is used in the show.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby John-Locke on Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:40 pm

Episode 8 was pretty damn good.

I just don't love this show yet though, my favourite character is the Ex-Partner Cop if that says anything about my regards for the other characters in the show.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Peven on Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:44 pm

John-Locke wrote:Episode 8 was pretty damn good.

I just don't love this show yet though, my favourite character is the Ex-Partner Cop if that says anything about my regards for the other characters in the show.

he does a pretty good job with it, though the smokeless cig arette thing is bordering on gimmicky

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Pacino86845 on Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Well it's a cig@rette holder, which is not far removed from the thing (nicorette inhaler) I'm using to NOT smoke (nearly 4 months now!)...

I really like the show, and would not have discovered it were it not for this thread.

It's a fun buddy tv series. At first I was a bit put off by Britt Pollack because of another show I'd seen him on and the role he had there (True Blood!) but I got used to seeing him in this new role quickly enough. The end of the 7th episode was heart breaking, and the show really seemed to climax there because a lot of the intrigue got deflated for a while.

But now the shit is about to hit the fan!

It also seems they're covering a lot of ground in this first season, not sure how well Terriers would work long term. I mean, how often can these innocuous P.I.s end up in the middle of "large" conspiracies? More than once and I'll personally start to disbelieve.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby John-Locke on Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:46 pm

It's a shame this show doesn't get better viewing figures and is unlikely to get renewed (last I heard anyways).
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Pacino86845 on Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:54 pm

But it's such a low budget show, mainly relying on its (few) actors and writing... are the numbers really that bad? You always need these "smaller" productions around, and at least here we've got a nice mix of talent involved.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:23 am

What did people think of the ending. My fiancee and I really love this show. It actually gives her as much anxiety as walking dead!

Its just so wonderfully acted with great writing, plots, etc...

The show has got some major balls too. The end of the third episode the suicideis what sealed that this was going to be a great show that wasnt going to pull it's punches.

Please let there be another season. I think it really can have a huge following if people actually start watching it because despite all the harsh shit going on it's really fn funny too and it manages the serialized, stand-alone balance that other shows only dream about.

It was my fiancees favorite show on the air this fall and I think that says a lot when she didnt even want to start it in the first place.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Maui on Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:11 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:Please let there be another season.

Nope, the TV Gods have spoken.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:03 pm

That's really too bad... :(

The show did have kind of a dumb name, especially in terms of hooking viewers in.

I liked the finale, I didn't love it because it ended on sort of a quiet note. I felt they forced the "where are they going next" aspect, so to me it failed as a cliff-hanger type of ending. I did, however, appreciate that the writers/etc. are confident enough not to get too showy with developments.

As for the continuation of the series, the statement I made before still stands:

Pacino86845 wrote:It also seems they're covering a lot of ground in this first season, not sure how well Terriers would work long term. I mean, how often can these innocuous P.I.s end up in the middle of "large" conspiracies? More than once and I'll personally start to disbelieve.

And it looked like they were building up to a continuation of the current conspiracy, not sure how much I would've liked that.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:35 am

Half way through finale right now. Have to say I'm super pissed it got cancelled.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:04 am

Pacino86845 wrote:That's really too bad... :(

The show did have kind of a dumb name, especially in terms of hooking viewers in.

I liked the finale, I didn't love it because it ended on sort of a quiet note. I felt they forced the "where are they going next" aspect, so to me it failed as a cliff-hanger type of ending. I did, however, appreciate that the writers/etc. are confident enough not to get too showy with developments.

As for the continuation of the series, the statement I made before still stands:

Pacino86845 wrote:It also seems they're covering a lot of ground in this first season, not sure how well Terriers would work long term. I mean, how often can these innocuous P.I.s end up in the middle of "large" conspiracies? More than once and I'll personally start to disbelieve.

And it looked like they were building up to a continuation of the current conspiracy, not sure how much I would've liked that.

I dont think they forced the final ntoe at all. If you know Britt you know what he chooses. It seemed pretty obvious which way they would go. The creator even stated in an interview which way they wouldve gone as well.

I also dont think the wouldve necessarily jumped right back in to trying to catch the Ultimate Bad from season 1. I was thinking maybe at some season in the future we wouldve got back to him.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Peven on Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:11 am

worst name for a good show ever, i think, and i wouldn't be surprised if it played a real part in the show having trouble getting off the ground

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:27 pm

The only thing I questioned about the show was the subplot with Katie. It always came across to me like they were grasping at giving the character something to do because they felt they had to and not out of some genuine need to enrich the overall story. That one quibble aside, I thought the show featured fantastic writing and performances. As I said before, watching Donal Logue in a non-comedic role has been great, but watching Michael Raymond-James was phenomenal. With only one previous role of note (to me) he essentially came out of nowhere and knocked it out of the park. I was surprised when it looked like they were going with a season long story because the fashion of late has been to avoid serialized shows. Then they threw a curveball by making it look like that story went away after the third episode, only to bring it back and tie everything together. I will definitely be picking this up on Blu-ray and will be curious to see what the sales numbers are.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:52 pm

If anybody is looking for a rewatch of this it's on Netflix.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:07 am

Just started watching this show on Netflix. Wish me luck Tyrone!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:38 pm

It is wished.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:07 pm

I actually already finished the show! I liked it a lot.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sun May 14, 2017 1:04 am

Glad to hear it.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Return to Coaxial